Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Liquid Penguins posted:

Is this really what people want from a tomb raider game?

Yes. Half the fun of Tomb Raider is killing Lara in the most horrible ways. Who didn't take the occasional swan dive off a neck-breakingly high cliff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Are there really cross-bows in this game?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
It's a very fun co-op game, but I remember even when it was new I could never find a match-making partner. Your best bet is to find somebody, get him on your friends list and play together. Voice communication is key in this game, you're going to need to find somebody you can be/are friends with.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
All this talk about Underworld and Legend made me realize that, while I played both to completion, I have no idea which one is which and what differentiates them. They really blend together in my mind. I mean the puzzling and platforming was fun, but there's really nothing that stands out in my memories from either of them. Except that awful level in Peru full of fighting soldiers, that sucked. I hope this game at least does gunplay well, since it seems to be a big focus.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

bbcisdabomb posted:

Dear AMD,l: when you send out codes for a game before a game releases, can you make sure they are preorder keys? Not being able to preload a 9GB game is extremely annoying.
Time to go find a torrent!
It will preload, mine is. It sucks that it's not a preorder key, because the other game in that bundle (Bioshock Infinite) has a free copy of Xcom as the preorder bonus!

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

DrNutt posted:

I think we're likely to see this slowly become par for the course for all other media as time goes on, rather than see game criticism get better. I may just be a cynic, but I don't think society is actually going to improve in the realm of arts criticism at this point.

I think part of the problem is that game reviews are not criticism at all. They're basically a consumer report. This is true for review of new releases of movies as well (and probably lots of other kinds of media.) Extra Credits has a pretty interesting presentation on this: http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/game-reviews

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Ihmemies posted:

When will AMD ship the Never Settle codes for this? The release date of the game is already tomorrow and still nothing! I'd actually like to preload the game since my DSL connection isn't the fastest around. :(

That pretty much means they don't have the codes yet, but sure they like to leave things for the last moment.

Uh well I got mine about 3 days ago so maybe check your spam box? I have the "Never Settle RELOADED" code, but I shouldn't think that would make any difference.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

What's wrong with your faaaaaaace

(this game is awesome)

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
It's strange to hear you having those problems, I've got a previous gen card (560Ti) and the game runs smooth all the time. Granted I don't have an FPS counter in the corner to verify, but I haven't noticed any slowdown. These are my graphical options, just for reference:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

The Entire Universe posted:

You know it's a Square game when all the characters look like they're a res dump from Final Fantasy.

Then again, I'm only like 20 mins in (just spent my first skill point) and this could change.

I think SE is only the publisher, this game is made by Crystal Dynamics.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Dogen posted:

They were all "hey we don't have to shoot each other!" And I was all "hmm maybe, wait this isn't an RPG" *blamblamblam*

I ASSUME it's not an option to agree to disagree and go your separate ways there, but I did pause for a second.

There's also a part much earlier on where you pass an trapped guard begging for death, and if you ignore him he yells to his buddies ahead to warn them. A nice bit of "moral choice" without some arbitrary binary system attached to it.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Payndz posted:

I once killed all the enemies in the forest after the helicopter crash, but their torches stayed floating in mid-air (complete with glaring beams), and another time Lara herself just vanished, leaving her radio hovering.

The floating flashlight thing happened to me too, on the PC. It was really bizarre.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
The previous games in the series are completely different from this one. You spend most of your time in giant uninhabited puzzle rooms, and the infrequent combat basically involves locking onto a critter and doing flip jumps around it while you fill it full of lead.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Sakurazuka posted:

The three previous current gen Tomb Raider games (Legend, Anniversary and Underworld) have a lot more climbing vines and jumping puzzles than this one does, I've no idea how good the PC ports were though.

They're really good, performance wise. I would recommend playing them with a controller though, because they're obviously designed to be played that way.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I don't know what's funnier: that animals eat so much metal junk on the island that their innards are full of screws and nuts, or that Lara's guns are a morbid mixture of rabbit guts and steel.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
The combat is easy, true. Even on the hard difficulty. It's mechanically sound though, and enjoyable. The level design is also really cool, especially the whaler suspended on wires at the end of the gondola, and the beach full of shipwrecks and WWII gun emplacements. Really I think this is a fantastic game that's not too taxing, it's good for just blowing off some steam and enjoying the story.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

RatHat posted:

What's this about there originally being actual monsters in the game? There's supposedly concept art of it but I can't find anything about it.

