Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

yes posted:

Oh, I see it. I think I'm going to try this. We keep our bloomy cave around 47F and 92-98% humidity. Did you work somewhere within that? I'm worried about properly regulating the moisture when I scale this down into a wine fridge.

The lowest my fridge goes is 50F, and that's where it was for the camembert. Usually I have it at 53 or 54 for firmer cheeses. The fridge itself stays around 75-85%RH thanks to the wet sponge. I put the camembert on a rack inside a large tupperware with a damp paper towel and a loose lid. There isn't enough room to actually put the hygrometer into the tupperware with the cheese, so I'm not sure what the moisture was in there. I did have some precipitation on the tupperware under the cheese when I turned it, so it might have even been too moist. But as you can see, it turned out great regardless. I'm not too worried about perfect consistency for these individual batches that I just consume myself.

Does that answer your question?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010
Happy Raw Milk Cheese Appreciation Day, enjoy your E. coli

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
It's listeria, not E. coli. Get it right man!

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I am about to sit down to a plate of st angel, cowgirl red hawk, Stilton, and clothbound cheddar with a demi baguette and some saucisson sec.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
i like to get the big ol' kirkland bag of mexican cheese mix and use it for quesadillas it melts so nice and gets all gooey and delicious goes great with a michelada too!!

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I got a little thing of jarlsberg that I've been eating through. It's got some kind of paper on the outside that's clearly not edible. My question is, how far deep does the "rind" go? It's clearly soft/edible in the center but as you get towards the rind, there's maybe a cm or so of harder stuff. Is that part of the rind or just a more dried part?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I just started watching Chef's Table, and the opener for the first episode is that there was an earthquake in Italy in 2012 that caused damage to 600,000 wheels of pamigiano reggiano.

The story Massimo Bottura tells of how he came up with a new dish and encouraged the region to use it to help use up these damaged wheels quickly is pretty cool too.

Everyone who has Netflix should watch this show.

Here's "Five Ages of Parmesan" by Massimo:

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

Steve Yun posted:

I just started watching Chef's Table, and the opener for the first episode is that there was an earthquake in Italy in 2012 that caused damage to 600,000 wheels of pamigiano reggiano.

The story Massimo Bottura tells of how he came up with a new dish and encouraged the region to use it to help use up these damaged wheels quickly is pretty cool too.

Everyone who has Netflix should watch this show.

Here's "Five Ages of Parmesan" by Massimo:

The show owns. My favorite is Francis Mallmann's episode, but probably because that's how I wish I could cook all the time, not just on special occasions.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Eeyo posted:

I got a little thing of jarlsberg that I've been eating through. It's got some kind of paper on the outside that's clearly not edible. My question is, how far deep does the "rind" go? It's clearly soft/edible in the center but as you get towards the rind, there's maybe a cm or so of harder stuff. Is that part of the rind or just a more dried part?

Rind is always edible, without exception. Even wax rinds are technically foodsafe. Often, the paper or imprint on the rind just ends up just kind of fusing with the mold as it develops into a rind. Eat as much or as little of it as you are comfortable with.

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010
Eat the whole cheese

Enhydra lutris
Apr 27, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I have devised a Recipe for a Quintuple Cheese Miniature Pizza; it is easy to construct with Ingredients that are readily available from most Super Markets; it requires only a Microwave; a small Plate; a Knife; it is a Wholesome and Friendly Yellow Snack.

