Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."
Chloe Caraway

God, the poo poo I put up with! So my mom catches me smoking again, right? And she loving loses her poo poo. She's all like "I thought you told me you'd quit!" but like, what do you expect, mom? I told you that because you wouldn't get the hell out of my face. I mean, why shouldn't I smoke? Because some rich doctor with a fancy car and a big fat pension says I shouldn't? Bullshit! They all smoke too, they just don't want you to know it. It's all a scam by big pharma, anyway -- they all want us to THINK that cigarettes are killing us, when really it's all this poo poo they keep prescribing. The Indians smoked tabbaco all the drat time, and they were okay before we showed up here.

No use telling her that. She starts going on about cancer studies -- please! As if those ivory tower academics know poo poo about anything. 'Science' is just a load of colonial garbage anyway. You can't like... know stuff just from looking through a microscope or whatever. They're no better than the fundies -- no wonder this country's such a shithole. God, this whole town is just full of conformist sheeple -- go ahead, sell your soul to the corporations or the government. Most of the time, I'm pretty sure I'm getting the better deal!

What? Uh, never mind, didn't mean anything by that. Say, can I borrow a smoke? My mom took mine. Christ, I'll be so glad when I'm out of that goddamn house. Yeah, I'm moving out soon; I've got a friend who can help make it happen. No, no one you know. Sorry, I've gotta take off; if I skip school more than twice a week, they call home and I don't want to deal with that bullshit tonight. Thanks for the smoke, I owe you!

quote:

The Infernal

Distant look, burning eyes
Bartered Soul

Hot -1
Cold -1
Volatile 2*
Dark 1*

Soul Debt
Name a dark power that you owe a debt to. Choose two Bargains that it has made with you. It can hold Strings against you. Whenever it collects 5 Strings against you, trigger your Darkest Self.

Unkowable
When you lash out physically against someone, on a 10 up, they lose 1 String on you. On a 7-9, add to your list of options: they lose 1 String on you.

Bare Your Fangs
While you are your Darkest Self, you may use Volatile instead of Cold to shut someone down or hold steady.

Dark Power
The Poisoner

Bargains

Strings Attached
You can ask the dark power for something that you really, really want. The MC will attach a price to the thing you want, and hint at an undesired twist in its nature. If you pay the price, youll get what youre after.

Elsewise Power
You can give the dark power a String to use a move you dont have, just this once. This move can come from any playbook.

The Power Flows Through You
You can give the dark power a String in order to add 2 to your next roll (choose before rolling).

Numbing It Out
You can give the dark power a String in order to remove a Condition or up to two harm.

Uncanny Voices
You can give the dark power a String in order to realize a secret about someone youre talking to. The owner of that character will reveal one of their secret fears, secret desires, or secret strengths (they choose.)

Strings

Bella: 1
Melanie: 3

Given to Poisoner: 5!

Experience: 1/5

1) This town is so goddamn fake. Walmart and GAP and loving McDonalds, big corporations sucking out anything real that used to be here. But there's this one store; Scratched Vinyl. I'm in there any chance I get. You can go there and buy some REAL music, and talk with some of the few people around here who have any kind of clue. Like...

2) Devon; he works at Scratched Vinyl most days. He's really cool -- he never went to college, but you don't need a fancy degree to know poo poo. He always knows about the best music and where all the underground concerts are going to be. He's one of the few people I'll miss when I'm out of this place. What? No! Don't be loving gross. Dude's like my brother.

3) Seems like everywhere you go, someone always wants a piece of you. The government, the corporations, school, family... gently caress all that poo poo. I don't need any of it. If someone's going to own me, it'll be my goddamn choice, you know?

4) If you do not go with Monster Teen Drama Bullshit I will be very disappointed.

Gazetteer fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jul 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Tollymain posted:

Oh poo poo another one.

