Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tamoka
Feb 19, 2013
I'm pretty hyped about this game too, looking promising up until now. But so did other games. So I wonder how much credit we can put on Jeremy Gaffney' words.

Does anyone know who the other developers are that are in Carbine' team? Because Jeremy Gaffney keeps saying they have such a high amount of expertise in their team. That their developers have worked on a lot of 'big' MMO and RPG games in the past, but I can't seem to find any information as to who they actually are and what they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Tamoka posted:

Does anyone know who the other developers are that are in Carbine' team? Because Jeremy Gaffney keeps saying they have such a high amount of expertise in their team. That their developers have worked on a lot of 'big' MMO and RPG games in the past, but I can't seem to find any information as to who they actually are and what they did.

http://www.linkedin.com/company/carbine-studios/employee-insights?trk=tabs_biz_insights

You can see a list of all their employees and their names and google E-stalk them if you want, but I am not going to do that.

"WHERE EMPLOYEES CAME FROM

Blizzard Entertainment (14)
NCSOFT (8)
Sony Online Entertainment (7)
Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC (4)
BioWare Mythic (4)
"

Also, welcome to SA.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 19, 2013

Tuxedo Mask
Feb 24, 2009

The dude with the tude.

Tamoka posted:

I'm pretty hyped about this game too, looking promising up until now. But so did other games. So I wonder how much credit we can put on Jeremy Gaffney' words.

I don't know who specifically, but I do know on Blizzard Entertainment's wikipedia page it says that Carbine Studios was made by people that used to be Blizzard employees, so I'd assume people that worked on wow.

On their company site it says "we worked on a lot of them: titles like World of Warcraft, Everquest 1 and 2, Warhammer Online, City of Heroes, Free Realms, Diablo II, StarCraft. We've also had our hands in some other games you might recognize, like Fallout, Metroid Prime, and...well, you get the point." So I'd assume they only hired people from other mmo companies for the most part.

Tuxedo Mask fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 19, 2013

Beach Party
May 2, 2012

"I took the most excellent hit of my life. Next thing I knew, I was on the beach taking in some cosmic rays gettin healed by mother nature. Takin in a little brewski, holdin on to a beautiful babe. And I'm fine today!"
Found this pretty good 37 minute long video showing off a low level zone from the game. You get to see esper and explorer gameplay along with the first instance area in the zone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiOseZt_dDo

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Teerack posted:

It was kinda hard to find images of the other genders so i made these.

Want to punch that first girl in the mouth. That second one, though? Holy poo poo the :smug: is just perfect.

Tamoka
Feb 19, 2013

BadLlama posted:

http://www.linkedin.com/company/carbine-studios/employee-insights?trk=tabs_biz_insights

You can see a list of all their employees and their names and google E-stalk them if you want, but I am not going to do that.

"WHERE EMPLOYEES CAME FROM

Blizzard Entertainment (14)
NCSOFT (8)
Sony Online Entertainment (7)
Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC (4)
BioWare Mythic (4)
"

Also, welcome to SA.

Cool, thank you. Never thought about looking them up at linkedin. Good to know Jeremy Gaffney wasn't exaggerating about their development team.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

BexGu posted:

Now I can't figure out if this is something ALL character can do (sort of like how Earth and Beyond had three different XP bars based on combat/exploring/trade) and a player can pick and choose which path to focus on or that a player is locked into one path per character.
I think paths are something all characters can do. They will have a path just for the player housing, so it makes sense if you can do all of them. They are calling them paths because they'll help direct the player.

Here's a newer video from PAX 2012.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtK-8sUazUs

Yaos fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 19, 2013

Tuxedo Mask
Feb 24, 2009

The dude with the tude.
I'm REALLY hoping these are the 4th Exile race.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Teerack posted:

I'm REALLY hoping these are the 4th Exile race.

They're standard enemies in the esper/explorer gameplay video a few posts up. In (pre-Cataclysm) WoW, they'd be leper gnomes.

Yaos posted:

I think paths are something all characters can do.

