Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Yeah, governors. Does anyone know if the PA Dems are going to put any effort into it or just let Corbett coast to a second term on a 30% approval rating?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Nolanar posted:

Anyone know much about how the PA governor's race is shaping up? Corbett's seeming really unpopular, but I'm never confident in this state doing anything sane in midterm years. Wikipedia implies that the two big Democrats in the primary could be Joe Sestak (decent opinions, but isn't charismatic) and Allyson Schwartz (who I don't know much about). Any hope of Corbett going through a harrowing primary that burns all his money?

I haven't heard anything either which worries me. I mean it's possible Corbett gets primaried but I'd like to think he's unpopular exactly because he's doing everything the Republicans want. (And still having unemployment go up. whee.) There's one poll on the wiki page (which is really all I have to go on) that has "someone else" leading him by 12 points but that's typically meaningless. Wiki's got a long list of "potential" Democratic candidates... the only two "declared" don't seem to have a chance even though every potential matchup with Corbett seems to be a tossup with 20+% undecided, so who knows at this point.

edit: It could certainly be their strategy to put someone different on the ticket and pretend they aren't just the same old crap. It worked for Toomey and is pretty much how Corbett got elected in the first place.

Polygynous fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 21, 2013

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
I don't think "declared" means anything official at this point other than "formed a campaign and informed some blog about it". I guess I'm just used to 2+ year presidential campaigns while the primary is still 14 months off. I'm complaining nothing's happening now but I'm sure the horse race crap will start eventually and I'll instantly be sick of it. :v:

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
There's an article/column in the paper today about the good chance Corbett may go 0-for-3 on his legislative priorities this session. (Which are: liquor privatization, lottery privatization, and pension reform. There's also an important transportation bill up.)

If I read right the budget is due at midnight and everything else may have to wait until the fall session.

Of course, the transportation bill is the only thing that isn't terrible. The problem is it needs Democratic support because shitheads some rural Republicans see it as wasting ARE TAX DOLLARS on urban areas, and gently caress those guys. And Democrats have been completely shut out of the political process since Corbett took office so they're not exactly jumping at the chance. Oh, and there's a whole political mess where some representatives are making their support of liquor privatization contingent on the transportation bill passing and other fun stuff like that... like the liquor privatization may come down to how many Republicans decide to be prohibitionists or throw a fit because their special interest didn't get a deal. That one in particular is a hilarious mess.

Summary: Republicans have a stranglehold on Pennsylvania government and still can't get anything done.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Nice Davis posted:

What's so bad about the liquor privatization bill?

notthegoatseguy posted:

Yeah, some of the liquor laws are loving insane. I mean yeah, Indiana still has no sunday retail sales. But liquor stores in Virginia close at loving 9pm.

Is Pennsylvania's liquor laws similar to Virginia's?

It would be one thing if the plan were straight privatization, "get the state out of the liquor business" and all that. (loving the unions would either be a side effect or the whole point depending on who you ask.) But they know they don't have a chance of that so what they're trying to do is a bunch of odd half measures and liberalizations and favors to special interests.

Present law isn't that complicated. Wine and liquor are only available at State Stores. Beer can be bought by the case at distributors, or by the six-pack at restaurants that have licenses (plus a handful of grocery stores that have an imaginary line on the floor separating part of the store as a "restaurant").

edit: Accessibility is pretty good, somehow they've managed to keep expanding hours without attaching it to privatization in the past. The closest store where I live is open 12-5 Sunday and 9-10 every other day. It's a "premium" store though, and as such selection is better than smaller stores.

Here's an article just about the liquor plan. Summary:

- grocery stores could get a license to sell beer and wine

- distributors could get a license to sell wine and liquor (and remove the by-the-case restriction)

- convenience stores could sell beer (and maybe wine) if they are at least 3/4 mile away from any distributor with the new license

- I think I read somewhere that State Stores would only begin to be closed after twice as many licenses as there are State Stores now are sold, by county.

- some taxes would go away or be reformed (a big one is the Johnstown Flood Tax: 18% on all wine and liquor ostensibly for something that happened in 1889)

- somehow stores like Wal-Mart and Target won't be getting licenses

Anyway. As for how this would affect consumers... I personally have no problem with expanding beer and possibly wine sales. If they could fix the taxes without attaching it to a dozen other things that wouldn't be too bad either. For liquor sales I just haven't seen anything credible indicating privatization would be an improvement. ed: Really the biggest problem I have with the plan (and current law) is distributors are a mostly useless entrenched special interest that gets all kinds of favors.

Waterbed posted:

Political donations, of course.

Also sticking it to the unions. Also there's no CEO getting $10 million bonuses off some people's addiction, which is practically theft as far as Republicans are concerned.

Polygynous fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 30, 2013

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
I haven't seen any Pennsylvaniachat lately in this thread. Unfortunately I can't find a link with a direct quote but Gov. Tom Corbett was whining this past week about the State Supreme Court overturning parts of Act 13 that basically overruled local zoning decisions when it came to gas drilling. It went something like, the decision could have far reaching implications on any industry affecting the environment. To which everyone sane said, "yeah, and?"

