Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ergonomix
Apr 14, 2009

pffffff

Tollymain posted:

Eli, how hungry does looking around the room at your classmates make you? How does that make you feel?

After it's been awhile... pretty fuckin' hungry. At least I've found that shoving food down my stomach eases it from a sharp sting to more of a dull ache. Everyone just thinks I have the munchies anyway.

How does it make me feel? gently caress, I dunno, weird? Because of course, if they knew, they'd be pretty freaked out. But at the same time, it makes me feel pretty powerful, because I know that I probably could feed on any of them, and they wouldn't be able to stop me. The problem is the fallout. Either they're gonna be pissed or infatuated with me, and either way now they know what I am. For now, keeping this secret limited to as few as possible is my priority.

But I do think, if I could find the right kind of people, I could maybe form myself a nice little cult. Maybe even turn some of them and have my little vampire minions to cover my rear end if or when things go south. But that sounds like a lot of work, and man, I got this history paper due tomorrow, and then I have to go to work, ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilootthecorpse
Oct 13, 2010
I'm a little late to the party too, but I have to throw my name in the hat. I've never seen this game before today but it looks great.

pre:
Christopher Locke, The Infernal

Vicious, piercing eyes
Chosen

Hot -1
Cold -1
Volatile 1
Dark 2

Darkest Self
You can’t get what you need, anymore. The world has left you cold and alone, shivering in the wake of your own
addictions. The dark power will make some open-ended demands of you, and it’ll promise you some lucrative
(and perhaps volatile) things in return. Every demand you fulfill brings you a little closer to feeling whole 
again, to rekindling the fire in your heart. Whenever you fulfill those demands, remove a String it holds on you. 
You escape your Darkest Self when the dark power has no more Strings on you, or when you agree to an even
worse bargain with an even more dangerous dark power.

Sex Move
When you have sex, the dark power loses a String on you and gains a String on whoever you had sex with.

Soul Debt
Name a dark power that you owe a debt to. Choose two Bargains that it has made with you. It can hold Strings 
against you. Whenever it collects 5 Strings against you, trigger your Darkest Self.

Dark Recruiter
When you bring an innocent soul to the dark power, mark experience.

Dark Power
The Connoisseur 

Bargains

The Power Flows Through You
You can give the dark power a String in order to add 2 to your next roll (choose before rolling).

Uncanny Voices
You can give the dark power a String in order to realize a secret about someone you’re talking to. The owner
of that character will reveal one of their secret fears, secret desires, or secret strengths (they choose.)

Your Backstory

You owe debts. Give away 3 Strings, divided any way you like between the dark power and the other characters.

Someone thinks they can save you. Gain a String on them.
Christopher Locke, or Christophe as he prefers to be called, didn't always used to be popular. He didn't always used to be dangerously handsome, physically gifted, or socially respected. Nobody here in Moreau knows that, or course. As far as they are concerned he is just one of the new faces who showed up a few years ago and started shaking things up in a big way. They can never know who he used to be.

Roll time back a few years to a little town called Ashwood in the pacific northwest and you will find a very different Christopher. He was that kid. Know the one. Always too skinny, always too smart, always the perfect kid to pick on when you were bored. Or feeling insecure. Or wanted to show off. Or just because you were a prick. Christopher was angry back then. Very angry. He didn't take being picked on well and would scream or cry at the slightest provocation. That's probably why the bullies just kept doing it. He was kid who always wore dark clothes that were full of holes and never fit right. He listened to loud, angry music. The kind about living on the outside of normal and not giving a gently caress. He also spent almost all of his time alone in his room. It worried his parents, but what could they do? He had no friends and refused to do anything extracurricular at school. He just sat up in his room with his music playing at three million decibels and doing God knows what.

What he was doing, exactly, was quite diabolical. You would be amazed what can come of an angry soul and an internet connection. Christopher spent hours every day looking up all manner of incantations and summoning spells to set devils and monsters on the kids that tormented him. They were almost all bullshit, of course. Almost. Much to his surprise, during one of his usual rituals, he got a reply. Something from Beyond made contact with the boy and answered all of his dark prayers. "Yes," it said. "Yes, of course I can make you handsome. Of course I can make you popular. Of course I can make the bullies scared to ever lift a finger to you. You just have to do a couple things for me in return." Christopher was hardly in a position to refuse.

Now, years later in Moreau, Christopher the outcast has become Christophe the tyrant. The user. The pervert. He knows things that he shouldn't know. He is good at everything he tries. He keeps everybody under his thumb. You either seek his favor and hope to come into his circle or stay the hell out of his way, because you certainly don't want to be on his bad side. Christophe always pays back a debt an eye for an eye and blood for blood. Of course there are reasons to want to be close to him other than fear. His friends, or so the sycophants that flock around him call themselves, seem to have their wildest dreams come true. Maybe they are just a lucky crowd, but it certainly isn't natural when a guy sells a brand new Camero to a high school punk for basically pocket change because Christophe said he should. It isn't normal when the hottest girl in school slums it to sleep with a crater-faced band nerd because Christophe had a little chat with her. Maybe it is blackmail. Maybe it is mind control. Maybe Christophe is just a really persuasive guy. Either way, the people around him seem to get what really want. The real question is, what is Christophe getting in return?