Unless things have changed since the already-mentioned video, path is selected at chargen.

e: To add to that, paths just appear to be alternate sets of chained quests. Presumably, they did this so you can level up 4 characters per faction without too much repetition.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 19, 2013

Tuxedo Mask
Feb 24, 2009

The dude with the tude.

Hello Sailor posted:

They're standard enemies in the esper/explorer gameplay video a few posts up. In (pre-Cataclysm) WoW, they'd be leper gnomes.

Unless things have changed since the already-mentioned video, path is selected at chargen.

e: To add to that, paths just appear to be alternate sets of chained quests. Presumably, they did this so you can level up 4 characters per faction without too much repetition.

In the commentary of that video he descried them as "An indigenous race of goblin shaman like people." I don't think it be that out there to think there could be a race of people native of nexus on each faction, or sense you compared them to leper gnomes there could be a faction/bread of them that is smarter/friendly like normal gnomes.

They also said that because the Exiles and the Dominion have just gotten to Nexus they wouldn't have any big cities and just some settlements, so if they had two races from Nexus then they could have capitals for those races for the factions to use.

Tuxedo Mask fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 19, 2013

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Teerack posted:

In the commentary of that video he descried them as "An indigenous race of goblin shaman like people." I don't think it be that out there to think there could be a race of people native of nexus on each faction,

They don't match the glimpses we've had of the factions' fourth races at all. The Exile fourth race is very clearly a Necron knockoff of some sort, similar to the Arisen in Allods; it may be that they're the animated remains of the race that once inhabited the planet and left behind all those artifacts.

Tuxedo Mask
Feb 24, 2009

The dude with the tude.

Hello Sailor posted:

They don't match the glimpses we've had of the factions' fourth races at all. The Exile fourth race is very clearly a Necron knockoff of some sort, similar to the Arisen in Allods; it may be that they're the animated remains of the race that once inhabited the planet and left behind all those artifacts.

Yeah I guess that's true. I hope they become part of the exiles at some point in an expansion or something.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Yaos posted:

I think paths are something all characters can do. They will have a path just for the player housing, so it makes sense if you can do all of them. They are calling them paths because they'll help direct the player.

Here's a newer video from PAX 2012.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtK-8sUazUs

People are still going to stand in the loving acid. :negative:

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
The style and the fact that it looks like a proper Star Wars MMO has me interested, though a friend at NCsoft mentioned that they might be making this a subscription-based game, so who knows how it'll turn out. I do think the industry needs to slow down on theme-park MMOs for a while, but that's just me.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

poptart_fairy posted:

Want to punch that first girl in the mouth. That second one, though? Holy poo poo the :smug: is just perfect.

The human females eyes are so wide they almost run off their faces.

Ezenunim
Jun 21, 2012
Curious to see what Wildstar will have to offer. NCSoft is in the process of taking down the old City of Heroes/Villains servers and converting them to Wildstar. Rumors of friends/family keys being released are floating around. All possible signs closed beta is near.

Most commentary I've heard revolves around Wildstar being a WoW clone and first impressions have been mostly indifferent. Not sure how much is NCSoft/GW2 based disappointment. A subscription model is not the best choice if it's being considered by NCSoft, but they probably think they can pull a TSW/SWTOR and pull the sub model if it's rejected by the player base.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Ezenunim posted:

Curious to see what Wildstar will have to offer. NCSoft is in the process of taking down the old City of Heroes/Villains servers and converting them to Wildstar. Rumors of friends/family keys being released are floating around. All possible signs closed beta is near.

Most commentary I've heard revolves around Wildstar being a WoW clone and first impressions have been mostly indifferent. Not sure how much is NCSoft/GW2 based disappointment. A subscription model is not the best choice if it's being considered by NCSoft, but they probably think they can pull a TSW/SWTOR and pull the sub model if it's rejected by the player base.

I think we are starting to see a world where subscription based MMO's are going to be a thing of the past. At a certain point companies have to learn that the WoW model only really works for WoW. (Eve online kinda gets around this by allowing in-game currency to buy subscription cards). Besides WoW and Eve are there any big MMO's that still do subscriptions?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

BexGu posted:

Besides WoW and Eve are there any big MMO's that still do subscriptions?