Chloe, who gave you your first cigarette? Where are they now? Which mistake did they make that you've sworn not to copy?

gently caress, I don't know! Some dude at a lovely party, maybe? I used to go to a lot of-- Wait, wait, wait, it was my cousin, right. Nancy's like five years older than me, and I used to really like her. Hell, 15 year old me thought she was awesome! She'd give me a cigarette, and we'd smoke together and she'd tell me all about how she was going to be an artist. But, dude, has she ever sold out! She's in law school now. Engaged to some colossal douchebag with a bad tan. Soon she'll have the Good Job and the Nice House and the Three Kids. And you just wait; in ten loving years I'll hear all about how douchey-McSprayOnTan was screwing his secretary behind her back, and there'll be a messy divorce and all that law school isn't going to do poo poo about the fact that she'll be in her thirties and miserable and stuck with three bratty kids with a father she hates. And it'll serve her right, because if there's one thing America doesn't need, it's another lawyer.

I'm sure as hell not going to end up like that. I've got better ways to get what I want.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Tollymain posted:

Chloe, what does your um, friend, sound like? Is there anything distinctive about how they communicate with you?

What he sounds like? Uh... Christ, he doesn't sound like anything. Not really. Well... I guess sort of? It's hard to explain. Just listening to the bastard pretty much takes you're breath away. I'm not trying to be loving poetic, either -- you try holding a conversation with him and see how long you're standing.

He needs smoke or vapour or poo poo like that. Usually it's cigarette smoke, but it's been car exhaust a couple times. Oh! And paint thinner once -- don't even loving ask. Longass story. Anyway, you know dude's coming because the smoke starts to get really thick, and... heavy. It gets hard to see, and it clings to you, and soon you can't see poo poo and it's kind of hard to breathe. Or to loving move, even. And there's a voice in my ear, if you can even call it that. Like, you know how you can sort of make words by breathing in instead of out? It's like that, just barely there, but I can always hear him loud and goddamn clear.

The smoke keeps getting worse the longer he talks, too. He can understand me even if I'm gasping and coughing, but I've passed out a couple of times. Mom's not walked in on that yet, though -- lucky thing. Last thing I need right now is for her to get it into her head that I'm into heavier poo poo than I actually am.

He usually comes when I ask, as long as I've got something around for him to use. But sometimes he'll just show up unannounced. That's when he wants something from me. His requests haven't been too bad. Yet.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Tollymain posted:

Chloe, what did you do to the last guy who insinuated you and Devon had something romantic going on? What kind of price did the Poisoner demand for his favor?

Keith Summers. gently caress that guy, seriously. No, that is not what I did to him! loving creeper is what he is. Dude's like 23 or some poo poo, but he spends his time going after highschool girls. He'll notice one and just get fixated for weeks. Sooner or later the bastard is going to end up on national news or something for locking someone in his basement.

And wouldn't you know it? He started coming after me a month back or so. I kept telling him to gently caress off, but the day he gets a hint will be when loving hell freezes over. He started getting it in his head that the reason I wasn't begging to gently caress him or whatever was because of Devon, and he just would not leave me alone or shut up about it. So... I had to call in a favour.

I don't know what Keither the Creeper saw when he looked at me after that, but whatever it was, he sure hasn't come near me since. I actually think he's afraid of me now, which I'm not complaining about.

In return... that was the brook, I think. Okay, maybe that one was a bit bad. "Befoul the waterway" he said -- dude's always melodramatic like that. Maybe it comes with the whole demon gig, I don't loving know. But I had to steal a load of chlorine from the local pool and dump it in. Killed some fish. I kind of feel bad about it, but Kieth hosed off, right? And it's not like we're not polluting poo poo every day anyway. Hey, leave me alone, I did what I had to!

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Angsty teenagers in every flavour of the rainbow! Even if I don't get to play, this should be a fun thread to follow judging by the overall quality of these entries. I had a good time just writing out that submission and the questions.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Tollymain posted:

Err, Gazetteer you need to drop one of your moves, you have too many.