1) What is an important aspect of the town/city of Moreau to you?

In a word, it's eclectic. Moreau is a nice little slice of Americana that has just about everything anybody could want. It has all of the cheap thrills and expensive delicacies necessary to keep the population happy, which is just the kind of place The Connoisseur was looking for.

2) Who is one person in your life who's important?

Christophe has made a huge transformation from the lonely, sad child that he was into the confident, domineering teen that he is now. Along the way he seems to have lost touch with what being happy was truly about. He wants to feel respected and maybe even feared by his peers. That is what happiness is, right? That was what The Connoisseur told him anyway. That all seemed to be working out until some girl came along. Jenny Harper. She was just another nobody like he used to be, but she didn't look at him like everybody else did. She wasn't scared or mystified or held in thrall. She was just Jenny. They shared a class together, always sat in the back, always talked, and were just...friends. Christophe never had a friend before.

3) How do you feel about your supernatural nature?

There is no other choice. Either you take the bargain and reap the rewards or you go back to being who you used to be--a worthless, scared little poo poo. It's not a matter of whether Christophe feels that what he has gotten himself into is right or if he is comfortable doing what he does. He just can't go back to who he used to be. He'll do whatever it takes to be relevant in his new home. Even if that means letting in a demon once in a while.

4) Obviously Monster Teen Drama Bullshit is the only answer.

ilootthecorpse fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 19, 2013

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
ilootthecorpse, is that picture Sebastian from Black Butler?

Also, I think that's 16 submissions :toot:

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Edit: nvm

iceyman fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 20, 2013

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."
Angsty teenagers in every flavour of the rainbow! Even if I don't get to play, this should be a fun thread to follow judging by the overall quality of these entries. I had a good time just writing out that submission and the questions.

ilootthecorpse
Oct 13, 2010
That's an excellent question Davin. To answer you: I have no idea :D

It is just one of the many pictures tucked away in my character photo folder that I have never had the chance to use.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Tollymain posted:

Tucker, as unhappy as you are dealing with your clan and this town, have you ever considered just... leaving? Do you have an plan for leaving this town? If you do, what keeps you from taking the first train on out of here and never coming back? What ties you to Moreau?

(Switching to OOC for this answer, because I don't think Tucker has the self-reflection to answer it.

Honestly, the thought of leaving has never really crossed Tucker's mind--well, beyond the vague "one day I'll get out of this lovely town" feeling common to pretty much every teenager everywhere.

Truth, though? Moreau's all Tuck knows. Part of that's the wolf and its territorial instincts, part of it's the isolated upbringing, but deep down Tucker doesn't relieve get that there's other places he could go and that he could just cut his family out of his life for good. It's just not how he thinks, and if someone actively sat him down and said "you can do this," he'd still probably come up with a dozen excuses not to, starting with Adair and Marigold and going on from there.

Basically Tucker is an E/N thread waiting to happen, is what I'm saying.

EDIT: Hey Tollymain, I just found out that my impending move from Seattle to Montreal, which I thought was going to happen in about another month or so, is now on for a week from Saturday. We're going to be driving, and between the road trip and the chaos of getting settled in the new city, starting the new job, etc. etc., I'm anticipating about a week of not being able to post much, if at all, starting March 2nd. If that's going to impact the timetable for starting the game, let me know and I'll withdraw Tuck from consideration.

GimpInBlack fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 19, 2013

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Emmet, you made an accidental enemy early on. You're not sure why they're made at you (you can elaborate on that ooc if you like), but they've tried to mess with you ever since. Tell me about the most notable of these incidents, and how you feel about the whole thing.

Daniel, why do you think this happened to you? How does that make you feel?

Remiel, or do you prefer Hope? Anyway, you seem pretty irreverent. Not blasphemous or rebellious, mind you, just pretty irreverent. How do you feel about the Big Man himself? It seems like most of your frustration or anger is with the Archs, as you call them. Is that the case?

Do you have any contacts back home still? Something like an angelic parole officer, or a friend who comes around every once in a while?

What's the last good deed you did? How about the last not-so-good deed?

Christophe, what's the last demand the Connoisseur's made of you? How do you feel about the price of its help? Has its price ever cost you something personally yet?

What's the last selfless act you performed?

What's your currently most prized possession?

Patrick, tell me about the time you felt helpless and powerless. What happened? How did you get out?

Aaron, you had a pet, once, when you were young. Not anymore. You can thank family for that. How did you feel?
Do you feel similarly about Erika? What would you do if a family-member took her away, too?

I feel like a psychologist. "And how does that make you feel?" *repeats a hundred times*

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Tollymain posted:

Patrick, tell me about the time you felt helpless and powerless. What happened? How did you get out?

I don't like to think about that.

That was when I was in middle school. I wasn't so big then. I was trying to follow someone. I don't remember who, really.

