Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Neverwinter Nights 2 is a basically designed to be "Dungeons and Dragons RPG - The Game", basically every plot point and character is the most classic, generic, overused, cliche or in-jokey thing it could possibly be. The ending of the game being rocks falling and everyone dying is the most authentic ending they could have done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Also having the original campaign be kinda trash was 100% in the spirit of the first NWN so there's that too.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

weird to me we’re talking rpg endings and nobody brings up kotor 2

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

BBJoey posted:

Because it always crashed forever.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

BBJoey posted:

Wait, they had an ending? I thought they ran out of funding and didn't bother putting one in.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
So I tried the stupid fight again and...

Well, Matkina got sorrow fired from halfway across the map. I guess she's dead for good now?

I thought the sorrow's insta-kill was a melee attack. AH WELL. I don't really feel like doing that lovely Crisis over again so guess what, my second favorite character gets to stay dead and probably not ever be mentioned by anyone ever again lmao.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

GlyphGryph posted:

So I tried the stupid fight again and...

Well, Matkina got sorrow fired from halfway across the map. I guess she's dead for good now?

I thought the sorrow's insta-kill was a melee attack. AH WELL. I don't really feel like doing that lovely Crisis over again so guess what, my second favorite character gets to stay dead and probably not ever be mentioned by anyone ever again lmao.
Are you talking about the final fight or the first one where you first encounter The Sorrow? If its the former it really shouldn't have targeted you if you had your guys run up to the top left of the arena like I mentioned, it should be too busy fighting everyone else to notice you.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Accordion Man posted:

Are you talking about the final fight or the first one where you first encounter The Sorrow? If its the former it really shouldn't have targeted you if you had your guys run up to the top left of the arena like I mentioned, it should be too busy fighting everyone else to notice you.

It moved past several other people and then ganked her from a lot further away than I thought would be an issue.I guess I should have kept them close to the top of the stairs, didn't realize my dudes would be priority targets considering the other folk between us. Ah well.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
the optimal way to do that crisis is to ignore everyone and just bee-line up, to the left and down, then have your cast-off use tidal surge to activate the ferretory. the text says when you do that all of the castoffs get sucked out of miel avast. you might have to activate two of those beacons to clear the sorrow fire but no more.

unfortunately, the game doesn't recognise it even if you save everyone. i'm disappointed they overlooked that, especially given how reactive the game is to what choices you've made.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
It sounds like he's in the castoff fight, not the Miel Avest escape. In which case, it's really surprising that the Sorrow killed Matkina. That might actually take her out of the game, yeah, but I had no idea the Sorrow could kill anyone in that fight. Maybe that's because I took my resonant Last Castoff up and tanked her.

Jewel Repetition fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Oct 25, 2017

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Holy poo poo I just realized Seven Nation Army is sung by Erritis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYFJjwXtsU4

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Jeb! Repetition posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vjPGV7uWDE

Here it is, if anyone doesn't believe me.

And if you're wondering, this ending isn't just the result of loving up somehow. It's the best possible outcome.
Sorry the best possible outcome is the evil ending. It's insane and sadistic. Mask of the Betrayer then took that and said "Well we need to take that to the next level'

I almost always only take the evil path once to see the full story but every time I replayed NWN2 I was always tempted by the far superior endings.

Edit: Also if I recall correctly the original endings were just ink drawings the colour was added in a patch.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
This game is $12.50 in xbox right now for the extremely tiny minority of people reading this thread with an xbox who don’t already own this game. Which was me up until an hour ago.

Now I am playing ‘character creation, tides of choice paralysis’.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

doingitwrong posted:

This game is $12.50 in xbox right now for the extremely tiny minority of people reading this thread with an xbox who don’t already own this game. Which was me up until an hour ago.

Now I am playing ‘character creation, tides of choice paralysis’.

Hint: be a nano with Scan Thoughts.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I'm going to Wichita
Far from this opera for evermore
I'm gonna work the straw
Make the sweat drip out of every pore
And I'm bleeding, and I'm bleeding, and I'm bleeding
Right before the lord
All the words are gonna bleed from me
And I will sing no more
And the stains coming from my blood
Tell me go back home

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
I'm ultimately most thankful to nwn2 for not being so horrible that it strangled obsidian entertainment in the cradle.

you could maybe say the same for this game which I find pretty amateur hour tbh but still more interesting than 90% of the offerings in AAA space. hopefully inxile will find its legs on an original property.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Hint: be a nano with Scan Thoughts.

Nah, screw that, Jack with maxed Perception.

Beat the game. Actual ending was okay. So happy to have Rhin back and to see Erritis get his well deserved life returned to him. Also I ended up reloading and not killing Matkina, so I gave everything to her in the end because why the gently caress not, you know? I was hoping her and Erritis would hit it off, especially since they were there together after the scene, but... nope. Darn. Actually it looks like none of the characters interact with each other at all after the ending - so damned weird.

I found it hilarious that you could bypass all of the last four conflicts by simply killing yourself, hahah, and there's absolutely no downside. Also it gives you a totally useless healing item!