So I do! Fixed, sorry. I'll get a post about strings up later today -- need to run out the door now.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Or maybe I'll get it up sooner than I thought; got to work early today, so I should have time to scrawl something out.

quote:

You owe debts. Give away 3 Strings, divided any way you like between the dark power and the other characters.

My Friend, The Poisoner:
Still figure I owe him one. For the car; dude's actually taking his sweet loving time collecting on that, which makes me a bit nervous, almost. I mean, poo poo, that was one hell of a favor there! Barely used Civic, last year's model, for the sort of price that makes you think there's something horribly wrong with the thing. Except there isn't. Maybe it's not the sexiest thing on the road, but it's a big step up from the loving beaters that the other losers my age drive. That's not just a reliable bit of Japanese engineering sitting in the parking lot over there. That's freedom. Well, freedom for a price.

Emmet:
I'm drat sure robot-boy saw me break into the pool building that time I had to steal all those chemicals. gently caress, that kid is creepy! I have no idea what his problem is. He hasn't ratted me out yet, though, so I guess I shouldn't be too hard on him.

Melanie:
gently caress, I hate Biology. I think I've been to that class twice all semester. Maybe I'm being a bit of a bitch to my lab partner, though -- that foreign chick. From Thailand or something? I don't know, I'm poo poo at geography too. She's been doing all the group work so far, though. Maybe it's an Asian thing. Guess I sort of owe her for it.

quote:

Someone thinks they can save you. Gain a String on them.

Iris
The Poisoner and your Fairy King go way back -- and not in a good way. You know that if you could manage to cheat the demon out of the soul he's invested so much time into, you could earn some major brownie points.

Not that I'm calling you a brownie! That might have been a bit racially insensitive, I guess. (Tell me if this isn't cool with you and I can change it)

Gazetteer fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Feb 20, 2013

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

exuma posted:

AND (from me) Youve captured someones fancy. Gain 2 Strings on them.

Chloe and I have known one another vaguely for years. We're not, like, friends, but back when I was angry our circles overlapped a bit. Now that I'm getting my head down we see each other even less, but last time I saw her I saw who had made a home in her head. An old enemy of the King, just walking round town like that! I saw something else too, the way she looked at me. Like she likes me. It's kinda weird 'cause she's into that Devon guy, and there's no way that The Poisoner is saying nice things about me. But it's kinda cool too, like it shows he hasn't got her locked down, which makes me want to save her more.

Gazetteer I had just written Chloe's head been turned and was going to ask if it was ok with you when I saw your post. The question stands but it looks like we're thinking on similar lines here. I'm totally happy with wanting to save you, obviously.

Sounds good to me. I was actually thinking how weird it was that she didn't have any awkward romantic entanglements among her strings, considering the genre here.

Also, I don't trust Mr. Hansel and will assume that he is evil until proven otherwise :colbert:

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Exuma already highlighted hot for me. Pretty sure everyone has a player highlighted stat now, by my count.

I won't have time to make a full first post in the actual topic until I get home -- that'll be another couple hours at least.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

As far as I understand: It is loaded it with a little canister of liquid nicotine, and the device heats the liquid in the canister and allows you to inhale the nicotine as a vapour. Here's a page talking about it.

I have not actually smoked anything in my life, so I'm kind of semi-ignorant too, and just decided to make her a smoker because apparently this character needs to hold every lovely irrational opinion I ever encountered in highschool.

"It can't be bad for you! It's a plant. That's like, natural and poo poo."

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

So, here is the situation as I see it:

1. Leela clearly likes Emmet -- she makes out with him, then invites him to come get high with her and her friends so she can spend more time with him.

2. On two occasions, though, Emmet has gone out of his way to make sure Chloe will be there as well.

3. Now that he is in this basement Leela invited him to, he is essentially ignoring Leela to go talk with this girl he was so insistent come with them.

Sounds like a good time for jealousy and misunderstandings, to me.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Aw, that's too bad. Having two werewolf clans at such opposite ends of human social class was a cool dynamic -- I hope you can come back later when things calm down for you.

exuma posted:

drat, Gazetteer that was awesome. I can't help feeling sorry for poor, clueless Emmet though.

