Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
What, but why

why did he have to kill them they

he looks exactly like the warden he couldn't have just... ordered whoever it was released? why did he

why did

rodney why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
(Link to Part Two of Three on the previous page)

Chapter 46 - In The Dead of Night
Part Three of Three

quote:

“Sir, I think there may have been a security breach.”

“What!” The big roller coaster said alarmed and angry.

“Someone walked right through the front door, killed more than thirty guards, and released over a hundred prisoners. Could it perhaps be possible that there may have been a security breach?” :downs:

I think this explains Railrunner’s remark that Amusement Park Between is “a place from the most imaginative mind” and Thunderbark’s assertion that their world has “technology that is far more advanced than any humans” – amusement park rides are simply so stupid, every single last one of them, that they truly do think that buildings, flora, fauna and weather exactly like those of the “real world” is “most imaginative” and that an absence of concrete, electric lighting and telecommunications devices is evidence of “far more advanced technology”.

quote:

“Yes, we found some of the cells empty!”

“How in the hell did they get out!”

“We don’t know!”

I put my wheels on the doorknob.

“Railrunner!” whispered Chainlink. “What are you doing!”

“You will see.” I said opening the door. I stepped out onto the large rooftop of the prison.

Why is the prison warden on the roof-top? Does he not have an office? Is he hosting a roof-top party? Why does nothing in the story make the slightest lick of sense?

quote:

At first, Chainlink and I went unnoticed. Then the warden finally turned around. I felt a smile of dignity spread across my face.

“Dignity” = /= “Cruelty”.

quote:

“What is going on here!” He said looking at me in resentment. “Who are you?”

I didn’t answer. I simply stood there leaning casually.

“Answer me!” he demanded loudly. Then he drew his sword and charged, just what I had been waiting for.

I felt the spark in the back of my throat, at it went upwards, it tickled my tongue. I opened my mouth and let out a concussion beam.

Why does Railrunner need to “wait” for the warden to come closer? It’s not as though his “concussion beams” have been established to have a limited effective range.

Why does the warden charge with his sword? If the prison guards mistake Railrunner for the warden, it means the warden is himself a roller coaster, so why doesn’t the warden attack from range with bending?

quote:

Its shockwaves cracked the surface of the roof and the foundation of the prison itself. Its blast echoed through the night. The warden was sent flying backwards into the prison yard below.

As usual, Railrunner does not give the slightest drat about collateral damage to his “friends” and the other prisoners who are still in the prison.

quote:

The other guards looked at their deceased leader and back at me. I took off my helmet, and Chainlink came out from behind, bending fire and lightning. I then tilted my head back and released another concussion beam to the dark night sky, signaling for the pack to attack.

A hundred screams it seemed, went off like an alarm. From my stance, I could see the trees rustling by force. Then suddenly dozens of our army members burst through the bushes with swords drawn and ready to clash.

Chainlink and I watched as many of us climbed over the walls and barreled through the iron door. Our troops spilled into the prison yard. Fallen soldiers raced out of the corridors, completely unaware that they were outnumbered.

It was clear, that we were winning.

I watched with a slight grin as I saw the Fallen being slaughtered one by one. It was like two rivals packs fighting for territory, which it indeed was.

He’s not even pretending to be “heroic” any more. He’s “grinning” as he watches his foes being “slaughtered”, and he admits that this isn’t about good and evil or protecting the innocent, this is about conquest of territory and personal gain.

quote:

Soon there was not but six soldiers left. I raised my arms and brought them downward, shooting out several bolts of lightning. All six Fallen soldiers were hit like targets. There was now none left, my heart fluttered when I discovered we had won.

He doesn’t even ask them to surrender or try to capture them; he just flat out slaughters them. Our hero protagonist, ladies and gentlemen.

quote:

Razorblade looked up from below, everyone followed his gaze. He smiled and took a flag, bearing our colors, and raised it high in the air. He then roared as he drove the flag’s pole down onto enemy turf, claiming that this was now ours.

I found myself letting out a bellowing laugh, mainly because I knew that there was finally hope. Hope that could put the citizens of Amusement Park Between back on top.

“Well done general!” Razorblade shouted. I looked to see that Merrylegs and Static now stood next to me.

“See Static, I knew he could do it.” Merrylegs said to him.

“Yeah.” He replied simply.

“Did you two bet on me or something?” I questioned them.

“Not really- never mind Railrunner. You did great, better than I expected.” Merrylegs smiled.

“Good, thank you. Now there is just one important order to say before we proceed.”

“Go ahead,” she said grinning.

I looked back to the army again, I raised my sword high in the air, and like dominoes they all followed me. The ex-prisoners cheered in triumph, and then I gave the command:

“To Alcator!”

I defy anyone to name a protagonist in any published work of fiction who is more loathsome and unsympathetic than Railrunner.

Madoushi
May 9, 2003

Some days, you just get up on the wrong side of the bed...

alcharagia posted:

What, but why

he looks exactly like the warden he couldn't have just... ordered whoever it was released? why did he

why did

rodney why

blood for the blood coaster
skulls for the skull throne (once he steals it from Ironwheel)

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Bobbin's take on Amusement Park Universe reminds me a lot of Stephen King's The Regulators, with objects manifested as their platonic forms and the main characters using that to their advantage. Looking forward to more!

attackbunny
May 1, 2009

quote:

Below us was a prison that looked like Alcatraz.
In all the maps and pictures I've seen of Alcatraz, it barely has any walls. This is reasonable, considering that it's surrounded by water. This prison is inland. Therefore, what Miranda must be trying to say is 'poorly secured'.

alcharagia posted:

What, but why

why did

rodney why
The entire point of the conveniently close resemblance that Miranda just pulled out of her rear end was that 'you're fired' :smug:. It will never come up again. As far as Miranda is concerned it was awesome and everyone is clapping like a seal. One clap for every innocent and unfairly-maligned creature Railrunner slaughters.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

I got a question. How the hell can Railrunner resemble the warden? Oh, I'm sure that here are some minute details of the face equal to how we can tell people apart by the face and how pet owners can recognize their labrador from a sea of labradors. However those minute details between two individuals do not really matter when they are of two different colors! And also when Railrunner is a red roller coaster, there is no mistaking him for anyone else. So how do they resemble? Do they have full-face skull helmets on? Do they both wear magic trenchcoats that hide their main color?

