Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madoushi
May 9, 2003

Some days, you just get up on the wrong side of the bed...

quote:

“The truth about how your mother died and not a lie. And - how I knew you so well.”

I was expecting the twist to be 'Railrunner, I am your father'. I guess my expectations are finally low enough that Miranda's writing can turn out better than not as terribly as I expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Madoushi posted:

I was expecting the twist to be 'Railrunner, I am your father'. I guess my expectations are finally low enough that Miranda's writing can turn out better than not as terribly as I expected.

How could anyone actually not miss that? We've already seen so many pictures of pregnant Angeltrack and Thunderbark is always close to her. I was aware of that fact before I read the book, and I actually thought that Miranda had retconned the story, until Thunderbark said the story the second time, with another lie twist.

And also:

quote:

“Exactly. Then at the very end it all went to hell. When she well - delivered. Every coaster in our world knew.”

“Even Ironwheel.”

“Unfortunately. When he heard you had been born, he sent Freakshow and her troops. We found out that they were going to kill us and headed for the real world. And then the worst happened.”

So, Railrunner gets born and only the roller coaster trains of the Amusement Park Between get to know it, the moment he does. But the method of letting them know is strange. Apparently Ironwheel "hears" it. So Angeltrack or Railrunner would have had to screamed at a frequency that only roller coaster trains can hear, and also spread across the Amusement Park Between. :psyduck:

Or Miranda didn't realize she wrote "heard" instead of "sensed".

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Iced Cocoa posted:

So, Railrunner gets born and only the roller coaster trains of the Amusement Park Between get to know it, the moment he does. But the method of letting them know is strange. Apparently Ironwheel "hears" it. So Angeltrack or Railrunner would have had to screamed at a frequency that only roller coaster trains can hear, and also spread across the Amusement Park Between. :psyduck:

Or Miranda didn't realize she wrote "heard" instead of "sensed".

Railrunner has already demonstrated that he can create sounds that are heard all across Amusement Park Between, when he roared earlier.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Piell posted:

Railrunner has already demonstrated that he can create sounds that are heard all across Amusement Park Between, when he roared earlier.

Yes, but the difference was that Merrylegs could hear it as well. So unless baby Railrunner instinctively knows how to produce that roar but only so that roller coaster trains could hear, and he had big enough lungs for it, I'm not so sure about that particular roar.

attackbunny
May 1, 2009

quote:

“I’m shocked, I would have never known. This is like finding out you have some deadly illness!”
Question - does the 'you' refer to Thunderbark, or is it like 'finding out one has some deadly illness' so essentially meaning Railrunner himself?

Your Wise Old Mentor actually being your (god)father is not equivalent to getting cancer. Being Railrunner's godfather might well be.

ETA:

"If you'll pardon me for being frank, old chap, this is rather like discovering one has some terrible disease."

attackbunny fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jun 14, 2013

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

"Let's destroy the town and kill its civilians, so we can lure the bad guys out from their castle!"

Ugh. I think I'm going to throw up.

If I do throw up, would you like pictures of the vomit to cleanse your mind? Those rollercoasters have vaginas, you know.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

attackbunny posted:

Your Wise Old Mentor actually being your (god)father is not equivalent to getting cancer. Being Railrunner's godfather might well be.

Yeah, being told that the guy who's been looking after you was told to look after you by your mother isn't all that big of a revelation. It's a bit closer to "Knew your father I did" than "I lied to your face, but only from a certain point of view."

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Ironwheel will kill Thunderbark. Thunderbark's death enrages Railrunner who will kill Ironwheel. He will still be angry and take it out on his comrades. Because of What He Is.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

The tension rising and deflating in one breath are my favorite

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mercedes posted:

Miranda Leek contradicting herself in the space in the space of two sentences is my favourite.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Mercedes posted:

This is something that repeats in the novel. Every single conflict that's within the group of heroes has to be resolved in one chapter, or in the same chapter it arises. We had Thunderbark being mad at Railrunner going to the real world to see his girlfriend, there was the fact that Merrylegs and Static were not happy about Railrunner fighting in the arena. Both those problems were solved in the same chapter. Railrunner being mad at Merrylegs because Thunderbark got kidnapped was a tension that lasted onto the next chapter!

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chapter 49 - Corruption/ Eruption

quote:

We raced through the castle as fast as we possibly could. Ironwheel’s lair was like a maze, confusing to figure out. My heart was high up in my chest, figuratively speaking. I was so nervous about-facing the evil king. Out of everything, I was more fearful of my friends. Even worse I was terrified for Clare.

“So, where were you? I hate to admit, but it took you longer than I expected, Railrunner.” Thunderbark began.

“That was because I killed Freakshow, but received big-time damage to myself, I was in a small coma for a week.”

“Wait a second; did you say that you killed Freakshow?” He asked alarmed as his eyes grew bigger.

“Yeah, I threw her over a cliff.”

“Railrunner- she is still alive. I saw her yesterday when she came to beat me in my cell.” The white coaster said softly. I then got angry.

“How could she have survived our match! More or less a fall of a drat cliff!” I said stopping in the middle of the dark hall. Thunderbark looked at me sincere as Merrylegs and Static both seemed shocked.

I think this is one of the biggest problems with this story – we simply haven’t seen or heard enough examples of evil-doing and villainy by Ironwheel / Freakshow / the Fallen for Railrunner’s homicidal aggression against them to seem justified and proportionate – he just sounds like a psychopathic nutcase when he makes statements like that. An author needs to build up the antagonist at least as much as she does the protagonist.

quote:

“Railrunner, you forgot the most important rule! A roller coaster can only be killed by another coaster! Not even a fall from a five hundred foot tall cliff!”

So why were the “swinging ships” and their cannon-mounted cannons effective against the Fallen during Railrunner’s “liberation” of Alcator?

quote:

“I know! You told me, I think - three times. Guess I should have paid attention.” I said shrugging.

“Well, lets get to Ironwheel’s throne room, it is not much further.” He said running up a set of stairs. I quickly caught up to the coaster and ran by his side. Out of the corner of my eye, I watched him. Thunderbark looked like an oriental dragon with his small beard and eyebrows,

This is an oriental dragon:

This is most decidedly NOT an oriental dragon:

quote:

all he needed was a mustache to pull it off. The fact that he was my godfather, was so - implausible. I had mixed feelings, it was strange, and yet it was exciting all the same. It was kind of well, neat really. I never had a real family and he seemed like he was family, I don’t know , guess he was.

In Chapter 22, Thunderbark told Railrunner that “but when you were adopted we lost track”. What happened to Railrunner’s adoptive parents? Are they not his “family”? Do his 38 years of human life mean absolutely nothing to him at all?

quote:

Then at the top of the stairs was a small room with a circular door. The knob in the middle resembled a skull.

How can you tell it’s a “small” room if the door is closed and you’d never been there before?

quote:

“I hate this place.” Static said.

“Trust me Static, everyone here does,” Merrylegs whispered to him.

I reached for the knob, its surface was hot but it didn’t stop me.

Doors with neither locks, traps or other forms of security are what come to my mind when I think of “technologically advanced society” and “citadel of a tyrannical dictatorship”.

quote:

I turned it slightly, the door slowly swiveled open. The room exited into a great hall full of armor,

Is it a “small room” or a “great hall”? Make up your mind!

quote:

it [sic] lit by small smoldering torches.

