Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
gently caress me man, I'm not sure if this is pretentious or art. That post is magnificent, I'm still just working through it. That post is both extremely long, but also a journey. I'm tending to the latter though, I'm enjoying what I am going through.

Guys and gals - this is truly not a thread for graphic designers.

Edit: How long did this take you to make?

Another Person fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
This thread feels like education, because poo poo, I am getting schooled by the posts in here. Seriously, this thread is so good. My musical borders have expanded more in the past three or so weeks than they have for half a year. So much more stuff to listen to, so many more perspectives on things I already listen to, some imperialistic expansionism going on in my music library here. I mean, I already listen to loads of different things that people don't expect me to, but for months I had just been puttering around musically, but this thread has really pushed me. If I can say I have learned something then I hope it carries my meaning as intended, that is probably the greatest respect that I think I can give to someone. I'm exploring nooks and crannies I never expected to, finding bits of music that are really touching sometimes, really distant at others.

Thanks oiseaux morts 1994 and the others posters who know their poo poo in this thread, I've enjoyed it so far.

You also reignited my fear of Scientology, so thanks for that too.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I think I have listened to OPN for about half of my waking hours in the past three days. I think he is the most important thing happening musically to me right now - really fallen in with his work. Thanks thread!

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Well, a lot of the minutiae has already been discussed in greater depth and understanding earlier in the thread, the individual themes and concepts that come with this niche of music and so on, but a major reason I am enjoying it is because it is influencing and inspiring to me right now. It is helping me piece my understanding of post modernism together, and solidify my feelings that my outlook on the world is one of post modernism. It, along with other influences - be they musical, literary, fashion or anecdotal life experiences - are helping me understand who I am, and who I have been for a number of years.

I can't pretend I understand and am capable of interpreting it on the same level as oiseaux, part because of a lack of musical knowledge altogether (not too unlike that which Lopatin describes himself as having when he initially started creating music - I understand bits but a lot of it is alien) but also part due to not being deeply enough immersed into experimental, vaporwave, plunderphonics and whatever other applicable labels there are for this niche. I can't make music like this, and don't really have the desire to. However, I can apply what I am learning from my listening to other fields.

Part of the reason I am enjoying it so much is probably because of my current situation as a student (Political Science, if you were wondering), I'm starting to come into understanding concepts I didn't earlier through my learning. Then the stars aligned and I discovered this thread and Lopatin's work around the same time frame, and I can identify the common themes between the work in this thread and the work from my course. It is current to me, somehow. I am really absorbing it in a way I didn't expect to and I am finding ways to use what I have taken in, in story writing, in discussion and in my academic study. There are elements of post modernism all over my degree, so I can't turn a page without running into it. I am finding a lot of my viewpoints and intentional abstract and deconstructive conceptualisations about life fall under it, and Lopatin's work is allowing me to take that outside of just my academic work and further into my life.

My interpretation of his work is that nothing is natural, but rather a construct of some sort based on your experiences, the world around you. His concept behind Replica - looking back onto advertisements from an earlier age without the understanding that we currently have and piecing together something from them - got me onto thinking about divorcing my knowledge and understanding of the world from every day life. Why is someone perceiving that object, or concept, the way they are? It got me thinking about what I considered alien perceptions, and what can even be considered alien. From this, I am coming up with ideas for stories, or sketches.

I was walking down the street one day, exhausted from not having slept the two nights before and having worked multiple shifts in the waking time. My vision was pretty poo poo, and it was dark, but ahead of me I could see some guy walking, wearing a football tee with his favourite players name on. My mind was hosed, so I didn't initially clock onto it being a football tee, and I was puzzled why a guy would be wearing his name on the back of his shirt.

When I realised it was a football tee, I felt like an idiot of course. But this little thing stuck in my mind - I was throwing around the idea in my head from it that what if there was a theoretical person who had somehow avoided all sense of understanding of the tee, they had never seen a sport and no means to figure what these names and numbers mean. It doesn't have to be a football tee though - it could be branding, it could be culture, it politics.

