Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Just caught up on this thread and holy poo poo there's so much :magical:

First of all, I'm not entirely clear on the Amusement Park Between. The book description describes it as "amusement ride heaven", where decommissioned rides go, but apparently rides that aren't regular rides but rather organic creatures are born here which are supposed to be related to actual rides in the real world but not really? Also, if nothing but rides exist in Amusement Park Between, what do the rides eat? And how would roller coasters possibly evolve into predatory creatures? And why would Thunderbark possibly hang onto Static if lightning is already part of a rollercoaster's powerset?
Man, I can't believe there's a book with lore that gets me more aggravated than Rosario + Vampire.

Also,

Twisted posted:

The rides only hope is the key to their prophecy, "The Red Will Defeat The Black".

Twisted posted:

Detective Black
Leek has the subtlety of, well, a roller coaster.

I want to know what an Amusement Park Between Power Builder from Legoland would look like. Maybe I can commission Leek to draw one? Needless to say, should it not have the smuggest possible expression and rock-hard abs, I want my money back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
:spergin::science: Time!

Assuming Railrunner has magnetic abilities, and assuming the stupidity of "only being able to manipulate a few grains of iron at a time" is valid and would actually prevent him from just straight up moving the cell bars, let's see how bullshit it STILL is for Railrunner to pull off what could be the most far fetched and improbable escape for the sole reason of shamelessly ripping off The Last Airbender!

According to MedlinePlus, the normal amount of iron in the blood of a human is 60mcg/dL - 170mcg/dL. (For imperial unit folks, mcg/dL stands for microgram per deciliter, with microgram being a MILLIONTH of a gram.) Furthermore, a human body contains 5.6L/56dL blood, so let's give Leek the benefit of the doubt and say that police issue cereal is really high in iron, therefore our Detective Black has the maximum healthy iron amount of 170mcg/dL. Which equates to a whopping 9.520 milligrams of iron for Railrunner to control. As crazy as she might be, Miranda got one thing right: 10 milligrams are a tenth of a large sand grain, so yes, manipulating all the iron in a human body is actually well within Railrunners scope of abilities. Unfortunately for him, standing in the rain is more effective than moving that amount of iron around. But for the sake of the argument, let's say Railrunner is capable to induce a massive amount of upward momentum in the natural iron stirring in Black's body, so much in fact as to negate the effects of gravity and – as the book states – make him suspend in midair. After all, those of roller coaster blood have superhuman strength. If that was the case, just how hard would he have to push?

Black sounds like a fit man – despite high cereal and donut intake – so lets say he weighs 80 kilos: 60 kilos brains and brawn, 20 kilos pure fighting spirit. Newton says he'll apply 784 Newtons of pressure through gravity. To negate gravity, Railrunner has to apply equal or greater force on his body. Force equals mass times acceleration, and since we don't have a whole lot of mass, it's going to take an awful lot of acceleration to make up for not even 10 measly milligrams. In fact, it takes 82350000 m/s^2 to get him airborne. He would have more luck trying to lift him by blowing at him. Then again, he probably has superbreath too.

Oh, and keep in mind that in The Last Airbender, bloodbending can only be done during the full moon, when a Waterbender's powers are at his peak, and it took the first person to use it years to master it. So even then the writers were sensible enough to make it sound more challenging than learning how to juggle.

Oh god I've been watching too much Mythbusters.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Iced Cocoa posted:

What I've always wondered was much energy it would really take to bring Railrunner to 200 mph, all 20,000 pounds of his, but I've never been good at physics to find the right formulas for that, all of them seem to be about acceleration. I do though remember a similar discussion here about a gigantic dragon in Christian Humber Reloaded, I think the results of that physics discussion was that in order to get the dragon flying a city would be leveled.

I am in no shape or form a certified science goon, but let's see what we can do. Feel free to correct me, should I gently caress up. I'm using basic physics here, I could very well be wrong.
The Bugatti Veyron can get from 0 to 200 mph in a mere 24.2 seconds and weighs a mere 4,162 pounds. Since Railrunner is better than any mortal car but also five times heavier, he can match that speed in 25 seconds. That gives us an acceleration of 89.4 m/s^2. Using the F=m*a formula, that gives us a force of 811019 NEWTON JESUS.
But wait, Railrunner has a whole bunch of legs, right? That'd mean that the force is distributed between his legs. For the sake of simplicity, we'll say he'll push his entire body with all of his legs at once. According to this picture, Railrunner has 10 cars, with four legs each, bumping his leg count up to a whopping 40. A quick division, and we know each leg applies a force of 20275 Newtons. According to this article, the peak force when jogging is around 1500 Newton. That means Railrunner is 13 times stronger that a human. Plausible? You decide. All I know is he needs some serious stamina to keep this up.

