Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Anyone else feel like the "stumbling across other players" thing sounds less like an MMO and more like Dark Souls? In that game you would find other players wandering around, too, but they were incorporeal ghosts. This seems like the next logical step of that. I'm actually really excited to see that happening.

edit: Another example: Journey.

Funkmaster General fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Moose King posted:

It seems like the Dark Souls/Journey style drop in/drop out system would be cool, but we also have to remember that we're still talking about the XBL playerbase. So while the situation they described where a random person shows up and helps you out and joins your team could absolutely be cool and fun, it will probably be overshadowed by the other ten times where a random person will show up, shoot you in the back of the head, call you a stupid noob, teabag your corpse, and grab that exotic named pistol that you came to Mars for in the first place. On PS3 the same thing will happen, but without the person calling you a noob because they don't have a headset.

I have a strong feeling that PVP stuff will be cordoned off, but I guess we'll see. It would be fun as hell to roll into people's games and troll them down that way, but it wouldn't be very fun when it happened to you five times in a row, so I'm not sure if that's something they're going to go with.

In the Jeff Gerstmann video, the audio keeps cutting out, but he's clearly still talking. Should I assume this is editing cutting out where he talks about stuff he's under NDA for?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

So wait, game journalists are just mad that they didn't see any gameplay? I thought it was kind of a given that nobody would see that until E3?

I mean, even if they were shown gameplay at the event, they'd have been made to sign NDAs to prevent them discussing it at all, surely. There's bits and pieces of it in the vidoc, which I assume they watched at the event as well? What am I missing here? I thought the upset was just that "not enough" was revealed, which is sort of silly, too, because they talked about the exact things I expected them to. I figured it just felt underwhelming to people because of the leaked documents that set them up to already know all of this.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

I remember seeing the first Halo running on a GameStop demo booth when it was about to release. I turned to my mother and said "Look at those graphics! I don't think it's possible to make something look better than that without being photorealistic."

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

It's disappointing that everyone is focused on this weird media... thing. What I took away from the announcements, personally, was that this game sounds loving amazing.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Martytoof posted:

There's absolutely no hope that this has some inter-platform play, right? :(

I think we probably won't see direct cross-platform play (as in, you are on 360 and your friend is on PS3 and you're both playing in the same lobby and shooting the same dudes), because I doubt Sony and Microsoft would allow it. However, I think the overall worldstate will be shared, assuming the game allows players to modify that in some way.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Anyone else suspect Bungie will be on-hand during today's PS4 announcement to say they'll be releasing there, too?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

They showed some in-game footage, supposedly running on the PS4, but I'm still not sure what the game is going to look like when I'm playing it. There was no HUD of any sort, for example.

I also wasn't expecting the "exclusive content on Playstation" thing or a concurrent PS4/PS3 launch.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

I'd have to imagine that when Microsoft reveals their own new console, they'll also have Bungie in. And at that point, there'll probably be more to actually show. I could definitely see exclusives on both sides of the board, too. Bungie's the kind of company that would try to do something like include an exotic helmet that looks like Mark V or an exotic weapon that mimics the AR or BR from Halo, and that would be a no-brainer for Microsoft-exclusive content. It's hard to really judge anything based on this announcement because "content" could mean anything from one piece of cosmetic gear to a whole planet/zone or a DLC exclusivity deal or something.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Skittle Wood posted:

There's also a hint toward the end that there may be some type of exclusive content coming to Sony consoles, but the guy from Bungie was very dodgy about the subject.

Didn't they already say at Sony's PS4 reveal that there would be?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

I'm wondering whether server migrations will be possible.

It'd make sense for a 360 owner who switches to Xbox One, since the gamer tags will be the same.

However, if I buy it for 360 (which I currently have) and later buy a PS4 I'd probably have to make a new account with Bungie.

I'm going to guess that it'll be possible (Bungie is really, really good about keeping tons of stats on you, so I'm sure they'd have the necessary information to recreate a character on a different server), but that you won't be able to transfer characters across rivaling consoles, or step down in generation. So you'd be able to transfer PS3->PS4 or 360->Xbone, but not in any other way.

Pure guesswork, but that's what I'd assume.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Yeah, we've known about the timed-exclusive beta for quite a while now. Bungie's in bed with Sony right now, probably because they (or Activision) are getting tons of money for it. It's got to be nice for Sony to be able to point out that the Halo guys are working with them now.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Jimbot posted:

From all the pre-release stuff they've made it seems like this is an idea they had for years , so I imagine they're keeping this one close to heart and making sure everything about the game is perfect - especially the previews.

The Destiny name and logo appeared in ODST. The idea was pretty advanced by they point if they were already trying to tease it, I'd imagine.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

I said come in! posted:

I still don't understand what Bungie means by Destiny being one persistent world shared among all of the platforms it will be on at launch. That can't possibly be true because Microsoft doesn't allow that for Xbox.

It could mean that the worldstate carries over between platforms, rather than actual crossplatform play. Like, oh someone blew up this building on PSN, and now the buiding is destroyed on XBL, too. Or it's raining in this location across all platforms. Or there's an invasion of 20,000 enemies but all the platforms' kills count towards the end of the event so each console only sees 5,000.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

I know Bungie and Sony are making hot, sweaty love together but does anyone else find it annoying that Sony is getting BOTH an open alpha AND earlier access to the Beta?

I wonder if the beta will run longer on the Bone to even out potential playtime. I really want to get my hands on this.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Guys, you can just preorder on Amazon, get the beta code, and then cancel the preorder.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

So xboners only get the beta for 3 days? Really?

Ugh.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

I'm definitely getting the steelbook edition, but I'll need to see more info on the ghost before committing to the ghost edition. Like a video of it in action or something. It could be really neat but it could just as easily be a McDonald's happy meal toy.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Crows Turn Off posted:

Does the Ghost edition provide any in-game benefit that the Limited edition does not?

Your in-game ghost will be red, instead of white. Whether flagging yourself as a ghost edition buyer is a benefit or not, I'll let you decide.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Dr.Cthulhu posted:

Can these codes that they are giving out on twitter be used for the PS4 or is it strictly PC?

You choose your console when you put the code in. Also this game is not coming to PC.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

The idea of segregating the codes is not to prevent pubbies getting them, it's so the thread won't be 90% posts begging for or offering codes.

Funkmaster General fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Christoff posted:

Probably a dumb question and answer is probably no but has Bungie officially said that beta progress won't carry over?

I pre-ordered from GameStop because they had a trade-in deal. Should I try to upgrade it to the limited edition? Is that extra poo poo worth $5? I know you should avoid DLC with poo poo like COD but I feel like given the hype and already popularity everyone is going to have the DLC.

I have my receipt somewhere I think I read online the beta codes are on the receipt? I preordered about a month ago though.

They haven't officially said so AFAIK but it's a very safe bet that there will be a wipe.

The season pass is worth the update alone IF you plan on sticking with the game. You know your habits better than we do, so that's something easier to answer yourself.

If there's no code on your gamestop reciept, head in and ask for them to print you a fresh one. One from a month ago should have a code, though. Also upgrading to the LE will get you a new code, so may as well find your current one first if you plan on doing so.

• Locked thread