Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
Oh now this is just terrible....

What kind of gruesome deaths can happen to Lara in a psychiatric office? Really grasping at straws here Crystal Dynamics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Tomb Raider: Prozac Overdose sounds like a very interesting and original concept if you ask me.

DekeThornton fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jun 11, 2014

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Ronnie posted:

Oh now this is just terrible....

What kind of gruesome deaths can happen to Lara in a psychiatric office? Really grasping at straws here Crystal Dynamics.

Presenting "Tomb Raider: EXPLOSIONS". Wherever Lara goes, explosions follow her! Watch the psychiatric office get reduced to a pile of rubble and pick out Lara's half immolated head flying through the air. Only on XBone & PS4!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I want a drugged out Lara Croft game where she thinks she's raiding tombs and finding treasures but in reality she's just running around her wealthy neighborhood robbing houses.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Yodzilla posted:

I want a drugged out Lara Croft game where she thinks she's raiding tombs and finding treasures but in reality she's just running around her wealthy neighborhood robbing houses.

Tomb Raider 2: The King of California

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I don't know if anyone else is reading the tie-in comic that's supposed to lead into the next game, but I really hope it has nothing to do with the plot of RISE OF THE TOMB RAIDER. Spoiler for anyone who hasn't read the comic: There are Solarii everywhere and they're still coming after Lara and her friends! Oh, and Sam is kidnapped for some nefarious purpose, again.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

DrNutt posted:

I don't know if anyone else is reading the tie-in comic that's supposed to lead into the next game, but I really hope it has nothing to do with the plot of RISE OF THE TOMB RAIDER. Spoiler for anyone who hasn't read the comic: There are Solarii everywhere and they're still coming after Lara and her friends! Oh, and Sam is kidnapped for some nefarious purpose, again.

Hopefully this is just Lara's paranoid delusion, and not actually true.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

DrNutt posted:

There are Solarii everywhere and they're still coming after Lara and her friends! Oh, and Sam is kidnapped for some nefarious purpose, again.

:( Is the person writing the game itself the same person who wrote the previous one at least?

Those tie-in comics rarely matter though, usually they're written very quickly and based on discarded drafts of possible premises for the game from whenever they started making them. It's rare to have instances like Soul Reaver where the comic was literally cutscenes/characters from the game they couldn't finish for the game in time.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 11, 2014

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Rhianna Pratchett was lead on the first game, no info about this one.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Neo Rasa posted:

:( Is the person writing the game itself the same person who wrote the previous one at least?

NM, misunderstood your question. I don't know who's writing the second game but I sure hope it's still Rhianna Pratchett and that she's able to get past those particular plot elements.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I seem to recall her speaking very negatively about her experience with writing the first game (i.e. they apparently changed/ditched a lot of the characterization), so I doubt she'll return for 2.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I honestly think Gail Simone would be fine, I just hope the issues I have with the comic don't carry over.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Hakkesshu posted:

I seem to recall her speaking very negatively about her experience with writing the first game (i.e. they apparently changed/ditched a lot of the characterization), so I doubt she'll return for 2.

She straight up disowned Thief due to how hosed up the end result was.

I have to imagine being a writer for video games being a hard and frustrating experience when your work is chopped up and destroyed due to technical and budgetary reasons. I mean, that happens in TV and film as well but it seems even worse for games.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

DrNutt posted:

I honestly think Gail Simone would be fine,

I think I just bit through my tongue.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

Oh, you're right, I was totally thinking of Thief. Well, she might return, then.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Rhianna Pratchett tweeted that she'll be returning for the sequel as a part of the team.

Yodzilla posted:

I have to imagine being a writer for video games being a hard and frustrating experience when your work is chopped up and destroyed due to technical and budgetary reasons. I mean, that happens in TV and film as well but it seems even worse for games.

She also has the problem of idiots making GBS threads on anything she does because they think she's only getting work thanks to her father.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

The most egregious example is Eric Nylund disowned and distanced himself from Gears of War also. I mean he created the setting and story for Gears of War 1. Look at the end result in the Gears 1/2 games I can't say I blame him.

It's cool that Rhianna Pratchett is back though, my hopes are high.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
The story in Gears of War 1 & 2 was completely incomprehensible with how chopped up those games ended up being. I don't blame him.

Veib posted:

She also has the problem of idiots making GBS threads on anything she does because they think she's only getting work thanks to her father.