Please note the level of violence, ruthlessness and self-gratification bordering on masturbation in this chapter, or maybe just how long this chapter was. Then remember this was just to take over a prison. Then remember this same army is going to take down a capital city, which is going to be much bigger than just mere prison.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

alcharagia posted:

What, but why

why did

rodney why

To be fair, I'm not sure prison wardens actually have the power to just order all their prisoners released, just like that. And the real warden is still in the prison so they probably wouldn't get very far before he finds out and there's a fight anyway.

I think my favorite part of the chapter was the warden, a professional in position of authority, randomly charging someone with deadly intent because he didn't immediately identify himself. Not even pulling his sword and demanding RR identify himself again, which would be reasonable, but "who are you? ... Prepare to die!! :black101:"

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Iced Cocoa posted:

I did not see that twist coming. And while Black is certainly getting powers and insights in each chapter, it still feels more of a natural progression rather than power of convenience. While he may be diagnosed with small case of MC Syndrome, it still feels not like a cop-out and more realistic, well, within the rules of the world.

Keep in mind that he's still a squishy human in a land full of super-strong, super-fast, regenerating steel monstrosities. He's gotta Batman it up if he wants any hope of surviving. And don't forget what color a Glock pistol is; with his issues with remembering details, I'm not sure Black will remember that fact in time...

quote:

I looked back to the army again, I raised my sword high in the air, and like dominoes they all followed me.

So does that mean they're all a bunch of faceless interchangeable mooks, or that they're setting themselves up for a fall? :v:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Keep in mind that he's still a squishy human in a land full of super-strong, super-fast, regenerating steel monstrosities. He's gotta Batman it up if he wants any hope of surviving. And don't forget what color a Glock pistol is; with his issues with remembering details, I'm not sure Black will remember that fact in time...

I won't matter much, what with his last name and all. :v:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

JosephWongKS posted:

I defy anyone to name a protagonist in any published work of fiction who is more loathsome and unsympathetic than Railrunner.

Humbert Humbert?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Thomas Covenant?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Literally the faintest praise I've ever seen.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

quote:

“That’s right, I am firing you.” I said snapping my wheels like I would fingers. My allies suddenly drew their swords and slammed them into the guards. The grey soldier stared at me in shock then back to the sword that stuck out of his belly.

“Unfortunately we have to do it in the most gruesome way possible.” "Cutbacks are a bitch, huh?" I smiled as he fell to the dirt ground dead.

Took me literally 5 seconds.

quote:

“Sorry, seems you didn't make the cut.” I smiled as he fell to the dirt ground dead.

quote:

“Budget cuts, you know how it is.” I smiled as he fell to the dirt ground dead.

Literally 10 seconds.

Pththya-lyi posted:

Humbert Humbert?

He eventually feels remorse for his actions. Judging from the sequel, Railrunner has no such revelations.

What did Thomas Covenant do?

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 11, 2013

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Who's ready with their eyebleach? :v: Here are some of the most horrifying things that are were found in Miranda's dA gallery.

Note, everything is :nws:

Let's start light. Just what happens when a roller coaster is about to give birth to a red?

:gonk: http://i.imgur.com/cQHW4qD.jpg :gonk:

In the right page, to the left, the text says that the vagina only forms during labor. No sex bits at all until they're needed. But labor starts when the water breaks (where does it go out?) and the labor lasts between 30-48 hours.

So, what comes next?

:nms::gonk: http://i.imgur.com/dOmSh2k.jpg :gonk::nms:

Strange fact: I remember from the description of this piece that the orange coaster works as a midwife. In a world where that was the tenth birth. Miranda :argh:

And for the big finale.

:barf::gonk::nms::suicide: http://i.imgur.com/SjyenGs.jpg :suicide::nms::gonk::barf:

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Pththya-lyi posted:

Humbert Humbert?

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The Book Barn > Where I Read: Miranda Leek's "Twisted": Well, at least the main protagonist isn't a pedophile

e: ^ Why the god-forsaken gently caress does Miranda have to go into such detail? :psyboom:

ConfusedPig fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 11, 2013

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

It does go through the whole length of the coaster! That's horrifying.
Man oh man, they are really lucky that they are super special roller-coasters. Because that mother and child have an extremely high chance to have possibly-fatal complications occur during the process. I'm serious, at this point I would say a Caesarean would be a saner and less painful approach to this.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

SSNeoman posted:

It does go through the whole length of the coaster! That's horrifying.
Man oh man, they are really lucky that they are super special roller-coasters. Because that mother and child have an extremely high chance to have possibly-fatal complications occur during the process. I'm serious, at this point I would say a Caesarean would be a saner and less painful approach to this.

Don't be silly, everyone knows that a pregnant roller coaster has the ability to bend its fetus and/or womb i.e. the ability to do "and other things".

Chapter 7 posted:

“Now a roller coaster has powers beyond humans [sic] understanding. We can bend lightening [sic] and fire; posses [sic] super strength and agility. We can predict when things will happen, except death, and sense trouble. We can never get sick -"

* snip *

As I was saying, we are venomous, we can hear a sound from miles, we have the sight of a dragon, and other things.”

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jun 12, 2013

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

I like how the roller coaster in the background looks like he's sneaking away. Nope, not part of this poo poo, see you later.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

Who's a bigger monster now? You or Railrunner???

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Mercedes posted:

Who's a bigger monster now? You or Railrunner???

A world with "technology that is far more advanced than any humans" does not have an emoticon sufficient to express my...

Well, it doesn't have a word for it, either. Horror? What's the thing that's a step above horror?

attackbunny
May 1, 2009

Dreggon posted:

A world with "technology that is far more advanced than any humans" does not have an emoticon sufficient to express my...

Well, it doesn't have a word for it, either. Horror? What's the thing that's a step above horror?
The twist ending is that this book is a catalyst to summon the Great Old Ones. Our abhorrence and despair will draw them into this reality. Turns out the incomprehensible forms of the Great Old Ones were pregnant rollercoaster trains the whole time.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

SSNeoman posted:

What did Thomas Covenant do?