Next up, let's see if I can't figure out how bullshit it is for Railrunner to land on his feet as gently as a cat!

:spergin: edit:
I just realized Railrunner's head is a car too, and since it doesn't have appendages, that'd mean he only has 36 legs. Which means each leg now has to create a force of 22528 Newtons, 15 times more than the peak force of a jogger.

horriblePencilist fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 25, 2013

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
What I especially like is how Miranda experiments with different generic Disney-concepts expressions, whereas Railrunner in the book can only switch between "angry" or "irritated".

:spergin::science:Time, Round Three!

As promised, today we're going to look at what really happens when Railrunner dropped from the museum ceiling, only to land gently on his feet, his grace rivaling that of a cat. I was afraid having no idea how to approach this conundrum, but I ended having a lot of fun, hope you enjoy it too.
First up, there's a lot of unknown variables. Thankfully, we only have to pull one from our rear end: the hight of the museum's ceiling. Museums usually have pretty high ceilings, and since this one sounds like a big one, we're gonna assume the room was 5 meters high. Next up, we need to break down the landing. In order to land with the least force of impact possible, Railrunner needs to decelerate as long as he can. In his case, he can start the landing as soon as he touches the ground and has to stop it once his body touches it. To determine how long that distance is, we'll have to pull up this nice reference sheet again. Now, we know that Railrunner is 20 feet / 6.069 meters long, and since his cars seem to have a constant size, we can determine that the distance from the ground to his belly is about half a meter. Since he'll be turning when letting go of the ceiling, his fall height will be reduced to about 3.8 meters.
But before we go on, we'll need a control to determine how soft Railrunner's impact has to be. Since he supposedly was no louder than a cat, let's use a cat for reference, shall we?
The average cat weighs about 3.9 kilograms and is 46 centimeters long. Using the same principle we used to determine Railrunner's proportions, we now know that the distance between ground and catbelly is 15 centimeters. Next up, the force of impact! Now, this would have been a bit tricky, hadn't I found this handy tool that lets you calculate exactly what we need: the impact force of a falling object. Filling in our variables, we get a result of 973 Newtons! Which really isn't much.
Now then, if we fill in Railrunners figures, we get... 6766635 (Edit: Just 676635, actually) Newtons.
Slightly more than a cat.
In fact, I'm pretty sure the floor would have failed catastrophically with that kind of power. We're talking half the thrust of a GODDAMN SPACE SHUTTLE AT LAUNCH (Edit: A 20th of the thrust, but still.) here. Forget not making a noise, he should be glad if there's still a hallway left to crawl around.

Welp, I'm out of myths to bust bullshit to point out, any ideas?

horriblePencilist fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Apr 26, 2013

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
First of all, I have to apologize for botching up a calculation. Railrunner doesn't exert 6766635 Newtons of force, but rather 676635 Newtons. Still not as graceful as a cat though, but at least it isn't half a space shuttle going off in a museum.

JosephWongKS posted:

Clearly Railrunner does it with a combination of Power No. 9 (Super agility), Power No. 26 (Shrink and expand at will), and Power No. 27 (Control gravity).

I'm frankly surprised that Railrunner hasn't gotten flat-out flight powers by now.

Well, agility doesn't really have to do with deceleration. You might be able to cease momentum faster, but you'll also apply more force, which isn't what we're looking for here.
The shrink/expand power doesn't actually help much either, since he has to preserve mass and can't make himself lighter. He could strech his legs to increase the duration of the braking phase, but his legs would have to be about 350 meters long to mirror the force of a falling cat. He could have stretched his legs to touch the ground before he let go of the ceiling, but the book specifically said he dropped and landed akin to a cat. Gravity Manipulation would change everything and render this whole thing invalid, but even with inverted gravity you couldn't descend upwards. descend is defined by travelling downwards, the opposite direction of up, so no matter how you would define down (either towards the earth or towards the gravitational pull), the statement always contradicts itself. The only rules that are being bent here are the definitions of the words "ascend" and "descend".

Iced Cocoa posted:

Perhaps just what force is exerted by a roller coaster to bring down prey?

http://railrunnermiranda.deviantart.com/art/Roller-Coaster-Anatomy-Fight-268569239

So, if a roller coaster moves at the top speed of 200 mph to bring down prey, will he even need to bite/slash the prey to bring it down when he connects with it?

