Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
To me, the most entertaining article was on the PA report.

This is what he wrote about a video of testers playing the game, not the game itself because the press was only shown about 10 seconds of gameplay.

Ben Kuchera posted:

We were shown video of two players enjoying Destiny during a recent press event at Bungie’s new offices. Destiny is Bungie’s follow-up to the Halo series, and we watched the players as their faces broke into smiles. One player leaned back to try to find the other in the room.

The game had thrown them together, and they began to work as a team without any prompting, and without any menus or party system getting between the interactions. This was the sort of emergent co-op game play that Bungie is looking for, and you could tell how proud they were of this snippet of video.

This is the heart of Destiny: An always-on, persistent, social first-person shooter. There will be no monthly fee. There could be microtransactions. The first game will be available on PS3 and Xbox 360. You need to be online to play it. Welcome to the future.
Right next to that was the "About PA Report" mission statement, bolded for emphasis:

quote:

"Games Journalism" is broken. Many sites suffer from forced output cycles, "news" about cakes, and playing along with the industry PR machine. We can do better.
Yes, indeed. You do a better job of playing along with the industry PR machine, Ben.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Have they said anything about a PC version at E3? They were coy when asked about it a few months ago at the initial reveal.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

quote:

Destiny is officially available for pre-order on PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Xbox One, and Xbox 360. The Beta will also support all four platforms. Your Destiny Beta Code will grant you access to one of these platforms.
No PC, bleh. That is not a surprise given how they always dodged questions about a PC version but still disappointing.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

I am surprised they announced an exact release date so far in advance. It is also interesting that the beta is hitting Playstation first now.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Also remember that it is basically a FPS MMO, although Bungie people go out of their way to keep from calling it that in interviews.

I wonder if they are going to release more information in the ramp up to E3. The recent attempts to get the hype machine rolling are undermined by using the same Devil's Lair clips in every article and video.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

PvP on the moon map with kills using the Pike vehicle.

I really like what I have seen so far. It is pretty much a FPS MMO, as expected.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

MrBuddyLee posted:

The pop-in and pop-out of other players into your "instance" is seamless and pretty cool, but you lose your new friends if you don't stick fairly close together or join a party together. Hopefully they tweak it such that you're a little more magnetized to a new "pal".
That's interesting. So it really is like Journey? I thought that concept had been dropped after watching some of the alpha streams. They make it look like the sharded zones some MMO use.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Azubah posted:

He may go rampant as the campaign goes on, giving his character a little more life.
Or there might be a M. Night Shyamalan twist where it is revealed that it is a person communicating through the bot while pretending to be an AI.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Lyer posted:

There are raids in this game? I didn't know that. :stare: How difficult are they?
They show and talk about the Vault of Glass at 5:45 in this gameplay trailer. It has jumping puzzle elements. It is going to be GW2 all over again. I'll be the guy missing the first jump like in the video.

I was planning to wait a few more weeks to get a PS4, but I am going to try to get in on that Gamestop $100 credit for trading in a 360 today, if I can find a Gamestop with PS4s in stock.

Edit: fixed bbcode so video starts at the raid part.

grrarg fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jun 14, 2014

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Is there an end-date for the Alpha?
Sunday 6/15 11:59pm Pacific according to a FAQ.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Lumpy posted:

Something I noticed during my time with the Warlock is that you can "cancel" the super-jump / float thing by hitting X a 3rd time. Not sure if that works for the Titan as well, but it came in handy.
You can do that with the Titan too.

The alpha is still up, by the way. Hope they don't turn it off as soon as they get to the office this morning.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Signed up for the new Bungie group with the same name as here. I was in the alpha group too but never got to team up with goons.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

quote:

Q. How long will the Beta run for, and what do we get to play?

Truth be told, we’re still locking down the final details as we speak, dotting the t’s and cross-mapping the i’s. Most of the big rocks are in place, but if you have an eye for detail (and I am told that our community does) then you’ve likely already picked up on some of the clues “carefully hidden” away at http://www.destinythegame.com/beta.
Any idea what that means? Some of the screenshots look like they are from Venus or Mars. I guess we'll find out on July 7 anyway.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

MrLonghair posted:

The top vehicles have three sets of abilities just for travel (Vanguard rank 2 or 3, or Crucible equal), top spaceships (lv15) seem to have nothing to them but unlocking The Reef so there has to be extras with the flair people want to grind for. Would they dare to make a personal vehicle with guns (available only to endgame characters)?
A guy asked the Bungie community manager about personal vehicles with guns in this E3 video. He said they will not because people would never get off their sparrows in exploration maps if they were armed.

He also talks about groups (guilds) having multiple subclans when asked about member limits.

I can't be assed to watch the video again for timestamps.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

From the xbone mocking thread, the first video I've seen of the Xbox One version of Destiny:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLP7j411in8
Even allowing for the fact that the video was compressed at least twice, it looks obviously worse than the PS4 version.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Also add the codes for the Destiny Collector's Cards. They are infinite use codes that will presumably give special Grimoire cards at launch. To use, log in to your bungie.net account then paste the codes at http://www.bungie.net/en/User/coderedemption.

1. YKA-RJG-MH9
  2. 3DA-P4X-F6A
  3. MVD-4N3-NKH
  4. TCN-HCD-TGY
  5. HDX-ALM-V4K
  6. 473-MXR-3X9
  7. JMR-LFN-4A3
  8. HC3-H44-DKC
  9. 69P-KRM-JJA
  10. 69P-VCH-337
  11. 69R-CKD-X7L
  12. 69R-DDD-FCP
  13. 69R-F99-AXG
  14. 69R-VL7-J6A
  15. 69X-DJN-74V
  16. 6A7-7NP-3X7
  17. 6A9-DTG-YGN

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Thank the goon that linked them earlier in the thread after wading through Bungie's horrible forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Yes please make a new thread before the beta. The OP is outdated as hell with almost zero concrete information about the game. The thread is going to explode with questions no matter what because people ignore OPs, but it would be nice to be able to refer them to information more current than the first public reveal of Destiny. Maybe a PGS thread for code begging too, although that might not be that big of an issue since they are giving three codes per person.

• Locked thread