“Small smoldering torches” are what comes to my mind when I think of “technologically advanced society”.

quote:

We entered and as soon as I took a whiff, I smelt the worst smell ever. The smell of decaying corpses and
above all that was the foul odor of the Fallen.

I have no doubt that Railrunner is familiar with the smell of “decaying corpses” – he’s created so many of them, after all.

quote:

My heart rate rose rapidly, Ironwheel was just behind the door at the end.

“That is it, Railrunner.” Thunderbark spoke quietly.

“Here we go.” I growled to myself as I walked forward. Thoughts of the dreams I had flashed in my mind. I blinked several times trying to get rid of them. No! I won’t let any of that happen! A splurge of anger and rage went through me like a thousand volts. I grabbed the handles of the big copper doors

“Copper doors” are what comes to my mind when I think of “technologically advanced society”.

quote:

and yanked them open, splitting their hinges as I did so. I snarled as I got my first ever look at Ironwheel.

The king sat upon his throne glaring at me with piercing pupiless red eyes. He was a BIG black roller coaster with silver “tattoos” all over his body.

Of course the “evil villain” of the story is a “BIG black” guy.

quote:

Ironwheel had piercings in his eyebrows and lips, even his nose. Big rings were on his “fingers” that held stones of dark colors. Some of his teeth stuck out of his mouth, including his front canines that made him look like a vampire. He was a complete monster, not from his looks but from all the evil that he had done.

The only actual evil we’ve seen being done is Railrunner’s.

quote:

“Finally the red roller coaster had appeared on my doorstep.” Ironwheel said in a voice that sent shivers down spines. He crept down from his gargoyle stance to the center of the room. He then sat down and lashed his tail back and forth like an angry cat, or should I say panther.

“Where have you been, roller coaster? You’ve kept all these – freaks waiting for decades.” He said taunting me.

I narrowed my eyes in anger. “My name is Railrunner, you rear end in a top hat.” I snarled.

“Hmm,” he laughed. “Spirited, you seem confident, Railrunner.” Ironwheel hissed.

“You are pathetic, pestering me, how childish.”

Railrunner calling other people “childish” – infinite :ironicat:

quote:

He snarled. “You are going to fail, just like Moonblood.”

“I’m not like him, like they all say, I am unique.” I said extracting my claws.

Moonblood was “unique” too, moron.

quote:

“Put those things away, boy. You are wasting your time.”

“I am not.” I said thinking what a stupid comeback that was.

“I am not” really is a stupid comeback. Railrunner finally shows some self-awareness. Progress!

quote:

Ironwheel then stood up from his previous position.

We already know he had been sitting down - you didn’t need to say that he stood up “from his previous position”.

quote:

He extorted his jagged claws, my muscles bulged and I prepared to strike.

List of ways in which various persons and creatures have taken out their claws in this book:

Chapter 4 – “The cat then let out a loud yowl and induced its claws.”

Chapter 5 – “Railrunner extracted his claws and slashed the poor creature’s throat; it fell to its side, dead.”

Chapter 18 - “I faced the remaining humans and activated my claws.”

Chapter 31 – “He broke out his claws and began to rake them across the arm of the stone chair.”

Chapter 37 – “I elicited my claws.”

Chapter 49 – “He extorted his jagged claws…”

quote:

“Any last words before I gut you?” He growled.

“I have a question, what do you want with Clare? Why do you want to kill my love out of all the people in the real world?”

The evil king stared at me bluntly. “Clare? Who is she? This human you speak of is your girlfriend? I will look for her after I’m done with you and am off to the world where humans walk.” Ironwheel laughed.

Wait a minute, did he not even know about Clare! Was I seeing her death because I - told him of her existence! So her death was my fault? Or was Ironwheel lying? Hope it was the second one.

“To [sic] bad you are never going to leave this room!” I roared as I went for him.

We both clashed like titans. I stuck my razor sharp claws into his metal hide. I felt excruciating pain as he slashed me with his. I opened my mouth and enclosed my teeth around his neck.

“Enclosed my teeth around his neck”. :psyduck: Why not just say “bit his neck”?

quote:

Ironwheel screamed in agony, but then he used his huge arms to lift me high into the air. He threw me across the room with great force. I landed with a bang on the stone floor. I turned quickly to see that Ironwheel had a mass of lightning bolts dancing around him. Then he sent them to me, I scrambled out of the way of the bolts then hit the floor with a thundering crack.

Before I could stand, he picked me up again and threw me into a column. I split it and landed in a pile of bones. I got up and barred [sic] my fangs.

“See! You are weak! Just like all the others!”

“I told you! I wasn’t like them!” I said generating a dangerous amount of lightning on my wheels.

Yeah, Railrunner isn’t like the other reds – he is far more mentally and morally defective than the others. Or, at least, I simply can’t imagine anyone being both dumber and nastier than him.

quote:

Like the great Greek god, I sent them raining upon him. They were so amped up that they lit the room in a blinding white light. The bolts hit Ironwheel, knocking him into a wall.

I got on my belly and arched my back like a cat, my restraints vibrating in rage.

“My restraints vibrating in rage”. :lol:

Like I said previously, roller-coaster anatomy makes any fight scene utterly, utterly hilarious.

quote:

I watched Ironwheel pry himself from the wall; I smiled, I was glad to see the jerk in pain. I stood up quickly again and hit him with a blast of fire. Ironwheel disappeared within the inferno, but then he leaped from the flames and onto me. I struck him with hot claws, he yelped in pain, his blood dripping from his wounds. He reared back to hit me with a heavy blow, but I pulled out my sword and pointed it at his chest.

Ironwheel snorted and swung his wheels at the sword, knocking it completely out of my arms. The sword flew across the room, but when it hit the floor the handle broke free. Ironwheel and I turned our attention to it as we watched a scroll tumble out of the inside of the sword’s blade.

“Moonblood!” Ironwheel said as he leaped off me and ran to retrieve the scroll. I watched him unroll it, a wicked grin spread across his face. “What do you know, the missing pages from the book. All of them stitched together just waiting for me.” He laughed. “See you, never!” He said as he burst through the ceiling and out back into Amusement Park Between.

Thunderbark and the others ran into the room. He looked at the roof, to the sword, and at me.

“What happened?” he began with a fearful expression on his face.

“Ironwheel discovered that the missing pages of the book were in the sword all along.” I said picking it up and looking into it.

Tension rising…

quote:

I suddenly spotted another small rolled up piece of paper. I pulled it out and began to read. As I scanned the words and illustration, a big smile spread across my face.

“Thunderbark, there is a way that only a red can make a portal! A portal to where they can go to any park they want!”

And defused in the next two paragraphs. :negative:

quote:

“Well get to it!” He said excited.

I ran to the wall of the room and pulled out a skull, and crushed it into dust like the instructions said. Then I sprinkled them around into a circle. I read more, I then frowned.

“Looks like only a red can travel through this.” I said turning to them.

“Don’t worry, Railrunner. We can meet you there later. I know where another portal to a place that is close to Mystic Park.” Thunderbark spoke.

Why even bother writing a story at all if the protagonists never suffer more than a moment’s inconvenience?

quote:

“Well, okay here I go. Wish me luck.” I said

“We do, Railrunner. Be careful. Whatever you do, don’t do anything stupid.” He laughed.

The moron can’t even remember that only roller-coasters can harm other roller-coasters, and you are expecting him to “don’t do anything stupid”?

quote:

“I won’t Thunderbark, thanks for everything, all of you.”

