Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Growing up is hard.

It's hard and nobody cares.

Even if you aren't a freak of nature. Sadly, you probably are.

Welcome to Moreau. I say that figuratively, of course. You know the place better than I do.

I'm going to make this brief. Monsterhearts is a game about teenage monsters, growing up, sex, violence, dysfunction, and drama. This game is probably going to touch into all of these themes. We're going to be following the "I will not abandon you" school of thought here. We'll probably hit some parts that may be uncomfortable for some players. Voice your problems in this thread, so that the other players can keep your concerns in mind but don't expect something to get shut down by me unless the behavior in and out of the game becomes completely unacceptable. If you don't want to deal with these things, please don't submit a character. This include queer themes. If you've got a problem with queer themes, this will definitely not be the game for you.

If you don't own Monsterhearts already, it's available at http://buriedwithoutceremony.com/monsterhearts/ for money or for good deeds. If you just want the playbooks and the reference sheets, they're available for free download further down the page.

The classes/playbooks in this game are called Skins. There can only be up to two players using the same Skin. I suggest you try to avoid sharing Skins, and if I get so many submissions that they're all taken (I highly doubt this) I suggest you try to keep your characters as different as possible. Submissions need the following questions answered:

1) What is an important aspect of the town/city of Moreau to you? This can be bad or good, subjectively or objectively.
2) Who is one person in your life who's important? This is an NPC. I don't need a life story, just a quick description. Friend, family, whatever.
3) How do you feel about your (or if you're the Mortal, your True Love's) supernatural nature? (Note: If you're playing the mortal, don't choose a True Love until after players have been selected.)
4) What is a good title for a Monsterhearts game? I literally can't think of anything. Oops.
5) Some art indicating what your character looks like is highly recommended.

Strings will be allocated after players have been selected, so hold off on that for now.

:siren:Submissions are closed:siren:

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Monster Teen Drama Bullshit is promising. Kevin, I'm curious to see which other move you take oops I'm dumb nevermind. Logan, I think you had a typo on your stats.

Kevin, who's one person who doesn't seem to respond to you the way others do? How does that make you feel?

Logan, when did Chatterbox first speak to you? How did you react that first time?

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 20, 2013

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
zachol I'm not sure where you're getting Logan's +2 volatile from. Can you explain?'

VVVV: Oh. Okay. I just checked that and you are totally, completely right. I blame my glitchy-rear end brain. Sorry, carry on. Dang, I am 0 for 2 right now :blush:

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 20, 2013

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lilly, so okay, you've got these hexes you can throw around. Who did you first hex? What finally drove you to hex them?

zachol, feel free to abandon your character and start a new one if you want, just be sure to scratch out your first post so people know the Infernal's no longer taken.

Cocks Cable, can you put the hard details of your character down in your post? zachol's got a pretty good template there.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Melanie, you've got a talent. No, not that kind of talent! A normal-people skill. Who taught you it? What about it appeals to you?

Karen, you've got a Hunger, I know, I know. What about normal hunger? Do you still eat muggle food? Also, did anybody recognize you after you came back?

Iris, you've got a contact besides the King back in Faerie. They're not very powerful, but that's good, because that's the only reason you're able to bully them into having anything to do with you while you're in meat-land. Who are they, and what kind of trouble did they cause for you the last time you saw them?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh poo poo another one.

Chloe, who gave you your first cigarette? Where are they now? Which mistake did they make that you've sworn not to copy?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Speaking of bed...

Mile'ionaha, two things:

1) I actually looked at that playbook before I started this and while I won't forbid using it, I will say that it doesn't have the feel of angst and sex and dysfunction for me that I'm looking for in MH. Maybe your submission will blow me away and change my mind, so if you really want to go ahead. Just giving you fair warning. Pretty much all third-party playbooks are free for submitting, guys. If I have a problem I'll voice it when I see it.

2) You've got a truly dickish username :argh: (mostly joking)

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Kevin, there's one person in your clique who's been some trouble. Who are they, and what did they do? What stopped you from cutting them loose?

Eli, you tried feeding on somebody other than Vera last week, but it all went horribly wrong. What happened? How do you feel about it, now that the catastrophe's blown over?

Tucker, so your uncle's a Neo-Nazi? Yikes. Does the rest of the town know about this? If so, does this affect the way the townspeople see you? Also why for you mug me man I done nothing to you leave me alone I won't tell nobody...

Daniel, you look a bit tired. Looks like being dead isn't anything like sleeping after all. What do you do in the night when everybody else is getting their eight hours of oblivion? How do you feel about no longer being able to sleep yourself?

Uaica, how do you pronounce that? How do you respond when people get it wrong? Rakshasa are Indian, checking my notes. Is that what you generally pass as?

