Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Gyges posted:

Nope, not only was Cuccinelli not conservative enough, the liberal media tricked Virginia voters into being against the shutdown and blaming Republicans for it.

It's a silly phrase, but "Conservatism can never fail. It can only be failed." is the actual world view of a lot of the right. They believe that they actually are the majority and that it's only through tricks by the left and impurity by the right that conservative candidates fail. They are the Silent Majority and Real America, any evidence to the contrary is a liberal lie.

I predict they'll blame the current McDonnell scandal as well, especially since it partially ensnared Cuccinelli.

Which is kinda reasonable when you think about it - the best attack (true or not) against McAuliffe is framing him as a stereotypical slimy corrupt machine politician who'll do anything for a buck, and you can't get much traction on that when the current Republican governor and the Republican candidate are embroiled in a financial scandal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Alex Sink makes it official and will run to replace Bill Young.

She's immediately the top candidate for the Democrats, although I'm kind of wishy-washy about the whole thing. She ran a terrible campaign for governor that ended with Rick Scott winning, and there were questions earlier this year about whether she could keep her heart in politics after her husband (another former failed governor candidate Bill McBride) died suddenly.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
On All In, someone was saying that 75% of people affected by Sandy were dissatisfied with Christie's response.

What is the basis of this?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

ufarn posted:

On All In, someone was saying that 75% of people affected by Sandy were dissatisfied with Christie's response.

What is the basis of this?
It's this http://tinyurl.com/kdo7css

More exactly it's: 75% of people impacted by the storm feel like people "like them" were forgotten in recovery effort.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

pangstrom posted:

It's this http://tinyurl.com/kdo7css

More exactly it's: 75% of people impacted by the storm feel like people "like them" were forgotten in recovery effort.

What would you bet these are people who had their sump pump overflow, or maybe had a tree fall in their backyard, who just want to complain that they're just as worthy of a full mobilized response as those people?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Teddybear posted:

What would you bet these are people who had their sump pump overflow, or maybe had a tree fall in their backyard, who just want to complain that they're just as worthy of a full mobilized response as those people?
Not your fault you missed this, it's buried at the end, but all respondents were displaced from their home for a minimum of a month.

Most people (and apes/monkeys, for that matter) will feel resentful if they perceive someone else getting more. That's the animal side of things. The numbers side of things is that one person / business / area is helped THE MOST (and that probably gets on TV) and every other person then falls into the other category.

Not saying this was their intention, I have no idea, but if you want grist for a "recovery failed" message that question is the best way I can think to do it.

Adjunct Cheesecake
Mar 19, 2009

mmmmmm

pangstrom posted:

Not your fault you missed this, it's buried at the end, but all respondents were displaced from their home for a minimum of a month.

Most people (and apes/monkeys, for that matter) will feel resentful if they perceive someone else getting more. That's the animal side of things. The numbers side of things is that one person / business / area is helped THE MOST (and that probably gets on TV) and every other person then falls into the other category.

Not saying this was their intention, I have no idea, but if you want grist for a "recovery failed" message that question is the best way I can think to do it.

Among some of the beach communities, there's the feeling that some places (i.e. Seaside Heights) have been given more attention than others. Also, the western coast of NJ that's near the Delmarva peninsula has almost completely been ignored which people aren't happy about.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Ted Cruz has realized that he might actually need Republicans to like him if he's going to run for President and says that he, Mike Lee, and Rand Paul will not raise any more funds for the Senate Conservatives Fund, which is planning to primary Republican Senators in 2014.

quote:

At a closed-door lunch meeting of Senate Republicans Wednesday, the freshman conservative told his colleagues that he would not intervene in their 2014 primary fights or fundraise for the controversial outside group. Cruz added that the SCF’s decision to try to defeat sitting GOP senators in their primaries was its alone, according to several people familiar with the session.

According to one source familiar with the meeting in the Senate’s Mansfield Room, Cruz noted that Republican Sens. Mike Lee of Utah and Rand Paul of Kentucky wouldn’t fundraise for the group and promised that his image would be removed from its materials. Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) told Cruz that Paul took such an action six months ago, but he thanked the Texas conservative for doing so. Other GOP senators also thanked Cruz, sources say.

I love that Team Mitch is all in for Rand Paul in this little quarrel and is calling out Cruz's bullshit. In a somewhat related note, Thad Cochran just cast his 20,000th vote in the Senate today.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Joementum posted:

In a somewhat related note, Thad Cochran just cast his 20,000th vote in the Senate today.
What's the total percentage of those cast to defund Obamacare?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

When your state senate quietly but quickly rushes through a bill with immediate effect that strips the court of authority of its power to litigate cases against the Governor and hands it to the Michigan Surpreme Court, who then gets to cherry pick who will hear those cases.

Makes you wonder what the future holds for Governor Snyder that they need to insulate him from litigation.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Sweet I'm going to donate to the senate conservatives fund.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Oct 31, 2013

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

ReindeerF posted:

What's the total percentage of those cast to defund Obamacare?