“You are welcome, but you might want to get going.”

I nodded and breathed in deeply, and then muttered the words that were inscribed on the page. “Hergan duoir fizx saropre bimmesh .”

The portal opened up as a blue pool.

“To Mystic Park,” I said taking a deep breath. Then I leaped into the abyss, leaving behind this twisted world and into the real one.

Note that Static and Merrylegs did not do a single drat thing during the entire break-out of Thunderbark and fight with Ironwheel. They really are completely useless.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

quote:

The evil king stared at me bluntly. “Clare? Who is she? This human you speak of is your girlfriend? I will look for her after I’m done with you and am off to the world where humans walk.” Ironwheel laughed.

So her name's Clare and she lives in the real world? That should narrow down the search.

Notice he never says what he'll do when he finds her. Suggest some good therapists, maybe.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Railrunner is going to burst in on Clare and Ironwheel commiserating over what a jerk he is and murder her in a jealous rage. :smith:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

JosephWongKS posted:

So why were the “swinging ships” and their cannon-mounted cannons effective against the Fallen during Railrunner’s “liberation” of Alcator?
You keep bringing this up, but it's worth mentioning that Fallen aren't all roller coasters. They're a mixed bunch, and probably consist by and large of the "lesser" ride types.

Having the villain shout "See you never!" and leap out of the building in the middle of what really ought to have been the final confrontation suddenly makes me think Luke should have shouted "gently caress off, shitlord!" before falling off the catwalk on Cloud City.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Having the villain shout "See you never!" and leap out of the building in the middle of what really ought to have been the final confrontation suddenly makes me think Luke should have shouted "gently caress off, shitlord!" before falling off the catwalk on Cloud City.

Classic Cinema, as reimagined by Miranda Leek:

Star Wars: A New Hope
Luke knew that he was the last chance at success. He had to hit the exhaust port perfectly or all was lost. But then he hit it perfectly and the Death Star blew up.

Spartacus
"Which one of you is Spartacus?" the Legionnaire sighed. But Spartacus had foreseen this happening and was not there.

Se7en
"What's in the loving box?!" David shouted.
"You were just getting in his way, David, you shouldn't have upset him" his partner sighed.

attackbunny
May 1, 2009

Cuntpunch posted:

Classic Cinema, as reimagined by Miranda Leek:

Star Wars: A New Hope
Luke knew that he was the last chance at success. He had to hit the exhaust port perfectly or all was lost. But then he hit it perfectly and the Death Star blew up.

Spartacus
"Which one of you is Spartacus?" the Legionnaire sighed. But Spartacus had foreseen this happening and was not there.

Se7en
"What's in the loving box?!" David shouted.
"You were just getting in his way, David, you shouldn't have upset him" his partner sighed.

Harry Potter
"Foolish boy, you can never hope to defeat me" Voldemort said.
"I'm not foolish, or a boy," Harry comebacked, and shot a concussion beam out of his mouth. Voldemort was killed immediately and all his soulbending things exploded.
"Harry that was amazing." said Ginny, and then they had touching and heavy makeouts.

Life of Pi
After the shipwreck, Pi realised he was in a lifeboat with a giant Bengal Tiger. "This is bad," he said, but then the tiger had a heart attack and died and the ship washed up on an island full of anthropomorphic roller coasters who made Pi their king.

Pride and Prejudice
It is a truth universally greeted that only a man in possession of a good fortune must have an appetite for a woman, which is why Mr Darcy married Elizabeth.

The Iliad
Sing, goddess, of the wrath of Achilles, after his friend died and he got mad and killed all the Greeks. Paris tried to shoot him in the foot with a gun but Achilles was immune to being shot with guns, so instead he ate Paris, killed all the Trojans with lightningbending and conquered Troy.

The Bell Jar
It was a queer, sultry summer, the summer they electrocuted the Rosenbergs, and I didn't know what I was doing in New York.
"Railrunner, what am I doing in New York?" I sighed.
"Who gives a crap," Railrunner said crudely.
"I love you, Railrunnr," I said.

The Great Gatsby
In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I’ve been turning over in my mind ever since. Whenever you feel like criticising any one, he told me, just remember that all the people in this world haven’t got the advantages that you’ve got. So I wiped out West Egg with a concussion beam and moved into Jay Gatsby's house where I threw lots of parties and everyone agreed I was super awesome.

Metamorphosis
As Gregor Samsa awoke one morning from uneasy dreams he found himself transformed in his bed into an anthropomorphic roller coaster. "This is great" he said.

The Old Man and the Sea

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days now without taking a fish. But then he caught a fish.

Nineteen-Eighty-Four
It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen, so Railrunner fixed the clocks and went back to ruling Airstrip One.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Agreed. The worst part is I can see Miranda thinking "man, I am SO clever!" while she's writing that line.

Ironwheel still seems cooler than Railrunner. I mean he was respectful to Railrunner before the fight began, and his harshest insult was "you're weak!"
I'm also kind of feeling bad for Static since he's the only one calling Big Red out on his bullshit and everyone, the author included, shits on him for it. He still thoughtlessly murdered policemen, but that's par for the course at this point.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

And now that Railrunner and Ironwheel are back in the real world, how big do you think the body count will be? Or who is going to kill someone first?

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Iced Cocoa posted:

And now that Railrunner and Ironwheel are back in the real world, how big do you think the body count will be? Or who is going to kill someone first?

My bet is that Railrunner kills at least a dozen police officers who were "in his way" and then gets to Clare's house and she doesn't have a scratch on her.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Interlude - Fatal Attraction

quote:

He moved like lightning before the storm, dodging his enemy. Over and over again he attacked; again and again he missed. He thundered across the rails at blinding speeds. It came to his mind that this was a fight that he did not know if he could win or not. It was a fight that would determine everything.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

I'm expecting to see Ironwheel trying to take Clare to a safe location (i.e. away from Railrunner) but being heroically slain in the process :smith:

Even if he kills her, it's a better fate than leaving her alive and having to deal with Rodney for the rest of her life. Though that life wouldn't be very long, since this is Railrunner we're talking about. Is it morally acceptable to kill someone if you know that their future contains nothing but torture?

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dreggon posted:

I'm expecting to see Ironwheel trying to take Clare to a safe location (i.e. away from Railrunner) but being heroically slain in the process :smith:

Even if he kills her, it's a better fate than leaving her alive and having to deal with Rodney for the rest of her life. Though that life wouldn't be very long, since this is Railrunner we're talking about. Is it morally acceptable to kill someone if you know that their future contains nothing but torture?

Oh a related note, I'd like to warn everyone reading this thread that the spousal abuse apologism subtext is particularly strong in the next chapter.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chapter 50 – Reunion

quote:

It felt like I had fallen into a dunk tank. You expected it to come and yet you didn’t.

If you’ve already fallen into the dunk tank, wouldn’t the issue of “expectation” be entirely moot?

quote:

The water surrounded me faster than ever before, like a ferocious beast was swallowing me. I felt the water rush by me, I now realized I was traveling in a current. I waited still, letting it take me.

As I moved, I comprehended that my body was not changing. It did not compress and shrink like it had before. My body remained stable; it didn’t change into its human form. Maybe in the real world it was still night. That could be either a good thing or bad thing.