Rift.

But yeah there aren't many MMOs left with mandatory subscription plans.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

If they plan to go with a sub at launch is the difference between a first day purchase or skipping the game entirely for me. Even if it turns out to be a mediocre title, knowing that I can always log in when I have an itch to play without having to resub is nice. I wouldn't be surprised if the prediction that they start with subfee and then drop it after six months or so becomes true, if so I'll probably wait to buy the box like I did with TSW.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening
Rock Paper Shotgun did a write up on it on the 13th. After reading that I'm cautiously optimistic about this.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/13/wildstar-preview-2/

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Tamoka posted:

Cool, thank you. Never thought about looking them up at linkedin. Good to know Jeremy Gaffney wasn't exaggerating about their development team.

Unfortunately, experience in this genre means little to nothing. We have seen the genre blown to 10 million subscriptions designed by two guys that only played these games before, and we have seen relic designers continue to bust terrible game out after terrible game and sink/waste hundreds of millions of dollars. Actually, at this point, I would be more fired up for it had it had only developers who were fans of the genre but never made one before.

At any rate, it's best not to get hyped up at all after what we have seen come through the genre in the last 3 years. At the very least it seems to go against the status quo of the current MMORPG flock.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

BexGu posted:

I think we are starting to see a world where subscription based MMO's are going to be a thing of the past. At a certain point companies have to learn that the WoW model only really works for WoW. (Eve online kinda gets around this by allowing in-game currency to buy subscription cards). Besides WoW and Eve are there any big MMO's that still do subscriptions?

My speculation is that they suffer from wishful thinking. Every (US/European) MMO designer goes in hoping for the next WoW, so they can rake in tons of cash. When it turns out not to be the next WoW, they drop the subscription model after a while.

They probably also pitch it as subscription-based when they go looking for funding, holding out "the next WoW" as the lure for their investors.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

If you want to do subscription only, then you have to do it like Rift and just pump out a ton of content/changes. And even then, Rift was able to continue pumping out content after the swtor hit because the company was on a 3 game investment and could afford to lose money for a bit. It's making money, but now it's entering the phase where it is Trion's cash cow and you don't spend a lot of time making content for the cash cow. But without that content, the sub model doesn't do well. Sorry for the derail, but I think it's pertinent to new games looking at a sub model. It also works for very niche games, Camelot unleashed will be sub, but their goal is 50k subs and not a million.

F2p isn't always roses, I am not happy with GW2's model of making the endgame a huge gold grind and influencing people to buy gold.

torgo
Aug 13, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ezenunim posted:

I signed up for the beta when the last thread was still active. A week or two ago I got an email asking me to take a "pre-beta" survey which would improve my chances of getting into the beta. I'm not holding my breath though. I hardly ever get any interesting beta invites.

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009

torgo posted:

I signed up for the beta when the last thread was still active. A week or two ago I got an email asking me to take a "pre-beta" survey which would improve my chances of getting into the beta. I'm not holding my breath though. I hardly ever get any interesting beta invites.

My beta signup confirmation mail was from August 2011, and I've yet to receive such an invitation. Hm..

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

torgo posted:

I think you're is in, this is what you get for signing up:

quote:

Thank you for your interest in helping test WildStar! Once beta begins, accepted applications will receive an email with additional instructions.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

I think it was just a general newsletter. I got one on Feb. 8th. It has a link to the "Pre-Beta Survey" and says:

quote:

You signed up for the beta, and Carbine is about to call you up for active duty!

Want to improve your chances to get invited to beta? Take our Pre-beta survey!

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Catsworth posted:

I think it was just a general newsletter. I got one on Feb. 8th. It has a link to the "Pre-Beta Survey" and says:

Well then, I should have signed up for the newsletter in 2011.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Any one else getting a total Chaos Warrior's vibe from the Lizardmen demon things? I mean "Skulls for the skull pile for a blood ritual" really? Isn't that like Khorne's thing.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

That houses trailer was so Ratchet and Clank I'm almost tempted to try this.