Read The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant if you want to know.
He does eventually realize just how much of a horrible excuse for a human being he is, though, unlike Humbert and Railrunner.

:stonk: Wow...

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chapter 47 – Apocalypse
Part One

quote:

Time was now limited, everything was transforming into something that was thought to never be possible. My head was spinning from my continuous worries. Such worries made my whole focus on things cloudy or foggy.

Give how stupid Railrunner is at the best of times, how can his focus on things get any more “cloudy or foggy”?

quote:

Soon I would see Ironwheel and his entire wrath that he would rain down on me. Soon I would see Thunderbark again; I was expecting the worst there. Trapped for weeks in a confined cell had to be hell for him. He had been waiting endlessly for me, could it be possible if he had given up hope? Maybe, maybe not.

Thunderbark was captured in Chapter 33.

Railrunner threw a tantrum in Chapter 35, right after the capture of Thunderbark.

In Chapter 36, “Within the next forty-five minutes we arrived on the outskirts of [Zegria]”, and Railrunner entered the arena tournament on the same day.

In Chapter 39, they spent the night at The Silver Spoke.

In Chapter 40, they left the hotel “at twilight” (Chapter 40), “as soon as the sun rises” (Chapter 39).

In Chapter 41, they reached Xzerma, presumably on the same day, since it was “not but a few miles away”. Railrunner was put into a comatose state by Freakshow in the same chapter.

In Chapter 43, Railrunner regained consciousness, and Chainlink revealed that he had been comatose for a week.

In Chapter 44, “It vas [sic] very late at night”. Presumably it was the night of the same day as Chapter 43.

In Chapter 45, “It was late in the afternoon”, presumably the afternoon following the night of Chapter 44. It was also stated that “The following night was the night we were to take action”.

In Chapter 46, they began, and completed, the assault on the prison.

All together, it had only been slightly over a week since Thunderbark had been captured, not “weeks” as Railrunner claims.

quote:

It now seemed like I was the balance to this world. A force that was to keep things at ease, harmonizing the good and bad things that I seemed to have no control over. Yet I had no control over some of the things that had to do with me. I had the dreams that caused pain; I had different abilities than any other roller coaster. There was also a predatory instinct, making me lick my lips when I saw blood, laugh when I saw my enemy’s death. Why? Was there something wrong with me? Couldn’t be, I was the way I was because I was born and not built.

“He can’t help his temper; that’s just the way he is,” said the battered wife of her abusive husband.

quote:

I continued to linger among my thoughts as we marched toward Alcator.

“Linger on” =/= “Linger among”

quote:

I seemed to be thinking all those thoughts because I believed it could be the end, but I wasn’t going to let it end! I shook my head to clear my mind completely, this time it actually worked.

We moved silently in the tall grass in the light of the vanishing moon.

The waxing moon makes Railrunner stronger, but the waning moon doesn’t make him any weaker. Shouldn’t all red roller coasters be infinitely powerful after a certain number of lunar cycles, if each waxing moon grants a permanent boost of strength?

quote:

Merrylegs padded silently beside me, I could feel the vibration of her heart.

“Beating heart” =/= “Vibrating heart”, though admittedly the monstrous abominations that are anthropomorphic amusement park rides could very well have hearts that vibrate.

quote:

It was fast, much faster than normal. Merrylegs must be uneasy, and I could see why. I was too.

Merrylegs is clearly uneasy because Railrunner is right there next to her and she’s afraid of being killed and/or eaten by him, as he has threatened to do in the recent past.

quote:

“Merrylegs?” I asked her.

“Yes, Railrunner.”

“I can tell you don’t want to do this.” I said looking to the horizon.

None of them had any qualms about slaughtering their foes. Why would she suddenly “don’t want to do this”? Railrunner is wrong and the true reason for Merrylegs’ unease is as I’ve set out above.

quote:

“Well, it is that and something else.”

“What?”

“The fact that you can predict death makes me wonder if I am to die today.” Merrylegs mumbled.

This is thoroughly asinine reasoning. Setting aside the fact that his very presence makes it more likely that you’ll be killed and eaten in one of his murderous temper tantrums, his ability to “predict death” doesn’t increase the chances of anyone dying. Why should “the fact that [he] can predict death” make Merrylegs wonder if she is to die today?

quote:

“Merrylegs! Why would you ask me that?”

“It is the principle that you can.”

“Listen, if I knew you were going to die I would have told you already.”

“Oh, well silly me.” She said sheepishly.

It’s not “silly”. Railrunner has demonstrated an immense degree of egotism, selfishness, self-centredness, and the attention span of a drunk kitten – there’s every reason to believe that he would not forewarn one of his “friends” of their possible death.

quote:

“Static is not going to die either before you ask me that question.”

“Good. Is anybody?”

“You are pressing your luck.” I said raising my pierced eyebrow.

See? See? For some reason that’s “pressing her luck” even though it’s an entirely justified and reasonable question.

Kudos to Miranda Leek for remembering Railrunner’s pierced eyebrow, which was mentioned in Chapter 4.

quote:

“Sorry Railrunner, I just want to know.” Merrylegs whispered quietly.

I sighed. “Some are, yes.”

74th sigh of the book.

quote:

“Okay, I just wanted to know, I won’t ask you anything else.” She replied inaudibly.