As I held my breath, my lungs began to hurt. I started to stress, what would happen if I didn’t make it? Hopefully that would not transpire. Then I opened my eyes out of force and worry, to my relief I saw that the blue water brightened. I kicked hard, tiring [sic] to speed up the process. Then my wheels touched something, a floor. My seats poked up out of the surface of the water. It grew shallower, and then there was not but a foot deep up ahead. Suddenly I stopped on a dime. I rose my head up out of the water, to see that I was back in Mystic Park.

I looked around to discover that I lay in the wave pool. The water rolled in gentle tides against my metal. I slowly stood to get a better look at things. I was still a roller coaster, not human. The moon hung high in the misty sky. I had been right, when Amusement Park Between was experiencing day, the real world had night and vice versa.

I walked from the wave pool and dried instantly,

New roller coaster power – ability to dry off instantly after a shower.

quote:

and then I had a thought. When I become human I would be wearing the same clothes I had when I last changed.

This contradicts Chapter 4, where during Railrunner’s first transformation, “[He] was getting bigger; thread-by-thread [his] clothes came apart”, as well as the picture of his transformation in Chapter 8:

quote:

That was way back when the FBI bombarded my house. If I transformed, I would be wearing the exact same clothes, meaning the humans would be able to track me down easier. Then I had an idea.

I started to break for the ride warehouse; I had remembered that it was near the middle of the midway but behind several buildings and rides. I knew Mystic Park stored the ride vehicles there for the winter and all the décor for the park. I also retrieved faint images of engineer uniforms. I could take mine, and when I turned human, I could change into one of those. Plus I would have my trench coat that would become a hoodie.

Even Railrunner’s roller-coaster clothes get the deus ex machine power to transform into human-sized and –shaped clothes. :negative:

quote:

The ride warehouse was right where I thought it was. The building was old and rusty. It had a dull grey color and was surrounded by thick weeds.

I opened the garage door, almost bending the metal as I lifted it from the bottom. The inside was pitch black, a human could not see past their nose, but I was much different. I could see everything as if it were day.

This contradicts Chapter 23, where “Thunderbark and [Railrunner] decided to tour the inside of the temple. [They] walked up about thirty stairs or so into the temple’s actual entrance. It was dark and [Railrunner] couldn’t see but three feet in front of my nose”.

quote:

I walked along the concrete floor. There was a section where every type of ride was housed. Parts sat on shelves gathering dust as the long cool months slowly rolled by.

Does Thunderbark – who is responsible for the maintenance, or lack thereof, of the amusement park – want more amusement park rides to be neglected and become Fallen in Amusement Park Between?

quote:

I passed a roller coaster with its upstop wheels removed and sitting on a platform like a car that was being worked on. I looked long and hard at it, wondering what it would be like in the future. It was somewhat funny that Amusement Park Between somehow knew that rides were being stored for the cold months. It was like the spirits could tell when they were wanted and unwanted.

This is the closest that Miranda Leek comes close to acknowledging just how dumb her method of populating Amusement Park Between is.

quote:

I looked at the lead car and tilted my head in amusement.

“You and I are alike in many ways, but yet we are different.” I said to it, funny I was talking to one that wasn’t even living.

The two of you are different in that one of you is far, far worse than the other.

quote:

I turned around and began to continue my search for the uniforms. From across the room, I spotted them along the wall behind a carousel horse that leaned against the bricks. I looked for my name among the navy suits, but I forgot that I was looking for my fake name.

“Fake name”, he calls it. The name he’s lived with for 38 years (and not a slave name like those of the Unsullied in A Song of Ice and Fire or a numerical ID like those given to prisoners) is a “fake name”.

quote:

I found it at the end of the rack; I held it up to see that on the front pocket my “name” was stitched in bright neon letters. I found it above the words, roller coaster engineer and Mystic Park. I took it along with my coat and rolled it up into a tight ball, and tucked it away under one of my seats. I then started my search for Clare.

I ran along the deserted streets of the real world.

What’s the point of finding new clothes for his human form if he’s going to stay in his roller-coaster form?

quote:

It seemed that the night here was lifeless, except for the chirping of crickets and the fluttering moths. I looked back; Mystic Park started to disappear in the black of the night. I paused and looked at my surroundings. I stared at the clock tower in the not so far distance; it read two am. That meant that it was in the afternoon in Amusement Park Between. It would probably take Ironwheel several days to arrive. Thunderbark predicted that the king would pick the portal of Mystic Park, because it was the simplest to find.

Um, what? Railrunner arrived at the portal in Mystic Park too, so if Ironwheel picks the same portal, wouldn’t he arrive at the same time as Railrunner? :psyduck:

Miranda Leek has achieved the impossible – she’s contradicted herself within one sentence.

quote:

As I continued to look around I heard the sound of an approaching car. I got out of the road and into the bushes.

These must be some mighty large bushes, to be able to conceal a twenty-foot long, twenty-thousand pound roller coaster.

quote:

A light blue convertible whizzed past me. I recognized it easily as Clare’s. What was she doing out this early? I didn’t hesitate; I decided to follow her.

Clare didn’t drive very far, only to the corner gas station. I hid behind the car wash and watched as Clare parked by the air pump.

Isn’t Railrunner still in his roller-coaster form at this point? Is the typical US gas station large enough to hide a twenty-foot long, twenty-thousand pound vehicle? Or are only gas stations in Tennessee constructed on that grandiose scale? Am I getting Tennessee confused with Texas for that state where everything is larger?

quote:

She emerged out into the lot. Clare was perfectly dressed and looking normal. She walked into the gas station, a man smoking a cigarette watched her silently as he leaned against his truck that had seen better days. Suspicion swelled up inside of me, why was he looking at her like that?

“You can’t let yourself be looked at by another man,” said the controlling boyfriend to his long-suffering girlfriend.

quote:

Then Clare exited the store with two beers in her hand. Her nerves must be bad; Sly had even mentioned that when I rode with him in his truck as he drove me to her house.

Jumping from “buying a couple of beers” to “her nerves must be bad” is an impressive leap of logic.

quote:

Then Clare fiddled with her keys and finally opened her car to put the beers in the seat. The wind picked up suddenly and blew her door shut. Clare sighed and searched through her keys again.

77th sigh of the book.

quote:

Out of the corner of my eye I saw the man walk over to her. My senses told me that something was about to happen. The man looked sort of intoxicated as he tapped on her shoulder. Clare turned around in surprise.

“Hello there miss, you look beautiful this morning.”

“Ummm - thanks.” Clare spoke nervously.

“How about you and I visit my place and share those beers?” He said as he leaned casually against her car.

“Rather not.” Clare said opening it back up.

“Come on!” The man said grabbing her shoulder.

“Quit it! Leave me alone!” she cried, struggling from his grasp. This made me VERY angry. I let out a tremendous growl. The man and Clare looked around in alarm.

“What in the hell was that?”

Clare raised her eyebrows; she somehow knew it was me. “Railrunner.” She whispered under her breath.

“What?” He said shaking her shoulders again.

Clare looked him deep in the eyes. She smirked. “You are in for it.” She replied under her breath.

With her words, I sprang forward. I landed and grabbed the man by the neck. I snarled in his face as he choked from my tight grip.

Isn’t he still in roller-coaster form at this point? Does he now suddenly not care about being exposed in public and the police and FBI tracking him down?

quote:

“What do you want with me!” the man screamed.