Okay, I do, but...he was a classmate, you know? Joe. I don't think about him any more. But yeah, I was following him, because he had this cool sister and he was a jerk to her and I wanted to see what was going down. See if I had to scare him straight. She's still cool.

What, no, not like that. I mean, back as a freshman, once, but that's it. She's just a fiend now.

Anyway, I was a wolf then. Small, so it was easy to pass as a dog, like a huskie or whatever. Anyway, it turns out it wasn't really anything big, in retrospect...

Except we went through the woods and I got caught in a snare. Some hunting thing. gently caress snares, by the way. I was hanging there until sunset. Couldn't call anyone, because I couldn't turn back easy...I mean, it is really hard when you're hanging upside down and can't focus or anything. Plus it was a wire, I might have trn my leg open. So I'm hanging there, and it takes until night before anyone finds me.

Who? Sme old guy. Homeless or something. He was, I mean. I got Dad to take care of that. Cleaned the guy up, philanthropic...thing. PR bullshit or money laundering or whatever, I don't know. His name is Lou. Lou's good people. I make sure he gets his rent paid when I can, I owe him. But the point here is that I was terrified. It might have just been a few hours, but it felt like days. Just...hanging. I thought I would die, like, starve. Or chew my leg off.

I would have chewed my leg off if it had been to sunrise.

Anyway, I won't let that happen again. And if I find who set that snare...I never will, really, I know that.

But if I did, I would beat him down. No one makes me feel that way. Never again.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

quote:

Uaica, there's one guy who gives you a lot of poo poo, and he just won't let up. Why haven't you done anything about it? What do you want to do about it?

Ugh, Dave is such a poo poo. He's bigger than me, thinks he's stronger than me, and is just another one of the shitheads who loves to call me 'an illegal' when he thinks it will get a laugh. I'd shut him up, but his younger brother is actually alright. He reads, and it seems like he actually cares, and doesn't treat me like a toy. Garrett is a good guy, I guess that skips siblings.

If it wasn't for Garret, though, I'd steal Dave's skin, leave him in a ditch, and let myself get caught doing the kind of poo poo Dave dreams of doing. He'll wake up scared, cold, and alone, and then the cops will want him and he'll feel like nothing is safe. I'd like that.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD

Tollymain posted:

Emmet, you seem pretty composed, talking about these situations now. Where you as unflappable then, or did you find yourself discovering the human emotion of embarrassment? If the latter, how do you feel about discovering the less comfortable aspects of human emotion? If the former, have you overheard any crazy rumors about you and your impossible poise?

Actually, that was one of the first things I learned about! When my Master gave me my mind, he did so by placing a capsule in my mouth and beckoning me back into the kiln where he fired my body. Of course, he had no wish to incinerate my valet's uniform during the procedure, so...well, you can imagine the particular state I was in afterwards. I still remember my first words, actually: "Good morning, Master! Erm, why are you covering your eyes, Master?" He hugged me, carried me out of the kiln, said how happy he was to see me speak...and also took the time to explain why he had covered his eyes.

Is that too creepy? I can change it if it makes Emmet's master come off as a creep or something.

That was only the first of what you refer to as "less comfortable aspects" of emotional completeness, and while I have heard some rather distressing rumors about me--not about "impossible poise", sadly, but about "delayed emotional reactions," only much less polite (think "What the **** is wrong with that guy? He acts like a ******* robot, like he's going 'oh wait I'm supposed to be X now'")--I have to say that I find human emotion genuinely interesting, even the less comfortable ones! I want to learn about everything novel and new with my new mind, and...well, to me, EVERYTHING is novel and new. I certainly would never have experienced anything like "sexuality" as an automaton.

I'll answer the next question later. Again, tell me if I'm going too creepy.

ilootthecorpse
Oct 13, 2010

Tollymain posted:

Christophe, what's the last demand the Connoisseur's made of you? How do you feel about the price of its help? Has its price ever cost you something personally yet?

What's the last selfless act you performed?

What's your currently most prized possession?

My patron has helped me in a way that I could never have helped myself. I tried everything back in Ashwood. I tried to kill my troubles with kindness, but had it thrown back in my face and then my face thrown into a urinal. I tried to ignore the taunting, but the less I reacted the harder they tried until they finally stole my book bag and threw it in the creek. I tried to fight fire with fire and stand up for myself, but it is hard to stand up to anything when three jocks are kicking you in the ribs. My life was awful. No price is too much to escape from that. I had nothing back then and I have so much more now. If It wants something of me, who am I to deny It? After all, It gave me everything I have. No matter what I have to give in return I am better off than I was.