Melanie, I notice you've got an english name. Well, technically originally french, but you know what I mean. What did they call you back in Taipei? Also, you've got a bit of a follower. Is there a word for a weaboo who's infatuated with Taiwan? How do you feel about them and their behavior? How do you behave towards them?

Iris, somebody currently owes you. They don't know just how binding their promise was, though. Do you think they're going to follow on their word or renege? What do you do to people who break their word to you?

Chloe, what does your um, friend, sound like? Is there anything distinctive about how they communicate with you?

Karen, how did you find out that you can't re-die? Was it an accident or did somebody try to kill you? Do you remember anything about the first time you died?

Lilly, tell me about the time Melina Dupont first introduced you to the fact that, hey, magic's out there in the world, it actually does exist; and that you have the hole in your soul that lets you do it too.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Emmet, you've been watching a few TV shows, trying to understand human nature. So far results have been inconsistent. Can you describe a couple that you've attempted to emulate and the resulting fallout?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gently caress it let's have a round 3 for questions why not :v:

You people are going to make it loving hard to pick :saddowns:

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Feb 19, 2013

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lilly, you've managed to shed a lot of the old Lisa. You've still got a bit of a guilty pleasure that you can't quite get away from, though. What is it? How important is it that your new circles don't find out about it?

Melanie, you suspect that Moreau isn't the first place you've encountered the supernatural. There was an incident, back in Taipei; you shrugged it off at the time, but after what you've seen here maybe that memory is niggling at you. Can you tell us the story?

Iris, has the Fairy King ever let slip anything about why he sent you among the humans? It wouldn't have hardly been anything; and chances are if he did hint at something he was doing it entirely on purpose. How do you feel about that?

Karen, terror is one thing, but have you been experimenting with other kinds of fear? There's all kinds, you know. Protracted gut-clenching suspenseful fear, hopeless/helpless fear, more adult fears like financial situations and the security of your children...
And frankly, people are starting to look at you really weird. The weird semi-malicious pranks are forming a pattern. It's not obviously you every time, but... You're getting a reputation. How do you feel about this?

Chloe, what did you do to the last guy who insinuated you and Devon had something romantic going on? What kind of price did the Poisoner demand for his favor?

Uaica, there's one guy who gives you a lot of poo poo, and he just won't let up. Why haven't you done anything about it? What do you want to do about it?

Daniel, something came back with you. No, no, not some sort of demon or dark voice or anything, thank God. If he exists. Whatever. Anyway, it was just a piece of clothing. Or jewelry? Whatever it is, you can take it off, but it always comes back if nobody's around and you're not paying attention. Is it obnoxious? Embarrassing? Or is it something cool? Funny thing is, you're not sure if you actually owned it before. Nobody else seems to notice anything different about the way you dress. How do you feel about that?

Tucker, what's the one thing in your life you're the most proud of? An achievement? Something you own? Something about who you are right now? Is it openly known or a secret?
GimpInBlack, I'm curious what your original two choices would have been. Feel free to not answer if you don't feel like it.

Patrick, can I call you Pat? What's your dad like? I heard he did something that the townsfolk still whisper about. They say something terrible happened; what was it, and how do you feel about what they're saying? If your dad did do it, would you say he was justified?

Eli, what do you plan on doing about Vera when it's time to cut her loose? I'm not sure she's going to let go quietly, and she knows an awful lot of compromising things about you...

Kevin, how do you add people to your clique? Do you just spend a certain amount of time around them and slip in through the cracks? Do you need to be alone with them? Also, like you said, you've started to discover there are other people in your class who you can't get to, no matter how you try. You suspect there's more to them than meets the eye, like you; but different. Do you feel threatened? Are you all the more determined to add them to your clique? Or do you just stay the hell away?

Emmett, You kissed a girl. Did you like it?
Also, how have you adapted to being a high-schooler? How have you decidedly not been able to adapt yet?

Susie, who calls you by your nickname? Who calls you by your given name? How do you feel about both?
You've been sucked into a world where you might not belong, a world where monsters exist and humans aren't the top of the food chain. Where did this all start?

Deadline is being moved forward to February 21 due to overwhelmingly high interest
It's not necessarily a bad thing, but if I end up with 2 of every skin out there I'm going to have a real bitch of a time deciding on who gets in.

VVVV: Male for male with ___? Sorry, I don't exactly run on all cylinders.

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Feb 19, 2013

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well, in Twilight some of them grew up faster when their wolf came through. That's all I can think of.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Patrick, your people know about some, if not all, of the supernaturals in town. Not in-depth or anything, just that they're there. And around. You know? How does your family feel about these others? How do you personally feel about these others?

Lilly, you seem like you've become a fairly purpose-driven young woman. Do you have career plans? Do they coincide with what your mother wants? I'd ask about your father, but I don't know if he has anything to do with you at all. How do you feel about him?