It worries me if Miranda Leek genuinely thinks this is what “friendship” looks like.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

"Hey Railrunner, you can predict death, right?"
"right"
"And a few of these people here might die on this raid against Ironwheel."
"lol yeah so what"
"Well... are any of them going to die? If so, which ones?"
"omg shut the gently caress up or ill kill you fuckin horse"
"But... these might be the last moments of their lives. Surely you could warn them of possible dangers, like ambushes, or traps--"
"gently caress OFF OR YOUR DEAD"

Looks like we'll be trading one tyrant for another :sigh:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dreggon posted:

"Hey Railrunner, you can predict death, right?"
"right"
"And a few of these people here might die on this raid against Ironwheel."
"lol yeah so what"
"Well... are any of them going to die? If so, which ones?"
"omg shut the gently caress up or ill kill you fuckin horse"
"But... these might be the last moments of their lives. Surely you could warn them of possible dangers, like ambushes, or traps--"
"gently caress OFF OR YOUR DEAD"

Looks like we'll be trading one tyrant for another :sigh:

Amusement Park Between is trading a relatively benevolent and competent autocrat for a psychopathic murderous moron. As attackbunny pointed out:

attackbunny posted:

Ironwheel seems perfectly acceptable as a leader so far. Trenzon was in good shape and had a mayor so there's clearly an existing system of devolved government, there's an accepted system of currency, civilians aren't starving to death, Railrunner and the Murder Crew trekked across country for days without being troubled by bandits. Speaking of bandits, it's regrettable that Nessie and her crew had to be dragged into combat, but sending out three ships against one that's got Thundersigh aboard is perfectly reasonable. He employs people who are socially discriminated against solely because of the circumstances of their creation and is unfairly villainised for it.

Admittedly he's cranky and has bones scattered around his throne room, but you'd be pretty loving cranky too if you had to deal with these shitheads all day. And he didn't actually maim that carousel horse, did he?

In conclusion, Ironwheel's a fantastic leader and I completely support him in his endeavours to destroy Railrunner and continue ruling Amusement Park Between with an iron fist. (No puns.) Someone's got to keep the rest of them in line.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

quote:

It now seemed like I was the balance to this world. A force that was to keep things at ease, harmonizing the good and bad things that I seemed to have no control over. Yet I had no control over some of the things that had to do with me. I had the dreams that caused pain; I had different abilities than any other roller coaster. There was also a predatory instinct, making me lick my lips when I saw blood, laugh when I saw my enemy’s death. Why? Was there something wrong with me? Couldn’t be, I was the way I was because I was born and not built.

Do you know how disturbing this is? It really says that nature trumps over nurture. That people are just born evil. It is in line with how the Fallen are created, caused by effects that they can't control but it was always going to be so.

But here it is simply stated that Railrunner can't do anything wrong because he was born unlike the other rides. It doesn't matter that he was raised by humans and learned their morals, when he went coaster, he went all in and believes that the supreme being such as him is supposed to be bloodthirsty, predatory and wholly lacks empathy for others.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

The sun had long since set when Detective Black set off for the concrete building at the edge of town, but there were enough electric street lights that he was able to find the structure by the black silhouette it left on the forest behind it. Black had trouble searching the sides for a door, but eventually found one by using the faint glow of his cell phone. Out of curiosity, he checked the screen, but just as he suspected it informed him that he was out of the service area.

The door was locked, but a few good kicks broke the latch. Black fumbled around for a light switch, then blinked in pain as his eyes adjusted to the bright florescent panels that lit the interior. When he could finally see again, the detective found that the building was just what he'd suspected: a series of connected rooms were lined floor to ceiling with shelves, cardboard boxes, and wooden crates. A large steel shutter in the floor of the largest room caught his interest, along with the accompanying manhole, but Black busied himself with hunting through the shelves and boxes until he found exactly what he was looking for: a medium-sized box stacked full of reels of yellow raffle tickets, still sealed in a protective plastic bag. Rick considered taking the entire box with him, but decided against it when he remembered they were supposed to be money in this world. Two spools hidden under his jacket would have to do for now.

"Excuse me, sir, you're not supposed to be here."

At the sound of the unknown voice, Detective Black dropped the tickets and spun around, hand on his pistol and heart pumping overtime. He found himself face to face with a nondescript man half his size dressed in a plain green coverall with the name "Justin" stitched onto the left breast. The short man had his arms crossed and looked plainly annoyed, but appeared unarmed beyond the tool belt around his waist. What made Black most uneasy, however, was the fact that he couldn't read him. During his years on the force, Black had found that his psychic power worked on all unprotected humans and near-humans, such as vampires, werewolves, and ghosts, but he had on occasion met fey spirits and extraterrestrials, and in neither case had his telepathy worked. Whatever the person in front of him looked like, Detective Black knew he was not--and never had been--human.

Still, the situation itself was hardly unfamiliar to the detective, and he found his hand reaching for his badge out of instinct. Pausing for a moment, he decided that it was at least worth a shot, and completed the action. "Detective Richard Black, Paranormal Department," he announced, holding his shield out for the unknown creature to inspect.

"Oh! Excuse me, sir!" Justin replied, surprising Black with a respectful bow. "We don't get many visitors back here. May I ask what your business is?"

"I, um, I need to speak with your supervisor. It's a confidential matter."

"Certainly, sir. Let me just finish my delivery and I'll take you down to him." The detective followed the short man back to the large room, where he now saw a clean, freshly painted yellow forklift laden with a large pallet of secured boxes. Justin climbed onto the forklift controls that were sized perfectly for him and drove it over to the far wall, where he dropped the stack and reversed back onto the elevator platform which had emerged from the metal shutters.

Justin waved Black over. "Please come stand next to me on the lift, Detective." Once he had done so, the man turned and pressed a button on the wall behind him. "Watch your arms, sir. This lift has no safety rails."

With a jolt the elevator dropped down into a long tunnel. As the shutter closed above them, a series of amber lights flickered on along the walls, giving Black a sense of just how many hundreds of feet below the surface they were going.

After Black had popped his ears twice, the lift clattered to a halt and another set of shutters whispered open in front of the two occupants. Justin carefully drove his surprisingly quiet forklift over the lip and partway down a ramp which led into a massive warehouse, then pointed off to an elevated office that overlooked the chamber from the opposite wall. "Just follow the catwalks around the edge until you reach the office. If the boss isn't there, his secretary will know where to find him. Now if you don't mind, I've got some more deliveries to make tonight."

Black nodded and let the operator continue down into the warehouse. The catwalks were easily accessed from a staircase whose stairs were so small and close together that the detective was forced to take them two at a time. The walkway had enough room above it that Black could stand straight, but the rails only came up to his knees, leaving him somewhat anxious about getting too close to the edge. From his vantage point, he saw a large number of other workers in the warehouse, some on foot and some in forklifts, all of whom looked and dressed almost identically to Justin. Black also noticed that he was getting more than a few stares in his direction and hurried over to the office.

