Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Princess Neurotica
Jul 31, 2008

If you can ever get your hands mouth on Jeffs Select Gouda, do it. I can only find it for purchase by the 11-pound wheel, which seems excessive even for me, but I love it so much that I actually considered getting into the distribution racket (or, as a friend of mine put it, "Stringer Bell dat cheese").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Kerrygold Dubliner is delicious. Just got some from my local Hannaford yesterday, eating it with my homemade pancetta tesa.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Martello posted:

Kerrygold Dubliner is delicious. Just got some from my local Hannaford yesterday, eating it with my homemade pancetta tesa.

It also makes really, really loving good mac and cheese.

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010

Nostrum posted:

It also makes really, really loving good mac and cheese.

I had to sample out a bunch of Adams Reserve Cheddar at a local wine thing, it was all donated cheese from either the company or our warehouses so I walked away with a 4 pound block of cheese (and free wine). I see a lot of awesome mac and cheese in the future

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Lot of mediocre cheeselovin' going on in this thread, but that's okay. Cheese is wonderful. In terms of the really mass produced stuff, I thoroughly enjoy port salut on sandwiches. Very sweet, delicious with vegetables on bread.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

mindphlux posted:

so, my favorite cheese might be epoisses. anyone have any suggestions for new things I might try or look out for based on that? I think I've exhausted my local importer's selection, but might as well ask.

conversely, if any of you are far away from the southeast and happen to see Sweet Grass Dairy's Green Hill cheese - it's loving amazing. grab a bottle of the most expensive champaigne you can afford, get a wheel of that poo poo, eat it, drink, and have copious amounts of sex with whoever happens to be nearby and somewhat amicable.

Epoisses is rowdy; it's like camenbert if it went to the bad and started smoking hard drugs and didn't give any kind of shits about what the pastor thought about it. Personally I went the blue cheese route at that stage and dove into cambozola and oh my god, roquefort.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Pookah posted:

Epoisses is rowdy; it's like camenbert if it went to the bad and started smoking hard drugs and didn't give any kind of shits about what the pastor thought about it. Personally I went the blue cheese route at that stage and dove into cambozola and oh my god, roquefort.

honestly, I don't think I'm that extreme cheese wise. I love blue cheese, but I regularly get blues that I think are way too ammonia'y and won't eat. I prefer dense salty milky sweet blues - my favorite right now is hook's tilston point. (loving AMAZING)

maybe I've just gotten under ripe epoisses? I don't think I'd say they're that crazy on the funk level or anything - definitely more funky than camembert, but on a slightly different axis? though all I've had have been practically falling apart, so maybe I'm just pretending I'm not that in to extreme cheeses. god. I love epoisses.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Mar 27, 2013

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
So i picked up this cheese in the fancy cheese section of my local grocery store. I heard it tasted like sweet caramel and had an odd swedish name, came in a little package and was square. Instead of sweet it tasted horrible with a barely detectable caramel flavor. Was it a bad chunk? I was all excited to try it too cause i like caramel. :(:

SacrificialGoat
Oct 8, 2003

Catjaw is a hero of the people

Captainsalami posted:

So i picked up this cheese in the fancy cheese section of my local grocery store. I heard it tasted like sweet caramel and had an odd swedish name, came in a little package and was square. Instead of sweet it tasted horrible with a barely detectable caramel flavor. Was it a bad chunk? I was all excited to try it too cause i like caramel. :(:

Does said cheese have a name? This is kind of vague.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Ski Queen gjetost, I wanna say. It had an odd name like that (well, odd to me).

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.

Captainsalami posted:

Ski Queen gjetost, I wanna say. It had an odd name like that (well, odd to me).

gjetost is mostly tangy, but with hints of salty and sweet and a very "milky" flavor. Sorry you didn't like it, it's one of my favorite cheeses, especially served on hot apple pie.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Ahh, I must have had the wrong name, but I swear i remember some goon in another thread somewhere posted a picture of the cheese saying it had a caramel, sweet and rich flavor, which made me excited to try it cause I love the gently caress out of some caramel. Was kinda a downer to get that stuff instead. :v:

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.

Captainsalami posted:

Ahh, I must have had the wrong name, but I swear i remember some goon in another thread somewhere posted a picture of the cheese saying it had a caramel, sweet and rich flavor, which made me excited to try it cause I love the gently caress out of some caramel. Was kinda a downer to get that stuff instead. :v:

No that's what you had. Gjetost has a distinct caramel flavor in all of that.

I make mysost, which is the same method but with cow's milk instead of goat's milk that makes gjetost.