Well, the description doesn't explicitly say they kill using their claws or teeth, only that they target the neck and that their teeth can easily tear through flesh and bones. Also, rollercoasters love the thrill of the hunt :cripes:, so who knows how fast they attack. But let's check out the force by comparing it to a car ramming into an animal at 100 km/h. Using F= 0.5*m*v^2, that'd equal 385802 Newton of force, around 385 Gs.
Now, Railrunner on the other hand weighs 9071 kilograms and can reach a top speed of 200 mph, so there's a bit more force behind a crash. Using the same formula gives us 36282020 god drat skullcrushing Newtons. That's almost 4000 times the earth's gravity obliterating your body. Basically, all they have to do to kill their prey that apparently lives in Amusement Park Between is lightly bump into it.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
What anger? What frustration? You have a steady job, a supportive girlfriend and you recently discovered you're practically omnipotent. Are you angry because you found out your drinking buddies don't like rollercoasters? There is zero reason for you to be angry, especially considering what you've done to this city. Jesus loving Christ, this is absolutely horrid!

I am really excited to find out more about Amusement Park Between. There's been a lot of bullshit piling up, I can't wait to see how further Miranda is going to entangle herself in her web of stupid, seeing how there's no way she'd actually elaborate on something in a reasonable manner.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

~*~Fanfiction~*~ posted:

"Guess who's home!"
After a day that never seemed to end, it felt good to finally say those words. "Finally!" I could hear Doris from the kitchen. "We were almost going to start dinner without you!" I made my way to her and give her a quick peck on her cheek. "I'm sorry honey, today has been just crazy. We've had some bizarre incident downtown, and I've been busy all day trying to piece it together." She turned off the stove and gave me a disapproving look. "Oh honey, you know you've got the entire force to do that kind of stuff for you! You should have weeks of vacation by now. Can't you just take one day off?" She was right. It was reckless of me to neglect my family like this, but right now... "I can't just leave my work to my staff. The safety of this city is my re-" - "Your responsibility, I know. It would just be nice if you could relax a little. For my sake."
I opened my mouth, unsure what to say, when I heard a wave of small footsteps coming from the stairs. "Daddy!" - "Hey there, mighty warrior! How was your day?" - "Great!" Terry's face beamed with eagerness. "Dad, do you know what tomorrow is?" I feigned ignorance. "Uhm, your birthday?" - "No, not my birthday!", he giggled. "Tomorrow we're going to the park!"
Doris finished setting the table. "He hasn't stopped talking about it ever since he got home. He can't wait for opening day!" – "Oh really? Why are you so excited?" – "I told you like a billion times, dad! I'm gonna eat cotton candy and get to shoot a gun and ride the ghost train and– Oh, and they have a huuuuuuge roller coaster!"
The roller coaster. Calloway's bar... No. Work's over for today. I can't think about this stuff now. It'd be unfair towards both Doris and Terry. I had to keep my mind on what matters right now. "What, aren't you scared of the roller coaster? Isn't that a little too dangerous?" – "Nuh-uh, dad! I'm nine, I'm not scared of anything! And look, I'm this tall already!" He raised his arm over his head and stood on his toes, trying to keep his balance. "I can ride it, honest!" – "Well, if you say so... Just don't chicken out!" – "Not in a million years!", replied Terry with confidence.
"Alright, boys, time to eat! Dinner's getting cold, and I'm not reheating anything!" – "Yes, sir!", we said in unison, making Terry giggle once more. Doris and I couldn't help but smile as we made our way to the dinner table.
Terry spent the rest of the evening using his toy car as a pretend roller coaster, mimicking the fast and violent motions as he ran up and down the living room. Out of all things, why a roller coaster? It didn't make any sense. Even if it was a disguise, what creature would cause such great destruction, and that in the middle of the city? And why- "Honey, you're not thinking about work again, are you?" Startled, I looked to my left to see Doris leaning on my shoulder. In her eyes I could tell she felt troubled. "Sorry honey, I got distracted. Won't happen again." I could not get wrapped up too much in a case again. It wouldn't be fair to my family. The department might need me, but I can't let this roller coaster freak take over my life too much. Not for my sake. Not even for the city's sake. Just for Doris' and Terry's sake.

Black seems like a family person.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
We should buy these for Miranda.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
That was absolutely fantastic. Can Leek use this for her edited version of Twisted?

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The Book Barn > Where I Read: Miranda Leek's "Twisted" – Coasterwriting 101: A private literature session for Miranda Leek

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Achterbahn is roller coaster in german. I bet Miranda can say "I loving love roller coasters" fluently in 25 different languages.

I'd calculate the probability of Railrunner actually being able to float in water, but I think even Miranda knows how bullshit that is.