Daniel, let's follow up on that thought there. You said they forgot you. Something weird going on there, or are you just a forgettable person? Either way, how does that make you feel?

Karen, you seem to be pretty well-adjusted to being dead, or undead, or whatever it is you are. Are there any serious downsides you've found yet? Anything bothering you, problems that won't go away because they're baked into whatever you are now?

Emmet, you seem pretty composed, talking about these situations now. Where you as unflappable then, or did you find yourself discovering the human emotion of embarrassment? If the latter, how do you feel about discovering the less comfortable aspects of human emotion? If the former, have you overheard any crazy rumors about you and your impossible poise?

Eli, how hungry does looking around the room at your classmates make you? How does that make you feel?

Tucker, as unhappy as you are dealing with your clan and this town, have you ever considered just... leaving? Do you have an plan for leaving this town? If you do, what keeps you from taking the first train on out of here and never coming back? What ties you to Moreau?

Kevin, I'm just going to say this, you are a nasty piece of work. Do you ever feel bad for what you do? Honesty, please. What's the worst thing you've ever done to somebody?
Your clique is not just 3 people as far as I can tell, and it wouldn't make sense for it to be 3 in my opinion. I think the 3 you detail are supposed to be the (currently) most interesting members of your clique

Aaron, I've heard some stories about your family. They've got a long and notorious history of making ridiculous amounts of money off of very, very evil things; and more importantly, getting away with it. Does the current generation of adults ignore it or glorify it? How do you feel about it?

I'm curious who's noticed the slight literary allusion present in this thread yet. It's everywhere, I'll hint that much.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
drat, that was hilarious how fast that went ice-cold, berenzen.

Aaron, you're forgetting something. You say that the girls aren't into you, but that's not entirely true. There's a few who look at you hungrily in the classroom; the rebellious ones, the wannabe freaks, the ones who've already filled their faces with metal... Something in you calls to them. You look superficially clean, but they can tell there's a monster underneath. They just don't know how literal that statement is. What do you think of these girls? Have you considered dating of them?

Iris, you've got a token given to you by the Faerie King, long ago when you were seemingly exiled to the human world. Without it you cannot even so much as stand on the borders of Faerie. Why did he limit you in such a fashion? What does the token look like? You lost it once, the worst time in your life. It was only gone for a few days, but that was still devastating. Could you tell me that story?

Melanie, what about that time when you had to defend yourself against a mundane assault? How did you fare? How did you feel during, after?

I am seriously running out of questions now. If I counted right, there are 14 apps in this thread. I will close it at 16, no exceptions. It'll remain open long enough for me to ask a few more questions and then I will try and decide which minority of apps get to play. But for the next few hours, I'm going to pass out.

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Feb 19, 2013

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Emmet, you made an accidental enemy early on. You're not sure why they're made at you (you can elaborate on that ooc if you like), but they've tried to mess with you ever since. Tell me about the most notable of these incidents, and how you feel about the whole thing.

Daniel, why do you think this happened to you? How does that make you feel?

Remiel, or do you prefer Hope? Anyway, you seem pretty irreverent. Not blasphemous or rebellious, mind you, just pretty irreverent. How do you feel about the Big Man himself? It seems like most of your frustration or anger is with the Archs, as you call them. Is that the case?

Do you have any contacts back home still? Something like an angelic parole officer, or a friend who comes around every once in a while?

What's the last good deed you did? How about the last not-so-good deed?

Christophe, what's the last demand the Connoisseur's made of you? How do you feel about the price of its help? Has its price ever cost you something personally yet?

What's the last selfless act you performed?

What's your currently most prized possession?

Patrick, tell me about the time you felt helpless and powerless. What happened? How did you get out?

Aaron, you had a pet, once, when you were young. Not anymore. You can thank family for that. How did you feel?
Do you feel similarly about Erika? What would you do if a family-member took her away, too?

I feel like a psychologist. "And how does that make you feel?" *repeats a hundred times*

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Susie, so it's a family tradition, then?

Also, you've told me how you feel about your own vaguely inhuman capabilities, how do you feel about the things that monsters do? How do you feel about having to kill things that look like people, maybe are people?

Have you wondered where you're supposed to draw the line between person and monster?

Mechanically the sex move encourages you to get too involved personally with the other players to just kill them straight off. In the fiction? The first thing I think of is maybe some kind of tattoo that allows you to feed off of the energy of monsters you put down. Maybe it's got an unmentioned, much stronger effect if you get involved intimately with monsters?

As for purpose, it's left open-ended because that allows you to decide what that purpose is, I think. You already came up with one good reason on your own :v:

As for the Masquerade... I think it's supposed to be pretty tight, at least to begin with.

I'm done with asking questions, and am currently trying to sort things out now. I highly suggest that you come up with a picture if you haven't already, as it makes it more difficult for me to drop your submission. I also highly suggest you answer any remaining questions. Give me reasons to be interested in your character.

