Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

quantum_squirrel posted:

The Unknown Armies Bundle of Holding just added One Shoots to the basic bundle, i.e. pay what you want and get the UA core book and One Shoots, a book of one shot adventures.

One Shots is amazing. It contains Jailbreak, which is one of my favorite published adventures ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Jailbreak is incredible and a much better intro to the game than the sample adventure in the core book, especially if you can find enough players. Includes a great example of the sometimes vague Self check.

I'm also a big fan of Strange Days, if only for how it perfectly demonstrates the approach to the supernatural in Unknown Armies as opposed to say, World of Darkness. Also the idea that if an Epideromancer survives the initial hump of constantly being severely injured with no medical attention and starts spending significant and major charges on strengthening their body, they come out practically unstoppable.

Kellsterik fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 4, 2013

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

And then there's Fly to Heaven...

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I always liked that there's a young kid in that scenario who gets a reroll if he would be harmed by any attack, because "God loves children."

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
These bundles, are they .pdfs or are they actual books?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Swags posted:

These bundles, are they .pdfs or are they actual books?

They are .pdfs.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

2 Hours left to go. They've added Godwalker, a novel, to the Bundle which you get at any price.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
The Bundle of Unknown Armies got extended in duration by a day or so. If you missed out you still have a chance!

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

In about twenty minutes, the Stars Without Number bundle goes live. OD&D-style star-faring RPG, along with a book that shows you how to do military/naval-style campaign. If you pay more than average you get a supplement about extra equipment and Other Dust, a post-apocalyptic style RPG which stand-alone but compatible, that includes psychic mutants and stuff.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

LashLightning posted:

In about twenty minutes, the Stars Without Number bundle goes live. OD&D-style star-faring RPG, along with a book that shows you how to do military/naval-style campaign. If you pay more than average you get a supplement about extra equipment and Other Dust, a post-apocalyptic style RPG which stand-alone but compatible, that includes psychic mutants and stuff.

When its up, would you mind linking it? A couple of the past bundles had people talking about it without linking, which is cool to see whats in it, but not as helpful for the lazy (me)

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Lord Frisk posted:

When its up, would you mind linking it? A couple of the past bundles had people talking about it without linking, which is cool to see whats in it, but not as helpful for the lazy (me)
Here ya go.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The next Bundle of Holding won't be up for about 10 minutes or so (5pm EST), but they announced the contents already:

quote:

We're building up to Halloween (October 31) with a sequence of three one-week offers of terrific horror roleplaying games of every stripe. The first of the three, the new Bundle of Nerves that launches in a few minutes, features indie-style games -- they take the approach of "writing scary things on index cards" -- that explore chills and thrills from Kafkaesque paranoia to outright splatterfests. If anything scares you (other than programmers in transit from Houston), you'll find it in this collection.

Every purchase of the Bundle of Nerves includes this core collection of indie tabletop RPGs as DRM-free .PDF ebooks:
• Don't Rest Your Head (Evil Hat)
• Dread (Impossible Dream)
• Kingdom of Nothing (Galileo Games)
• Murderous Ghosts (Lumpley Games)
Customers who pay higher than the average price (starting at US$8.95) get these bonus titles at launch:
• The Demolished Ones (Rite Publishing)
• Don't Lose Your Mind (Evil Hat)
• Spookybeans (Chapter 13 Press)
If you paid full price for all these .PDFs, you'd spend nearly US$67. But we let you set your own price for the entire collection. Ten percent of your payment is split between our contributors' two chosen charities, The Innocence Project and Shanti Bhavan Children's Project.

Usually we like to play it coy about whether we'll add titles to the bundle after launch -- you know, the "hint, hint" thing -- but this time we're saying it straight out: We ARE adding titles to the Bundle of Nerves after launch. A LOT of titles. And you will be impressed. If you buy now, you'll get them all automatically on your Wizard's Cabinet download page.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

EM, you got any experience with these? I want a copy of Don't Rest Your Head, but I am completely hooked by "Spookybeans". What the hell is Spookybeans?

quantum_squirrel
Aug 9, 2006
Regarding the new Bundle of Holding which lasts till this Saturday :
Don't Rest Your Head has a write-up in the FATAL & Friends thread and Dread, the game with one of the best, most genre fitting resolution mechanic: A Jenga tower.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Lord Frisk posted:

got any experience with these?

Dread is amazing. My roommate ran a game for us last halloween, and another friend is doing one this year. It sounds hokey, but the Jenga tower really does make things tense, as you can get away with crazy multi-pull-worthy moves early in the game, but you're scared to do something as dangerous as running from one room to another later on.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lord Frisk posted:

EM, you got any experience with these? I want a copy of Don't Rest Your Head, but I am completely hooked by "Spookybeans". What the hell is Spookybeans?

Not personally; my group isn't big on horror games. I have read DLYM, and it's basically Ben "Candlewick Manor/Kerberos Club" Baugh writing an alphabet of insanity-based superpowers.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
If Murderous Ghosts is the same thing that I I got a couple of years back, it's an odd little dueling-playbooks thing between a GM and a single player, with the player trapped in the sub-basements of some horrible warehouse and trying desperately to escape. It says that it's powered by the Apocalypse World engine, but instead of dice there's an accumulation of playing cards reminiscent of blackjack. It's a neat little thing, definitely worth snagging as part of a bundle, at least.

Edit: Aha, that'd do it. Neat!

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 15, 2013

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Murderous Ghosts is like the alpha prototype for Apocalypse World.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It's Zombie Week at DTRPG, and they're offering all Hunter Book products at 25% off. Outbreak: Undead is their main offering, a zombie RPG that I've had absolutely zero experience with. They call it realistic, but who knows? :zombie:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I've not had a chance to play it, but I've got Outbreak Undead. The main draw is that the creators intend you to actually stat up yourself as a character so you can see how you and your friends would fare in a zombie outbreak.