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 26, 2017

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

Nah, screw that, Jack with maxed Perception.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

pick anamnesis for your starting skill. its the most useful skill in the early game where skills actually matter

you can go with any class but make sure intelligence is your main stat

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

cuntman.net posted:

pick anamnesis for your starting skill. its the most useful skill in the early game where skills actually matter

you can go with any class but make sure intelligence is your main stat

I don't think anamnesis is an option for your starting exploration skills, but yeah, raise it as soon as possible.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

you can choose a description that has it

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Rhin returning to help you out in the last part was probably the best moment of the whole game for me. In general, I thought the characters I ran with (Erritis, Rhin, Matkina) were all fairly well done. I intended to go back for a second playthrough with the others when the inevitable DLC expansion was released. I guess it seemed inevitable at the time, now, who knows. The second playthough was also supposed to incorporate the mind control power, which I didn't pick on the first because it seemed to spoil a lot of plot.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

mitochondritom posted:

Rhin returning to help you out in the last part was probably the best moment of the whole game for me. In general, I thought the characters I ran with (Erritis, Rhin, Matkina) were all fairly well done. I intended to go back for a second playthrough with the others when the inevitable DLC expansion was released. I guess it seemed inevitable at the time, now, who knows. The second playthough was also supposed to incorporate the mind control power, which I didn't pick on the first because it seemed to spoil a lot of plot.

It doesn't. The thoughts are written to give you hints rather than spell things out, and a lot of characters, especially powerful ones, have ways to block it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Mask of the Betrayer tried its best to redeem it and was a good game in its own right. Very Torment-y, incidentally. Like if Tides hadn't been made, Mask would have been the closest thing we ever got to a sequel.

Mask's ending was worse than NWN2's, fite me irl.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Megazver posted:

what the gently caress

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Megazver posted:

lol

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Megazver posted:

'Know this, spirit-eater. I will not stand in your way now, but all must come before me in the end. Pride is not a shield from m-'

*rocks fall, crushing Kelemvor*

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

They should have gone all-out with a 15-minute ending sequence that describes what happens to each person in detail (=fell under a rock).

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

BBJoey posted:

what the gently caress

"Rocks fall everyone dies" is pretty bad, but at least NWN2 didn't go "hey that boss you're trying to defeat you can't lol gently caress you game over".

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Death is inevitable. The prize is what you win from it, not a victory over it.

Octo1
May 7, 2009
lol if you didn't eat everything in MoB and become an insatiable horror.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
One Of Many's storyline ending alone carries better than all of NWN2s

grobbo
May 29, 2014
I suspect I'm taking the bait here, but I do need to emphasise for the record that no matter how frustrating anyone may find it as an anticlimax,

'I managed to achieve individual redemption for myself and the man who stood against his own beliefs for the sake of love, but I was forced to accept the limitations to my power as well, since my quixotic crusade against divine order was only permitted by the gods themselves to go so far' is not, in fact, worse writing than

'I managed to convince some of my motley band of friends *not* to side with the world-destroying villain out of petty personal spite, after which my heroic victory was immediately undercut by an amusing accidental death.'

And don't get me started on 'I willingly sacrificed my individuality for the sake of becoming an all-consuming hunger that threatens all of creation'.

Man, Neverwinter Nights 2: Torment 2 was great.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Rare image of The Specter

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Is there a way to get over there?

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

That drove me mad too, never looked it up though.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

I was like yeaaah all I need is to use my teleport ability and... :ohdear: Well there's one for Matkina but it's in combat.
Btw I have no idea who that 2nd from left dude is on the screenshot so I suppose I missed something but my party is set for rest of the game (bit less than mid-way now maybe?) with Castoff (Nano/int) - Oom- Erritis- Matkina

Bolivar fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Nov 4, 2017

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Is there a way to get over there?

no. i found it strange, too.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
If possible, without spoilers because this is my first playthrough: Are there other crises as irritating as the Sticha Lair?

Turn based stealth where they have 6 moves to my 2 can gently caress right off. This is like my fifth try at the crisis. The first two were just me mis-understanding the mechanics and getting spotted because I didn't understand how things would work and then dying. On the third try I somehow got myself into an unwinnable state because even though I passed a check to persuade one of the nests to give up the eggs, that didn't result in me getting the eggs and so by the time I'd noticed that and worked my way back it was telling me to retry with effort points I no longer had. On the fourth try, the "end turn" button for one of the characters just stopped working entirely and so the game was as good as locked up and since you can't save during a crisis I'm starting over again. And every time the experience is mostly just waiting for them to NOT MOVE AT ALL because they are captivated.

If there's going to be more like this, I'm done with the game. I had a fun time up until now with difficult and interesting choices and conversations but this is unbelievably tedious gameplay marred by bad UI. Which makes it true to Planescape, I know.

doingitwrong fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

lol its not even close to being the worst one

theres a few ways to skip it though and i think if you get killed and come back you'll find that they took their eggs and left

• Locked thread