Detective Black was forced to duck and squeeze sideways through the office door, and the paneled ceiling was just a bit too low for him to stand erect. The man behind the secretary's desk was also dressed in a green coverall, although this one had "Kyle" stitched above the breast pocket. "Excuse me, sir?" Kyle asked. "What are you doing here? This area is authorized for gnomes only." Feeling more confident, Black flashed his badge again and identified himself. Kyle acted more puzzled than differential, however. Pressing a button on an old-fashioned intercom, he said, "Hey, Boss? I've got a...Detective Black here to see you?"

"Detective?" the intercom crackled. "Send him in, I suppose." Kyle shrugged and waved towards the door leading in.

The man standing behind the large desk in the inner office looked just the same as every other gnome Black had seen, except that the words "Warehouse Boss" were written where his name tag would have gone. However, a glint of thoughtfulness in the boss's eyes led Black to suspect that he might understand the situation better than any of his underlings could.

"Good evening, Detective Black," the gnome greeted him, stretching out a hand which Rick shook. "My apologies if anyone gave you a hard time, but it's very rare for us to get any visitors. Possibly unprecedented, but we've been around so long it can be hard to keep track sometimes. Normally, the inhabitants of this world are unable to see us gnomes or our outposts, let alone reach the Factory and arrange a visit with a foreman such as myself. Might I ask how you managed it?"

"I'm, er, not an amusement ride. I'm a human," Black explained awkwardly. "And I'm a detective. I figure it's one of those things that lets me see you guys."

The foreman nodded sagely. "That makes sense. We don't get too many of any of those things. Well, now that you're here, what did you want?" Rick scratched his chin, still trying to process everything he had seen. "Say, how'd you like a tour?" the gnome offered.

Deciding it could only help, Black accepted. Grinning at the prospect of showing off, the foreman led the way out of his office. "It would seem the detective wants a tour of the Factory," he informed his secretary. "Hold the fort while I'm gone." With a wave, the gnome strutted out onto the catwalks and opened a door that led further into the complex.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Well that fanfiction is great and all ( certainly reminds me that Bobbin is a skilled writer...) but I have a question about Park's monetary system.

As I understand they have coin dispensers and arcade games.
Coin dispensers give you X coins per day, while arcade games give you Y tickets in exchange for coins assuming you do well on them. Both of those are maintained by gnomes but from the rides' perspective they are for all intents and purposed magical and infinite.
Same thing with all the supplies rides need be it food, drinks or clothing.
The only reason they even bother with coins is that Iron raptor makes them use them just so he can tax them. Alright, how the hell does that work? Does he tax them higher than X? If so, why are there no bloody feuds over resource-producing buildings like bars that would provide income? If he taxes them below X why are there any talks about using those as currency?
As for tickets- why would you ever want them? Their worth is determined solely by how many coins you need to spend on 1 on average, yet Iron Raptor steals them from lucky winners. Do they have any intrinsic value? If not, then there is no point in trying to win those, especially when getting a bunch of those just sets you to Y=X.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

DmitriX posted:

Well that fanfiction is great and all ( certainly reminds me that Bobbin is a skilled writer...) but I have a question about Park's monetary system.

As I understand they have coin dispensers and arcade games.
Coin dispensers give you X coins per day, while arcade games give you Y tickets in exchange for coins assuming you do well on them. Both of those are maintained by gnomes but from the rides' perspective they are for all intents and purposed magical and infinite.
Same thing with all the supplies rides need be it food, drinks or clothing.
The only reason they even bother with coins is that Iron raptor makes them use them just so he can tax them. Alright, how the hell does that work? Does he tax them higher than X? If so, why are there no bloody feuds over resource-producing buildings like bars that would provide income? If he taxes them below X why are there any talks about using those as currency?
As for tickets- why would you ever want them? Their worth is determined solely by how many coins you need to spend on 1 on average, yet Iron Raptor steals them from lucky winners. Do they have any intrinsic value? If not, then there is no point in trying to win those, especially when getting a bunch of those just sets you to Y=X.

The use of coins and tickets as currency had been in place since before Iron Raptor took over. Their use wasn't strictly necessary, but in the sense that that "Please" and "Thank you" or server tips (in America) aren't necessary--that is, you could still get what you wanted, but you'd be considered very rude unless you had a valid excuse, like an addiction to arcade games without the skills to get tickets. As such, there wasn't much to drive to use them to get rich and so the coins dispensed every day were distributed more or less evenly between the community. Oddly enough, the dispensers always seemed to produce enough coins for everyone to get a fair share regardless of how big the community was.

When Iron Raptor came around, he wanted the best of everything reserved for himself and his cronies, even though there was no real reason to hoard resources. To Raptor, it was the disparity that mattered, the acknowledgement that he and his were better and should thus get better stuff. To enforce this disparity, he made the use of coins and tickets mandatory and set agents at every dispensary to make sure his crew got the lion's share. They then tax business operators so they can't ever get too wealthy, either, and to make sure that the coins and tickets are being properly used.

In regards to tickets, his agents only grow interested in someone if he or she starts to win too often, enough so that their wealth might rival that of Iron Raptor's followers. In response, the other rides have taken either to only winning a few tickets per day, working with other rides to distract the agents and sneak away with a large amount, or else bribing the agents to look the other way after taking a large cut.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

There is still no valid reason to deliberately play games for tickets, since unless you are good at them you will just lose money, and if you don't, you get robbed by minions and break even or get a very slight profit(unless you employ bribery or diversions but that's not a reason for tickets to be valuable).

Also if resources are infinite and anyone could just self-serve themselves, why would it be rude to take them without paying? Paying whom anyway? How do they determine who owns the source of infinite resources?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

DmitriX posted:

There is still no valid reason to deliberately play games for tickets, since unless you are good at them you will just lose money, and if you don't, you get robbed by minions and break even or get a very slight profit(unless you employ bribery or diversions but that's not a reason for tickets to be valuable).