“Stay away from my girl.” I said through clenched teeth. I tightened my hold on his neck, his eyes seemed to bulge, and I found that amusing.

List of other things Railrunner has found “amusing:

Chapter 4 – “Railrunner crossly walked up to the police. They began to fire, their bullets simply bouncing off of him. He then grabbed the front bumper of the cruiser, and tossed it like a toy. It smashed into another car. Railrunner flung an officer out of his way and roared in sheer amusement. Within a blink of an eye he obliterated the small police force.”

Chapter 27 – “I began to walk up her perfectly paved sidewalk, when Mittens jumped out and hissed at me. I rolled my eyes and barred a set of gleaming white fangs at the cat. Its hair stood on end as it ran away yowling. I smiled a little in amusement.”

Chapter 47 – “My beam’s aftershocks badly damaged the city, again I found myself laughing in pure amusement.”

No, seriously, how does Miranda Leek not see what a deeply unpleasant, nasty, disgusting character she has created in Railrunner?

quote:

I roared in his face, upsetting everyone around. I turned and slung the dim man through the gas station’s windows.

So much for not wanting to draw attention to himself.

quote:

I snorted in his direction and then turned to Clare.

“Railrunner”! She said running up to me. Her arms wrapped around my body in a hug. She then rested her head on my hot metal. I carefully gave her a return hug.

If Clare “rested her head on [Railrunner’s] hot metal”, then this confirms that he had indeed been in his roller-coaster form during the previous scene. So why does no one else in the vicinity panicking by the re-appearance of the murderous monster roller coaster? And why did Railrunner go to so much trouble to find a disguise in the first place if he never bothered to change into his human form?

quote:

“Um, Railrunner, you’re sort of crushing me.”

“Sorry, Clare.” I said letting go. She stood up strait [sic] and popped her back, and then she smiled.

“I really missed you.” She smiled.

“I did too.” I replied, then I glanced at her car, it was completely totaled. “Oh crap, I’m sorry about your car too.” I said scratching my neck. I suddenly became nervous that she would be angry with me.

She unexpectedly laughed. “That’s all right; it was getting up there in miles anyway.”

“It’s all right if he destroys my property in a fit of jealousy – that just means he really loves me and cares for me,” said the battered spouse of her possessive husband.

quote:

“Shall I give you a ride home then?”

“That would be wonderful.” Clare said climbing onto my back and situating herself. “This is one nice vehicle.” She said leaning on my hood.

More confirmation that he’s in roller-coaster form, and neither Railrunner nor any of the on-lookers seem to care.

quote:

“Very funny, Clare. You know most people can’t stand me.” I said with a classic crooked smile.

Most people can’t stand you because you indulge in indiscriminate murder and destruction.

quote:

Then I heard the sound of sirens, which meant it was curtain call. Clare and I left silently toward her house.

What does it matter if they leave quietly, when Railrunner is still in his bright red, twenty-foot long, twenty-thousand pound roller-coaster form?

quote:

I walked quietly with Clare among the empty streets. Minutes ticked by as we talked in conversation.

“Talked in conversation”.

quote:

“So Railrunner, what brings you back?”

My blood ran cold. “It is one of things that I would rather say later. In a more private area if you know what I mean.”

“There is no one out here, Railrunner.”

I looked to the ground wondering what to say next. “Clare, something bad is about to happen.”

“What?” She spoke quietly.

“It involves you.” I swallowed.

She grew silent like her cat had a hold of her tongue.

“Tell me.” She whispered.

I let out a long sigh as Clare hopped off of me and glared at my eyes. She was expecting an answer.

78th sigh of the book.

quote:

“Ironwheel is coming here, and he will be looking for you.” I gulped. “I am going to guard you, be your bodyguard in other words.”

She put her hand on my cheek. I looked at her intently. There was a short pause as we stared into each other’s eyes.

“Thank you, I think you can beat him. You are the most vicious roller coaster I ever knew, but most of all the bravest.”

“You are the greatest and most beautiful human I ever met.” I laughed.

“Thanks, now I have something for you at my house.”

He's the only roller-coaster you "ever knew", moron. Also, what thesaurus is Miranda Leek reading such that she thinks “vicious” is a compliment?

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jun 17, 2013

attackbunny
May 1, 2009

quote:

Also, what thesaurus is Miranda Leek reading such that she thinks “vicious” is a compliment?

Synonyms for 'vicious' include abandoned, abhorrent, atrocious, bad, barbarous, base, contaminated, cruel, dangerous, debased, degenerate, degraded, demoralized, depraved, diabolical, faulty, ferocious, fiendish, flagitious, foul, heinous, immoral, impious, impure, indecent, infamous, iniquitous, insubordinate, lewd, libidinous, licentious, miscreant, monstrous, nefarious, perverse, profligate, putrid, reprehensible, reprobate, rotten, savage, sinful, unprincipled, untamed, vile, villainous, violent, wicked, wild, worthless. All of which are things Failrunner is.

'Ferocious', maybe?

Railrunner has rescued Clare from dangerous situations twice. The first time, she was being menaced by a group of five men who called her 'sweetcheeks'; the second time, it's a guy who gets handsy and wants her to come back to his place. Considering that these situations are set up specifically so Railrunner can save her, it's significant that Clare can't be chased by an escaped tiger or accidentally drive into a river or threatened with a traffic ticket. The implication of sexual violence is apparently essential. That leaves two options: either Clare is such a fuckdoll it never occurred to Miranda that she could be subjected to non-sexualised violence, or Railrunner isn't really defending Clare, he's defending his property from other men. As soon as she breaks up with him, or he leaves, aggressive dudes start to crawl out of the woodwork, and Railrunner has to come swooping back in and violently reestablish his territory rights.

The question would be whether the same holds for violence directed against other women adult female amusement park rides. All I remember is that when Freakshow turned up to fight Railrunner last time she 'wore nothing but a smile'.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

I wish I could say we've seen most if not all the abhorrent spousal abuse subtext and how Clare is like a complete and utter fuckdoll only for Railrunner's gratification. But no, Miranda had to add that last thing that's only there to serve Railrunner and no one else, especially not Clare. :smith:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

JosephWongKS posted:

Isn’t Railrunner still in his roller-coaster form at this point? Is the typical US gas station large enough to hide a twenty-foot long, twenty-thousand pound vehicle? Or are only gas stations in Tennessee constructed on that grandiose scale? Am I getting Tennessee confused with Texas for that state where everything is larger?

"Grandiose?" Twenty feet isn't all that much when you're talking about a vehicle. A compact car could be over 14 feet long, and the smallest kind of semi-trailer is 28 feet long without the truck. A 20-foot-long roller coaster could hide in the car wash, easily. Really the crazy part is how the train manages to weigh 10 tons when that same 14-foot car is only one and a quarter tons.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

And where did that 20 feet long thing came to begin with? The first mention of it as far as I can see is when JWKS is doing the review of chapter 11. I can't see anything prior to that at least. If anything I imagine Railrunner being twenty-feet tall when standing on the big legs on car four.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

"Grandiose?" Twenty feet isn't all that much when you're talking about a vehicle. A compact car could be over 14 feet long, and the smallest kind of semi-trailer is 28 feet long without the truck. A 20-foot-long roller coaster could hide in the car wash, easily. Really the crazy part is how the train manages to weigh 10 tons when that same 14-foot car is only one and a quarter tons.

