Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Mr. Jive posted:

Can someone fill me in on NCsoft's sins? I'm also digging the art style. It's got a self-aware humor going for it too.

Auto Assault, Exteel, City of Heroes, Tabula Rasa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

It's NCSoft. You really think a subscription would stop them from having a cash shop too?

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

Here's my arbitrary price limits: I will buy a game or I will pay monthly for as long as it entertains me. I can't justify to myself buying a game AND paying monthly for it anymore. Something about paying for the privilege of paying monthly just rubs me wrong these days.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

Mind over Matter posted:

Bleah. Enforcing scarcity just makes the AH barons and the early grinders richer while anyone who got there late or who can't stare at an auction mod 12 hours a day scrapes to get by. (This is my experience as an auction player in multiple MMOs.) There are ways to make crafting relevant and I'm all for them, but scarcity is a pretty lovely way to do it.

I'm hoping there's a balance between this and what guild wars 2 does, where there's no reason to craft anything beyond getting levels out of it.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

For some reason I never linked crafting and housing in my head until now. If the housing doesn't suck and get ignored after release that could work out really well.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

Flumbooze posted:

I'm talking release here, which was full of poor dungeon balancing. I have to admit, I was in a pretty sucky guild.

I won't say you couldn't do the dungeons if you had random classes, because you definitely could. But if you wanted to make some progress and farm those loving tokens, you better had certain classes with you. Again, this was due to balancing, I don't know how it is now.

I have some pretty big issues with gw2 right now and have found it less and less fun every time I've taken a break and tried to return. That said: what biazarro game have you been playing? Everything you've said is the opposite of how the game was, it's baffling.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

In Guild Wars 2 if I spotted someone downed nearby I would zoom over there and murder that monster all kinds of quick and help the person up. In most other games I let them die because they keep stealing the monsters I need for whatever quest I'm doing and I hate them.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

Bumbler posted:

I don't have a link, but they said awhile ago that only cash shop item at release will be the CREDD. However they're not ruling out the possibility of a cash shop down the road.

Is there an NCSoft game that doesn't have a cash shop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

If anything I think Guild Wars 2 had a problem with the gem store at launch by having nothing worth buying. It took them a while to add certain common sense things, like name changes and cosmetic armor.

• Locked thread