Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Beach Party posted:

The amount of information about this game seems to be same as when it was first introduced in 2011. The only new thing that i saw was the video about dropping colored shapes on the ground which you will either dodge or run into depending on the color of said shape.

The only thing I can really find that make the game interesting is the two Path videos on gametrailers.com:

Soliders Path
http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/4xfuip/wildstar-soldier-s-path-trailer
Explorer Path
http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/3kjm32/wildstar-the-explorer-path-trailer

Now I can't figure out if this is something ALL character can do (sort of like how Earth and Beyond had three different XP bars based on combat/exploring/trade) and a player can pick and choose which path to focus on or that a player is locked into one path per character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Ezenunim posted:

Curious to see what Wildstar will have to offer. NCSoft is in the process of taking down the old City of Heroes/Villains servers and converting them to Wildstar. Rumors of friends/family keys being released are floating around. All possible signs closed beta is near.

Most commentary I've heard revolves around Wildstar being a WoW clone and first impressions have been mostly indifferent. Not sure how much is NCSoft/GW2 based disappointment. A subscription model is not the best choice if it's being considered by NCSoft, but they probably think they can pull a TSW/SWTOR and pull the sub model if it's rejected by the player base.

I think we are starting to see a world where subscription based MMO's are going to be a thing of the past. At a certain point companies have to learn that the WoW model only really works for WoW. (Eve online kinda gets around this by allowing in-game currency to buy subscription cards). Besides WoW and Eve are there any big MMO's that still do subscriptions?

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

BadLlama posted:

Even though I know this game is still just like WoW 2.0 (But in a interesting sci-fi way) I keep getting more and more excited for it.

But that the best part of a new MMO: being full of dreams and hopes before you realize that its WoW 2.0. So who is the group leader for the beta signup?

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Carbon Deity posted:

I'd rather they spend time honing gameplay and polishing the UI than cramming weak, watered down content in for launch (looking at you FFXIV). There will plenty to keep people occupied while they level, and they have already stated that they are going to release content monthly. Even with a relatively small dungeon selection at launch, it seems like WSO has more to do than most MMOs hands down.

But isn't this this the same promise that is made before every MMO Launch?

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
That is true, but it took GW2 about a year to finally get the bi-monthly stuff out with fun and interesting content. And the first part of the Living Story was HORRIBLE.

I would not expect anything new really for the first month or so that is not already in the game at release. While the team might have some plans for the first months all the DEV resources are going to go to fixing bugs and server issues.

BexGu fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Sep 11, 2013

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Visidan posted:

EDIT: When I mention tutorials I mean like little movies made by devs on their website plus ingame npc teachers or something, not a mouse over tooltip that has information from hundreds of alpha versions ago like GW2.

There actually is a interactive tutorial of sorts in GW2...its just at a level 11ish Heart in the Human Starting Area. Anet really should have made it a separate area with achievements,more training, etc instead of being in one heart location people could easily miss.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Train_with_the_militia

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Jackard posted:

That was a pretty sweet little town. They should have moved the training segment into Shaemoor though.

The reason its located in Queensdale is, guess what everyone plays?

Nahhh, I think it just fit thematically with the humans areas. They are constantly under attack from centaurs along with trying to expand away from DR so it would make sense for a small town on the fringe to have a militia. A heart designer probably saw the town, know the area, and figured "Hey, lets make something different."

The sad part is a recent patch broke move of the events.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

BadLlama posted:

Well, considering the publisher for this one, I don't think we have to worry about that with this one.

Release it early and get all the subscription suckers for a couple of months while they fix the game and then switch it to Buy 2 Play in the summer of 2015 with expanded cash shop to really rake in the cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

bUm posted:

Reading this I could've sworn I was in the ESO thread. Have you played the beta to justify your "couple of months while they fix the game" or are you just talking out of your rear end?

Past history with all MMO launches. This one could easily be better but....yeah. That and I'm making a joke about the shittiest move NCSoft could pull!

Bauxite posted:

Yeah I'm dumb, I meant 2014. To be completely frank, the beta for wildstar is more polished than just about any other mmo at release I've played. I haven't seen higher level areas, but if they're anywhere near as done as the low level stuff, then the game is basically done.

Age of Conan also had amazing first 20 levels. After that it just kind of ran completely out of steam and content

Just...just every one keep there exceptions in check for a bit.

• Locked thread