Oh, what the hell:
In order to float in a substance, you have to have a smaller density than the substance. Steel itself might not float, but due to the hollow body of a ship, the total volume is great enough to reach the density necessary to become buoyant. Since Railrunner swims through water, we'll need the density of water, which conveniently is 1 gram per cubic centimeter.
We know Railrunner is 200 feet long (Edit: 20 feet, you idiot), and by measuring his dimensions we got a height from back to belly of half a meter. Being a roller coaster, he's supposed to comfortably seat two adults in a row, so we'll assume he's 2 meters wide. That gives us a volume of 61 (Edit: 6.1) cubic meters. Given that Railrunner is 20000 pounds, we know that Railrunner has a density of...

0.1487 grams per cubic centimeter.

I...
What.
Not only does Railrunner float, he floats really well. As improbable as a 20000 pound steel colossus swimming through water might seem, it's actually entirely possible.
That is, until he submerges and his back fills up with water, killing his buoyancy until he can get rid of the water.

1.49 grams per cubic centimeter. He'd sink faster than his inferior carousel-horse buddies. End of story.

horriblePencilist fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 28, 2013

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

attackbunny posted:

Railrunner's twenty feet long, not two hundred. Would that make his density 1.666 g/cm2?

Oh, you're right. 1.49 g/cm^3, actually, but still plenty to drop like a rock.
Yeah, Miranda's bullshit. False alarm.

horriblePencilist fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 28, 2013

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
:spergin::science: Time, Vol. 6!

This one was a doozy. I've never put so much science in a coaster bust (tentative title) before, I had to get some help from a science friend just researching the topic. Oh, the things I'll do for Miranda!
This one's a continuation of the previous analysis, where we confirmed the natural suspicion of Railrunner hitting the bottom of the ocean hard, despite what Miss Leek claimed. So, normally, you'd think that this would be the end of that? Just another entry of the ongoing list of roller coaster-favored physics Miranda keeps unleashing at us, right?
"You're wrong!", exclaims the lone and purely hypothetical admirer of Miranda's work. "Roller Coasters from Amusement Park Between have super strength, they could easily support their weight despite having the buoyancy of a rock!" Well, since roller coasters are known for pulling stuff straight out of their probably leathery asses, this claim seems valid enough to observe more carefully.

So, we established that Railrunner doesn't have the density required to float through his sheer buoyancy alone, but that doesn't mean there isn't some level of buoyancy going on. There is, it's just not great enough to withstand the pull of gravity. But what if Railrunner was using his muscular axle arms to propel himself upwards? Can the combined efforts of buoyancy and his super strength overcome gravity? Let's find out.
So, first of all, we need to determine the effective gravity pulling RR down. His normal gravitational pull towards the earth is 89136 Newton, and his buoyancy force is 59821 Newton, leaving us with an effective gravity of 29312 Newtons. If we take the force he can generate to accelerate to top speeds we calculated – 811019 Newtons – we know that he can accelerate himself with 86.17 m/s^2 – quite enough to keep himself afloat.
But here's where it gets iffy. While getting his back full of water isn't as much of an issue as I anticipated (remember, he can't exceed a downwards pull of 89136 Newton, which he can easily overpower), there is one important factor I neglected to include so far: the resistance of water. In the analysis of Railrunner's acceleration when running, I assumed RR would be running on a idealized surface with zero elasticity, where no energy is lost in the ground. However, as some goon pointed out back then, that is in fact not the case in the real world. Real ground gives. If RR was running on grass, he'd root his leg deep into the ground. This applies even more so in water, which, as a fluid, offers little resistance against force so movement is massively gimped.
In order to determine his actual pushing power, we'll need the surface area he's using to paddle, his feet. I can't determine the exact area of his feet, so I'll have to cheat a little to make an approximation. By figuring out the diameter of his wheels and assuming his palm is square, we get a surface of about 53 square centimeters. Times 36, that equals 1.92 square meters.
Next up, we need a particular equation to determine the drag force of an object submerged in a fluid. Assuming Railrunner moves his arm downwards for a second and by simplifying the drag coefficency of his foot to that of a short cylinder, we get an actual force of propulsion of about 11586 Newton. Not bad, but when subtracted with the remaining gravitational force of 29312 Newton, there's still a whole 17726 Newton that say roller coasters stay down, even the Mary Sue kind. And this is without considering the drag of his massive torso. He might be able to leap on the bottom of the river, but honestly, Railrunner should stick to "land and rails".

Of course, Railrunner could always just stretch to decrease his density, so everything I just said wouldn't matter.

What do you think? Should I make those shorter, or are you okay with some padding? Should I include more formulas, or get straight to the point? Do you even read them at all?
I crave for your approval. :ohdear:

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Place your bets!

Bonus: Miranda complaining about people complaining about sexualized anthros.