Sure, sometimes the price is unpleasant. The Connoisseur demands that people step outside of their comforts and feel something new. New isn't always good though. The last time I was called on it cost me the respect of my parents. I know, it's stupid. Why should I care what they think? When times were bad though, they always tried to be there for me. I didn't give them the time of day, but they still tried. Anyway, so this girl Marcella. Her dad got some big bonus at work and instead of spreading the wealth with Marcy and her sisters he buys himself a sports car. Not usually the kind of thing I worry about, but my patron had an eye on Marcy. She was a real good girl. She always did the right thing. Good grades, good friends, good family life. So loving boring. The Connoisseur wanted her to feel a thrill for once, so I put the bug in her ear and convince her to take her dad's car out for a little joy ride while he was out of town. I ride along, of course. The Connoisseur needs me to be around so he can feed off of the feelings, and there was no way I was going to skip out on breaking in a new CTS-V. Well, turns out Marcy is a pretty lovely driver and took out about a half dozen mailboxes. The car was messed up. Not totaled, but still pretty bad. The Connoisseur gets what he wants though. She gets a nice thrill followed by abject terror and crushing guilt. Pretty new stuff for a girl who usually does everything right. She won't go down on her own though and throws me under the bus with her. Of course it gets back to my parents. I wish I didn't care, but the look in mom's eyes and the things that dad said--disappointment, rotten, bad influence--hit me hard. I felt ashamed for the first time in a long time. Let's face it though: If my patron never came along I probably would have been stealing cars or doing drugs or worse by now anyway. My parents were always going to be disappointed at some point.

I'm not a slave to It though. I'm not. I do poo poo because I want to. Sometimes I even do something nice. Altruism feels kind of good, in moderation. You start trying to be the saint and help everybody all the time and people are just going to walk all over you. You can have that little gem of knowledge for free. So there is this kid Collin. He reminds me a lot of how I used to be. Gets picked on a lot. Cries a lot. Just can't seem to do it for himself. It hit a cord in me I guess and I decided to help him out. This rear end in a top hat Russell was always getting onto Collin during gym and humiliating him ever chance he could get. Russell was a captain on the basketball team. I say was because he can't play sports anymore this semester. He is in Mr. Everhart's math class and Mr. E doesn't cut anybody any slack about academics. His mid-term is worth a quarter of the points for the whole year and if you drop below a C in a required class then you can't play on any of the athletic teams and have to take tutoring for your last period of the day. That just happened to be the period that Russell was tormenting Collin during. Russ was pretty much a C student anyway, so if he bombed his mid-term there was no way he could recover. It was pretty easy really. I just convinced Mr. E's senior TA to switch Russell's test with a fake one I made, and poof. Problem solved. Russell drops to a D and gets moved from gym to tutoring. Collin gets to go to class without being scared for his life and only the TA knows I was even involved.

The Connoisseur talks to me through a notebook. It's not a special notebook or anything. Just a normal comp book, like with the black and white covers. I just have to write down what I want and the next time I open the book his answer is in there. I use the notebook for normal stuff too though. Notes, stories, journal entries, contracts. I just like to write, really. I keeps my head clear, and who knows. Maybe one day I'll try to write something and get it published. I loving hate cheap pens though. It is so frustrating having to scribble in the corner to get the ink to work and it makes the pages look ugly. I guess Jenny noticed how much I hated that though and she bought me a really nice fountain pen. Just out of nowhere. Said she did it just to be nice. It's the first gift anybody besides me family has ever gotten me. I know it is just a pen, but I really like it. I carry it everywhere. I've forgotten my car keys, my watch, and even my wallet from time to time. I never forget to bring my pen though.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Tollymain posted:

Remiel, or do you prefer Hope? Anyway, you seem pretty irreverent. Not blasphemous or rebellious, mind you, just pretty irreverent. How do you feel about the Big Man himself? It seems like most of your frustration or anger is with the Archs, as you call them. Is that the case?

Remy's fine. The 'el is kind of... formal, and Hope is just the packaging. She's dead, Jim, if you were wondering. I can still read the memories in her head (so it isn't too hard to pass for her,) but they don't feel like my memories any more than watching your friend's video vacation. It's only a recording, the soul's moved on to wherever it went. I think it was up, she was a good kid, but I haven't been back to check.

As for my attitude, people need to get over their preconceptions. Heaven isn't clouds and fat cherubs and harps. It's an eternal party filled with happiness where no one ever gets tired or feels any pain. It's a reward! The heaven you guys believe in looks more like a punishment, to me. But I'm a field angel, and that sets me a bit apart. There's all kinds of divisions and choirs, but the field angels are the ones who are actually expected to head down and get some borrowed hands bloody. Rank wise I only answer to the Archs themselves, which means I don't have to bow and scrape much. I'm not considered higher ranked than a choir-general, but they can't give me Orders so I can be as irreverant as I like.

As far as He, Himself, the big I AM goes, well... he does talk to us, all of us. It's terrifying and wonderful and something you spend a while recovering from. But those moments are rare, as in, every thousand years or so. Just often enough to keep him at the front of our minds. See, we don't get to enjoy the eternal party that much because we're always a little shorthanded. It didn't used to be that way, but when a big chunk of the Host ended up downstairs well, He never replaced them. I think being shortstaffed keeps us too busy to plan rebellions like that ever again, but that's just a guess. He works in mysterious ways sometimes, even to us. We're as far below Him as you are, even if most of us would never admit it. We're just closer in proximity.