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
I had to look it up, it was Scott Paterno that ran (and laughably lost) as a Republican for a US House seat a few years back.

Anyway this amused me, today the paper listed the people running for Governor and Lt Gov. Everyone listed their occupation or office, "businessman" or "former secretary of whatever". Except Paterno, just had his name. :v:

That and Al Gore endorsed Katie McGinty, apparently she worked for/with him and headed the Department of Environmental Protection under Rendell. (I'll admit I haven't been following stuff real closely but that's about all I know about the Democratic candidates at this point.)

...and Corbett started running a severely boring ad about fiscal responsibility and fighting :siren: WELFARE FRAUD :siren:.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
One down... like half a dozen to go.

"John Hanger announced he was withdrawing from the [Pennsylvania] Democratic Governor's race Thursday morning."

On the one hand he's said things that could be considered vaguely leftist. On the other this is one less possible split in primary votes when this is the alternative:

quote:

[Tom] Wolf, the millionaire York County businessman who used $10 million of his own money to blanket the airwaves with his advertisements last month, shot to the top of the pack in all the primary polls.
An almost sure shot at ousting Corbett and right now we're going with the guy who's got business experience. :suicide:

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Mischitary posted:

There's a four Democrat primary going on in Pennsylvania right now. It's kind of interesting I suppose but all of them are basically saying the same thing, last time I checked the biggest substantive difference is how big they want to tax people who extract natural gas in Pennsylvania, which seems to me like the biggest issue going right now. That and education funding, which was practically gutted. I'm pretty sure that whoever is going to win the primary is probably going to beat Corbett who is literally so inept and void of charisma that he's on his way to becoming the first PA Governor in like 40 years to get voted out of office.

:eng101: From 1874 to 1968 the Pennsylvania Constitution prevented Governors from serving consecutive terms. Every one so far since 1968 that has been eligible has been reelected.

As the primary goes, Wolf could be fine for all I know, there's just something off-putting about a businessman funding his own campaign. Apparently there's been at least one attack ad now, and Rendell is telling them to cut that poo poo out.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Yeah. There's an article in the paper today about the debate last week which barely mentioned any issues so I guess they're in agreement on most things. Leaving personality and attack ads and that sort of bullshit to differentiate themselves. whee.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Corbett's already running anti-Wolf ads. :unsmigghh:

11-dimensional chess means he either does or doesn't want Wolf as an opponent, I guess.

Unsurprisingly the ad didn't mention the billion dollar shortfall in Corbett's fantasy budget.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

made of bees posted:

oh poo poo oh poo poo I forgot primaries were tomorrow

This might be a dumb question but does anyone know of a reliable site for comparing primary candidate or am I going to have to do Actual Research tonight?

You could check your local newspaper's site for a voter guide. I remember there being a few general sites that cover elections (beyond polling) but I can't think of the names. Someone else should know.

e: Of course the voter guide could be useless if it even exists*. :v: Now I'm wishing I paid more attention to the radio interview with the lt. gov candidates. I'd look for like debate coverage but I remember reading it and it was like they all agree on most things and one said something about legalizing it. eh.

* (for example, the paper asked 4 questions of the lt gov candidates, the first was "do you think your job should exist".)

Polygynous fucked around with this message at 01:01 on May 20, 2014

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
I don't remember hearing about any huge differences between the candidates. I think it was Sunday's paper here that had a summary and there wasn't anything remarkable that I remember. I'll see if I can find it again.

e: Couldn't find it in Sunday's or Thursday's paper. Really I think the biggest difference was like how far they were willing to go on marijuana decriminalization/legalization.

e2: Here's something like what I was looking for. Eleven issues, basically each starts with "All four candidates would..." this or that.

Polygynous fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 21, 2014

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Cliff Racer posted:

I thought that Corbett had a primary against some loony (Bob Guzzardo, or as liked to call him, Gob Buzzardo,) or did said loony drop out?

Guzzardi. The state Supreme Court ruled his paperwork wasn't in order and ordered him removed from the primary.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2014/05/pa_supreme_court_ousts_guzzard.html

(Apparently he was still on the ballot in places that didn't want to pay to reprint/reprogram them or whatever. Votes for him weren't supposed to count though.)

Polygynous fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 21, 2014

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
So the same day Pennsylvania's gay marriage ban was overturned a Republican state Representative may have lost to a write in candidate. Mike Fleck has been serving since 2006 and the only thing that's changed in the past two years... is he came out. Stay classy, PAGOP.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2014/05/state_rep_mike_fleck_republica.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Yeah. Millionaire businessman that blew a bunch of his own money on ads. Apparently it worked.

Though if their responses to media surveys are to be believed there was no big difference between the candidates. Who knows, the "successful businessman" thing may encourage crossover votes or at least discourage votes for Corbett come November.

• Locked thread