The Ingredients are as follows: One (1) Serve of Pita Bread (a Middle Eastern Bread that is flat and round; it is sold at my local Wool Worths Super Markets in packs of Six (6) for Four (4) Dollars and Sixty (60) Cents; this amounts to Seventy Seven (77) Cents per Serving; this is a Bargain); Forty (40) Grams of Cream Cheese Spread; Eighty (80) Grams of Special Filling (Note: I prefer Haloumi Cheese (A Cheese that Squeaks; I enjoy its Unique Texture; you may prefer such Fillings as Bocconcini; Smoked Salmon; Roasted Eggplant; Chick Peas; other; but do not choose a Filling with a very strong flavour; it will overwhelm the Cheese and create a Flavour Storm in your Mouth; it will be a Stressor; furthermore you should only select Fillings in Warm Colours [Yellow; Orange; Pink; etcetera] in order to complement the Cheese and avoid Disharmony); Eighty (80) Grams of Mozzarella Cheese (a Popular Italian Cheese with a stringy Texture); Sixty (60) Grams of Triple Brie Cheese (a Creamy Cheese that melts very well; Camembert can be substituted but is unsatisfactory for the most part); Forty (40) Grams of Gruyère Cheese (a Swiss Variety that melts exceptionally well). Do not adjust or modify this Formula; I have perfected it over many Years; it cannot be improved.

These Photographs show some of these Cheese Varieties; they are intended to act as a Visual Aid to assist you in Shopping; Super Markets are often large and confusing and it can be difficult to locate Products; you do not need to purchase these Exact Brands; Brands may differ in various Countries:

The Method is simple; build a neat Stack of Cheese atop the Pita Bread Base; first spread the Cream Cheese; place the Special Filling in the Centre of the Pita Bread Base; inundate with Mozzarella Cheese; ensure that no Mozzarella Cheese over laps the Edge of the Pita Bread Base (it will spread slightly while melting; it may drop onto the Microwave Plate); finely slice the Triple Brie Cheese and layer over the top; again be sure that the Triple Brie Cheese does not touch the Edge of the Pita Bread Base (it will spread significantly while melting); cover with Gruyère Cheese; again be sure that the Gruyère Cheese does not touch the Edge of the Pita Bread Base (it will spread significantly while melting). Place carefully in the Microwave; take care not to spill the Cheese; it will melt onto the Glass Plate inside the Microwave; it will cause Mess. Adjust the Microwave Power to "High"; set the Timer for One Minute and Thirty (30) Seconds; watch carefully to ensure that no Problems occur; wait for the Microwave Tone (a Sound similar to a chime or a bell; this signifies that the Meal is ready); remove the Quintuple Cheese Miniature Pizza; trim any scraps of Cheese that have melted over the Edges of the Pita Bread Base; eat the Quintuple Cheese Miniature Pizza with a Knife and Fork. It will take numerous Attempts to perfect this Technique; once perfected this is a foolproof Meal; and very rewarding. The Gruyère will melt in such a way that it overlaps the Cheese Tiers; this creates a look similar to an Iced Cake; as seen in this Diagram:

Reasons to partake in a Quintuple Cheese Miniature Pizza: this Recipe is delicious and harmonious in Flavours; each Pizza offers a range of Textures that are intriguing to the Tissues of the Mouth but are not Over Whelming even in Unison; each Pizza is a soothing Yellow Colour; each Pizza is the perfect size for a Meal and it is simple to construct discrete units when you are catering for an Entertainment Function with Friends and/or Loved Ones and it is guaranteed that each discrete unit will be of a Consistent Size and Shape due to the rigid quality control for leading Pita Brands. I hope that you enjoy the Quintuple Cheese Miniature Pizza and that it brings joy and delight to your next Social Occasion; G-d Bless.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Thank you for the helpful diagrams.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

At first I thought this was one of those "joke posts" but uh...I'd eat the poo poo out of that. The diagrams were indeed helpful, but I wanna see some gooey cheese action going on here.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Your figures are numbered out of order, and you also forgot to number the shopping assistance pictures, which are also missing proper figure legends.

Enhydra lutris
Apr 27, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
No No No No No No No

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Enhydra Lutris posted:

I have devised a Recipe for a Quintuple Cheese Miniature Pizza; it is easy to construct with Ingredients that are readily available from most Super Markets; it requires only a Microwave; a small Plate; a Knife; it is a Wholesome and Friendly Yellow Snack.