Bonus 2: This barely legible poster says Miranda published Twisted when she was 16. The Amazon page of the book claims she wrote it "with the tender age of 17". :psyduck:

Bonus 3: Miranda is doing a QnA. At least ask her semi-serious questions, the least we want is some goons cyberbullying her leading into the subsequent gassing of the thread.

horriblePencilist fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Apr 29, 2013

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

JosephWongKS posted:

Please don't participate in her Q n A session or otherwise communicate directly with her. This has been a fun thread and I'd hate to see it get closed down because of people breaking the safari rules.

I'm not saying we should rush in and post poo poo like "Why are you so godawful?", I just figured this would be an oppertunity to clear up "misconceptions" we have about the book. We don't have to reference SA or this thread, after all.

Iced Cocoa posted:

She just recently celebrated her 21st birthday. I think the deal is that she published it at 18 years old, but began writing it when she was 16 or so. And I think in one of her previous Q&A she revealed she had the idea when she was fourteen.

Now, what could exactly spark the idea of anthropomorhpic roller coasters? She was apparently reading about them or something, and found out that in order to find micro-fractures invisible to the naked eye, roller coasters were ultra-sounded.

So for her, ultrasound = pregnancy. Hell if I'm going to link that ultrasound drawing again.

I... What? That's how she got the idea? Not years of mockery and sexual frustration combined with her fascination with roller coasters?

She really went all out on designing her precious roller coasters. Not visual design, since they're buttugly, but her explanations as to why they are overpowered superstars of Amusement Park Between.

Miranda posted:

Twisted Roller Coasters:

1. Nobelist and most powerful of all the rides.
2. Heavyset, but fast and smart.
3. Brawny - steel skin and bones. Indestructible.
4. Speaks several languages.
5. Amazing senses.
6. Rulers of Between
7. Body structure built for speed, agility, climbing, and combat.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
"Here, take this trenchcoat to cover your 20 foot long body in this world where no one is seen with clothes!"

Don't forget to add "Unlimited energy when in APB" to his powers!
It's funny, I considered to add "Defunct Physiology" to my power bingo, but I was like "Nahh, no way Miranda would make him that obviously overpowered!". Wait, that's not funny, that's loving stupid.

I can understand Rollercoasters eating – trust, me Miranda has this whole digestive system very well thought out – but there is no reason for Railrunner to continue eating, at least not in Amusement Park Between. If he has an infinite energy source to maintain a constant concussion blast, he should be able to go on forever.

Miranda is the least forward thinking person ever – it's like her brain doesn't have a backspace key. Every time she comes up with an idea, she HAS to include it, no matter how bad it contradicts her previous ideas. "Oh, I have to make pregnant roller coasters! But rides only come from old rides in the real world, so I'll say only the Chosen Ones are birthed! Oh, and they can travel to the real world! And they are superior to humans in every way! But they hide from the humans, because Harry Potter has the best Call to Action ever! Oh, and roller coasters can cast fire! And lightning! And poison! And ice! And they have wheels for fingers! And their wheels can turn into a claw that can cut through everything because they're super-sharp!"

Edit: You shoud really read Miranda's Journals on deviantArt. They're hilarious.

horriblePencilist fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Apr 29, 2013

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Even better, if you poison a rollercoaster, there's no way it'll ever leave his system.
Maybe that's why rollercoasters die so fast, all the hazardous substances they consume pile up over the year until they eventually die of food poisoning.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Decoy Badger posted:

Wouldn't Railrunner be able to use his entire flat train body to propel himself like a watersnake? That's quite a bit of surface area, I'd imagine he would be able to develop enough thrust to pull himself through anything but air (until we learn that he can fly).

Goddammit, just when I thought I'd get a break from science. Now I have to research sea snake movement.

Edit:
I asked Miranda about the age thing. Turns out she did write it with 17, and that poster is a typo. Also, this:

She can't even be bothered to spellcheck her website.

horriblePencilist fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 29, 2013

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Rahonavis posted:

Twisted is officially the place where the laws of physics go to die.

Anyway, have some fanart of Moonhoof. I worked wicked hard on it, I hope everybody likes it:

Funny you should attach this picture, because not only does Miranda hate ponies, she prides herself on being original. In fact, the fact of her fursona being "unique" is more important to her than the disturbing reality of drawing angular dragon lizards with seats on their back.

Miranda, defending her character Angeltrack (Protip: Do not look up her character Angeltrack) posted:

My art is ORIGINAL. It is unique. Take the time to examine it before you make any assumptions. Get used to the fact that everything is not ponies, sonic characters, or anime. In fact, in the job field such as illustration in the REAL art world - that poo poo will get you nowhere. Companies will just laugh in your face and send you out the door. When hiring, they want original concepts.