Ah yes, my bad. I'd been thinking Railrunner was 20 metres long even as I was writing "twenty-foot long".

EDIT: I went back to check and it seems like I've been getting Railrunner's dimensions wrong for a long time. Railrunner is seventeen-foot tall, not twenty-foot long. Mea culpa.

quote:

The exhausted man sat silently for a brief minute before he answered with his voice shaky.

“You’re not going to believe this, but it was a roller coaster.”

Black begun to choke on his cigarette.

“Sir, have you been drinking?”

“Heavens no! It was a roller coaster! A mutant roller coaster! It was unlike anything I’ve ever seen! It was red and about seventeen feet tall. It had two cat-like eyes and a nose like a snakes [sic]. its teeth were like a wolves [sic] and it could roar like a tiger!” He protested.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jun 17, 2013

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

That clears things up. So I decided to figure out how long he was really.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

A trench-coat was bad enough, but how does a suit even fit around something whose back is a series of open boxes filled with seats?

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

JosephWongKS posted:

Um, what? Railrunner arrived at the portal in Mystic Park too, so if Ironwheel picks the same portal, wouldn’t he arrive at the same time as Railrunner? :psyduck:

Miranda Leek has achieved the impossible – she’s contradicted herself within one sentence.

I hate to say it, but this one's on you. Railrunner made a red-only portal for himself after Ironwheel headed out to what is likely the portal Railrunner first entered Amusement Park Between with, so Ironwheel does supposedly have several days travel ahead of him. Not only that, but the wave pool isn't even the same exit point:

Chapter 18 posted:

Thunderbark walked to a Jacuzzi. The water within it was glowing bright blue, and you couldn’t see the bottom of the tub like all the others.

Chapter 50 posted:

I looked around to discover that I lay in the wave pool. The water rolled in gentle tides against my metal.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oblivion4568238 posted:

I hate to say it, but this one's on you. Railrunner made a red-only portal for himself after Ironwheel headed out to what is likely the portal Railrunner first entered Amusement Park Between with, so Ironwheel does supposedly have several days travel ahead of him. Not only that, but the wave pool isn't even the same exit point:

First the confusion between metres and feet, then the long-running mistake about Railrunner's height / length, and now the mistake about the portals. I... I think reading Twisted may be destroying my mind.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

JosephWongKS posted:

A trench-coat was bad enough, but how does a suit even fit around something whose back is a series of open boxes filled with seats?

Its also pretty well fitting considering he's got some extra sets of limbs underneath those clothes.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

^^^^ There are six limbs to be exact hiding in that suit.

JosephWongKS posted:

(far right)

I dunno, looks like the seats disappear because of magic. Probably the same way the limbs do.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chapter 51 - Scripted and Unscripted

quote:

Clare and I moved silently through her neighborhood. It was now five in the morning and still no one stirred. The only things that did were dogs, cats, and the occasional scurry of a mouse. The sky was turning lighter as I felt my strength drain from me, I would be human any time now.

Given that Railrunner able to leisurely stroll into a populated residential area without the police or FBI coming after him, we can assume that no one at the gas station had raised the alarm at the re-appearance of a twenty seventeen-foot long tall, twenty-thousand pound, sadistic mass murdering roller coaster, which in turn means that Railrunner must have brutally slaughtered everyone at the gas station before he left. That’s one more atrocity that he’s going to have to pay for. :argh:

quote:

I carefully climbed over Clare’s fence and into her small back yard. She got out of my seat and dug in her purse, once again seeking her keys. Then her cat walked out from behind an old pot, and hissed at me. I barred [sic] my teeth and hissed back loudly, making Clare jump.

“Railrunner! You are going to have to warn me next time [no full stop]

“I think I scared your cat more.” I chuckled.

Does Miranda Leek think that such behaviour is endearing?

quote:

“Do roller coasters not get along with cats?” she asked finally finding her keys.

“I don’t know; I think we get along with dogs better, if they are friendly of coarse [sic].”

There’s “not getting along with cats”, and then there’s “Before the poor creature ever had a chance to get away, it fell victim to the demon coaster’s jaws” (Chapter 4) and “I rolled my eyes and barred a set of gleaming white fangs at the cat. Its hair stood on end as it ran away yowling. I smiled a little in amusement” (Chapter 27).

quote:

She laughed as she opened her back door. “You coming?” she asked.

“Wouldn’t it be better if I was human first?”

Isn’t it more a matter of “Wouldn’t I be unable to fit in the door unless I was human first?” Or has Clare already re-built her house to fit a roller-coaster in the weeks since Railrunner left for Amusement Park Between?

quote:

“Oh right, forgot. I guess come in when you are ready, that gives me time to get your surprise.” She smiled.

I nodded in reply and looked to the horizon. In the far off distance I could see the faint rays of the sun. Then the whole process started. A rippling pain went across my back as my head throbbed. My wheels singed and my ribs hurt. I felt everything compress and shrink. Metal softened and changed color as locks of jet-black hair went over my face. The transformation quickened and soon it all stopped. I was “Rodney” once again.

I slowly got up and looked at my hands, human hands. It was weird not seeing sets of wheels; fingers just looked so fragile. Being human was weird, really weird as I now saw it. I then walked into her kitchen, still tidy as ever. I looked around for Clare, but I didn’t see her.

“Clare?” I called.

“Sorry, Railrunner. I’m back here.” She announced from in the bedroom. I walked down her long narrow hallway into her master where she stood holding a box. She handed it to me and waited for me to open it. I popped off the lid to find a set of keys; I realized they went to my Mustang.

“You got back my car?” I asked puzzled.

“Yes, it is in the garage, I figured you would need it during the day.”

I hope Clare is arrested and punished for sheltering and aiding a terrorist.

quote:

“Thanks,” I said. “Clare do you mind if I do a wardrobe change?”

“I don’t, do you have anything to change into?”

“Yeah, I’ll be back in a second.”

Minutes later I walked into Clare’s living room with my uniform on.

The trench coat became a large leather jacket that I held in my hand.

Ayup, of course the trench-coat has magical shape-changing powers too.

quote:

Clare looked up from messing with her DVD player and laughed.

“Hate to say it, but that looks very conspicuous.” She said giggling.

“Well, I guess I could still wear the jeans.” I sighed. “You wouldn’t happen to have any really big shirts that could fit me?”

79th sigh of the story.

And Railrunner continues to demonstrate the vast ineptitude for which he is well known -– despite 38 years living in human society, he still didn’t realize that a roller-coaster engineer uniform doesn’t really cut it as a “disguise”, especially when the police and FBI are already aware that Rodney / Railrunner is a roller coaster engineer.

quote:

“I think I have the shirt that I was going to give you as a Christmas present. I’ll go get it, you need it anyway.” She said running into the bedroom again. She came back with a black t-shirt with a guitar on it.

“Hope you like it.” Clare smiled slightly as she handed it to me.

“I didn’t get you anything, though.” I shrugged.

“Don’t be ridiculous, you [sic] presence is enough.” Clare said returning to the DVD player.

Don’t be ridiculous, Clare. Railrunner isn’t embarrassed or guilty – “shrugging” is something you do when you are indifferent or nonchalant. Railrunner doesn’t care that he didn’t get you anything.

quote:

I quickly changed again and found her on the couch. She was wrapped in a blanket and sipping coffee.

“Come watch this movie with me, I think you might like it even though it was made in 1977. I haven’t actually watched it myself; I wanted to watch it with you so I waited.”