The Ingredients are as follows: One (1) Serve of Pita Bread (a Middle Eastern Bread that is flat and round; it is sold at my local Wool Worths Super Markets in packs of Six (6) for Four (4) Dollars and Sixty (60) Cents; this amounts to Seventy Seven (77) Cents per Serving; this is a Bargain); Forty (40) Grams of Cream Cheese Spread; Eighty (80) Grams of Special Filling (Note: I prefer Haloumi Cheese (A Cheese that Squeaks; I enjoy its Unique Texture; you may prefer such Fillings as Bocconcini; Smoked Salmon; Roasted Eggplant; Chick Peas; other; but do not choose a Filling with a very strong flavour; it will overwhelm the Cheese and create a Flavour Storm in your Mouth; it will be a Stressor; furthermore you should only select Fillings in Warm Colours [Yellow; Orange; Pink; etcetera] in order to complement the Cheese and avoid Disharmony); Eighty (80) Grams of Mozzarella Cheese (a Popular Italian Cheese with a stringy Texture); Sixty (60) Grams of Triple Brie Cheese (a Creamy Cheese that melts very well; Camembert can be substituted but is unsatisfactory for the most part); Forty (40) Grams of Gruyère Cheese (a Swiss Variety that melts exceptionally well). Do not adjust or modify this Formula; I have perfected it over many Years; it cannot be improved.

These Photographs show some of these Cheese Varieties; they are intended to act as a Visual Aid to assist you in Shopping; Super Markets are often large and confusing and it can be difficult to locate Products; you do not need to purchase these Exact Brands; Brands may differ in various Countries:

The Method is simple; build a neat Stack of Cheese atop the Pita Bread Base; first spread the Cream Cheese; place the Special Filling in the Centre of the Pita Bread Base; inundate with Mozzarella Cheese; ensure that no Mozzarella Cheese over laps the Edge of the Pita Bread Base (it will spread slightly while melting; it may drop onto the Microwave Plate); finely slice the Triple Brie Cheese and layer over the top; again be sure that the Triple Brie Cheese does not touch the Edge of the Pita Bread Base (it will spread significantly while melting); cover with Gruyère Cheese; again be sure that the Gruyère Cheese does not touch the Edge of the Pita Bread Base (it will spread significantly while melting). Place carefully in the Microwave; take care not to spill the Cheese; it will melt onto the Glass Plate inside the Microwave; it will cause Mess. Adjust the Microwave Power to "High"; set the Timer for One Minute and Thirty (30) Seconds; watch carefully to ensure that no Problems occur; wait for the Microwave Tone (a Sound similar to a chime or a bell; this signifies that the Meal is ready); remove the Quintuple Cheese Miniature Pizza; trim any scraps of Cheese that have melted over the Edges of the Pita Bread Base; eat the Quintuple Cheese Miniature Pizza with a Knife and Fork. It will take numerous Attempts to perfect this Technique; once perfected this is a foolproof Meal; and very rewarding. The Gruyère will melt in such a way that it overlaps the Cheese Tiers; this creates a look similar to an Iced Cake; as seen in this Diagram:

Reasons to partake in a Quintuple Cheese Miniature Pizza: this Recipe is delicious and harmonious in Flavours; each Pizza offers a range of Textures that are intriguing to the Tissues of the Mouth but are not Over Whelming even in Unison; each Pizza is a soothing Yellow Colour; each Pizza is the perfect size for a Meal and it is simple to construct discrete units when you are catering for an Entertainment Function with Friends and/or Loved Ones and it is guaranteed that each discrete unit will be of a Consistent Size and Shape due to the rigid quality control for leading Pita Brands. I hope that you enjoy the Quintuple Cheese Miniature Pizza and that it brings joy and delight to your next Social Occasion; G-d Bless.