Oh, another fun thing about her:

Miranda, upon being asked about what she dislikes about deviantArt posted:

ughh... All the nude photos that are not artistic nudity but are porn[...]

Miranda, continuing to defend Angeltrack in a Journal entry right after the previous one posted:

There is a big difference between porn and nude art. The definition of porn is images that display sexual acts such as the insertion of genitalia or the display of genitalia as the viewer can see all the parts. Artistic nudity is NOT. I hate immature people that imitatively assume that a just a bit of bare skin, a seated or standing nude is porn. GUESS WHAT LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, BOYS AND GIRLS, if you are one of those people and you are actually serious about pursuing art as a career and plan to go to an art institute - no matter where you go, it is required that you take a figure drawing course (Yes, you are made to draw the artistic nude and you learn about the nude in art. And yes, you will see plenty of breasts, balls, vaginas, and penises. So grow up and get used to it.)
Keep in mind she's never actually drawn genitalia, only exposed breasts at best. In fact, male rollercoasters completely lack any reproductive organs, as Miranda only reluctantly reveals:

Miranda, only partially explaining the difference between male and female rollercoasters posted:

lol don't ask me about private areas. I'll simply laugh at my screen. It will be explained in part 2.
She probably is scared shitless of dicks.

Bonus: Here's a picture of Railrunner with his trenchcoat and vest on.

YEP, NO ONE WILL EVER KNOW HE'S THE RED ROLLERCOASTER!

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

SSNeoman posted:

And seriously nobody loving participate in Q&A and otherwise talk to Miranda. gently caress's sake guys. Keep all the poo poo in this thread. Something tells me she'll find it soon enough anyway.

Actually, she once found out popular tumblr sociallyunacceptableart posted one of of her :nws: rollercoasters, which supposedly triggered an attention surge towards her work. Her response was the usual "just a bunch of trolls, you're just jealous, I'm laughing my rear end off, neener neener"-reaction you'd expect from a deviantArt user.

My favorite part:

Doctor Leek posted:

Sure, existing franchises have characters that everyone can identify and relate. Then if they see something new, they usually greet it with a negative attitude. But take the time to get to know the new concept, you might actually get to like it. There is no reason to dislike something at first sight - kind of like green eggs and ham.
:smuggo: "Sure, you could have characters in situations you can relate to, but wouldn't you rather have socially defunct, psychopathic anthropomorphic roller coasters killing innocent people, animals and rides alike? I read Doctor Seuss."

So really, should Miranda discover SA, she probably won't be any more angry than she already has been. If anything, she'll "laugh at the screen" because someone actually bought her book. The only reason I can see this thread pissing her more off because of the neatly organized evidence and bonus content stacked against her book. It's like a 3-disc DVD, with 1 disc being the movie, and the other 2 hours of trailers, promotional art, deleted scenes, bloopers, interviews, documentaries, commentary and more.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Sorry for my previous posts, if I was encouraging the safari rule. As a once avid follower of the Tails Gets Trolled thread, I know the dangers of tapping the glass. Last thing I want to do is get the thread closed.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Shonagon posted:

I am a commissioning editor for children's fiction. I have just received an unsolicited MS about the extraordinary friendship between a lonely girl and a grumpy but fun-loving double-decker bus.

IT'S SPREADING.

At least the author has the decency to run it through an editor first.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Oh my, I've been abandoning this thread way too much. I hardly worked on my next :spergin::science:, and I haven't read the last 5 fanfics or so. drat you, Prison Architect!

Anyway, during that "fight scene" with the go-kart, I can't imagine anything aside from this playing in the background.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Iced Cocoa posted:

Because I forgot to, here is the colored illustration from "that" chapter.

And here's the image from one of the future chapters. Just so you can see Freakshow in all her glory. It's worth to note she has only been illustrated twice. Also, it is worth to note that Ironwheel has never been illustrated.

The second edition still won't have a picture of Ironwheel, but there'll be 12 pages full of pregnant Angeltrack.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
The only revelation we'll be having is that Static and Merrylegs turn out to be more useless than we already are assuming.

By the way, I've been meaning to say that for a while now, but if the Great Depression in the 1930s caused many rides to be either decommissioned or dismantled, wouldn't that mean the 1930s were more or less the magic equivalent of a babyboom for Amusement Park Between? It might be a bad thing for the rides in the real life, but in Amusement Park, you'd have a shitton of new rides, mostly Fallen Ones.

Also, how can Amusement Park Between have such a rich history and advanced technology when there couldn't have been any rides before the 18th centuries? And if park rides get their own magic world, do other things too? Is there an Automobile Limbo? A Kitchen Utensil Nirvana? A Mobile Phone Void? A Firearm Afterlife?