0%, he's a senator.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

A Bag of Milk posted:

0%, he's a senator.
BZZZTTT

http://www.cochran.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/news-releases?ID=1a81abf9-4b6b-43aa-8e2f-f8c016b75523

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Bill Young's son, appropriately named Bill Young II, called up the media this afternoon to tell them to come by the local GOP headquarters, where he'd have an announcement to make!

After much speculation, Young II declared in front of the news cameras... he won't run for Congress.

(a phone call or email would have worked too)

So for those of you playing at home, there have so far been exactly ZERO Republicans who have announced their intention to run for this Congressional seat that their party has held for the last 40 years. The biggest name to not say anything one way or the other right now is former St. Petersburg mayor Rick Baker.

Over on the D side, it's still just Alex "I lost to Rick loving Scott" Sink and lawyer Jessica Ehrlich. Sink has the name recognition, but Ehrlich has been running and raising money since pretty much the day after she lost to the late Bill Young back in 2012.

Primary is set for January 14, with the special election on March 11. Then we do it all over again next November.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Sink is the one scaring everyone out of the race on both sides of the aisle. Given the general recent propensity of Florida to put Republicans in state offices, the amount of money Scott spent, and that it was 2010, Sink losing by only 1.1 percent is actually a big positive for her, not a negative.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
Meanwhile Charlie Crist has officially filed to run for Governor.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Looks like some things aren't going to change for Senator Booker.

I also just realized this means he'll be all over the Members of Congress twitter list :gonk:

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
I'm really curious to see if Mr Booker can still continue his role of superhero with his new job.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

jeffersonlives posted:

Sink is the one scaring everyone out of the race on both sides of the aisle. Given the general recent propensity of Florida to put Republicans in state offices, the amount of money Scott spent, and that it was 2010, Sink losing by only 1.1 percent is actually a big positive for her, not a negative.

I disagree. While 2010 was Tea Partypalooza, Rick Scott faced an uphill battle the entire way. The establishment despised him and threw everything they could at him during the primaries, and thus came out of it with huge negatives that have never gone away. A lot of conservatives were pretty meh on him, but only voted because of a "Well, it's not like he's a Democrat" rationale. After Scott beat McCollum (the establishment candidate) for the GOP nomination, the general thinking was it was Sink's election to lose. And a lackluster campaign that included a "cheating" performance during a debate sank her.

The state GOP can easily target her in this election by painting her as a carpetbagger who helped ruin Florida's economy as Chief Financial Officer during Charlie Crist's tenure as governor. Bill Young II Electric Boogaloo could've easily challenged her with his name recognition, so I'm wondering if it was privately decided to let Rick Baker take a shot at it. He was very popular as mayor (much moreso than who's in there now) and he's seen as a moderate, which could benefit him in this overall purplish district.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
What's the filing deadline for that seat, Ballz? If the primary is Jan 14th, the filing deadline must be coming up soon.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

quote:

The candidate qualifying period will begin at 8 a.m. on Nov. 18 and end at 12 noon on Nov. 19. A seven-day early voting period will be required before each election, from Jan. 4-11 and from March 1-8.

(Source)

So there's no immediate rush, but I'd suspect we'll hear from Baker and any other would-be contenders by the end of next week.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
Holy poo poo, please don't tell people on this board are still falling for Brooker's neoliberal hucker poo poo.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

bpower posted:

Holy poo poo, please don't tell people on this board are still falling for Brooker's neoliberal hucker poo poo.

Oh man I can't wait for another 10-page derail on Cory "Neoliberal and Literally Hitler" Booker :allears:

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Gen. Ripper posted:

Oh man I can't wait for another 10-page derail on Cory "Neoliberal and Literally Hitler" Booker :allears:

Well I don't want that, but objectively if he was in Europe he'd be on the liberal wing of a right wing party, eg half the LibDems, Ken Clarke type conservatives etc.

Any American that thinks the Dems are left wing are just loving wrong.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

bpower posted:

Cool. Glad we cleared that up.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

bpower posted:

Well I don't want that, but objectively if he was in Europe he'd be on the liberal wing of a right wing party, eg half the LibDems, Ken Clarke type conservatives etc.

What that guy meant with 'superhero' was his running into burning buildings part.

If you weren't actually responding to someone and just got mad at Booker's name being mentioned, then sorry.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

bpower posted:

Thanks for the update dude everyone hates talking to because he's saying something we already know, in the smuggest, douchiest, way possible.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Thanks for the update dude everyone hates talking to because he's saying something we already know, in the smuggest, douchiest, way possible.

Glass houses, bro.

Booker's going to be a disappointment most likely but, being from Jersey, most of my hate-space is taken up by Christie. Christie takes up a lot of space, is what I'm trying to say.

edit: It is a fat joke.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm just glad that Crist is running officially. We need to get the hell out of Scott's awfulness.

