Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chuck Buried Treasure
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah, Miranda, I thought X-Men 2 was a pretty cool movie too.

Also, think of it as a good thing that Detective Black is finally out of this story, and able to find one that deserves him :angel:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuck Buried Treasure
Dec 27, 2010

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Oh dear lord, he was raised as a changeling? That means he wasn't "adopted" as such, but instead Ironbark stole a human baby out of his crib and replaced him with Railrunner. I imagine it's too much to ask that the real Rodney was taken to be raised in the Amusement Park Between? Or was he sacrificed to the despot to throw him off the scent? Chalk another one up to Ironbark's tally, I suppose.

Iced Cocoa posted:

I can totally see the changeling angle, and when the parents freaked that they didn't have the same baby I can see Thunderbark murdering them because othervise they would have revealed everything. That's how he's both a changeling and a orphan.

I think it's more likely that Miranda just doesn't know what the hell a changeling is and assumed it just meant "any non-human raised as a human." Of course, I wouldn't put it past her to have the heroes cheerfully abduct a baby and throw it off a cliff or whatever as long as it benefited Rodney, given the entire rest of the novel.

Chuck Buried Treasure
Dec 27, 2010

horriblePencilist posted:

The only revelation we'll be having is that Static and Merrylegs turn out to be more useless than we already are assuming.

By the way, I've been meaning to say that for a while now, but if the Great Depression in the 1930s caused many rides to be either decommissioned or dismantled, wouldn't that mean the 1930s were more or less the magic equivalent of a babyboom for Amusement Park Between? It might be a bad thing for the rides in the real life, but in Amusement Park, you'd have a shitton of new rides, mostly Fallen Ones.

Also, how can Amusement Park Between have such a rich history and advanced technology when there couldn't have been any rides before the 18th centuries? And if park rides get their own magic world, do other things too? Is there an Automobile Limbo? A Kitchen Utensil Nirvana? A Mobile Phone Void? A Firearm Afterlife?

I'm not gonna lie, I'd read a book where the main character was an anthropomorphic Kalashnikov trying to save Gun Heaven from the evil Bullpups or whatever.

Chuck Buried Treasure
Dec 27, 2010

Oblivion4568238 posted:

Aaaah what the hell you don't thrust with a tomahawk, it's a freaking axe. If you have a sword and are thrusting it, then you are thrusting it like a sword. Swords are generally good for thrusting, on account of most varieties having pointy tips. :pseudo: You swing tomahawks, or even throw them. Railrunner did neither, since the result of this thrust was, well, what you would expect from thrusting a sword.
Fake Edit: Amusing that this, of all the crap we've seen, is what actually gets me ranting in the thread. Maybe it's because nobody else commented on it before me, maybe it's because it's 2 in the morning local time, but this failure of weapon knowledge / thesaurus use really bugs me.

These various critters will, of course, be in the direct employ of Ironwheel, on his campaign to spread cheer and happiness throughout his realm.

I had a big rant typed up about this, too, but I think she actually did use the word "thrust" (or "trust," rather) when she meant "throw." Railrunner has to jump to the other tree to pull the blade out of the plane's corpse, instead of simply...pulling it out.

Sure enough, I just went to thesaurus.com and if you search "throw," it will list "thrust" as a synonym. Roget strikes again!

Chuck Buried Treasure
Dec 27, 2010

alcharagia posted:

What, but why

why did he have to kill them they

he looks exactly like the warden he couldn't have just... ordered whoever it was released? why did he

why did

rodney why

To be fair, I'm not sure prison wardens actually have the power to just order all their prisoners released, just like that. And the real warden is still in the prison so they probably wouldn't get very far before he finds out and there's a fight anyway.

I think my favorite part of the chapter was the warden, a professional in position of authority, randomly charging someone with deadly intent because he didn't immediately identify himself. Not even pulling his sword and demanding RR identify himself again, which would be reasonable, but "who are you? ... Prepare to die!! :black101:"

Chuck Buried Treasure
Dec 27, 2010

quote:

Merrylegs punched a man in the jaw as Static got kicked in the ribs.

The way Static is constantly getting poo poo on by everyone, including the author, would be hilarious if it wasn't so baffling. What does Leek have against him?

Chuck Buried Treasure
Dec 27, 2010

I think if you're afraid for your life and trying to beg your opponent to spare you, sneering about how much fun you had murdering their mothers is probably counter-productive. Self-critiquing, you could say.

Okay, all other problems with Leek's works aside, I loving love that license plate. :bustem:

Chuck Buried Treasure
Dec 27, 2010

Honestly, beyond the anatomy and the basic concept and everything else, the thing that bugs me the most about Miranda's art is how goddamn smug everybody is all the time.

Chuck Buried Treasure
Dec 27, 2010

JosephWongKS posted:

Right on target. Anyone care to hazard a guess as to what it is?

Hadn't Thunderbark hinted that the Augu Ra or whatever the amulet is called still has an unknown special power, or am I mixing that up with one of the other Mary Sue abilities?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuck Buried Treasure
Dec 27, 2010

Pick posted:

That's okay, his huge floppy bordello tits will keep his head above water.

Man, I'm glad I wasn't the only one who saw that. I had to look at it for a good minute or two before I figured out it was his chest and arm and not Thunderbark's huge rack.

• Locked thread