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Abundant Atrophy posted:

From the DeviantART thread:

To be fair, I was contemplating over linking to that post of mine.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
How can this be consistently so terrible?
It has to run out of steam sometime, right?

Right?

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Is anyone gonna get the second edition of Twisted? I'd like to know what the differences are, but I have a hunch it's just mostly going to be new drawings.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

JosephWongKS posted:

List of Railrunner’s powers

Chapter 4
1. Remotely shatter glass
2. Possesses claws that are 15-inch long and perfectly sharp

Chapter 5
3. Ability to run “faster than a car at top speed”
4. Can “hear anything and everything”
5. Heightened stealth

Chapter 7
6. Bend lightning
7. Bend fire
8. Super strength
9. Super agility
10. Predict when things will happen, except death
11. Sense trouble
12. Never get sick
13. Venomous
14. Sight of a dragon
15. Gain power from amusement parks and carnivals
16. Control the speed of rides and how long they last

Chapter 10
17. Healing factor

Chapter 11
18. Immunity to bullets

Chapter 12
19. Can change at will if wearing the Augu Ra
20. Can move between the worlds when wearing the Augu Ra

Chapter 13
21. Can fire concussion beams

Chapter 14
22. Bend metal

Chapter 15
23. Bend blood
24. See in the dark
25. Heightened sense of smell

Chapter 16
26. Shrink at will to fit into confined spaces
27. Control gravity so that they can "descend up"
28. Breathe “icy mist” that reveals infra-red sensors
29. Walk on walls and ceilings
30. Fall and land quietly on his wheels

Chapter 18
31. Become “engrossed” by the sight of violence
32. Disintegrate people with his McGuffin

Chapter 19
33. Nictitating membranes over his eyes
34. Can hold his breath for more than thirty minutes
35. Bend water

Chapter 20
36. Fire "continuous concussion beams" in Amusement Park Between

Chapter 24
37. Can redirect and amplify lightning instinctively
38. Can aim lightning with high precision
39. Stupidly fast learner (way better than Zuko)

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
That's one of Miranda's problems, she prides herself so much on being original that she fails to feel the need for improvement and humility. She thinks she has already hit her peak, and that it doesn't get any better than this. My guess is that Twisted is a Katamari of poo poo, starting out very small at the age of 14, only to pick up more and more awful ideas and inspirations from superior stories without ever cutting anything for the sake of decency so eventually it grows into this cobbled mess of a book.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Another lovely detail in the giant mural I call " How bullshit roller coasters as beasts are":
Rollercoasters are predatory creatures with severe advantages over any other species to the point where they are literally the superior race, but since they are only born through the decommission or destruction of roller coasters in the real world (cept for that one red rollercoaster), their survival is ultimately entirely dependant on the humans. That's probably the only reason as to why roller coasters haven't usurped, hunted for their personal enjoyment and enslaved all of mankind.

Nice job killing off these people, Railrunner! I'm sure people are just mad about roller coasters right now! Way to ensure the future of your people! :downsbravo:

Fake edit: If a ride gets put out of commission, only to be picked back up a few years later, does the Amusement Park Between equivalent disappear?

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Shouldn't every ride be a Fallen One? I mean, sure, rides get closed, but they're not going to stay that way forever. Eventually, they either get picked back up or get dismantled.

Also, how do new rides appear? Do they suddenly exist? Do they magically spawn at some magical place? Do they fall through a portal?

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Why is this roller coaster wearing a bikini? Where do the wheels go whenever they're making a fist? Why does every loving roller coaster have a tattoo? How does every loving roller coaster have a tattoo? How do roller coasters get piercings? Why the gently caress does every roller coaster have to look supersmug? Why do roller coaster have abs only on the second cart? Why is that watermark so goddamn loving ugly?

Miranda, shut down everything.

Jeek posted:

There is a difference between being dismantled in an orderly manner and being treated so badly that it is trashed. Kind of like dying of old age in a hospital and dying in a painful, violent way, I guess.

How many rides actually get destroyed? I can imagine some no-good punks busting some attraction up a bit, but not to a point beyond repair.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

JosephWongKS posted:

Why would you put the fridge in the garage? :psyduck:
Actually, fridges in garages aren't rare. I have one, we usually store packs of bottles or other stuff too big for the fridge in the kitchen.

Oh, and you missed a typo.

quote:

I hesitantly grabbed it off the self.

I'd calculate how much force is needed to invert the path of a mortar slug fired from a tank, but keep in mind Railrunner can only control grains of metal, so it's impossible right away.