: ) I'd heard the game designer talk about the Infernal a bit in a podcast interview. He said the idea behind the class is that you're really powerful and can get a lot done at first, but then you eventually hit your Darkest Self and become desperate and comparatively weak. So far the first half is definitely true. And one of the bargains I don't have yet lets me add +2 to any roll, too.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Iris still has the most strings on Chloe, Chloe has most strings on no one.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Sorry I was late there. I'll try not to do that again.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Oh, yeah, I'm definitely still up for it.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

So, if this is a reboot does that mean we reset things like strings and experience, or do we keep what we already had?

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Do I keep that advancement I took, or do you want me to go back to baseline?

Tollymain posted:

New strings all around. This crazy new year has shaken up how you all relate to each other, and to the new folks.

Emmet, Chloe, Melanie: How did you react to forgetting the entire last year? What is one change that you would not have expected? How are you dealing with this situation?

Chloe

How do I feel? Are you a loving idiot? It's like the goddamn hangover from hell -- I have no idea what happened, what I might have done, who I might have done, and in this case I didn't even get to get wasted first. So, yeah, I feel like poo poo, thanks for asking. Seriously, though, I didn't even plan to still be here this year. Yet here I am, living with my mother, going to loving school like a goddamn sheep person. And obviously my 'friend' won't tell me poo poo for free, even though I know he knows something. If he had a proper mouth he'd be laughing at me when I ask. This poo poo with Iris is tripping me out, too. Like, what, people just loving vanish and no one remembers now? Is that a thing? The moment I started to make some progress, too! Okay, that sounds bitchy, I am actually worried about her. Just, it doesn't help, you know?

Aside from Iris, I think the biggest change might be that I am apparently dating someone now? I've got no loving clue who this chick is, but she keeps loving texting me poo poo. At least, I hope it's a chick. If some dude tries to kiss me next time I show up at school I might have to break his jaw on general principle, and that's going to be hard to explain. Anyway, going to need to figure out who exactly this is or things are going to get complicated.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

So, someone thinks they can save my wizened, demon-devoured soul. Any takers?

And I need to pass out three strings between the other players and my dark master. I'll give one to Melanie -- there is evidence that we were dating or some poo poo and she's got like cute date phots I don't remember that make for good emotional blackmail.

And I'll give the other two to... Richard and Guy. What do you two have on me?

(Apparently I have kept my nose clean with the poisoner lately, something I expect to last for all of five minutes of actual play)

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

AlanWhats posted:

So, small reminder to bug y'all about how each of you get a String on Richard. He isn't very subtle, what with him being Richard. So, feel free to flesh out what all your deal/problem with him is.

And now, in character!

Hey, you know Melanie? Yeah, I don't know what to think of that girl. At first I just thought she was just some regular, boring-rear end girl with nothing worth noting. I mean yeah, she's a "foreigner" but gently caress, everyone who wanders in here is a foreigner in this rear end-backwards place. Thing is one day when I was passing her by in the hallway, I thought I caught a whiff of something familiar. It was instinctive, you know, that smell of another werewolf. I couldn't figure out who the hell it was though. Still, it got me curious, so I...kinda kept track and followed her around for a couple weeks. Yeah it's kinda really creepy and poo poo, but a guy's gotta know man! Hey, I didn't say it was all fun being a wolf.

Richard takes two strings on Melanie because she smells like another dog. Congratulations and condolences.

Oh yeah, I remember! This is kinda petty but hahahaha yeah no I can't stick with that this is just hilarious. Okay, so you know Chloe? Yeah that one, the girl who used to smoke all the time and would never shut up about "SHEEPLE SHEEPLE INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX ARGHYARGHYARGHBLAAAHBLARBADYBLUGH". Couldn't resist. Anyways, so, I remember she's all trying to be against the man and stuff and annoying and god drat. She doesn't even smell that much of menthol nowadays, it's such a shame.