Tickets were valuable before Iron Raptor took over and he has since enforced the ticket-coin trade rate since it benefits him. Besides that, you are allowed to make a certain profit by playing, since Raptor cronies take significantly more coins than what others get; between that, the taxes, and the ticket thefts, there is definitely some wiggle room to be had between haves and have-nots. Also, the coin agents all have pretty individual ideas on how much is "too much" and when it's time to force winners to trade back.

quote:

Also if resources are infinite and anyone could just self-serve themselves, why would it be rude to take them without paying? Paying whom anyway? How do they determine who owns the source of infinite resources?

Rides can claim ownership of shops, hotels, bars, etc., and that ownership is usually acknowledged by the community. Admittedly, they can't act as much more than tellers and salespeople, but it gives folks something to do and a reason to feel useful in a world that provides everything for its inhabitants. You might say that Park Beyond relies solely on the service industry. ;)

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

That's about the appropriate reaction: confused terror bordering on physical illness. To quote Zack Parsons in his review of SWAP.AVI: "I check my revolver but I have fired off my last cartridge at an Indian I caught eating a discarded shoe from my trash. I place the pistol to my temple and pull the trigger anyway. One of them seems to be crying. Click. Click. Click." On the list of things I never thought I'd see, a rollercoaster with breasts and a vagina giving birth to another rollercoaster as a carousel horse watches in abject horror was pretty high on the list as impossible. What a quaint world my mind once occupied. :saddowns:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chapter 47 – Apocalypse
Part Two of Two

quote:

“That is fine, how much longer?”

“We should be there in about an hour.”

“Hmm, I don’t really have a plan on how we are to evade, hate to say.”

Their plan was to “siege Alcator”, so what are they trying to “evade” in the first place?

quote:

“Really?”

“Yes.”

I turned to see that he was not far behind us, I called his name. He quickly came running up to me.

“What do you wish, general?” he said in his deep voice.

“I want to know if you have any plans.”

“Yes, I actually do, general. I arranged to have a few of our planes circle the city and see what the Fallen are up to. Then if we get the “green light”, you give the order to attack. If by any chance that we need help, I have reinforcements that are close by. Let’s just say that they are a blast.”

He finished chuckling quietly.

“Good.”

This is what passes for a “plan” among roller coasters.

quote:

About fifty minutes later the city of Alcator had appeared above the horizon. Even still the sun had not shown its face and the city’s fog lights were still shinning [sic] brightly.

In little time we reached the edge of the river that almost surrounded the peninsula where Alcator sat. In the not so far off distance I saw the huge outline of a dark castle that was precariously perched on the edge of the cliff. I growled deep in my throat, that was Ironwheel’s lair.

“Hush, save it Railrunner,” Static said in a low tone. “You will get your chance.”

“I’ll make sure I do.” I replied.

Razorblade snuck out of the bush to where I laid. He crouched low to my level.

No one in this story could possibly stoop low enough to reach Railrunner’s level.

quote:

“I am sending out our planes now,” he said. I watched as five planes fluttered from the trees and toward Alcator, their wing beats silent as a moth.

These are amusement park planes, aren’t they? Don’t those have fixed wings? Why would their wings “beat”, let alone like a moth’s?

quote:

I watched them eagerly as they circled like vultures above the city’s infrastructure. At some points they became specks in the melancholy sky.

Why doesn’t the capital city of the brutal dictator have any anti-air defences?

quote:

Then they became larger as they flew back toward us. The two landed with a soft thump on the grass in front of me.

Initially, “… five planes fluttered from the trees and toward Alcator”. Now only two planes have landed. What happened to the remaining three planes?

Or had Miranda Leek already forgotten the number of planes which were originally sent out? That has to be a new record for the speed at which one section of the story contradicts an earlier section.

quote:

“The conditions seem good, there are very few Fallen soldiers around, in fact, they seem almost sluggish.”

“Thank you, spread the word to the back flank, we are moving out.”

“Back” and “Flank” are mutually exclusive.

quote:

“Aye, sir.” They said as they took off again.

A world with technology so advanced, they need to rely on personal messengers and couriers to convey messages to different sections of the army, instead of using radio or other telecommunications devices.

quote:

Razorblade slowly crept into the water; I let Merrylegs and Static hop onto my back as we advanced.

The water that surrounded Alcator was murky and had a rotten odor; I did not even want to know why it was that way either. Probably threw bodies in here, I thought.

The water has a rotten odor because Railrunner is there.

quote:

Then Razorblade climbed onto the dock at the other side of the river. I soon met him; we peeked over the edge of the wood.

Does it even count as a “wood” if the vegetation is so short that you can peek “over” the edge?

quote:

Then Razorblade started to move in, my heart hammering in my chest because I knew that this was it.

We waited outside the city gates unseen until everyone was out of the foul smelling river.

The capital city of the brutal dictatorship has no patrols or guard posts at its outskirts.

quote:

Then the pack leader charged forward like a bull, he head butted his way through the iron gate. Once inside, he turned to look at me.

“Sound our battle cry!”

I didn’t hesitate, I ran forward and roared. All of our army motioned forward, ready to kill. The battle had begun. I watched as the others raced forward and started to smash up various things.

Why are they “smashing up” the city? Aren’t they there to “defend” the civilians against the Fallen’s homicidal plans?

quote:

The remaining Fallens rushed out of their hiding spots, only to meet their fate. My bloodlust rose as I watched our troops beat the Fallen to their roots. Then I couldn’t hold back myself, I charged forward.

Hasn’t Railrunner already “ran forward and roared”? What is left for him to charge “forward” to?

quote:

I started to rip apart things and throw it at my opponents, I burst through gates, harming any damned soul that got in my way. I watched as Razorblade pried apart a door and threw it in the distance. He didn’t aim at anything, he just chucked it.

Why are they just throwing things indiscriminately? Aren’t they there to “defend” the civilians against the Fallen’s homicidal plans?

quote:

“Why are we just making a mess!” I yelled to him.

“Because we wanted a fight! We are going to attract the king’s men!”

I nodded, the main army was the one who we were supposed to hang out to dry after they were stained with their own blood. The Fallen came toward me in a big rank, I let lose a concussion beam, bowling them down like pins. Concussion beams seemed the way to go, after all I had plenty to spare!