The Archs talk to him a lot more often, kinda like middle managers reporting to one unknowable CEO of everything. Which is fine with me, I don't think I'd survive talking to Him more often than once an eon. They pass on Orders, as well as orders, which is whatever pet projects they have running at the time. Those aren't quite as important, but not following orders makes you the prime suggestion for whenever unpleasant Orders come down the pipe. Angels have been sucking up to the manager while calling him a dick behind his back since before fish swam in the sea. They know, but it's something that has always been and always will be now unto forever and ever, and as long as we stay in line to their faces and do what they tell us, I doubt they really care.

quote:

Do you have any contacts back home still? Something like an angelic parole officer, or a friend who comes around every once in a while?

Oh jeez, thanks for reminding me. So like I was saying earlier Moreau is currently off-limits from smiting thanks to Orders direct from the top, and given that there is a really high glitch population here even the Archs don't know why that is. Some kind of petri dish? Maybe a test run for integration instead of extermination? I'd be for that. But the whole point is my kind isn't allowed to interfere. They're using a loophole to put me on the ground in this girl by citing my well-earned penance. Then to add a layer of frosting to the sneaky cake, they put Puriel in charge of me. Puriel is probably a lot more like you'd expect an angel to be. Does a lot of posing in beams of light, golden armor gleaming. Super serious too, I don't think I've ever seen that one laugh. The only thing he needs to do is check in on me every night and make sure I've been a good little penitent but of course that just gets them one more agent in town. I don't like Puriel much, but enforcers don't usually get along well with field ops. And technically if I get into trouble he is supposed to save my bacon, even if I don't think he'd go too far out of his way to do it.

quote:

What's the last good deed you did? How about the last not-so-good deed?

The last good deed as Hope is probably Sunday night at the soup kitchen. I'm a fan of charity and helping out the needy. Plus they let me take leftovers home to Randall. It's not really a job, but that food is still better for him than a burger and a beer which is what he'd have for dinner without me. I'm trying to build connections within the local churches and non-profits because if I'm in this for the long haul I might as well help as many people as I can. Time is just as valuable as money, and it's always good to spend it wisely.

The last not so good deed? Oh... there was... look it was the last twinkie, maybe the last twinkie ever since the company that made them went under and if you can't take some advantage of having to eat and sleep and breathe by getting that little bit of enjoyment out of life then what good is living?! So yes, I stole a twinkie from the fattest kid in school and I feel pretty wretched about it but really he didn't need it anyway and now I'm just making excuses, but it was so good...

Okay, okay, while that did happen I guess you want something a little more serious than a snack cake theft. Fine. Hope's memories about a certain girl at school are unbelievably negative. This girl was more than a bully, she was abusive. Hope's arms carry scars where she cut into her own skin with a knife as a coping mechanism. I have been cruel to this person, since taking Hope back to school. At first it was just letting her know that I would never take her crap again, but now it's progressed past that. I caught her trying to control another girl in the locker rooms, a new victim since the old one was no longer available. I... Hope...? We put a stop to it, violently. I've fought many monsters, but I've never enjoyed hurting someone before.

It worries me.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 20, 2013

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
A couple thoughts hit me over the course of the day.
  • How does sex heal all wounds, up to and including "need to go to the hospital" wounds? And what the hell does this even look like?
    • It sounds like something that requires a Fallout-perk illustration.
  • What exactly is the purpose of the Chosen one? Are they something that used to have a definite purpose, but are now obsolete? That's something that's really starting to bug me now, along with the purpose of the Masquerade? It definitely benefits the Supernatural side of things, but there's not much of a benefit to the mundane side.
    • I've been thinking about it, and the only thing I can really think of is that if there were no Masquerade, it's expected that there will be a genocidal war or something similarly terrible, and the Chosen one is kinda supposed to protect the Supernatural from extinction, and/or put down any that get too out of hand.
      • So, that'd make Chosen ones like...drone strikes and covert ops as opposed to strategic bombing and occupation; surgical, but still of questionable ethics?
      • Or more like...as insulting as it sounds, rangers? Protecting the public from monsters and monsters from the public?
    • Speaking of the Masquerade, how strong is it supposed to be in this game?

Tollymain posted:

Susie, who calls you by your nickname? Who calls you by your given name? How do you feel about both?
You've been sucked into a world where you might not belong, a world where monsters exist and humans aren't the top of the food chain. Where did this all start?

Everyone calls me by my given name. It's a perfectly good name.
I don't actually get called 'Savage Susie' all that much, really; you know, just a "Hey, it's Savage Susie" once in a while, or "Oh crap, it's Savage Susie!" when they've done something bad. There's definitely worse nicknames out there, and at least this one is...kinda respectful, in a terrified kind way. I'm kinda neutral on it.
I'd guess the announcer would call me that, if I ever got to be anything but the base in cheerleading.

As for this whole supernatural world? They didn't give me the talk, heh, until I was a tween, and could understand that there's some things you gossip about, and some things you keep your mouth shut about. Or it was just getting to hard to cover up.
I think that's what bothers me most about it, really; that I'm living a double life and it never really makes sense why. That and the whole dog eat dog world thing.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Susie, so it's a family tradition, then?