Covok
May 27, 2013

jivjov posted:

I've not had a chance to play it, but I've got Outbreak Undead. The main draw is that the creators intend you to actually stat up yourself as a character so you can see how you and your friends would fare in a zombie outbreak.

My question with that is how that's different from other zombie games? I should point out that I have never played or read a zombie trpg.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Covok posted:

My question with that is how that's different from other zombie games? I should point out that I have never played or read a zombie trpg.

Well, I would assume in other games you're free to stat up a party full of military badasses or something.

Covok
May 27, 2013

jivjov posted:

Well, I would assume in other games you're free to stat up a party full of military badasses or something.

Good point. 'Suppose the PCs must be pretty weak then. Hope it isn't one of those games where the PCs fail at everything because realism.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
What if you are a military badass? I once had a Cyberpunk 2020 game run by a Navy SEAL, after all.

What then?

What then?!

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Alien Rope Burn posted:

What if you are a military badass? I once had a Cyberpunk 2020 game run by a Navy SEAL, after all.

What then?

What then?!

Then I guess your group wins Outbreak Undead.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Alien Rope Burn posted:

What then?

What then?!

Probably the only game where you real life job can make you OP.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

That would have been a fun game to run while I was on the 31st MEU. :p

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
The Bundle of Nerves has added a new never-before-seen skin for Murderous Ghosts (a haunted mental hospital) and Don't Read This Book, an anthology of Don't Rest Your Head short fiction.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Nice deal Here. So if you didn't know, Colorado got hit by a huge amount of rain after a really bad draught about a month ago, and it really devastated some parts of the state. So this bundle was set up so nerds can get things while simultaneously donating to the relief efforts.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
The Nightmare Alley Bundle of Holding (https://www.bundleofholding.com) is up. Not sure what to make of it as I've never heard of any of the following games:
- Exquisite Replicas
- In Dark Alleys
- Outlive Outdead
- Rotworld
- Cryptworld (BTA)
- Unhallowed Metropolis (BTA)

That's the lot, so far.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I think one of the writers for Unhallowed Metropolis has posted around here, but I can't remember his name. A couple of the games seem to be running under a system that time forgot (Pacesetter, FATAL and Friends'd here).

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
Rotworld, from what I heard, is a zombie survival game. It's done by Goblinoid Games, which does a lot of OSR type stuff since they did Labyrinth Lord. Apparently it uses the same system that Chill (a system I've heard of but never seen) uses. Cryptworld is the successor to Chill by them, since they apparently have the rights for the Pacesetter system - they did a small but successful Kickstarter for a new game using the system: Majus (magic/noir mash-up).

I haven't seen In Dark Alleys but I have a copy of Seeker, which is by the same people. I haven't looked at it recently but the system wasn't terribly exciting to me. What was more interesting was the ideas around it. They also did another game with the same system, called Voodoo Blues, which sounded interesting. They seem to do a lot of stuff in the dark urban fantasy vein (Conceptually, it feels like there is some WoD influence in at least some of what I've seen by them).

The other stuff I haven't heard much about. I think Unhallowed Metroplis is zombie survival in a steampunk/Gothic Victorian type setting, but I don't know much more.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
PurpleXVI did In Dark Alleys on FATAL and Friends. It was more on the FATAL side of things, I think.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
The Nightmare Alley Bundle of Holding now includes Abandon All Hope (no idea), The Book of Unremitting Horror (a Gumshoe/D20 supplement of horror monsters that I've heard really good things about), and Pandemonio (a revised and expanded mashup of Dread: The First Book of Pandemonium and Spite: The Second Book of Pandemonium - I had no idea this existed but I've heard good things about its antecedents.).

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
Oh, wow, actually Abandon All Hope is pretty great. It's a Pitch Black-a-like sci-fi horror game where everyone is prisoners on board a giant prison "deep space" ship that goes into a nightmarish hell dimension. The currency is cigarettes. Definitely worth a look.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
I believe this is the first public release of Pandemonio, since I heard some folks not too long ago complaining that Dread and Spite had been taken down, and the author said he was revamping them before re-releasing. There's a precedent for never-before-released material now, since the Stars Without Number bundle included the first public release of a supplement for that game.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

JDCorley posted:

Oh, wow, actually Abandon All Hope is pretty great. It's a Pitch Black-a-like sci-fi horror game where everyone is prisoners on board a giant prison "deep space" ship that goes into a nightmarish hell dimension. The currency is cigarettes. Definitely worth a look.

The tradeoff for this is that, contrary to what the cover would suggest, the art inside looks like someone told an eight-year-old to draw 'a spooky monster' and called it a day.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Gasperkun posted:

I believe this is the first public release of Pandemonio, since I heard some folks not too long ago complaining that Dread and Spite had been taken down, and the author said he was revamping them before re-releasing. There's a precedent for never-before-released material now, since the Stars Without Number bundle included the first public release of a supplement for that game.

Also the previous bundle included a never before released reskin of Murderous Ghosts.

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf

Solomonic posted:

The tradeoff for this is that, contrary to what the cover would suggest, the art inside looks like someone told an eight-year-old to draw 'a spooky monster' and called it a day.

Who looks at game art anyway? Pfff. (yeah true)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012

malkav11 posted:

Also the previous bundle included a never before released reskin of Murderous Ghosts.

Wasn't aware that one was also new. Well, there you go. Looks like as time goes on we might get to see more never seen before stuff in the bundles.

Also, next week, if my email was right, we are going to get a Call of Cthulhu bundle. I believe the current one ends on Saturday.