:negative:

quote:

I did more blasts; my throat began to tire after about twenty or so.

Why is Railrunner tiring? Moonhoof said that Railrunner has “unlimited energy” in Amusement Park Between, “especially because [he] bare [sic] the Augu Ra”.

quote:

My beam’s aftershocks badly damaged the city, again I found myself laughing in pure amusement.

They are causing more damage and destruction to the city and not only does he not care, he’s “laughing in pure amusement”. Yet somehow we are still supposed to treat Railrunner as a “hero”. How can anyone aspiring to be a writer be so utterly oblivious?

quote:

I looked up, to my horror a hundred fallen soldiers were coming down from the castle, arms up and ready. This was it.

Why is he “horrified”? He had “nodded” when Razorblade said “Because we wanted a fight! We are going to attract the king’s men!”

quote:

Then all of Ironwheel’s soldiers charged, letting out cries to intimidate. I snarled, then roared, signaling for our men to move forward. Everything then turned brutal. Both forces, good and evil, clashed like tractor-trailers in a head on collision. I ran to join them, as everyone lashed out at each other like angry predators.

I ran up the face of a building, my claws digging deeply into it, I then lunged for a neighboring skyscraper. Then I leaped from each of their sides, like a tree frog hopping from branch to branch. I then climbed to the tiptop of the tallest building. I ran to the edge and glanced for a split second at the chaos below. I snarled, and then dived downward into the sea of soldiers.

I extracted my claws, and started to obliterate.

Why is he fighting hand-to-hand? Wouldn’t concussion beams be more effective? Hadn’t he said that “Concussion beams seemed the way to go”?

quote:

Thirty minutes past, and our numbers were wearing thin.

Why are their numbers wearing thin? Can’t he just obliterate everyone with fire or lightning or concussion beams or the Augu Ra’s disintegration ray, the way he did at the prison?

quote:

My wheels were soaked in bright red blood and so were my teeth. The sky seemed to be lit like fire and everything was burning to the ground. Then I heard Razorblade’s call, I looked around but he was nowhere in sight. Suddenly the ground trembled, the buildings behind us collapsed. Then suddenly out of the smoke appeared five swinging ships.

That’s a lot of “Then”s and “Suddenly”s, with one “Then suddenly” to boot.

quote:

They walked on land like alligators, but their was a major difference, they had big cannons standing on top of them. They were Razorblade’s reinforcements.

The cannons fired, the sound was deafening to sensitive ears. Soldiers fell to the ground without a struggle.

Aren’t Railrunner’s forces and the Fallen fighting in mixed melee? Won’t the cannons be firing on both forces? Why are they deliberately killing their own forces?

Also, why do the “swinging ships” have any effect at all? Isn’t it well-established that roller coasters can only be harmed by other roller coasters?

quote:

Blood’s sweet scent was heavy in the air and was sprayed all over the grass. Then the Fallen struck once more, this time the coasters used their best weapon as a last resort. Then it all went down hill again as the two sides fired at each other. Screams were all that could be heard. Death was all that was seen.

Anger filled me, I thought of the ones I loved, my friends. Fury replaced fear. I felt myself grow hot, almost burning. My blood boiled. I felt myself grow light, then I hovered a few feet in the air. What was this? Then I remembered Thunderbark’s teachings, it was the biggest fire blast that this world was to ever know. I watched flames spread around me. They whipped around like a tornado; I raised my head, and wailed. All my eyes could see was an explosion that went up into the smoky clouds and the battlefield.

Again, aren’t Railrunner’s forces and the Fallen fighting in mixed melee? Won’t the fire be burning both forces? Why is he deliberately killing his own forces?

quote:

I felt the power leave me, and I floated back to the earth. I opened my eyes to see that burnt bones littered the ground. Was everyone dead? I looked some more, then one by one our army popped out of the smoldering ashes. The familiar faces of Merrylegs, Static, Chainlink, and Razorblade looked around in confinement.

“Confinement” =/= “Confusion”.

Also, how was the fire able to distinguish between friendly and hostile forces?

quote:

“Railrunner! You saved us.” Static cheered.

“Not quite, Ironwheel is still on the chess board.” I growled as I looked at the castle.

“Oh no. Forgot about that. “Razorblade sighed.

75th sigh of the book.

Also, how do you just “forget” about your primary objective?

quote:

“If Merrylegs and Static would come with me, I think that would be taken care of.” I smiled cunningly.

“Of coarse [sic] igeneral, thank you, it was a privilege to fight along your side.” Razorblade saluted.

“As it was with you.” I replied.

“Now Railrunner, I think you should get going.”

“Message received.”

Hasn’t Merrylegs already needed rescuing not once but twice (the first time from the Fallen bumper car at Trenzon, the second time from the Fallen pirate plane when they were travelling on that ship)? And isn’t it well-established that Static is utterly worthless? What could their presence possibly “take care of”?

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jun 13, 2013

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

"Man, we are gonna LIBERATE the poo poo out of this town."
I can't wait for the climactic battle that will take place in the castle! After Railrunner cradles Thunderbark's corpse of course. Because he's the mentor, ya know?

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

JosephWongKS posted:

Does it even count as a “wood” if the vegetation is so short that you can peek “over” the edge?

No, see, they are looking up over the wood of the dock from in the water. Because it is a wooden dock. Feel free to roll out "a world with technology so advanced" yet again. At least in my own experience, the usage of the word you thought it was going for is generally "woods", but that might just be growing up in a rural area speaking.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

And so Railrunner literally nuked a dimension designed to be a paradise.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

SSNeoman posted:

"Man, we are gonna LIBERATE the poo poo out of this town."
I can't wait for the climactic battle that will take place in the castle! After Railrunner cradles Thunderbark's corpse of course. Because he's the mentor, ya know?

"We had to destroy the town in order to save it."

Oblivion4568238 posted:

No, see, they are looking up over the wood of the dock from in the water. Because it is a wooden dock. Feel free to roll out "a world with technology so advanced" yet again. At least in my own experience, the usage of the word you thought it was going for is generally "woods", but that might just be growing up in a rural area speaking.