I can imagine, especially with neeeeeeerds.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
I don't really understand why some people hate the story and characters in the Tomb Raider reboot so much. I mean it wan't great or anything. A fairly run of the mill and predictable plot with sort of cliched characters, but it served ok for running the action along and I've sure encountered far worse plots in plenty recent video games. Unremarkable but servicable really.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

DekeThornton posted:

I don't really understand why some people hate the story and characters in the Tomb Raider reboot so much. I mean it wan't great or anything. A fairly run of the mill and predictable plot with sort of cliched characters, but it served ok for running the action along and I've sure encountered far worse plots in plenty recent video games. Unremarkable but servicable really.

The story wasn't great itself, but the arc was well done. Going from scared and barely scraping by to COME ON THEN YOU BASTARDS by the end was fantastic.

I dont know much about it, but I'm worried by the therapy framing I've heard about for this one. It was pretty much core to the point of the reboot that Lara did not come out of that story broken, but standing triumphant.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Dan Didio posted:

I think I just bit through my tongue.

I only recently started reading comics again so I don't have anything to go on beyond what she's written on Tomb Raider. Beyond the problems I already mentioned, it's pretty typical writing for a comic book. :shrug:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

DekeThornton posted:

I think people expected/wanted more of the survival aspect than what the game ultimately delivered. It seemed like something they intended to do but couldn't for development reasons.

And this is a personal thing but I've always thought the magical elements of the Tomb Raider games were kinda dumb but they've been in there since literally the first game so eh.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

ShineDog posted:

The story wasn't great itself, but the arc was well done. Going from scared and barely scraping by to COME ON THEN YOU BASTARDS by the end was fantastic.

I dont know much about it, but I'm worried by the therapy framing I've heard about for this one. It was pretty much core to the point of the reboot that Lara did not come out of that story broken, but standing triumphant.

In which way was the ending "triumphant"? The ending and final journal entry might not say "she's broken" but it's very clear she's a changed person after the fact, not necessarily for the better. You could argue that the experience was an eye-opener for her, though.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

And this is a personal thing but I've always thought the magical elements of the Tomb Raider games were kinda dumb but they've been in there since literally the first game so eh.

I wouldn't mind if every TR game handled it the way the new one did where the stuff is like, there but you don't really interact with it at all directly til towards the very end.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

I wouldn't mind if every TR game handled it the way the new one did where the stuff is like, there but you don't really interact with it at all directly til towards the very end.

Yeah, but I always thought Tomb Raider handled it pretty well. The first game was actually pretty lovecraftian in its own right, very slowly going from bears and bats to crocodiles and gorillas to like harpies and anubis guys to demons and ending with a giant fleshless torso monster.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
If there weren't any magical elements in Tomb Raider it would be boring as hell.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Neo Rasa posted:

Much like Indiana Jones and Uncharted. I hope there is significantly less human combat overall. Or combat period. I enjoyed the shooty bits a lot but it seems like with Tomb Raider of all things you can come up with ways of keeping a game interesting without waves of dudes to kill all the time.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I guess the supernatural thing to me is weird because growing up I never actually beat any of the Tomb Raider games. Then later I played some of the post-Angel of Darkness games and actually did beat them and I was like wait what is this magic nonsense only to go back to the original and see that it ends with you fighting a lava missile spewing demon. :v:

And normally I'd say yes to less combat but all of the encounters in this latest Tomb Raider were so much goddamn fun I wanted more of it. The combat was seriously great. What I want from the new one is:

1) more hunting
2) harder combat
3) even more wide areas to explore
4) longer, more plentiful dungeons

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Am I the only one who thinks calling the sequel "Rise of the Tomb Raider" is seriously dumb after already having a game simply called "Tomb Raider?" Like, if the second game is the "Rise" of the tomb raider than what was the tomb raider doing in "Tomb Raider?" Besides not raiding many tombs that is.

Edit: :goonsay:

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Yeah, it might be tough to make "compelling" since Lara is so capable in the new combat engine, but going back to the days of less humans and more wolf packs/bears/crocs/pumas/gorillas would be cool with me. Hard to reconcile that with her being a master archer though, unless you make the animals crazy fast and scary like when bears get the jump on you in Red Dead.

The combat scenarios would be differentiated from Uncharted for me better if you weren't against beings shooting at you while you hide behind a wall though, but I guess that fits the older flippy autoaim shooting of the old TR games better.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Electromax posted:

Yeah, it might be tough to make "compelling" since Lara is so capable in the new combat engine, but going back to the days of less humans and more wolf packs/bears/crocs/pumas/gorillas would be cool with me. Hard to reconcile that with her being a master archer though, unless you make the animals crazy fast and scary like when bears get the jump on you in Red Dead.

