Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

For some reason the only review for Amazon.co.uk is a 5 star one:

quote:

Seriously original and addictive!!

Never in my life have I read a book like this and I can't wait until she brings the next one out.
Ms Leek has an amazing imagination and Twisted is incredibly original, it's nice to read something different, I mean how many other book out there are like this one?
I think the reason I enjoyed it so much as I love theme parks and rollercoasters, and the idea of rollercoasters being 'alive' and having another world is pretty drat cool:)

Also holy poo poo they paid £12 ($18) for the paperback version. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Dreggon posted:

This was written by the author.

Nope, they have the Amazon Verified Purchase tag on their review.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

Rollercoaster Bio

"drinks to forget his troubled past in which most he cannot remember."

If he can't remember his past how does he know it is troubled and why does he need to drink to forget?

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

attackbunny posted:

Someone please reassure me that rollercoaster trains can't breed.

They can breed, they can even have ultrasounds.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

paragon1 posted:

Edit: And why the gently caress would rollercoasters be venomous (of all the things to get right, she said venomous instead of poisonous)?

This was what I was going to pick up on as well.

How are they venomous, why would they need to be?
Also bending lightning and fire?

I mean come on, how do any of the powers related to roller-coasters at all? Why do roller-coasters that can smash up police cars need to have all these powers arghhhh.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

I will buy a free forum upgrade or avatar to the goon who can demonstrate that Rodney’s car was destroyed or otherwise lost during one of the earlier chapters, because I’ve re-read all of them and can’t find any evidence to such effect. Of course, that means that you will have to re-read the earlier chapters, but that’s the iron price you have to pay.

Don't think it is specific enough but he smashes up at least 1 car at the bar.

quote:

Railrunner crossly walked up to the police. They began to fire, their bullets simply bouncing off of him. He then grabbed the front bumper of the cruiser, and tossed it like a toy. It smashed into another car.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

It really does seem like someone has cut and pasted stuff from other genres into this, especially with this 'forbidden love' line.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Why would he have a heart of clockwork? Rollercoasters aren't powered by clockwork.

I really think this is a magical story though. :allears:

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

I'd love to see a Syfy film adaptation of this book, get some terrible over the top actors and it'd be great especially lines like:

quote:

“Railrunner, you’re a vehicle.”

“I am a monster”

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Unfortunately as Detective Black is not a rollercoaster Miranda hasn't drawn any art of him, so have this as a consolation.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

:smug:

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

quote:

I watched in horror as Freakshow smirked and started to descend up the mangled pole.

Again?

I wonder if when Miranda was going through her thesaurus for interesting words (quarrel for fight etc) she mistakenly read descend as being a synonym for climb.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

quote:

I then slung him with all my strength; he flew succorless toward the wall. He hit with a loud crack, the wall cracking with him. The ride then fell into the pit below the platform.

Succourless means without help/assistance, which doesn't fit at all. I think the thesaurus strikes again and the word Miranda was going to use was 'helplessly'. I mean I can see how she got there but they don't have quite the same meaning.

FairyNuff fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 23, 2013

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

quote:

The light hit the beam’s core, it completely disintegrated the deadly attack to a small ash that fell to the ground like a firework that had fizzled.

Can you turn concussion beams to ash?

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

quote:

Merrylegs reared back with her nostrils flaring and her legs flaying.

That is an interesting mental image.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

quote:

A little while later, the afternoon hours had settled in and the sky turned to various shades.

Don't bother to describe them then or anything.

attackbunny posted:

Metamorphosis
As Gregor Samsa awoke one morning from uneasy dreams he found himself transformed in his bed into an anthropomorphic roller coaster. "This is great" he said.

:laffo:

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Buddy and Sly seem to have lost all scorn for rollercoasters in the mean time then.

quote:

“So Rod, where did you get your job?” asked Sly.

“At Mystic Park. I’m the new roller coaster engineer.”

“Rodney! Of all jobs, a roller coaster engineer? I thought you were better than that!” He objected.

“Yeah Rodney, you could have had a job working on cars. I hate those drat roller coasters. They piss you off in more ways than one,” Buddy laughed.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Did you know that whilst rollercoasters don't have sex they basically still have orgasms?

quote:

Note: Not going to put a mature tag on this since there is no actual er..."intercourse" here. If you know my coasters, they can't reproduce on their own.

Railrunner and his beautiful wife, Shadowtrack are what you can classify as "madly in love". Every night they get, they like to court in the covers for hours. In Between, none of the rides can reproduce on their own. The only time a female coaster could ever become pregnant is if she was chosen to bare the red and is magically impregnated. So Railrunner, Shadowtrack, or any other couple's version of love making is just heavy making out and touching. And like in sex, they do experience "shots of pleasure". Anyways, Railrunner and Shadowtrack are always teasing one another about "having a bit of fun later" - usually in front of the gruff Thunderbark on purpose. But of course, they keep their most explicit puns and invites to themselves. The two have been in love for many years and would die for one another - nothing can become between them.

FairyNuff fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 24, 2013

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Vertigo plot posted:

I'm not revealing her name, but she's the daughter of a successful amusement park owner and knows the story of Between and all of its rides. She's a shy teenager but is loved by everyone.

And her name was Miranda and she loved rollercoasters! :sparkles:

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

Question: How many books does "Twisted" count for in the Reading Challenge Thread?

1/3, when the sequels come out you'll still need to read them! :D

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

:golfclap: Amazing, truly amazing.

I can only hope for a film adaptation (by SyFy).

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

I... I probably will do a Let's Read thread for the sequels when they come out. It's like reading the Necronomicon - you know it's very bad for you but you just can't tear your eyes away.

Luckily it will be better*:

quote:

I actually read Vertigo and look back on this and go: " My god, this makes my previous work look like poo poo." Well, good writing comes with practice. Now that I'm older I'm better.

*:cawg:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

Question for you guys: If you recall, I had bought the hard copy of the book from Amazon. What should I do with it now? I don't really want to keep it, lest a visitor or family member inadvertently picks it up and flips through it and I'm on the hook for the medical bills for aneurysm that arise as a result. I'd send it to my worst enemy, except I don't know anyone I hate so much that I'd send him or her "Twisted". For similar reasons, I wouldn't want to donate it to the Salvation Army or other charitable organization.

Secret santa or anonymous bookswaps!

• Locked thread