They couldn't have been doing that, because they'd both already "climbed onto the dock" before they "peeked over the edge of the wood".

Miranda Leek posted:

Then Razorblade climbed onto the dock at the other side of the river. I soon met him; we peeked over the edge of the wood.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

The illustration for this chapter:

Why are we supposed to think they're the good guys again?

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

JosephWongKS posted:

They couldn't have been doing that, because they'd both already "climbed onto the dock" before they "peeked over the edge of the wood".

Ah, well, uh... new rollercoaster power! Able to generate wooden cover that can be hidden behind at any time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chapter 48 - Twisted Truth

quote:

The lair was fairly easy to sneak into, since all the guards were dead.

Why did they even have to “sneak” into the lair if “all the guards were dead”?

quote:

Now first thing was first, we had to find Thunderbark.

If he’s not already been killed during the indiscriminate destruction unleashed by Railrunner and his murderous cohorts in their “liberation” of Alcator.

quote:

“Where do you suppose he is?” Merrylegs asked.

“Let’s see.” I said. I raised my head and sniffed a load of air. I tried to distinguish the scents from each other; finally I recognized the white roller coaster’s.

“This way!” I said running though the castle’s gloomy halls. I turned this way and that, going down floors and floors. Thunderbark’s scent got stronger and stronger. Then I paused and looked at the room we were about to enter. Cramped cells were closed with extremely heavy iron doors.

Why does the brutal dictator’s stronghold use iron for its dungeon doors when entire buildings in the small town of Trenzon were built of steel?

quote:

“It is a dungeon. Look around, he has to be here!” I said rushing forward looking through each cell’s bars.

How did Railrunner “look through each cell’s bars” when the cells “were closed with extremely heavy iron doors”?

More importantly, how did Miranda Leek forget what she wrote literally one sentence ago? :psyduck:

quote:

Piles of bones were in every one.

Hopefully Thunderbark’s were not part of those piles.

Hasn’t Railrunner already detected Thunderbark’s scent? Doesn’t that already establish that he’s still alive?

quote:

It wasn’t until the last door that I spotted a solid white coaster lying in a crumpled heap in the corner of the cramped room. I knew at once it was Thunderbark.

I stuck my claws completely through the door, and lifted it off the hinges. Then without hesitation, I barged in and kneeled at his side.

Thunderbark slowly raised his head. He looked dreadful; his eyebrows were longer and unkempt. He had a slight beard growing from under his chin. He was skinny and looked beaten, in fact he was covered in bruises and scars.

Shouldn’t the “bruises and scars” be mentioned first if one is trying to describe why he “looked dreadful”? Or does Miranda Leek think that “longer and unkempt” eyebrows” and a “slight beard” is more awful than “bruises and scars”?

Also, Thunderbark already had an “unkempt beard” when he was first introduced back in Chapter One (“Then an old man with long white hair pulled into a low ponytail and a small unkempt beard and mustache advanced toward my position”), so his captivity had nothing to do with said beard.

quote:

“You actually made it, Railrunner.” He [sic] croaked.

“Thunderbark! I am so glad to see you!”

“I take it you defeated his armies?”

“Yes, I figured out the fire fury that you told me. Plus I had some help from a pack of roller coasters.”

“Well done, I knew you could do it. Railrunner,” he said suddenly. “I have to tell you something.” The white coaster said as he shut his eyes in agony.

“What is it?”

“I have thought long and hard while I was here. I need to tell you the truth, and all of it.” Thunderbark said looking up to me in pity.

“What do you mean Thunderbark?” I asked confused.

Railrunner is easily confused.

quote:

“The truth about how your mother died and not a lie. And - how I knew you so well.”

Oh boy, here we go. With the bizarre material once again.

“Oh boy, here we go. With the bizarre material once again” is by no means a normal reaction to a revelation about the death of one’s mother and the fact that the previous tale was a lie. Railrunner is just an out-and-out sociopath in every respect by now.

quote:

“Tell me. Tell me the story.”

“All right. I actually - knew Angeltrack for a while. She was good friends with all of us, in fact she used to be part of our group.”

“She did?” I asked as I raised my eyebrow in bewilderment.

“Yes, as I was saying, one night she disappeared. Then she returned acting eccentric. We knew something was not right at all. Time slowly ticked by, and the old legend of the red roller coaster was starting to come into play. As -.”

“I know.” I cut in. “I know what happens.”

Erm, what? Railrunner doesn’t actually “know what happens”.

quote:

“Good that means I don’t have to speak as much. Well, that was when we found out she was having you.”

“Oh drat here it goes,” I blurted out loud. Thunderbark rolled his eyes, but reluctantly started again.

“Months went by, and we stuck by her side. You allowed her to enter the temple for safe keeping.”

How did Railrunner, who had not yet even been born, “allow” his mother to “enter the temple for safekeeping”?

quote:

“Because no one must know.”

“Exactly. Then at the very end it all went to hell. When she well - delivered. Every coaster in our world knew.”

“Even Ironwheel.”

“Unfortunately. When he heard you had been born, he sent Freakshow and her troops. We found out that they were going to kill us and headed for the real world. And then the worst happened.”

“What?”

“Freakshow caught up to us. Just as we got closer to the portal, Angeltrack stopped and headed in the opposite direction. She then told us that she was going to stall them, in other words, die to save you. But right before she did she told me that I was now considered as - your godfather.”

“What the hell! Why didn’t you tell me earlier?” I said utterly baffled.

“I knew you couldn’t accept it.” Thunderbark sighed.

76th sigh of the book.

quote:

“I’m shocked, I would have never known. This is like finding out you have some deadly illness!”

Tension rising…

quote:

“I know it is a bit hard to comprehend, but it is the truth and all of it. I really should have told you that when I found you, guess I didn’t want to overload your brain. I made a mistake, I know. Can you forgive me, Railrunner?” he said slowly standing.

“Yes, I can.” I said putting my wheels on his lanky shoulder.

And defused two paragraphs later.

quote:

“Good, now I know where Ironwheel’s throne room is. I can take you to it, Railrunner. It is time that the red put him into his place.”

I don’t know about you, but I’m rooting for Ironwheel here.

• Locked thread