How do they take it? On page 3, the now banned user "acephalousuniverse" posted about a Ferraro interview, in specific about iPads and how everyone knows what one is. What if you really didn't? I take the idea of an alien culture - in what regard they are alien is not important - who visits the West and sees this football shirt, and they fall in love with the aesthetic of it but never learn what it actually is. They take it home with them, and wear it around, completely oblivious to who or what the gently caress Gerrard is. It takes off and suddenly loads of them are wearing shirts with the name on. Or alternatively, they learn that the word on the back is a name, but not that the name does not belong to the person they see wearing it. What they take back with them is a football shirt, with name and number on the back, which has nothing to do with football in any regard. They are putting their names on them, making up designs and logos for what we know to be sponsorships, but are sticking to the basic design of the football shirt.

I feel the experience I took from this anecdote, and the way I responded to it, holds a lot in common with the work of Lopatin. There are other aspects to it of course which I have not gone deeply into here, because I feel this is getting wordy enough already and is getting nowhere fast. But what is important is that his work, like the football tee, is making me question what I think I know, understand, what I take for granted. It is challenging preconceptions, and I enjoy a challenge.

Maybe the interpretation and everything I have just written above is wrong, if so, please enlighten me so, but I quite like my perspective. I'm still working through R+7, but I am getting more of the same sort of vibe - obviously the details are different, such as advertising being a theme of the previous album, but the concepts remain the same largely. They are making me consider what I perceive to be normal. The video for Still Life is an example of this - even if it is very blunt (I prefer subtle). It is challenging the concept of sexuality, fetishism and the element of reality in regard to sexuality. The video depicts various fetishes that have only really developed through the era of the internet - hentai with unrealistic individuals involved, furries, virtual murder urination fantasy thingamajig - which in a perfect, conceivable, satisfying form only really exist in the mind.

The video also has a cool voiceover. "And you can't find your way out of the maze - you are convinced it has been created solely for you." This plays over clips of a person dressed as a fox drowning, and a woman performing a camshow with an anime mask. The person is not a fox, the woman is not an anime character. You could interpret the drowning as the individual being drowned by the reality of their chosen fetish. The reality is just unreachable for various reasons. But they go down in their fursuit thing anyway. The voiceover is addressing and referring to the fetishism and attaining the reality of it as a maze, something you have to work towards, but are uncertain of the exit on, if the exit even exists. I imagine if I were a furry, or was deep into hentai or something like that, I would feel somewhat lost in the sense that a chief aspect of my sexuality is not real, per se. Like a maze.

These ideas are so distant from the idea of sexuality that most typically hold that most cannot comprehend it or something that is disgusting to some or outright does not make sense, yet to one small fragment of humanity this makes perfect sense. They perceive it as natural, no matter how unattainable. In reality, of course it isn't, but if I am going to question what is considered abnormality, I feel it is best to put what is consider normality to the same testing. Is sexuality I perceive normal - straight, gay, trans, missionary, monogamous/polygamous, love - natural? I'm not sure it is. This is before adding in other aspects of philosophy though - moral, justice, and so on.

This can be taken and compared to something which Lopatin has a fetish for - synthesizers and software. Instruments that are emulated virtually. The man's art is making fake sounds which are intended to sound and feel as real and emotive as the actual instrument, while remaining unreal. You often read of electronic artists who will become a studio recluse due working on one sound until it is perfect or good enough, a sound that exists perfectly in their mind yet the reality of it is so difficult to find in the hardware and software available to them. This has similarities to the interpretation taken from the video of sexuality and the realities of fetishes. Like a furry will go into the deep end to satisfy their sexual and emotional connection to their fetish, for satisfaction an electronic musician will go through great lengths to make an artificial sound as emotive as the real instrument. There is a level of obsession, fetishization and disappointment that likely comes from focussing so strongly, pouring your soul into something that is not real and never will be. You can work on your anime mask or fake trombone sound all you want, they will never really feel real. They will only ever be a close second. The sound may not be natural or perfect to the desire of the musician, but it is still very real regardless, something which eventually the artist will have to settle on as 'close enough'. You can hear it in his work, in this song even. I don't want to say for certain as I am not a musician, but I want to believe this is the case on this album.