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010

Captainsalami posted:

I'm interested to hear what you thought tasted horrible about it, I've always really liked gjetost and I guess I thought it was on of those cheeses that anyone could like.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
It just tasted really bitter to me when I tried it, and I could barely taste the caramel flavor. Which is odd to me cause I usually have a very good sense of taste. I dunno, maybe it was a lovely piece cause I live in a kinda small town where I cant imagine anyone really ever buys that stuff.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

Ski queen is a pretty homogenized brand so I can't imagine it would be all that different

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

It's important to keep in mind that gjetost tastes sweet and caramel-y for a cheese. If you just want caramel, you should eat caramel. If you want something that is definitely cheese, but would be great shaved over some waffles, then you want gjetost.

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.
I work in an Italian grocery that imports a lot of unusual cheeses. Here are a few to look out for:

Beppino Occelli are a company in Piemonte with some unusual but very popular cheeses:
Alla Frutta e Grappa di Moscato - 1 year aged sheep & cow's milk with a layer of dried fruit and grappa (an Italian variation of brandy). One of the most popular ones we carry; you can really smell/taste the effect the grappa has on this cheese.
Al Malto d'Orzo e Whisky A goat/cow one with barley malt and whisky that's my favourite of theirs.
Occelli in Foglie Tabacco This one's wrapped in tobacco leaf. (No, it does not taste like cigarettes.)

Toniolo are in Veneto:
Pratomagno is one of my personal favourites. 1 year aged cow's milk, a bit harder than Parmigiano, but with a wonderful bubbly/crystallized texture.
Bastardo del Grappa is a raw cow's milk cheese, softer with small holes throughout.
Sior Moro da Selva is an old-fashioned cheese related to Asiago.
Cuor di Fieno is aged in fragrant hay; it actually comes still wrapped in the hay when it gets here.

Il Forteto are from Toscana, and make fantastic pecorino (sheep's milk cheeses). No English website, though.
Re Nero is a firm white cheese aged for 3 months in an olive oil & vegetable ash rind, giving it the namesake black outside.
Caciotta degli Angeli (angel's Caciotta) is a smooth, creamy cheese (texture similar to a Brie) made from cow and sheep's milk.
Cacio de Fossa is aged in a cave from August-November. It ends up with a rough squareish shape and piquant taste.
Brillo is a pecorino aged 4 months, then soaked in red wine for a month, absorbing the tastes and aroma of the wine, and ending up with a purple-red rind. This one smells (and tastes) amazing.
Cacio de Bosco is one for those who love truffles.

Other cheeses to try:

Burrata is sort of like a balloon of fresh mozzarella filled with cream and threads of mozzarella. Super creamy. Lots of companies make burrata, not just in Italy.
Stracciatella is just the creamy filling from burrata; I had a customer who would buy a 1L tub every week.
Sardo (not Pecorino Sardo) is a hard yellow cow's milk cheese from Argentina; not too strong, but flavourful.
Moody Blue is a smoked blue cheese from Wisconsin. A bit of an unusual combination that works very well.
Comedy option: Casu Marzu, a Sardinian pecorino known for its aging process using live cheese fly maggots.

WD40
Nov 25, 2005

I see a lot of horrible stuff being called 'Cheddar'. Bear in mind that Cheddar is a place in England, real Cheddar comes from there and doesn't at all resemble the various plastic abominations you call Cheddar cheese in the US. For real Cheddar, import anything labelled 'West Country Farmhouse Cheddar' from the UK

As far as good cheese goes, I urge all of you to try Roquefort:

It's made from unpasteurised Ewe's milk and is matured in specific French caves, where it's colonised by a unique strain of Penicillium Roqueforti which naturally grows there. It has a very strong, sharp flavour with a heavy umami (glutamate) taste. The blue veins are tangy and delicious and complement the creaminess of the cheese perfectly. The outside can't really be called rind at all, is edible and has a slight salty crunch. It's my favourite cheese.

You should also try Comte:

This is a fantastic cheese made from unpasteurised Cow's milk. It has a strong nutty flavour like Emmental on its own, but hwere it really shines is melted, either in a grilled cheese sandwich or in fondue. I had it once at a market stall, melted straight from the wheel and served on breadsticks. It was absolutely out of this world, one of the best flavours I've ever tasted. You owe it to yourselves to eat melted Comte cheese at least once.

WD40 fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 11, 2013

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Kenning posted:

It's important to keep in mind that gjetost tastes sweet and caramel-y for a cheese. If you just want caramel, you should eat caramel. If you want something that is definitely cheese, but would be great shaved over some waffles, then you want gjetost.

yeah, I agree with this.