So, I'm riding by on my motorcycle, when all of a sudden I swear that I see her walk into the McDonald's down on Main Street. Now, naturally, as a concerned citizen I gotta see where this was going, so I pull into a spot across the way. I'm fully expecting her to just go off on the burger-flipper behind the counter, but instead she just walks in like it's no big deal. A few minutes later and there I was, standing there with my jaw slackened as the girl who won't shut up about vaccines grabs hold of a double quarter pounder with extra special sauce. No that is not innuendo stop being 12, that's my job.

To wrap this up, I now have pictures of her biting into said double quarter pounder for all to see. You better believe I'm going to use this whenever I get the chance. Man I cannot wait to see the look on her face.

Hey, I hate to do this, but I have a hard time imagining Chloe giving a poo poo about being seen eating lovely fast food some time. The way she turned out in the last topic, she is aimlessly, furiously anti-establishment to exactly the point where she can justify her own lifestyle, and definitely not to the point where it actually causes her any hardship. She would go to McDonalds with you, order something and complain about it the whole time. Then she would probably eating half your fries while explaining how anti-smoking laws in public restaurants were something invented by HITLER.

If I could offer some suggestions, you could see her doing something suspicious (her demon makes her do that from time to time), or even outwardly unnatural. She is also a lesbian (but gently caress your labels, rear end in a top hat) and is not really out about it at all, which is pretty easy to make a string out of if you've noticed it at all. She's also a really lovely driver, and it's likely enough that you might have seen her hit something and then drive off.

Okay, I'll try to come up with something for your string now, then. Let me know if it works with what you have in mind:

Richard is Not Subtle

That Richard dude? loving weirdo. So I'm driving back from the trailer park -- I'm in and out of there a lot, what with motherfucking Ben being too lazy to walk 20 minutes and not owning a goddamn car. It's getting a bit late, I guess, so I don't really notice that there's a deer or something running across the road until it's almost too late. What? Hey, shut the gently caress up, shithead; who the hell drives the speed limit out in the middle of nowhere? It's not like I was driving past a loving playground -- Christ!

Anyway, you want to hear the loving story or not? Yeah, thought so. Anyway, I slam my breaks on, and as the thing is lit up by my headlights, I realise it's not a loving deer. It's a dude; a dude running through the woods with no shoes on and something red splashed across his shirt. I just barely recognise him as that 'new guy from school who seems like a dick' -- I think he saw me, too -- and then he's gone, and I just start driving because you don't stop and ask questions about that kind of poo poo around that trailer park. I'd like like to know what the gently caress he was doing out there.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Bella: 1|1
Emmet: 0|0
Guy: 0|1
Melanie: 3|1
Richard: 1|1

Poisoner, the: 0|0

Let me know if I got that wrong anywhere.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Melanie, highlight Hot. Let's get this trainwreck started straight out of the gate.

I'm going to vote Hot for Guy as well. Watch as our visitor from far away struggles to navigate the murky waters of this strange emotion hu-mans call love sex.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

I just made a move by invoking a Bargain. I'm giving Alan the chance to take one now.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Hi -- sorry for not posting already. I'll probably make one tomorrow; I've been busy with family stuff this week.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Melanie offered me two strings to go after two separate people for her. I didn't take the second experience because I didn't know if Richard was still around. If you think that they're two similar to warrant needing two strings like that, it's cool.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Yeah, I figured that was the case. I'll try to get up a post tonight.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Sorry; I'll post tomorrow. I know I'm being slow.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

No good comes from being a werewolf who is into Melanie.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

I'm pretty sure I still look like...

Bella: 1
Melanie: 3

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

I'll highlight Hot for Mel. I want to see her manipulate some people while she's in her Darkest Self.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

I don't think I'm comfortable playing in this topic anymore, so I'm dropping out. Don't really feel like having a drawn out discussion about it here.

• Locked thread