The guy is making me think, and I have a lot of free time in which to think.

Now please laugh at my terrible interpretations that are probably on par of that of a five year old.

E: Also, I have already edited this like a thousand times because I have been awake all night and it is now ~9am, and am finding that I have made points I did not elaborate on. If you see something in that mass and I didn't elaborate on it, I just forgot to. Ahahahahh, my grammar was/is awful. I should sleep before typing something longer than two sentences.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Nov 6, 2013

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Haha, thanks man. I'm only self depreciative because I understand that there is a good possibility I am going to be wrong when discussing a medium I have little experience with the actual creation of, limiting my understanding. Plus, I don't like to assume I ever have the entire picture even if I did understand every aspect in the creation. As such, it is not really me putting myself down, it is more just a very negative way of approaching further development, being open to improvement.

And no, I had never actually heard of Ballard before now, but a cursory glance the Wikipedia page for the Atrocity Exhibition makes it seem like something right up my street. I scrolled to a random point and read a couple sentences, getting a bit about the changing name of the protagonist and I am already sold. Funny how that bit stood out and caught my eye. When thinking of my football tee thing a long time ago I had a character in mind for it, but as time progressed and I came up with more scenarios and sketches which I could possibly compile into one short story. As that happened, I became less and less devoted to the idea of a character for my protagonist and was looking for ways to separate them from any preconceptions coming into it. I wanted a blank slate. I intended to approach it with an initial and nothing more, like K. from Kafka's work, and not divulging any of the details of their appearance, age, ethnic origin and so on.

I'm almost definitely going to have to read Ballard now, first to follow up on OPN's influence, but second to see if I can develop my idea more. Thanks Krangdar!

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Right, so I have Simulacra (translated ed.) sat in front of me right now, Fredric Jameson on order at my library and some JG Ballard coming soon in the post. Any other recommended intake you guys would recommend to get me up to conceptual snuff? I mean in any medium. Between the internet and my uni library, I have a lot at arms reach right now. Better now than never - especially whilst I have an interest.

E: The Simulacra is so densely worded. I am enjoying it a lot though - everything I have read so far fits with how I think. It sounds ridiculous, but I think I accidentally came to understanding the core concepts of postmodernism before even knowing what it is. What does it say about me? Get some loving sleep, you weirdo, probably.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Nov 9, 2013

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I was happy to notice OPN's early backcatalogue return to spotify today.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

As much as I love this new direction since Replica, there is something so comforting about his early melancholy landscapes

Agreed, some of his tracks on those early pieces make me feel all warm inside, soothed. Memory Vague, Betrayed in the Octogon, Blue Drive, A Pact Between Strangers, Behind the Bank. Oh man. It was so annoying trying to listen to them by finding bad youtube uploads, with mislabels, poor organisation and low quality. Completely destroyed my will to seek them out, even though it was such a small thing.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
oiseaux, it seems that most of the links in your Wolfers post have gone dead, youtube copyright claims and all that. Finding the rest of the dead tracks posted is pretty hard now. What happened there? Incidentally, thanks for writing that, I've only just gotten around to going through it properly now, and I'm enjoying (if that is the right way to approach it) what I've listened to so far.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I meant enjoy in the sense that while I am enjoying the music, it certainly does not make me happy - but then, that never seemed to be the intent. Enjoyment in the sense of exploration. Exploring the soundscapes given, enjoying the imagery, even if that imagery is dark and depressing in tone. I hope you get my meaning, I am not good at articulating my thoughts on sounds, no matter how much time I spend trying to.