The combat scenarios would be differentiated from Uncharted for me better if you weren't against beings shooting at you while you hide behind a wall though, but I guess that fits the older flippy autoaim shooting of the old TR games better.

I will probably be hated and cursed for saying this, but I for one would like more stealth sequences where you have to take dudes out quietly with your bow. There's one spot near the end of the reboot that's drat near impossible to do guns blazing, and I'd like to see more of those situations. Sure, technically you can just jump out with your machine gun and mow dudes down, but it's far more satisfying and "realistic" to take them out one by one.

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

DrNutt posted:

I will probably be hated and cursed for saying this, but I for one would like more stealth sequences where you have to take dudes out quietly with your bow. There's one spot near the end of the reboot that's drat near impossible to do guns blazing, and I'd like to see more of those situations. Sure, technically you can just jump out with your machine gun and mow dudes down, but it's far more satisfying and "realistic" to take them out one by one.

I agree wholeheartedly. Creeping around bowing people from the shadows was my favorite part of that game, and because there's no actual penalty for getting spotted (other than having to fight a bunch of dudes), it's really easy/fun to just roll with it and whip out the machine gun if you screw up.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

DrNutt posted:

I would also like that. One of my favourite levels in the reboot was one where I snuck around in a dark forest while picking off a bunch of goons one by one. The game had some pretty servicable stealth mechanics really.

As for the namee of the sequel it's not great, but I guess what they want to get across is that it's about how Lara finds her tomb raiding Calling while the first game was merley about her finding out that she had what it takes to be a survivor and killer if she was fforced to. If the game delivers I'll forgive a middling title.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I think stealth sections done well, i.e. not an obvious "if you kill them in this order by going here then here then here as we've arranged, it's easy" are definitely more memorable/compelling than 5 guys dropping into an area from a window and shooting at you.

The feeling of "if I gently caress this up I'll get killed very quickly" is a nice tension, but can easily be annoying if you're too easily spotted/enemies are too easily alerted/the checkpoints are poor, but they could pull it off.

Ideally for me mix the things together - a bear attacks, you run into a nearby tree, use some means to drive the bear down to the enemy humans around their campfire, watch some maulings, sneak by the camp unmolested. Then you raid some tombs.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Kibayasu posted:

Am I the only one who thinks calling the sequel "Rise of the Tomb Raider" is seriously dumb after already having a game simply called "Tomb Raider?" Like, if the second game is the "Rise" of the tomb raider than what was the tomb raider doing in "Tomb Raider?" Besides not raiding many tombs that is.

Edit: :goonsay:

Rise of the Tomb Raider is the worst title they could have picked. It's shockingly stupid and worse than all of the other Rise of Something titles just for how loving forced it feels.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Electromax posted:

Ideally for me mix the things together - a bear attacks, you run into a nearby tree, use some means to drive the bear down to the enemy humans around their campfire, watch some maulings, sneak by the camp unmolested. Then you raid some tombs.

Hunt and harvest animals to create bait for larger predators. Throw bait around bandit camps, then watch what happens :munch:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Capn Beeb posted:

Hunt and harvest animals to create bait for larger predators. Throw bait around bandit camps, then watch what happens :munch:

If you can clear out enemy encampments using tigers and bears a la Far Cry 3 it will own.

And I wish they went with pulpy titles the way the other Lara Croft games are doing. Tomb Raider II: Temple of the Last Crusade

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I won't mind the title if the game is actually about Lara becoming "The Tomb Raider". The first reboot is called tomb raider because that's what it's a reboot of, and it is about Lara's origin. The game ends with Lara escaping the island, but it's not necessarily the most obvious next step for her to just start raiding tombs all around the world for magical items and treasure.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

This is going to be a soulless cash in and you can quote me on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Renoistic posted:

In which way was the ending "triumphant"? The ending and final journal entry might not say "she's broken" but it's very clear she's a changed person after the fact, not necessarily for the better. You could argue that the experience was an eye-opener for her, though.
Her reaction to this relatively traumatic experience wasn't "well, I guess I'm going to go back to school and be an investment banker so I never have to see anything remotely related to nature again" it was "time to go raid more tombs!" Maybe not triumphant, but certainly not broken.

• Locked thread