But why doesn't the police just destroy the portal? Sure, there might be more portals around, but for all the humans know is that Railrunner uses this and only this particular portal.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

I tried.

Edit: I just realized Miranda sicks her following on her dA-group at anyone who dares to oppose her. Classy.

horriblePencilist fucked around with this message at 08:57 on May 13, 2013

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Iced Cocoa posted:

Still a whole lot better than what Miranda doles out.

Though I've not seen any references to Miranda sicc'ing her fanatics onto anyone who objects to her fetish. Got any links of any "orders" or any fans overwhelming the comments of the opponents?

There's this Journal entry on #BizzareAnthros – her group – that she wrote. Coincidentally, she ranted about the very same forum topic in this entry in her personal dA Journal.
I'm sure there's more of this in the 6 pages of Journals on her group.

Oh, and here's an actually usable smugcoast similie.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I'm assuming he'll still transform every night, the moon overrides the necklace.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

quote:

Right now the young coaster was like an explosive , bound to explode when the fuse reached the bomb.
This is a pretty good example of what's wrong with Miranda. She could have used "like a walking timebomb", but that wasn't original enough, so she had to cough up this blob of an analogy.

edit: :10bux: say we'll find out what the sword does within the next 3 chapters.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Rahonavis posted:

Anyway, the Smugcoaster icon is terrific, but I think it's missing something crucial to the spirit of this novel...

There we go.

How could I forget? I have much to learn.

Anyway, wrote some Detective Black fanfiction as if it was written by Miranda Leek. I call it "fanfanfiction".

Not quite Miranda posted:

Chapter 420: The Focussing Encounter

The full moon hung high. I ran along as fast as could, way faster than any sports car could keep the velocity up with. I crushed the asphalt beneath my mighty wheels, leaving a trale of destruction behind me "It's no rails, but it'll have to do", I sighed with a grin on my roller coaster face. My dragon-like eyes, which had adjusted to the dark, spied a police car parked next to a orphanage from afar. I let out a pestered sigh and charged right at it, ramming it into the inferior human building next to it. To my mood that would please me, I used my superhuman earsight to hear the policemen's scream underneath the violent and hardening explosion. I lunched into the air and landed on the top of a building as gentle and cushioned as a cat.

+++

Suddenly, Railrunner spyd a shadowy figure in the corner of his eye. In the darkness, it was hard to make out his face, but on closer examination, he recognized him. "Black", he sighed, with a toothy snarl. "Give up, roller coaster. We have you now. Let us shoot you and put you into a prison with an impossible escape", the Detective sighed with a shaky and weak voice. Railrunner let out a gruntful sigh. "You make me furious… Big mistake." Railrunner leaped of the the tree and did a kick flip and landed right in front of the Detective. His super smell which he uses for hunting picked up a foul cent. "What's the matter, Black? That your breath, or did you poop your diaper already?", sighed Railrunner. Detective Black let out a sigh and sighed, "N-n-no! And you are under arrest! Get him!" Suddenly, Railrunner was surrounded with me from the FBI, tanks from the military and helicopters from the navy. Railrunner sighed and all the tank and the helicopters exploded. "I have telekinesis? Cool.", he sighed.

Suddenly, Railrunner was surprised without his awareness by a stealthlike FBI man who shot a net at him, trapping him.

+++

That stupid net trapped me. "drat, I'm trapped!", I sighed.

Chapter 421: The Problemless Escape

+++

"Nets can't hold a red", Railrunner sighed and tore through the net. "Oh no," Detective Black sighed terrorriously, "he tore through the net! And he's getting back on his fee- I mean wheels and is running away! Shoot at him, but don't shoot yourselfes!" Railrunner got on his wheels and ran away. The policemen pulled out their guns and started shooting at Railrunner, but they all bounced off his awesome metal hide and ricocheted back into the policemen. "You can't beat a ride from Amusement Park Between, we're just too tall advanced!", Railrunner sighed in the distance to tease Detective Black.

Iced Cocoa posted:

The best smiley.

As for Halfcoasters, I'm very sure that she didn't come up with it until after writing down that part in Twisted! If Bandit is really a halfcoaster I think it will be made clear in the new edition. There are two halfcoaster characters in Vertigo as far as I can remember, there was this cheetah-based coaster, and a police cruiser based coaster.

So we have Static and Thunderbark in a furry- and policeman costume respectively. Riveting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

my dad posted:

Internalized misogyny is a real thing.

If you're a horny teen who is constantly being bombarded with the "strong boys rescue hot girls" message and decide to "write" a "book" with "illustrations" you're likely going to end up with poo poo like this.

I think it's because she chooses generic action story tropes over integrity, morals, ethics, etc.

• Locked thread