I thought mimolette tasted pretty caramel-y the first time I had it, but it was totally a savory bitter caramel - not like a syrupy sweet caramel.

man also, I just found this page

http://www.cheesesoffrance.com/more_on_cheese.html?expandable=0&show=cheese&sel=Abondance&#Abondance

hell yeah. relieved that I can identify/describe about 50% of them off the top of my head. I've come a long way since the dark days of no-cheese-knowledge.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

One of the best cheeses I've ever had is Cahill's Irish Porter Cheddar. In the past, I've found it at Costco around St. Patrick's Day, but only random years -- not every year, and definitely not yet this year. It is a beautiful, striking cheese, and as delicious as you would expect:

One year it came in a three-pack with Irish Whiskey Cheddar and slightly sweet and tart Ardagh Wine Cheddar, which were good, but not nearly as good as the Irish Porter:

I've never seen it anywhere else, even Whole Foods. I guess I could order it online if I wanted it that badly, but shipping is a killer.

Just found some of this at the cheese counter at my local Safeway, half-buried under some English cheeses. You're right, it's quite good. They also had gjetost but by the time I saw it I was already loaded up; I'll save it for next time.

I see that there.
Aug 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The fromagerie right around the corner from me is selling 29 year aged cheddar.
I think I'm going to buy some for my wife as an anniversary present...

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I see that there. posted:

The fromagerie right around the corner from me is selling 29 year aged cheddar.
I think I'm going to buy some for my wife as an anniversary present...

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight...let me guess, last year you got her a bowling ball?

I see that there.
Aug 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
She actually wanted it for her birthday but I said no because I'm a huge jerk.

nazutul
Jul 12, 2006
Lemme tell you something, boy

WD40 posted:

You should also try Comte

Jesus, thank you for this. I had some Comte melted on toast today for breakfast and it was unbelievably good!

Luminaz
Mar 9, 2013

oops !
And for people than enjoy goat cheese, you need to try some "Cabecou", french cheese, strong in taste but delicious !

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

WD40 posted:

As far as good cheese goes, I urge all of you to try Roquefort:

It's made from unpasteurised Ewe's milk and is matured in specific French caves, where it's colonised by a unique strain of Penicillium Roqueforti which naturally grows there. It has a very strong, sharp flavour with a heavy umami (glutamate) taste. The blue veins are tangy and delicious and complement the creaminess of the cheese perfectly. The outside can't really be called rind at all, is edible and has a slight salty crunch. It's my favourite cheese.

:hfive:

What are some good accompaniments for roquefort (crackers/fruit/antipastos and such)?
Also, are there any blues that are similar to roquefort in taste?

The only other blues I've tried were:
raw milk Stilton - a little old-sock-ish for me
Gorgonzola - alright, but nothing special
Danish blue - yech, like eating coins
Some Quebec :canada: blue cheese I can't remember the name of that tasted vaguely similar to roquefort

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 23, 2013

Luminaz
Mar 9, 2013

oops !

Mister Macys posted:

What are some good accompaniments for roquefort (crackers/fruit/antipastos and such)?

The only other blues I've tried were:
raw milk Stilton - a little old-sock-ish for me
Gorgonzola - alright, but nothing special
Danish blue - yech, like eating coins
Some Quebec :canada: blue cheese I can't remember the name of that tasted vaguely similar to roquefort

I love it into omelette or simply with french bread :)
I never tasted another cheese similar to this one, it's very specific.

Affably Evil
Nov 10, 2012

Mister Macys posted:

Roquefort is amazing on quite plain crackers with some kind of tart jam. I sampled it at Whole Foods with a merlot cranberry jam on some fancy but bland saltine cracker and bought the entire combination on the spot. (Went for the cheaper crackers though.)

1024x768
Oct 25, 2004

oh god
This thread inspired me to finally bite the bullet and pick up some Roquefort. I was impressed at the complexity, but it is very, very strong. I picked up some 1000 day aged gouda from Trader Joe's as well as some italian truffle cheese today. I'll post a trip report later!

Luminaz
Mar 9, 2013

oops !

1024x768 posted:

This thread inspired me to finally bite the bullet and pick up some Roquefort. I was impressed at the complexity, but it is very, very strong. I picked up some 1000 day aged gouda from Trader Joe's as well as some italian truffle cheese today. I'll post a trip report later!