I have no pretentions of musical academia, nor am I particularly interested in attempting to look at music in that sense. My experience with academic musical interpretation has never really been too enjoyable, really.

I'll be sure to check around, I am sure I probably did not give my search for the soundtracks enough effort, it is probably in reach somehow.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Oh don't worry, I didn't take a standoffish tone from it, hah. It's cool.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Infact, reading about Legowelt right now, and he seems to do his own internet broadcast on a radio station sort of thing. Could you recommend listening to that to expand my range? I find the trickiest thing about the sort of artists that would fall under this thread, or a/d/n, is finding a way to learn of new ones. I certainly don't know any people in my life who listen to this sound outside of this thread.

If so, anyone know of any particular broadcast slots worth listening to?

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Mike_V posted:

Legowelt makes a lot of dance music, so I imagine he probably DJs that sort of stuff (I haven't listened to his show).

Yeah, I noticed after a bit of looking around. However, there are like six stations on Intergalactic FM, and most of them cover my interests, so it is entirely my poo poo. Probs gonna listen to it regular now. There is an entire station for soundtrack type stuff!

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I don't understand jack poo poo about how to listen to music, nor music theory, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I have no knowledge on music production, and very weak knowledge on the background and history. But I feel like that gives me my own perspective, an alien one, and I quite enjoy having that. I like coming to my own conclusions and theories for why I like what I do, and it often comes down to nothing more than "I liked the sound of it", or "it made me think about something important". A lot of the music from this thread comes from the latter. Listening to people who claim to be 'experts' can be interesting in that it will offer a different approach, but it isn't going to change how and why I look at music while I do. If I am listening to my experimental music interests wrong, then I simply do not care. I am as layman as it gets and I feel that in this genre it might well be a strength for me. It gives me an innocence. Aside from that, I don't really feel there is a right or wrong way to read experimental music, there are just readings. There are no definites or absolutes. Being open minded about it all is important to me.

om1994, anything ever happen with that idea for a youtube series on experimental music? I am still super interested in seeing that. Your writing on the topic has always been a bit different to my own thoughts, and always interests me by providing a different, more educated response. I said it before, and I say it again, I will happily watch, read or listen to anything you have to say on subject.

Also, is it really a shocker that Fantano provided very little substance? He tends to say a lot of words without actually communicating much, and the only times he does make any real interesting or intelligible points is when he is referring and comparing one piece of music to another piece of music as a source of influence. As soon as he starts discussing music as standalone items on their own, he kinda loses cohesion, or I find at least. The more abstract the topic gets, the less he really has to say. The dude in my mind is more of a personality than anything, not really a reviewer or music expert. Not really sure most people can claim to be the latter anyway.

e; I have never loving heard of lowercase before. any of it you guys would suggest or recommend? Is it likely something I have heard without realising?

Another Person fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 19, 2014

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

I currently have three scripts on the go but the research is insane so I don't end up sounding like Anthony Fantano who is a colossal goon. But please also remember that a lot of my posts in this thread are really bad and not thought through so I can't guarantee it won't be much better than whatever those dicks blabbed about for 40 mins

Good to hear you are still working on it, I wouldn't worry too much about the quality of it in comparison to other videos, if your posts indicate anything, you know your poo poo and it should come across fine in the videos. It won't be another "Uuuhhhhhh drone uhhhhh noise uhhh good" like melonhead over there, I trust you on it that much. And take your time on them, if the script requires lots of time to write and research, give them it.

The OP may have been written in a blasted, opiate haze, but it is still probably one of my favourite posts on the forums. Reading it is a real trip, and I go through it once every couple of months and always end up giving more time to something I missed or didn't spend enough time on and find something new, to me at least. If it retains that standard, then your videos should be amazing. For example, I had given Basinski a listen before and enjoyed it, but not really gone back to him since, but you linked a piece in the OP and I totally rediscovered him on a re-read, and now I listen to him every week or so. Good times.