Also, you've told me how you feel about your own vaguely inhuman capabilities, how do you feel about the things that monsters do? How do you feel about having to kill things that look like people, maybe are people?

Have you wondered where you're supposed to draw the line between person and monster?

Mechanically the sex move encourages you to get too involved personally with the other players to just kill them straight off. In the fiction? The first thing I think of is maybe some kind of tattoo that allows you to feed off of the energy of monsters you put down. Maybe it's got an unmentioned, much stronger effect if you get involved intimately with monsters?

As for purpose, it's left open-ended because that allows you to decide what that purpose is, I think. You already came up with one good reason on your own :v:

As for the Masquerade... I think it's supposed to be pretty tight, at least to begin with.

I'm done with asking questions, and am currently trying to sort things out now. I highly suggest that you come up with a picture if you haven't already, as it makes it more difficult for me to drop your submission. I also highly suggest you answer any remaining questions. Give me reasons to be interested in your character.

Dang this is gonna be hard...

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Tollymain posted:

Emmet, you made an accidental enemy early on. You're not sure why they're made at you (you can elaborate on that ooc if you like), but they've tried to mess with you ever since. Tell me about the most notable of these incidents, and how you feel about the whole thing.

Enemy, enemy...oh, are you referring to Mr. Wells? He used to be friends with my Master, but they had a falling out...and I believe it was over me.

Mr. Ingo Wells is something of a local cultural icon in Moreau. He's a toymaker; still sells handcrafted, handpainted wooden toys in his shop in the historic downtown. As you can guess from his being friends with Emmet's master, he has an interest in occultism and artificial life creation. His annoyance over Emmet is equal parts jealousy and anger--how DARE Emmet's master create a golem first, how DARE he find a way to make his artificial life fully sentient without telling him, and how DARE he waste all that knowledge making a goddamn HYPER POLITE VALET! Ingo would make a brutish powerful bodyguard, at the very least! And he may or may not be willing to destroy Emmet to recreate the secrets required.

Ever since my Master died, I think he was particularly annoyed that my Master gave me to Dr. Dabrowsky instead of him. Would you believe he actually tried to kidnap me? Walked into school with a concealed knife and tried to snatch me right out of the restroom when I was washing up after lunch. I am still not entirely certain why he broke off his attempt--he had me halfway to his own vehicle before something made him forget me, move off, and pretend nothing was wrong.

As for my opinion of him? Kidnappers are not supposed to be trusted, I know that much, and yet I still vaguely remember my Master talking to him like an old friend, while I was still an automaton. Certainly my Master did not misread him? My notion of Mr. Wells is...conflicted.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009

Tollymain posted:

Daniel, why do you think this happened to you? How does that make you feel?

It drives me crazy not knowing "why me?" It really does. So I did some research one night and came up with a couple of reasons.

One, there's something I need to do, some kind of job or purpose. What is it? I don't know. Big surprise. But finding that out, if it is the reason, gives me something to do. I was going to go to college, you know? Same one as my parents did. I was so focused on that, back before...yeah. Its why I'm so focused on graduating. Gives me something to do, fill the hours, stuff like that. I hope that's the one because otherwise-

Because the other one is this: I'm really a pile of bones somewhere out there and my spirit's...not happy about it? People messed up, big time and it killed me. I died cold and afraid and alone and...and I'm this, this...thing now. And nobody seems to have noticed. Nobody paid for it. Except me, and why? What did I do except...I don't know. Maybe I did do something to deserve this. I barely remember the trip, except how it ended. And I don't even know what to do or where to start with that.

I don't know who you are, but, um. Thanks for listening to all this stuff I'm saying.

ThreeStep fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 20, 2013

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Tollymain posted:

Aaron, you had a pet, once, when you were young. Not anymore. You can thank family for that. How did you feel?
Do you feel similarly about Erika? What would you do if a family-member took her away, too?

Oh god, I remember that. That was years ago, almost a decade ago. My father got me a baby hamster and told me to take good care of it. He had me feed it, water it, and clean out it's cage for about six months. Then he starved me, providing me with only water- no food. I lasted a week before I broke.

When the deed was done, my father unlocked the door to my room and told me, "Don't hold emotional connections when it's a choice between your life and theirs. Connections can be rebuilt." Then he gave me more money than some of my classmates will make in their life and told me, "Welcome to the family."

When I first revealed my true nature to Erika, my family was concerned. My older sister more so than others. So she tried to have Erika removed from the scene. It didn't work out for my sister.

Thanks for listening. Next week wednesday?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Okay, it was really fukken hard and I wish I could take all y'all but that would end in disaster.
So, here's the lucky fucks who got in, by order of their first posts:

Melanie the Mortal from TurninTrix
Iris the Fae from exuma
Chloe the Infernal from Gazetteer
Tucker the Werewolf from GimpInBlack
Patrick the Werewolf from MorsRattus
Emmet the Hollow from Davin_Valkri

Go ahead and start assigning strings and such.