If you come to france you will find stronger cheese than roquefort ;)
But yeah it's a nice one for that :)

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
I'm just starting to dip my toes into the cheese world, but drat I love Sulguni.
It's just so nice, but it's in no way sharp or tangy like these other cheeses.
I'm thinking about getting some 7 year cheddar, though.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
I'm stationed at Ft Drum, NY, which is not really known to be a foodie area. But there are a few gems up here. There's an awesome local cheese company called 1000 Islands River Rat Cheese in Clayton, about 30 minutes from post up by the St Lawrence River. They make mostly different kinds and ages of cheddar, including a 3-Year XXX Sharp. It's easily my favorite cheddar. Sharp, tangy, and with that crunchy crystallization.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Seconding the love for Irish beer-cheese. Here in Britain one of our supermarket chains, Waitrose, has made their own version with Murhy's Irish Stout and it's loving killer grilled on toast, especially with some fine-diced pickled Jalapenos thrown in.

Pookah posted:

I loving love Epoisses. I live about 25 miles off the Normandy coast so we import all sorts of wicked French soft cheeses. My favourite has to be Pont L'Evecque.

Came in here to tell you all about Västerbottensost though. I've never, ever seen this cheese in the local Delicatessens until recently, apparently not much makes it out of Sweden. It's like a perfect cross between Cheddar and Parmesan.

Wikipedia posted:

The village of Burträsk (now part of the Skellefteå municipality) claims Västerbotten cheese was invented there in the 1870s, supposedly by a dairy maid, Eleonora Lindström. According to legend, she was left alone to stir the curd of a traditional cheese but was interrupted, either by other chores or an assignation with her lover. This resulted in alternating periods of heating and stirring of the curdling milk. Västerbotten cheese is produced only by Norrmejerier, at the dairy in Burträsk.

In Sweden, Västerbotten cheese is considered a must-have for the late summer Crayfish party. It adds distinctive flavor to the highly popular Västerbotten cheese pie.

Affably Evil
Nov 10, 2012
I'm looking for a particular cheese that I had at a dinner party a while ago, I was stupid and forgot to remember the name. :/

The meal was a really simple pasta dish with spinach and no sauce, but it was served with a cheese similar to brie that had been baked in its rind. It got very runny and each person scooped some over the pasta. It was AMAZING. What kind of cheese would work well for this? I remember it being stronger than brie but not overwhelming for the amount we scooped. (Which was a lot. I like cheese.)

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Affably Evil posted:

I'm looking for a particular cheese that I had at a dinner party a while ago, I was stupid and forgot to remember the name. :/

The meal was a really simple pasta dish with spinach and no sauce, but it was served with a cheese similar to brie that had been baked in its rind. It got very runny and each person scooped some over the pasta. It was AMAZING. What kind of cheese would work well for this? I remember it being stronger than brie but not overwhelming for the amount we scooped. (Which was a lot. I like cheese.)

Probably Camembert. I'll cut the top off and smear on a few minced garlic cloves and rosemary with a bit of olive oil, then bake until runny.

1024x768
Oct 25, 2004

oh god
The Italian Truffle Cheese from Trader Joe's @ $11.99/lb: It's a soft white cheese with flecks of black truffle throughout. As the cheese warms up between room temperature and refridgerator temperature, the truffle really starts to emerge as the dominant flavor. If you like truffles, you're probably going to enjoy this. I found it a little strong for my taste.

The 1000 Days Aged Gouda from Trader Joe's @ $11.99/lb: Holy poo poo go buy this right now if it's near you. It's every bit as complex and buttery and interesting as you can imagine. Easily one of the better cheeses I've ever had.

Snidely Whiplash
Jun 24, 2007
Oh Bugger!

Affably Evil posted:

Robiola would work, being an Italian soft cheese.

http://www.murrayscheese.com/robiola-bosina.html

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I just bought a sweet grass dairy - green hill round for an upcoming celebration for my gal next weekend. it's a loving ultra rich brie/camembert/epoisses style that's pretty mild and semisoft when it's just getting ripe, but gets nice, melty and tangy once it's overripe. anyways, the store I got it from sold a round for like $7, which was amazing - usually it's $11-14. the dairy-stamped 'ripe now' date is today, so a week from now it should be pretty meltingly rowdy outrageous. mmmmmmmmmmm. cheese.

if any of you ever see it in a store, buy it. it's one of my favorite american cheeses by far. also perfect with dry sparking wines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Medic
Apr 15, 2013

Going to space today!
I live in a really rural area with a lot of ranches and farms nearby, and the local farmer's market is always full of great cheeses. There's a guy who does cheddar, asiago, and mozzarella with goat and sheep milk - very different, kind of nutty too. The asiago he does is a "fresh" style, so it's not bad to put on sandwiches. Honestly it's got a bit of a...mm...musky, almost, flavour, the last time I tried it, though. I really prefer the Costco fresh asiago - that always puts a dent in my paycheck. So worth it though.

• Locked thread