“What is it called?” I asked sitting next to her.

“I bought it at a used movies place, it is called Roller Coaster.”

“Fancy that.” I laughed.

Rollercoaster (1977 film)

Rollercoaster is a 1977 disaster-suspense film starring George Segal, Richard Widmark, Henry Fonda and Timothy Bottoms. It was directed by James Goldstone; the film's musical score was written by Lalo Schifrin. It was originally shown in Sensurround which caused audience seats to vibrate during certain periods during the "thrill scenes" on the rides. Despite having been released in the summer of 1977, and being overlooked in favor of the smash hit Star Wars, it went on to be a moderate success at the box office.

quote:

Clare then pressed play and the movie began. Thirty minutes into it, and I knew the storyline. It was about a brainless terrorist who blew up coasters just for money. The special effects were probably state of the art back then, but now it was cheesy.

“This offending you, Railrunner? If it is I’m sorry. I didn’t know it was like this, I’ll take it out if you want.”

“I’d like to kick that guy’s rear end.” I muttered staring at his face on the screen. “That bastard doesn’t even know what he is creating.”

“What?” she asked.

“Fallens.”

Says the monster who wantonly destroyed a ferris wheel in Chapter 18:

“I stood at the foot of the giant ferris wheel seconds later. I looked up its steel structure; it seemed to teeter in the wind. It was like climbing up a big spider web, I thought as I went up it. The metal beams creaked and stressed under my weight. This thing wasn’t built like a roller coaster track. It felt like it would snap and fall over at any moment…

Then the ferris wheel let out a loud creak of despair.”

quote:

“I forgot what those were and how the rides came about, could you tell me again.” Clare asked sheepishly.

No need to be sheepish about this, Clare. Your moron of a boyfriend is so dumb, he can’t even remember simple and vital facts like “Roller coasters can only be harmed by other roller coasters”.

What you should be sheepish about is the fact that you apparently still think that Rodney / Railrunner is a great person / creature, despite the vast mountains of evidence to the contrary.

quote:

“Sure. As you know, the rides in Amusement Park Between come from your world. The ones that are good come from being in storage when they are no longer needed. The ones that are evil have been destroyed in the real word, we call them the Fallen.”

What happens when an amusement park ride in storage subsequently gets decommissioned and recycled for scrap metal? Does a “good” ride suddenly turn into a Fallen? I don’t think this has ever been explained in the book.

quote:

“Oh I remember now, and you were the only one that was created different. The only one that was born.”

That reminded me. “Clare, I need to tell you something that I just recently learned.”

“Go ahead, Railrunner.”

“Well, I found out the truth about me. It is really weird so just play along.”

“Trust me Railrunner I have seen stuff that is beyond weird.” She laughed. I knew exactly what she meant.

“Good we are on the same page then; I am the - well, mixture of Amusement Park Between and real blood. This is really hard to explain.” I said as I scratched my head in deliberation.

“I’ll try to understand the best I can.” She smiled tenderly.

“Okay, Thunderbark, the white roller coaster, Merrylegs and the little bumper car, Static, knew my mother very well. When they discovered I was, this is stupid, coming as some would say, my mother had to be hidden for her own safety. When time passed and finally I was born, all went into turmoil. You see, when I had arrived, every coaster knew, including Ironwheel. He sent his armies to kill me and everyone involved. We left to the real world, but soon Freakshow, Ironwheel’s best general, was hot on our trail. My mother, Angeltrack, sacrificed herself to buy us some time, to save us in other words.”

“That is really sad; I shouldn’t have even bribed you to tell me.” Clare said leaning on my shoulder and looking to the floor.

When did Clare even offer a “bribe” to Railrunner?

quote:

“It was something you should have known anyway. But the freakiest part of the whole thing was what Angeltrack said before she left us.”

“What?”

I gulped. “She made Thunderbark my - godfather.” Clare then smiled.

Again, how and why is this “freaky”, let alone the “freakiest part of the whole thing”?

quote:

“What do you know, you had a little family and you did not even know about it!” she laughed almost spilling her coffee.

Again, everyone simply ignores Railrunner’s human parents.

quote:

“Am I the only one who thinks this is dumb!” I said throwing my arms into the air. Clare looked at me a brief second, then continued.

“I have to admit, it is a bit strange, but it is the truth and it is real.” She said laying her hand on my shoulder.

How does Clare know that “it is the truth and it is real”? She wasn’t even there when Thunderbark related his story to Railrunner, let alone at the time and place when the events in question were alleged to have occurred.

quote:

I sighed. “I just have to accept it I guess. I only found this out a few hours ago, I’m just flabbergasted about it.” I chuckled slightly, putting my arm around her.

80th sigh of the story.

quote:

We continued to view the rest of the movie. It was long that was for sure! At least this was a good moment with her though.

Wikipedia and IMDB say Roller Coaster is 119 minutes long. That’s hardly long for a contemporary movie. Has Railrunner never seen a movie before during his 38 years as a human?

quote:

“Do you [missing the word “think”] this life is a disaster movie?” I asked as the credits rolled. “It sure feels like it with everything that has happened to me.”

Surely Railrunner means “… everything I have happened to”.

quote:

“No, I think it is more of an adventure movie. Your life has every aspect of one. Action, suspense, romance, a destiny.” Clare smiled to herself.

Miranda Leek apparently thinks this story has movie-adaptation potential. :lol:

quote:

“You are right, Clare. As you are always right.” I replied in a smooth tone.

“I am not.” She laughed quietly, leaning towards my lips, I went the rest of the way and the next second we locked in a kiss; something that I had not had in a long time. It was so very, lovely.

Then there was a loud knock at the door. We stopped, fearing the worst.

Oh thank [deity of choice] for the interruption of the impending sex touching-and-making-out scene.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jun 18, 2013

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's detective Black, here to take revenge on Railrunner for mildly injuring him. :black101:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

As he led Detective Black through a claustrophobic concrete corridor, the foreman began his tour. "You've already seen the warehouse where we ship our products out into the world at large. You must have come down on one of our three magic elevators which connect to facilities across the globe. We're careful to remodel and restock only after midnight when the local rides are all asleep, but what with how your average planet works the lifts are in full use every hour of the day."

"Connect anywhere, eh? So would I be able to use the lifts to get around?" Black asked.

"I'm sorry, Detective, but the elevators are for authorized personnel only. If you didn't get in here with the help of an authorized gnome, then I assure you your use of the lift was a fluke in timing. Besides, you'd need the seven-digit code that connects our warehouse to each facility, and we don't leave those lying around just anywhere."

"What about that manhole that was next to the elevator?"

"Maintenance ladder. For maintenance gnomes only." Black nodded his understanding and the foreman opened the door at the far end of the hallway. Following the gnome, Black found himself on another catwalk that encircled a massive room filled with assembly lines, pressing machines, pallets of boxes, and identically dressed gnomes directing devices whose functions the detective could only hope to guess at. "This is our product packaging center!" Black's guide declared, sweeping his arm across the room with a grandiose wave. "Here we merge our various finished products with all the bottles, cans, boxes, and packages we craft to house them for final consumption. From here it's just a hop, skip, and jump away from the warehouse and final delivery. Follow me, detective!"

