Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN
Welp, if they're gearing up the PR train it looks like inexile is planning on launching the kickstarter before they finish Wasteland. If things go well, it'll fail and they'll hold off til they have a released product to brag about. If things go badly (which is more likely), it'll barely scrape by on the kickstarter. That'll leave them with a barebones budget to work with, and it'll end up a shadow of PS:T.

Drifter posted:

I wish them well with it.

I have to say, though, that until I can determine the quality of their Wasteland 2 project (like, me actually playing and then enjoying it) I won't be giving them more money for their next game, be it pre-order or "pledge" donation or whatever.

inExile basically got a pre-order free pass from me for W2, for various reasons, but they haven't actually done anything noteworthy to earn another.

This is exactly what's going to screw them over if they decide to launch this early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

Quarex posted:

2) Even I do not want this to be Kickstartered soon, despite being 100% confident that InXile is going to make(/is already making) an amazing game in Wasteland 2. Really I think Wasteland 2 needs to be in beta/have some big-name previews to allay all of the skeptics' fears before they do this.

3) But I also think they will do well with the Kickstarter even despite #2, so.

Totally agree with your #2, but #3 is really unlikely. I really don't want them to go into this expecting to reprise the WL2 kickstarter. People are going to be a lot more guarded with their wallets to a company returning to kickstarter without releasing anything yet but a video.

To be honest, I think that if they got the budget they want this could be a great game. The problem is that if they kickstart now, they may end up with barely enough to make anything, let alone the game they want.

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

JebanyPedal posted:

Ugh, yet another attempt to show love for "oldschool cRPG fans" that just ends up repeating the same mistakes that were made 20 years ago. The Wasteland 2 video looked abjectly awful, with its tedious, shallow, and stagnant combat.
I played the entire Ultima series, I played the entire Fallout series, I played the majority of the AD&D games and went through most of the M&M and Wizardry series, I used to breathe cRPGs daily. Now I don't give a poo poo, I don't want to play them anymore because the style of play is stagnant, repetitive, tedious, shallow, irritating, and to put it simply, just mechanically stupid.

They were enjoyable in a time when nearly everything on the PC was an ambitious, half-way broken game, but now it's just really uninteresting to play a game created by a team that supposedly were designing it for people "JUST LIKE YOU," without realizing that you probably played those games to death back in the day and playing another one is just going to be like eating the old porridge from last week that tasted good back when it was warm and fresh, but now is just a coagulated slop.

Guess what? Your tastes in games has changed. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. But not everyone has the same taste. I watched that preview of WL2 and absolutely wanted to play that game. It fits my tastes perfectly gameplay-wise. Just because you like different types of games now doesn't mean you should assume everyone else is the same.

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

Brother None posted:

Honestly, we'd like to delay the Kickstarter to after Wasteland 2 is out and settled and we know what kind of reception it's got, we'd like to do that, but from our perspective it's not all that feasible. We've got writers, Kevin Saunders, concept artists, people working at inXile know who don't work on Wasteland 2 (at least, not much) and whose work can't be paid out of WL2's budget because all of WL2's budget goes to WL2 (naturally). We're not big enough to self-fund the pre-production of this game, but we don't want to fire all these people and then just hope they're still there when we roll into the new production. Not to mention we'd then create another pre-production period after Wasteland 2 where our programmers would have nothing to do. Starting pre-production now and rolling over when WL2 is out, patched and modkitted up creates the most natural workflow, and will prevent unnecessary delays and firings.

drat, so it's pretty much a done deal that the Kickstarter will be long before WL2's release? I know you guys have more experience with this (I'm nowhere close to launching if I even do), but I think you're gonna get burned by going ahead long before WL2's done. I understand the reasons you posted, it makes perfect sense that you need to keep your folks working. But I really hope you've got plans for what happens if you barely make goal or don't even make it. Maybe I'm just being pessimistic, but I think too many fans already have a nice chunk of change invested into kickstarter projects and will be hesitant about going back in with a company that hasn't even released their already cleared kickstarter.

One ray of hops is that even if you barely make the goal, you'll still have the profits from WL2's release (which should be a decent chunk of change). So you won't be completely limited by what you can get from kickstarter.

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

Alkanos posted:

Maybe I'm just being pessimistic, but I think too many fans already have a nice chunk of change invested into kickstarter projects and will be hesitant about going back in with a company that hasn't even released their already cleared kickstarter.

Welp. Since they seem to have made almost 50% of their goal in a few hours, my foot is firmly in my mouth. :v: And a good portion of the country isn't even awake yet I'd bet. By this evening it'll probably have made goal.

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN
I feel like a complete retard. Here I am, going around in this thread and the kickstarter thread being all doom and gloom. I was sure that people would be stingy with their wallets towards a second campaign when inXile hadn't finished the first. I was afraid that they wouldn't end up with enough cash to make a good successor, and I wasn't about to donate to that.

Considering that in the two hours since I last checked they've made $200k, I was way off. So I'm putting my money where my mouth is and throwing in. It's nice to be proven wrong every once and a while!

Fake Edit: In the time it took me to write this post, they made $20k. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

coffeetable posted:

This isn't how stretch goals work. Stretch goals don't provoke individual backers into upping their pledge in order to reach the goal, nor do they convert people who were previously undecided. The purpose of stretch goals is to keep people interested and keep people talking, and that leads in an indirect way to new backers and increased $/backer.

I don't know about other people, but when Avellone was added as a Wasteland 2 stretch goal I upped my pledge. It doesn't magically make people want to spend more money, but people on the edge of upping their pledge can be pushed over by a particularly shiny stretch goal.

Plus it keeps people interested and keeps people talking, and that leads in an indirect way to new backers and increased $/backer. :buddy:

• Locked thread