Everybody else, you all had fairly good submissions except for the one person (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE :argh:). Sorry I don't have room for you; maybe somebody else will get browbeaten into running this crazy system v:v:v

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Awww cripes. Well good luck you crazy bastards.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
That bad, huh? :blush: I suppose it's just as well. And I had just finished writing my next post.

I was beginning to worry that I am too immature to play this game. For whatever reason, my Skin's Sex Move just makes me crack up every time I think about it.
"Why are you naked and OH MY GOD IS THAT A BONE?" "Yes, you're very observant. Now kiss me and make it better."
I suppose that might have been a different spin on her nickname, at any rate.

Have fun!

EDIT: And hey, on the bright side, I never really thought about the Masquerade much before. It really is kind of convoluted and slightly nonsensical. And I think I'm going to save that and the Authoritarian Vampire Slayer for NaNoWriMo or something. "I'm protecting your race from your own stupidity; I'll kill as many as it takes to get you to fall in line!"

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Feb 20, 2013

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Okay it probably went over everybody's head but the ONE BAD SUBMISSION :argh: thing was a joke. They were all pretty good. Which really sucked for me. Jerks.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
drat. And now I notice all the ways I should have answered the questions :v: Best of luck to the ones who got in, looking forward to see what madness unfolds.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I'm not subtle. Everyone gets a string on me.

I've also spent weeks watching Iris from a distance. I know her scent and mannerisms anywhere. She's weird, she's...she's not like everyone else. There's something about her. Something feral, otherworldly. She's not one of us. But she's...I can't get her out of my head. Did she notice? Does she care? (I get two strings on her.)

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 20, 2013

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Err, Gazetteer you need to drop one of your moves, you have too many.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

So I saw Beautiful Creatures yesterday and I'd like to think I'm now in the proper mindset for this. Also yeah, thanks Tolly for taking me in... I think? I mean, this really does look like a beautiful trainwreck of a cast..

IRC posted:

(12:38:22 PM) TurninTrix: .choose Iris, Chloe, Tucker, Patrick, Emmet
(12:38:23 PM) skybot: TurninTrix: Patrick
(12:38:26 PM) TurninTrix: Huh.

Ah. Hey, Patrick. I do not know if you remember me. Last week, uh, it was after class, I was in my locker. Maybelle from homeroom, she started making all those racist jokes at the other end of the hall with all her friends. Just loud enough for me and everyone else to hear. You were the one that helped me. Uh, do you recall what you did?

You get three Strings on me, and I take one on you. Have fun. :)

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Emmet's about to get put through a wringer, isn't he? :cheeky: Alright, here's the backstory. Feel free to answer the questions if you want; I just understand that they're supposed to be little vignettes/plot hook thingies.

Tucker, on the first day of the new school year, you came up to me and talked to me like we knew each other all our lives. We have talked much since then, and I believe I know you, at least somewhat. Emmet gains two strings on Tucker. I must inquire, though, what exactly motivated you to come up to me on that first bus ride? I do not believe we had met before then...

Iris...you know. And I know you know. Iris gains two strings on Emmet. So you will permit me to ask, then, how is it you came across knowledge of where...or rather, what...I am from? Because I am quite certain that neither I, nor my Master, nor my guardian told you the truth about me.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just so you know, you're all free to reconsider where you put your free stat point until I open the game thread.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

TurninTrix posted:

Ah. Hey, Patrick. I do not know if you remember me. Last week, uh, it was after class, I was in my locker. Maybelle from homeroom, she started making all those racist jokes at the other end of the hall with all her friends. Just loud enough for me and everyone else to hear. You were the one that helped me. Uh, do you recall what you did?

You get three Strings on me, and I take one on you. Have fun. :)

That was - ah, right. Yeah. Yeah, she was pissing me off. So I got up in her face. Reminded me too much of those punk-rear end motherfuckers from the trailers. She wants to talk like that, she can. But I don't have anything against hitting a girl, not if she gets me that mad. I just made it clear to her.

Also, I think I might have dented her locker. That happens.

You're that Asian girl, right? You seem okay. I mean, Maybelle's a bitch. Trust me, I know from bitches. So you can't be all bad, right?

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Feb 20, 2013

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Run two games, Run two games :v:

In all seriousness this game should be great to watch.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

GodFish posted:

Run two games, Run two games :v:

Not on my watch! :argh:

In all seriousness though, it looks like a great game that I would have applied for had I the time. Definitely going to read it and see how things unfold!

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Surely there is a rival high school over in Eagleton.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Don't know about Eagleton but there's one over in Griffin.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

I suppose I can answer this properly now. Gonna make it OOC like the rest of my initial responses.

Tollymain posted:

3) How do you feel about your (or if you're the Mortal, your True Love's) supernatural nature? (Note: If you're playing the mortal, don't choose a True Love until after players have been selected.)

Melanie is all about escapism. Her world completely sucks, while there's another one underneath that isn't for her kind. One that's dark, deadly, absolutely intriguing and powerful. She wants in.

Patrick is her way there. She knows that, even if it's just on a subconscious level. Patrick's hot, real strong, powerful family. He can protect her from those that try to hurt her. He can turn into a wolf and kill for her. That is amazing.

