Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Drifter posted:

If the news was just that "they're developing the game, so be sure to look out for it in 2014 and buy it," then gently caress yeah I'd be super stoked. But now they're allegedly going to be asking for money, again, before the first project that they asked money for is out. And the complexity of this game is, per expectation, much more complex in terms of writing and interactivity and character development than other things they've done.

I think that is completely true for somebody who is creating/designing a game or story environment but not so much for somebody who is primarily an Executive Producer / Business Dev. guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Great Rumbler posted:

I just wanna say that Steve Dengler [@Dracogen] is one classy, awesome fellow and he should probably be allowed to the play the completed game before anybody else.

The amount of money that guy has put into Kickstarters and independent game devs is pretty crazy; he seems to be funding half of what Double Fine has released recently, for example.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Quarex posted:

They said similar things about Wasteland 2. When you read interviews with Brian Fargo, like 25-33% of them still say "so will we see multiplayer or ports to consoles? That would certainly help broaden your audience" and he always says "yeah, I'm not really interested in that, because that's what publishers want, and why games like Wasteland 2 have not been made in a decade."

(To be fair, the Baldur's Gate series somehow managed to have a fairly fun multiplayer mode AND be legendarily great single-player CRPGs; maybe they really are the best games ever)

With isometric RPGs I guess it's more that while multiplayer is something you can effectively build in from the get go and make work it's not really a core gameplay mechanic, thus with a small budget you either have to take resources away from developing the core experience or shoe-horn in a half-assed multiplayer. Both of which are things modern RPGs, and other games types, suffer from even with much larger budgets.

e: I also liked the Bard's Tale remake. It was a solid, fun game.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Doran Blackdawn posted:

So there's what, like seven or eight staff writers on the project now?

Why is this a good thing? I'm worried that this might affect the cohesion of the whole. Too many cooks, etc.

I mean, I'm still stoked for this game and waiting in anticipation, but I liked that Project: Eternity's stretch goals were tangible new additions to the game. More classes, a new dungeon, more content. I don't consider more writers automatically a great thing and it can potentially lead to a lack of unity that Planescape: Torment didn't suffer from at all.

Long as you have one person with a clear creative vision and final veto of everything then I wouldn't think it would too much of an issue, particularly if you split the work so the writers are all working on discrete parts of the game rather than all writing the titular player character by committee.

e: Chris Avellone as well? They seem to be trying to assemble quite the writing team for this game. I may have to up my pledge.

Io_ fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Mar 22, 2013

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

2house2fly posted:

Mass Effect is a space RPG, and it's pretty much the only space RPG, so that's why I play it. I don't mind elves and post apocalyptic wastelands, but they get old after a while, you know?

I recommend Anachronox, although you only get the first part of the trilogy because Ion Storm went bust.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Schurik posted:

Is it just me or did funding really pick up the last few days?

They always do at the end, it also helps that people will have just got paid if they're on a PAYE or equivalent system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Wildtortilla posted:

What pledge level was required for this PDF book?

$125 unless you added it as an extra.

• Locked thread