Since you appear to be an enthusiast of fine cheeses, I would like to draw your attention to the traditional method of eating haloumi cheese (best at breakfast time):

1. Cut your Haloumi into slices of consistent thickness (1cm)
2. cook your haloumi in a lightly oiled frying pan, or a barbeque grill, or under the grill of your stove
3. consume immediately with a squeeze of lemon.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I haven't had halloumi in ages, such good stuff.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Possibly better than feta in salads, too.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Enhydra Lutris posted:

you are given a gift and this is how you treat it. hosed up gws

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Y'know, if he did it on a tortilla and charcoal grill, we'd call it Bar Pizza and applaud.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

What a g-ddamn silly probe

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Awesome! posted:

you are given a gift and this is how you treat it. hosed up gws

worse than chickencheese

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

rise up, overthrow the modarchy

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Enhydra Lutris posted:

Not spelling the entire word "God" is actually a serious thing that some Jews adhere to, rooted in traditional Jewish law. So, uh, good job actually persecuting a guy for his religious beliefs?

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 15, 2015

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
thank you for probating that unfunny gimmick poster

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Lizard Wizard posted:

Not spelling the entire word "God" is actually a serious thing that some Jews adhere to, rooted in traditional Jewish law. So, uh, good job actually persecuting a guy for his religious beliefs?

Maybe they should make their beliefs less stupid?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Can I inline goatse people if I say it's a part of my religion?

hoshkwon
Jun 27, 2011
Speaking as a poor college student, are the cheeses from cowgirl creamery actually worth their price? I mean a small wheel of their red hook is like $23. They seem to get lots of hype lately.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
If you are a poor college student, I am 100% confident you can find better ways to spend your money than Cowgirl Creamery.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Cowgirl Creamery cheeses are like fine crystal glassware – it's absolutely worth the price once the price is a significantly smaller percentage of your net worth.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Cowgirl creamery stuff is extremely extremely good.

Even as a poor college student you should get one some time as a treat.

You might also ask if they'd cut and wrap half of one for you. That's partly what the cheese monger is there for! And you can't get hooked on it until you have a try...

I've gotten halves from a whole foods here before, they just had them sitting with the whole rounds.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 28, 2015

hoshkwon
Jun 27, 2011
Yeah

hakimashou posted:

Cowgirl creamery stuff is extremely extremely good.

Even as a poor college student you should get one some time as a treat.

You might also ask if they'd cut and wrap half of one for you. That's partly what the cheese monger is there for! And you can't get hooked on it until you have a try...

I've gotten halves from a whole foods here before, they just had them sitting with the whole rounds.

Hmm maybe on my next paycheck. Or during a special occasion. I'm pretty happy with my trader joe's cheese for now though.

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010
A couple days ago I had to cut and wrap one ounce of Romano for a lady because she didn't want to buy the whole $5 piece, just 75 cents.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

hoshkwon posted:

Hmm maybe on my next paycheck. Or during a special occasion. I'm pretty happy with my trader joe's cheese for now though.

You underestimate the cheesemongers at Whole foods. poo poo, they'll let you taste as many samples as you want (I usually don't go in for more than 3 or 4 depending on what I'm buying) and they usually make great recommendations.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

dumptruckzzz posted:

A couple days ago I had to cut and wrap one ounce of Romano for a lady because she didn't want to buy the whole $5 piece, just 75 cents.

Sounds like some I'm Gonna Get You Sucka-level partitioning right there.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

graybook posted:

Sounds like some I'm Gonna Get You Sucka-level partitioning right there.

Hey, when they say they break packages, I take advantage.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I bought some raw milk grayson and goat's milk moldy cheese yesterday. It was unrefrigerated for about 12 hours. Is it still okay to eat you think? I can't tell if it's gone bad by the sniff test.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 1, 2015

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The whole point of cheese was to make milk last a long time.

You're fine. Worst case scenario, it is more runny than you'd like or there is an oxidized rind that doesn't taste as good.

At 12 hours that isn't worth worrying about. So even then, you're worst case isn't a problem.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

GUYS. I DID IT. I GOT THE HOOKS 10/15/20 YEAR CHEESE TASTING. HOLY gently caress.

:snoop: :eyepop: :catdrugs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Enhydra lutris posted:

Great post and looking forward to trying this in the future. I had remarked recently to friends about a series of dreams where I was bitten by large cats and realized that it was due to eating some blue cheese (gargonzola) several days in a row. Be careful out there to the cheese enthusiasts!!

• Locked thread