Dang this is gonna be hard...

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Okay, it was really fukken hard and I wish I could take all y'all but that would end in disaster.
So, here's the lucky fucks who got in, by order of their first posts:

Melanie the Mortal from TurninTrix
Iris the Fae from exuma
Chloe the Infernal from Gazetteer
Tucker the Werewolf from GimpInBlack
Patrick the Werewolf from MorsRattus
Emmet the Hollow from Davin_Valkri

Go ahead and start assigning strings and such.

Everybody else, you all had fairly good submissions except for the one person (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE :argh:). Sorry I don't have room for you; maybe somebody else will get browbeaten into running this crazy system v:v:v

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Okay it probably went over everybody's head but the ONE BAD SUBMISSION :argh: thing was a joke. They were all pretty good. Which really sucked for me. Jerks.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Err, Gazetteer you need to drop one of your moves, you have too many.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just so you know, you're all free to reconsider where you put your free stat point until I open the game thread.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Okay, whoever has the most strings on you highlights one of your skills.

Once you guys do that I'll highlight another and we can get this show on the road. I'm typing up the first realpost of the game now.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dunno if I said this before and I'm too lazy to check :v:

I hang out on #badwrongfun and #redhandofdoom on SynIRC, come hang out there to chat about the game and/or nag me to post!

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3534737

Hope you guys have finalized your choices for stats/moves, highlighting will be retroactive if moves are made before you all finish it up.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well gently caress her, she had her chance. (I'm just going to retcon her to a different year.)

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Okay, I'm going to be terse here.

Emmet, Hot

Melanie, Hot

Patrick, Volatile (changed my mind)

Tucker, Cold

Iris, Dark (changed my mind)

Still waiting on Gazetteer's player-highlighted stat... Stupid me.

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 20, 2013

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Okay, my final highlighting choices.

Emmet, Hot

Melanie, Hot

Patrick, Volatile (changed my mind)

Tucker, Cold

Iris, Dark (changed my mind)

Chloe, Volatile

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How do e-cigs work anyway? I've never used one. Do you just use them like normal cigarettes? Sorry, semi-ignorant on this kind of thing (I have no business running this system :v:)

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nice job! I'm just going to add this to the IC OP.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hmm... give me a few hours to think about it. We can come up with a reason why Tuck would be out of town for a while; PbPs move exceedingly slow so I doubt it needs to be for very long.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just make a post or tell me what kind of post you want me to make to get Tucker out of the picture for now by tomorrow night; otherwise I'll try to come up with something fairly in-character as far as I can tell on my own.

Actually screw it, I'm going to just pull a time-skip on the whole dealie. Hope things get less crazy soon man!

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 28, 2013

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Exuma, can you clarify what you're doing?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gaz, go ahead and make your last post for this session while I set up the next.

E: Hey exuma come hang out in IRC with us; everybody's on irc.synirc.net at #redhandofdoom. Is this how peer pressure works :v:

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Apr 13, 2013

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The only thing I'm angry about is that you think you need to apologize :argh:

Seriously though don't worry stuff comes up. Sometimes people need to take a break from posting, that's perfectly all right.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Patrick, highlight Cold.
Iris, highlight Cold.
Melanie, highlight Cold.
Emmet, highlight Hot.
Chloe, highlight Volatile.

Here we goooooooo

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
From now on I'm going to try to post once weekly on Wednesday at the very least. Hold me to this, those of you who hang out on IRC. Feel free to yell and scream at me via PMs if I miss.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've been procrastinating on this post for way too long now, so I'm just going to push it out while the pushing's good.

Obviously I'm not in a place where I can run this game or the others I'm running well and reliably. Leaving you guys hanging like this as long as I have is lovely, and I apologize for it.

I'm not ending this game. I like this game, I like where it's going, I just can't quite summon the energy to be a functional human being right now. So I'm putting it on indefinite hiatus. I didn't want to do this, but it's better than just letting this game peter out into nothing. I don't know when it's coming back. I hope that you're all still available to play when it does.

Again, I'm really sorry. The desire is there but the will is weak. Hope you all have a good day.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Who's still around and available to play? I'm going to start up one of my games again, most likely the one with the most of the original players available.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Okay, reboot time.

Survivors of the original group: It's been a couple weeks since you woke up not knowing what the hell happened in the previous year. Patrick and his family are gone. Left town. Nobody wants to talk about why.

Iris is gone too. I mean, her folks are around, but they don't remember her. Nobody does, except for you.

There are a couple new faces around the town, though they haven't been determined yet. They don't remember anything either, including how they ended up in this backwoods town.

There's something deeper going on here, but it's up to you to find out what happened and what might happen next.

Once I choose a couple new entries, re-distribute strings as though the game were starting for the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

And this makes him unique how? :v:

• Locked thread