What, you don't consider the Oni monsters? Immortal/zombie warriors are squarely within that category, in my opinion.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

The Lone Badger posted:

Does anyone else keep wanting to scream "Use a gun you idiot!" during cutscenes? NewLara seriously needs to get over her bow obsession.
Maybe when they planned those it was going to be a bow only game? The combat certainly has a different flavor to it if you never use the other guns.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Dogen posted:

There's a new nvidia beta driver out specifically for Tomb Raider, although it doesn't seem all that much better for me (it was fine before really, except TressFX is a ridiculous hog).

edit: after playing for a while and then running the benchmark thing again later there is in fact a pretty significant improvement, it's just tressfx still sucks

Things like TressFX and fluid simulations is why I always have a hearty laugh to myself whenever somebody posts that old chestnut, "we have photorealstic graphics already! Where can they possibly go from here?"

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Drakes posted:

Eh? We're kind of hitting diminishing returns at this point. Well more subtle details can still be added and all, they're probably things that you won't take note unless you settled down for a sec to examine it. It really depends how much time/effort is needed for that extra polish there.

If anything else I think they're going to ramp up the scale on things in the future. Larger worlds and more NPCs all over, that sorta thing.

There's so much room for advancement besides polygon count and texture size. Physics, simulations, having characters actually interacting with the world without clipping through geometry and bugging out. 3D tech has been very focused on making pretty corridors or limited areas to explore, we're not even scratching the surface of real time simulation.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

4 Day Weekend posted:

Why would you upload this?

They did this in the Gametrailers review too. Beats the hell out of me what anybody gets from it.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

User0015 posted:

I liked the fact Lara references her wound from the beginning of the game as the story progresses. She's often holding it when there's a traumatic scenes, and it's nice they remind you that she's still hurt. It's easy to give your characters horrible wounds, only to forget about them as soon as it's inconvenient to remember your characters are hurt. It's lazy, and I'm glad they didn't take that route.

It is a nice touch, except that seconds after having her abdomen horribly pierced she's running and climbing just fine. It's a little dissonant.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, the assault rifle especially is really powerful. The grenade launcher can completely stunlock and kill the big Russian on the boat in 3-4 grenades. I don't know if he is supposed to be difficult otherwise, but the dramatic music swell when he died seemed to indicate so. It was so disappointing that I purposely made myself use only the bow (no grenade darts either) when I fought the Stalker.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

DrNutt posted:

If only they had completely ripped off Rocksteady for this aspect of the game design.

Hey, Arkham City had a cool NG+, but doing a replay with remixed/harder enemies is hardly original to Rocksteady. DMC did this way back in 2001 and lots of other games have as well.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I like how by the end of the game (extremely minor spoiler) one of Lara's pant legs start ripping off right where her tiny pre-reboot short shorts cut off. I thought they might go all the way with that one.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Tornhelm posted:

Those numbers for Tomb Raider are only the physical copies sold. It doesn't include the version sold be Steam/Amazon/etc for some stupid reason.

That's because those numbers aren't reported. Apparently it's not in the interest of digital distributors to report sales figures and share the information.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Winks posted:

Square still gets money per copy sold through digital retailers. Even if they've signed an agreement not to disclose hard figures (which seems silly to me because we get bites of data about sales on stream pretty often from random publishers) they know how it is affecting the bottom line and they can at least give some general guidance. Ignoring them all together to help build their thin scape goat is stupid.

E: better word choice

Well clearly S-E knows how many copies of the game they've sold, in total. I was just responding to the comment about published sales figures.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
The DLC is planned ahead way before the release, which means somebody at SE earnestly believe that people would forget about the single player quickly and still play the tacked on stupid multiplayer. Which means that SE has some very ignorant people at very powerful positions in the corporate hierarchy.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Hakkesshu posted:

TressFX doesn't look good at all, though. I mean it looks fine in still images, but in actual motion it's like Lara's got a bunch of spaghetti hanging from her head.

Hah, well that's the general idea with hair. Now we just need the computing power to make the noodles smaller and more numerous.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
No the combat doesn't ever really get much harder. As your guns get progressively better it actually gets easier.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, it bugged me how the tombs have been relegated to short physics based puzzles. It's like they took a TPS and shoe-horned in an indie game. I want less guys to shoot and more boxes to push dammit.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Palpek posted:

And I don't. This game was better than Anniversary/Legend/Underworld trilogy. I hope the sequel is in the same vein.

It was, but that doesn't mean it couldn't use some more fleshed out tombs and puzzle rooms. There's plenty of pure shooty TPS games if that's your thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
If there weren't any magical elements in Tomb Raider it would be boring as hell.

• Locked thread