Build a -defensive- cannon!

Tuxedo Mask
Feb 24, 2009

The dude with the tude.
Whole bunch of new screen shots are out

http://www.muchmoregaming.com/2013/02/27/new-wildstar-screens-show-the-mechari-draken-stalker/

They also revealed the guy who discovered nexus.

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/wildstar_wednesday_designing_game_lore.php

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

The art for this reminds me of an old PSX game, Wild 9.

Tupper
Sep 1, 2007

Fun will now commence.
I heard about this game only a few months back and it looks really interesting. The first videos I watched were on the telegraphs and my reaction was along the lines of "seriously this is your idea of innovation?" But then I saw the housing video and the race intros and the characters/art is just so ridiculously endearing to me. Plus the setting is pretty much ideal for what I like in games.

I like the "paths" system but I really hope it can be implemented well and stuck-to. I mean some days I want to smack the poo poo out of some bad guys but some other days I'd love to just build my flying house/guild fortress or craft or something. Hell, if they can pull off the housing and guild forts the way they're saying they will, that might just make the game for me. I love the idea of two guild forts pummeling the poo poo out of each other hundreds of feet in the air.

tl;dr: please please please be good (but it probably won't maybe, thanks mmo-cynicism)

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

BadLlama posted:

So basically

The Dominion = 40k
The Exiles = Warmachine (Cygnar)

At least that is the vibe I am getting from all these videos and I am okay with that. This really does look like "WoW in Space" but intentionally done like that so who knows it may turn out okay.

It really looks like WoW picked up the Torchlight IP and decided it needed lasers and poo poo. I'm kinda interested.

E: WoW doing Phantasy Star Online. That's what this reminds me of.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

pertinent posted:

My beta signup confirmation mail was from August 2011, and I've yet to receive such an invitation. Hm..

Same. This game is taking it's sweet time to get here.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Carecat posted:

Same. This game is taking it's sweet time to get here.

Yeah, but the most recent email said 2013 - it might mean december 2013, but that means it'll either be out in a reasonable time or it means the dev team is already lying about things and it's not worth playing anyways.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Interestingly, Massively has done a few articles expanding on the lore of the game after having talked with the lead creative designer.

If you can stomach going to joystiq, here they all are:

http://massively.joystiq.com/tag/wildstar/

Some interesting stuff, such as the fact that the Dominion effectively rules in absentia, Dominion worlds have a existing framework and are very free, but if you draw the Dominion's attention (such as harboring the Exiles), then they come down on you like a ton of bricks.

Its nice to see the factions aren't one dimensional.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

I really want to like this game. It looks really cool, and I like a lot of what they're doing like the different ways of levelling. But NCSOFT's past looms over this and I really can't see them letting it last very long and I'm afraid it'll just get replaced by their next generic creep oriented anime mmo.

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.

AlmightyBob posted:

I really want to like this game. It looks really cool, and I like a lot of what they're doing like the different ways of levelling. But NCSOFT's past looms over this and I really can't see them letting it last very long and I'm afraid it'll just get replaced by their next generic creep oriented anime mmo.

I've heard (internet rumors) that Arenanet has a buyout clause for GW2 that would prevent NCsoft from doing this. I'm hoping Carbine has a similar deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Here's a post about PvP. Most of it is pretty standard stuff but this sounds like it could be really fun.

quote:

“WildStar Flavor” also means giving you choices. This is where Warplot PvP shines. In Warplot PvP, Warparties (formal guild-like structures – you can be in a Warparty and you can be in a guild!) will be able to own large plots of land in which they can add modifications to build up their base. The Warparty can then queue up for Warplot PvP and be matched against similarly skilled/built-out opponents. Warparty players will be able to damage and destroy modifications, repair their own modifications, and lay down mines, traps, and much more. There’s nothing static about that!”

Phoix fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 10, 2013

• Locked thread