Have you got a target length for these videos, or are you still figuring all that out? Also, I'd be interested in hearing what topics you have planned so far, but if you intend on keeping that under wraps until you make them, that's cool.

Also, if you think your posts are bad and poorly thought through, then I have no idea what your posts would look like when they aren't that by your standard. I like being able to come into this thread and discovering some new sounds that challenge my views. Getting into postmodernism from some of the earlier discussion in here has actually heavily affected my studies now too, I pretty much specialise in the topic in my studies these days and find myself loaning books waaay above what I should be reading as a first year student. I find myself regularly citing Baudrillard, Jameson (although I disagree with him on some points) and other writers from the field in my work to really good effect. I am kind of shocked I understood it from reading it, and I feel this thread had a huge effect on that, the music from it giving me a real world example and point of reference for developing my thinking on it. Really good stuff, has helped me a lot in my study.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 19, 2014

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Don't worry, I have been abusing Baudrillard on a weekly basis for like two months for assignments and exams on politics and neoliberalism. Because postmodernism is rad as gently caress and can find good application in many fields and school of thought. If Baudrillard read most of what I have written in the past three months on postmodern thought he would probably cry. I would say you have created a good summary of the process. I attempted to type up an essay indicating pretty much the same points, to dissatisfaction. Regardless, my thoughts were the same. Incidentally, revision group discussion was really funny for me, because I would tell people what I was revising and they would just look at me with this scared expression, and just ask me what the gently caress I was talking about and if they were supposed to know it. (they weren't) I really don't like how for the purposes of my course though that my lecturers reduce postmodernism down to just social constructivism. Most people think is where the field of thought ends.

It is really smart, and I really appreciate the philosophy behind the production of their music. I will probs be writing an article on Lopatin soon for my uni newspaper, specifically on the postmodern philosophy and stylings to be found in his work. I look forward to typing it, although I can guarantee that I will be extremely unhappy with whatever I come to produce. I am never happy with my own writing.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 10:31 on May 28, 2014

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

o.m. 94 posted:

Well, I was kinda joking but yeah Hudson Mohawke is total guff that should have died in 2009. But don't ask me b/c i'm someone who wrote a 2000 word essay about James Ferraro

Answers Me posted:

I'll raise you 5000 :eng99:

I'm writing a piece on opn. Should be longer than 2000. Not sure if 5000 tho. Plan to cover most of his (released) career.

Really liking his releases with Ford under Games, those Heaven Can Wait mixtapes are great imo, and then their later album together. You could slot tracks from their album into the mixtapes and never know if it weren't for the difference in sound quality. The degree to which they emulate the sounds of the 80s is amazing. Good poo poo. They remind me of when I used to work in a charity shop and we would get a boatload of self made cassettes in, of peoples mixtape comps from the 80s. If you slotted one of them in, I would never notice one was OPN.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 4, 2014

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Mutation posted:

whenever I see a giant post in this thread it feels like christmas

i get the same sensation.

Bigup, I am putting your post into a timeslot of my life. gonna need time to read it all.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Epileper posted:

also this link (NSFW i think?)
http://fakelove.us
last time i checked it it showed clonazepam boxes and pills (Klonopin, an anti-anxiety medication, highly effective and highly addictive). now it shows an up close ASCII animation of what i think is a woman fingering herself
actually it seems to change every time you click it. neato! just be warned it's possibly NSFW

that site rules, I've gone through like 20 and not had a repeat. The one with the twin towers saying Hail Satan is the best one, imo. Looking for the Clonazepam one, have some weird memories of that stuff.

e: watch this one

Another Person fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jul 14, 2014

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
opn saves epileptic fans from nin concert

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
simultaneous listening is something I would never get to work but that combo is real cool so that was a sick last post. farewell Bigup, your posts were good here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I decided to give this blunt a listen since you are all talking about it, and it has so little energy, and I don't mean pace, I mean like it does not feel like anything. Kinda dull imo. I like where it is going, but I don't like the feel of it.

• Locked thread