Anukis
Jan 23, 2006

I'm an empathetic, sensitive, educated, intellectually curious non-idiot. Hi.
It's amazing how good Charlie Crist looks in comparison to the cartoon villain currently in office.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

This reminds me of those videos where a cat jumps into a mirror.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Anukis posted:

It's amazing how good Charlie Crist looks in comparison to the cartoon villain currently in office.

To be fair, this is true of everyone. Nice of Rick Scott to reset Crist's term limit clock though. 8 more years of supremacy in the Tannest Governor category!

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

Ballz posted:

Over on the D side, it's still just Alex "I lost to Rick loving Scott" Sink and lawyer Jessica Ehrlich. Sink has the name recognition, but Ehrlich has been running and raising money since pretty much the day after she lost to the late Bill Young back in 2012.

Alex Sink is going to clean up that race, there was about a 1% chance of anyone else winning that seat the instant she decided to run.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Brigadier Sockface posted:

I'm really curious to see if Mr Booker can still continue his role of superhero with his new job.

He's going to run into the burning capitol building and save democracy! :swoon:

Or more likely, just tweet the wrong goddamned thing and be the one going down in flames. Either way, quality TV.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hey remember that part where Booker's opponent straight-up told people he'd be the most ruthless and unsympathetic piece of poo poo they ever voted for?

loving news flash: That's a big reason why people voted for Booker, not because they thought of him as some great savior of leftist theory. He might be a pretty charming guy but it's pretty insulting of anyone to act like people around here are a cadre of starry-eyed fluffers when they say "Hey, Booker's a nice guy."

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm writing my own Game Change that takes place in mid-2009 and centers around D&D's breakthrough discovery of the word "neoliberal."

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

The Entire Universe posted:

Hey remember that part where Booker's opponent straight-up told people he'd be the most ruthless and unsympathetic piece of poo poo they ever voted for?

loving news flash: That's a big reason why people voted for Booker, not because they thought of him as some great savior of leftist theory. He might be a pretty charming guy but it's pretty insulting of anyone to act like people around here are a cadre of starry-eyed fluffers when they say "Hey, Booker's a nice guy."
B-b-b-but I heard him say something that wasn't mean about corporations once, and also Jews!!

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Ronald McReagan posted:

Alex Sink is going to clean up that race, there was about a 1% chance of anyone else winning that seat the instant she decided to run.

How do you figure? You think the Republican Party is going to just roll over and give up a seat they've held for nearly half a century? This district isn't deep blue at all, both national parties are going to be pouring tons of money into this race... and the day after the special election the loser will probably get right back on the campaign trail for November 2014.

Sink might have statewide recognition, but this district is just a chunk of Pinellas County, Florida. You don't need someone that well known to win this election, a local bigwig such as Rick Baker (assuming he runs) can certainly put together a formidable campaign.

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

Ballz posted:

How do you figure? You think the Republican Party is going to just roll over and give up a seat they've held for nearly half a century? This district isn't deep blue at all, both national parties are going to be pouring tons of money into this race... and the day after the special election the loser will probably get right back on the campaign trail for November 2014.

Sink might have statewide recognition, but this district is just a chunk of Pinellas County, Florida. You don't need someone that well known to win this election, a local bigwig such as Rick Baker (assuming he runs) can certainly put together a formidable campaign.

I don't think they're going to roll over, I just don't think they have much of a chance of succeeding. Alex Sink is the closest thing this race could possibly have to an incumbent: she is well-known and very popular in the area apart from her statewide recognition, and she has strong relationships with all of the relevant power players (unions, banks, real estate folks, etc.). Furthermore, the district now (after 2010 redistricting) includes all of Pinellas County (which, despite containing a sizeable chunk of old and/or white-trash racist rednecks, still went for Obama by a margin of about 6 points in 2012) instead of mostly the Republican-voting parts. In the old days, Bill Young used to win the races by 30 points on average (not even counting the 7 times he ran unopposed), but in 2012, he only won by half that much against a not-particularly-good candidate.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

bpower posted:

Who was the dude doing this earlier? Silentd? Are you his re-reg?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Livingtrope posted:

Who was the dude doing this earlier? Silentd? Are you his re-reg?
No, it was mcmagic who was really anti-Cory Booker, for reasons I honestly still can't figure out. About the only problem I see with Booker is that he supports charter schools, otherwise he's a fairly progressive Democrat, especially on drug issues; I'd be overjoyed to vote for him here in Texas.

Anukis posted:

I'm looking forward to Charlie Crist joining Terry McAuliffe in another shining example of "how the gently caress is that guy winning the race?". It really shows just how badly the Republicans have hosed up that a slimy, corporate Democrat and a disgraced Republican-turned-independent-turned-Democrat are probably going to win their respective Governors' races.:getin:

Just to note, I would happily vote for both of them; given that Governor Rick Perry has hosed up Texas for as long as I can remember, and both of them would be vast improvements over him.

• Locked thread