Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011

Pesterchum posted:

Auto Assault, Exteel, City of Heroes, Tabula Rasa.

Hey, guess how many of those were kind of bad games. It rhymes with free.

Inflammatory nonsense aside, I'm really interested in Wildstar, because this trend of action combat MMOs feels like it needs to hit the sweet spot soon or it's going to stop happening. That said, there isn't a whole lot of info about the game yet and that worries me, but the previews sound promising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Hello Sailor posted:

Counterpoint: they've included furries.

http://imgur.com/36Rxalw

Eh, rabbit ears are probably on the low end of offensive stuff like that. Besides, I'll be playing the other side, so I get to kill 'em. :v:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Archonex posted:

There's at least one video that was missed. Might want to add this one. It shows the Dominion faction's early gameplay. Which until I watched that I didn't even know you could play as.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4GES7-v-cs

Man, Space Barrens ahoy.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Archonex posted:

Edit: I just realized that that means that things have come full circle, and now the parody is being parodied. :psyduck:

Which makes it a literal crime that the 40K MMO will never come to pass.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Yaos posted:

I think paths are something all characters can do. They will have a path just for the player housing, so it makes sense if you can do all of them. They are calling them paths because they'll help direct the player.

Here's a newer video from PAX 2012.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtK-8sUazUs

People are still going to stand in the loving acid. :negative:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Valatar posted:

Everyone who's nerdgasming over the game's character is going to be sorely disappointed if the game doesn't have a super voiceacting cast who have been hidden up until this moment. You can't have a zany Ratchet & Clank MMORPG with zero dialogue and just text and emotes; all of the great attitude in the trailers is going to be nonexistent in the game itself.

You're one of those weirdos who reads quest text aren't you? :colbert:

Orv
May 4, 2011

miscellaneous14 posted:

I'm guessing some environments just show a bunch of generic house-islands floating above, and your actual house is an entirely separate instance. They're not actually the player houses up there.

This is correct, housing is just an instance, not in-world at all behind the occasional sky box graphics.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm mildly hopeful because between PAX, I want to say '11 and '12, they went from static WoW combat to functional if not incredible telegraph action combat. As mentioned, newbie zone combat is boring as hell, so I'm hoping that something like high-end PvP or raids will be ALL THE poo poo DODGE YOU FOOL OH GOD NO every couple of cycles. I think they'd be crazy not to, well, make it crazy in raids at least. Might even get me raiding again.

(No it won't.)

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'd honestly say that TSW did the whole narrated quest thing better than TOR did, but everyone else has already pointed out its major flaws.

Orv
May 4, 2011
After all my time in WoW, even I will probably call you something derogatory, even if just in jest, if you tell me you're an Alliance player. If Wildstar is successful and lives a long time and fosters the same kind of mentality that the sides did in WoW, I could see it working. Of course if the playerbase is too small to support both sides raiding at high levels then you'll run into the weird problem where all the serious raiding guilds on a server are on one side and if you don't faction swap you're hosed. And god help you if that was the case on your server pre... when did they add faction changing to WoW, 2011? '10? It sucked before whenever it was.

Orv
May 4, 2011

grrarg posted:

That item system sounds neat, and I liked the reference to EJ theorycrafting.

A dev also posted about Wildstar's open world PvP, something I for one was confused about after that one PAX video. TL;DR is that it is pretty much the same as WoW.

Fantastic. The only reason I stayed with WoW as long as I did was the open PvP possibilities.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yet I lack one. Woe is me. :smith:

Orv
May 4, 2011

:smith::respek::smith:

Not-havers solidarity.

Orv
May 4, 2011
People are stupid about design decisions, perceived nostalgia/better experiences doesn't help.

Orv
May 4, 2011

i am tim! posted:

It's true. I wish I could link people to Final Fantasy XIV's beta forums for all the rear end-backwards crap people are demanding on there, most of which can be summed up as "I want Final Fantasy XI-2".

It's astonishing what people think will make a game good/better. I'd like to think I'm at least smart enough to not have stupid design ideas, but that's probably a lie.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Macaluso posted:

Oh loving hell I love the Chau

Were Chau the ones with the concept art a bit back of that gruff looking old hamster thing? I was all about that, not so into these.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Pfft, facts.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I have some kind of horrible mental issue where if an MMO offers a dumb midget race I will play it, and they can be rogues here, so I'm all set.

Orv
May 4, 2011

jaegerx posted:

I miss flumboozle

Don't say poo poo like that.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Naeus posted:

Maybe that was just due to BioWare's execution...

Maybe nuthin', BioWare has been hamfisted for a decade now (jesus christ KOTOR is a decade old) when it comes to black and white villainy/good.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Zhulik posted:

p.s: can we all agree that the Chua in that picture looks totally metal and awesome?

That is 100% the look I will be going for with mine.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Naeus posted:

I was about to reply with a really dumb post when I realized that Obsidian made the brilliantly nuanced KOTOR 2 making you completely right. Still, I can't think of a game with 2 playable factions that are black and white villany/good and also fun and interesting.

The cop out answer is DCUO, but I don't think it really counts because it's running off decades and decades of characters being established dicks and good guys.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Death Himself posted:

Something about the art style of this game is really bothering me.

Maybe it's the cartoonishness reminding me of WoW? I can't quite figure out my problem with it. I have a friend who is real hyped up for it and they send me links to videos and screenshots a lot because I'm usually into Sci-Fi stuff but nothing about it is really giving me the usual Sci-Fi vibes.

It's WoW In Space 100% of the way, but most of the released stuff doesn't have much sci-fi to it. There's the giant robot in one of the starter zones, and there's a quest hub where gunships are duking it out and strafing stuff. Other than that stuff and stuff like say, holo-blades, there isn't a lot of sci-fi on display so far.

Orv
May 4, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

God why can't we have squidmen for a race.

Would go Exiles in a hot second.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I had forgotten we actually knew about the 4th Exile race, I thought that slot was still TBA. They could be neutral a la pandaren, everyone could be squiddudes. :magical:

Orv
May 4, 2011
"If it can be built and it needs to hurt people..."

Welp, playing an evil psycho space hamster.

Orv
May 4, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

You might be onto something here.

A war crime.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Carbon Deity posted:

hey guys i've been on vacation what did i mi :stare:

Justice.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Peechka posted:

Wow, what a blatant wow ripoff is my first impression looking at those screens.

I had some crazy horror movie flashbacks to Un'goro and pre-Cata Barrens when I looked at them.

Orv
May 4, 2011

KirbyKhan posted:

Real talk, launch window is server triage at it's messiest. I for one can't wait to enjoy the janky first weekend. But, let's not kid ourselves. It'll end up as smooth as sandpaper like all other MMOs.

For all the problems it ended up having in the end, Warhammer Online had the smoothest MMO launch in recent history by a large margin.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Welp! :smith:

I guess it all depends on how much work you have to put in for the PLEX model.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Another beta, another no invite. I figure the beta I do get an invite for will create Skynet or something.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Robzilla posted:

It'd be the best loving beta ever though.

Peoples houses would be tactical nuked for not reporting bugs.

Orv
May 4, 2011

VogeGandire posted:

Never don't Chua spellslinger.

I get to be a furby...with guns...and a sweet hat.

This guy gets it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Lemon King posted:

I don't see why people keep making creepy Aurin when you can make them a little more imposing.

Better question: Why are you playing Aurin in the first place? :colbert:

Mechanical question; Enemy nameplates in BGs, am I the idiot or are the designers the idiots?

Orv fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 20, 2014

• Locked thread