...That's assuming that she does find out about Patrick's uh, feral nature beforehand, but I'm okay with playing to find out.

Mitama fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Feb 20, 2013

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Tollymain posted:

Err, Gazetteer you need to drop one of your moves, you have too many.

So I do! Fixed, sorry. I'll get a post about strings up later today -- need to run out the door now.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Or maybe I'll get it up sooner than I thought; got to work early today, so I should have time to scrawl something out.

quote:

You owe debts. Give away 3 Strings, divided any way you like between the dark power and the other characters.

My Friend, The Poisoner:
Still figure I owe him one. For the car; dude's actually taking his sweet loving time collecting on that, which makes me a bit nervous, almost. I mean, poo poo, that was one hell of a favor there! Barely used Civic, last year's model, for the sort of price that makes you think there's something horribly wrong with the thing. Except there isn't. Maybe it's not the sexiest thing on the road, but it's a big step up from the loving beaters that the other losers my age drive. That's not just a reliable bit of Japanese engineering sitting in the parking lot over there. That's freedom. Well, freedom for a price.

Emmet:
I'm drat sure robot-boy saw me break into the pool building that time I had to steal all those chemicals. gently caress, that kid is creepy! I have no idea what his problem is. He hasn't ratted me out yet, though, so I guess I shouldn't be too hard on him.

Melanie:
gently caress, I hate Biology. I think I've been to that class twice all semester. Maybe I'm being a bit of a bitch to my lab partner, though -- that foreign chick. From Thailand or something? I don't know, I'm poo poo at geography too. She's been doing all the group work so far, though. Maybe it's an Asian thing. Guess I sort of owe her for it.

quote:

Someone thinks they can save you. Gain a String on them.

Iris
The Poisoner and your Fairy King go way back -- and not in a good way. You know that if you could manage to cheat the demon out of the soul he's invested so much time into, you could earn some major brownie points.

Not that I'm calling you a brownie! That might have been a bit racially insensitive, I guess. (Tell me if this isn't cool with you and I can change it)

Gazetteer fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Feb 20, 2013

exuma
Feb 8, 2013

So many potential conflicts already!

You wear your heart on your sleeve. Give everyone one String.

Gazetteer posted:

Iris
The Poisoner and your Fairy King go way back -- and not in a good way. You know that if you could manage to cheat the demon out of the soul he's invested so much time into, you could earn some major brownie points.

Not that I'm calling you a brownie! That might have been a bit racially insensitive, I guess. (Tell me if this isn't cool with you and I can change it)

AND (from me) You’ve captured someone’s fancy. Gain 2 Strings on them.

Chloe and I have known one another vaguely for years. We're not, like, friends, but back when I was angry our circles overlapped a bit. Now that I'm getting my head down we see each other even less, but last time I saw her I saw who had made a home in her head. An old enemy of the King, just walking round town like that! I saw something else too, the way she looked at me. Like she likes me. It's kinda weird 'cause she's into that Devon guy, and there's no way that The Poisoner is saying nice things about me. But it's kinda cool too, like it shows he hasn't got her locked down, which makes me want to save her more.

Gazetteer I had just written Chloe's head been turned and was going to ask if it was ok with you when I saw your post. The question stands but it looks like we're thinking on similar lines here. I'm totally happy with wanting to save you, obviously.

Mors Rattus posted:

I'm not subtle. Everyone gets a string on me.

I've also spent weeks watching Iris from a distance. I know her scent and mannerisms anywhere. She's weird, she's...she's not like everyone else. There's something about her. Something feral, otherworldly. She's not one of us. But she's...I can't get her out of my head. Did she notice? Does she care? (I get two strings on her.)

I've noticed him watching me. That's not as surprising as Chloe. A teenage boy making moon eyes at me? Really? I'm so shocked. Patrick seems decent though, and everyone knows how loyal he is. So, hopefully he won't be a loser who think I owe him something without even promises. Those guys are such a bore. If he's not like that we could be friends for sure.

Davin Valkri posted:

Iris...you know. And I know you know. Iris gains two strings on Emmet. So you will permit me to ask, then, how is it you came across knowledge of where...or rather, what...I am from? Because I am quite certain that neither I, nor my Master, nor my guardian told you the truth about me.

I spotted you right away. You were like me, when I first got here. Not a clue about how to behave. For me it's because I'm so far from home, but you, you're new aren't you? I didn't know that, or what you are, then, but I asked, well, someone. He said, "A golem. In this age? How unusual", and the library told me the rest, pretty much.

zachol posted:

Don't know about Eagleton but there's one over in Griffin.

So glad someone is doing this, there were so many awesome submissions.

exuma fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Feb 20, 2013

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Okay, whoever has the most strings on you highlights one of your skills.

Once you guys do that I'll highlight another and we can get this show on the road. I'm typing up the first realpost of the game now.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

We're still waiting on Tucker to tell us who he stalked, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dunno if I said this before and I'm too lazy to check :v:

I hang out on #badwrongfun and #redhandofdoom on SynIRC, come hang out there to chat about the game and/or nag me to post!

• Locked thread