Over the next several hours, the warehouse foreman showed Detective Black through an uncountable number of chambers and factories. Everything Black could conceive of was created in one place or another, from artificially aged bourbon (along with carefully weathered bottles to house the liquor) to plastic carrots to building facades which somehow housed real buildings in the empty space behind them. Even the "real" trees Black had encountered during his hike were carefully cultivated in underground greenhouses before being transplanted to painstakingly determined spots on the surface. "Every need and want of our clients is taken care of here," the foreman bragged. "When a new client arrives with new expectations, every gnome knows how to craft what they desire before the end of the day and full implementation is in place before the end of the week. I'll admit our production picked up after the Industrial Revolution got up to speed in your world, but the dedication has been here since day one."

"So what do the rides do for themselves?" Black asked as he watched a crane operator lift a wide building assembly onto a flatbed truck. "I saw one acting as a bartender before I came down here."

"Oh, we give them places to play around in, both as humans and as their other forms. Still, playing isn't enough for most clients. They want to contribute, to feel useful to their societies. That's something I can understand, myself. Some of them work as entertainers or artists, but most of them pick a goods distribution center--sorry, a 'shop'--and act as proprietor and salesperson. They then pay each other in arcade tokens and everyone feels better about themselves. They seem to be using them more often now than ever before, too."

"Hmm. So you said earlier that you've been ready to go since 'day one,' right? You mind if I ask when 'day one' was?"

The gnome frowned and considered the question. "None of us really know. We all just appeared one day, fully aware of ourselves and the jobs we had to perform for our clients. We're all of us perfectly skilled in whatever job we have to do when we do them, and no more. Secretaries and bosses like myself are smarter than the rest, and I think the other bosses sometimes wonder how we got here like I do, but we're all too busy to talk about anything but our work during our meetings. I figure there must be some higher power out there, mortal or immortal, who built this place as a haven for amusement rides and other communally loved objects, but I just can't figure out what that power might have been."

Black and the gnome stared out into the factory for a while, each lost in his own thoughts.

"How would you like to see our latest secret project?" the foreman asked, regaining his chipper attitude. "Of course, it's not that much of a secret considering the only people who know about our headquarters facility are us gnomes--oh, and now you, Detective--but we do try to keep an air of mystique around our big projects. Come on, it's not far!"

The gnome ran off and Detective Black hustled to keep up with him. Chasing him down another branching corridor with so many lefts and rights that Black would have been lost on his own, the two finally came to a stop in front of yet another unassuming steel door. This time when the foreman opened the door he gestured for Black to enter first. Moving inside, Rick found himself in the largest hollow space he had ever seen. The ceiling faded out into a dark, unknown haze, the lights lining the walls so distant that they turned invisible. In the center of the tremendous chamber sat a number of skyscrapers, perfectly at home in any city center Black had seen, but utterly dwarfed by the room they were currently stored in. Half of the buildings seemed finished, but the rest were in various stages of construction. Gnome workers busied themselves on the steel girders and concrete walls, looking like nothing less than a swarm of tiny green ants in the distance.

"We're calling it Urban Land!" the foreman explained. "It's up to the clients to come up with a final name, of course, but it fits with the scheme they usually use. Just think of all the possibilities! Skyscraper drop towers, ten-story carousels, rooftop swings! We're setting up an elevated track for slow trains and an exciting undulating subway for roller coasters! And oh, the malls will be tremendous! We're really expecting Urban Land to be a big hit with our clients. I'd bring you in closer, but this is an active construction site." The gnome turned back to Detective Black with a grin. "This concludes our tour of the factory. Did you have any questions?"

"Yeah, I've got one," Black responded. "It sounds like you're aware of what happens on the surface. You know about Iron Raptor then, right? How he's basically enslaved the other rides and kills them for shits and giggles? It sounds to me like you could stop this whole thing in its tracks by moving resources away from him and to the resistance. Why don't you?"

The spirit shrugged noncommittally. "It's not our place to say how our clients live their lives. If Urban Land doesn't take off, we'll adjust things until it does, or take it down and replace it with something better. It's our job to make this world as pleasant a place to exist as possible. If our clients wish to make things unpleasant for each other, that is their decision to make.

"I'll tell you what I can do, though. I'll let the other gnomes know that you are authorized to use anything you find in one of our aboveground facilities. It's all there to be used by our more...traditional clients anyhow, so I don't see any harm in letting you get some early access. Just don't bring any friends in or things will become a mess. Alright?"

"Yeah, alright," Black agreed, and shook the gnome's hand again.

The trip back to the warehouse was uncannily fast, and the foreman quickly brought the gnome Justin back in to deliver Black to the surface. Once there, Black waited around for Justin to leave, then carefully copied into his notebook a scrap of paper he had seen just above the lift doors which said, "Cajun Town: 0812694." The detective almost left without remembering the reason he had come in the first place, but encountering the open box and fallen ticket spools reminded him.

On his way back into town, Detective Black took stock of himself. He noted that his legs still felt fine even after all the walking he had done, but he was almost relieved to feel dead tired after the long day. In his experience, less magic was always the better option, regardless of how helpful it seemed.

Thunderbolt was still awake when Black reentered his room. "Where were you?" the old man asked. Your jambalaya got cold hours ago."

"Oh, nowhere much," Black replied with a sly grin. "Just getting these." The detective's smile widened as he watched Thunderbolt's reaction when he produced the two rolls of tickets from under his coat.

"God in Heaven have mercy," Thunderbolt muttered as he took the tickets almost reverently from Black. "Where could you even find this many unguarded tickets? They look almost new!"

"I wouldn't say they were unguarded, exactly, but let's just say I have my ways. I doubt you'd believe me anyhow. Just be glad you got them."

"Unfortunately, I can't be all that glad you found this many tickets. Having this much wealth in one place will draw suspicion and make us everyone's targets, even those not associated with Iron Raptor. It'll take a lot of effort to distribute these to the point where they don't draw too much attention."

"It's still a hell of a lot better than nothing, though," Black answered, crossing his arms.

"Language, please," Thunderbolt chided. "But you're right, this is much better than nothing. My apologies. It's just not the game-changer I was hoping for. Iron Raptor uses force to impose our economy upon us, rather than the other way around. It's late now; we'll figure something else out after a good night's sleep. You can use the room at the far end from the staircase."

Detective Black thanked the older man and went to find his room. The next day promised to be just as eventful as the one just ended, but Rick at least had the comfort of knowing where his bed came from and just how well the sheets were made.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Damnit Miranda it's not an emotional scene! There's no drama in saying "TBark is Murdercoaster's godfather"! Why do you think we honestly give a poo poo? I mean even your other characters who constantly stroke Railrunner's ego think it's a stupid revelation!

Can we get back to Ironwheel? At least I can sympathize with him. If all the other rides apparently loving love Railrunner maybe their demise is just and deserved.

gently caress.

gently caress.

It just hit me. The non-Fallen rides are the bad guys! The Fallen conquered them and let them live, and in return they wish to use their champion to kill them all! The headfiction required to support this is kinda screwy and incoherent, but I think we're WELL past the point of caring for such trifles.

Bobbin's work is top-notch. I am curious about what our good detective will do next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

SSNeoman posted:

It just hit me. The non-Fallen rides are the bad guys! The Fallen conquered them and let them live, and in return they wish to use their champion to kill them all! The headfiction required to support this is kinda screwy and incoherent, but I think we're WELL past the point of caring for such trifles.

Your first mistake was attempting to come up with a reason for anything in Miranda's story.

• Locked thread