Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

After finding out about this thread only a short while ago, I've finally gotten through all of it and I'm proud to be here before the end. Truly, it has been a :stonklol: journey.

Time to start working on my own Detective Black Clare fanfic.

Djeser fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Part 1

I'm in the hands of a black roller coaster car on top of a clock tower, like the dumbest King Kong ripoff in the world. The black roller coaster is roaring at me and my red roller coaster boyfriend is roaring at him to put me down.

Okay, maybe I need to explain a few things.

Rodney was a decent guy. Maybe a little shy, a little too into amusement parks, but there wasn't anything really wrong with him. He didn't seem interested when I told him about the classes I was taking, but he didn't seem that interested in his own life. He was still nice enough, though. I figured he was just a bit detached.

And then I saw him turn into a roller coaster. There's really no way to warm up to that. He turned into a roller coaster and went on a killing spree in the middle of a date. The next day he showed up at my house with a whole load of bullshit about his true self and his real name and that he couldn't, but I'm not dumb. I went straight for the silverware and jammed a knife into his chest, but turns out werewolf rules don't work on roller coasters.

I had a boyfriend with a knife in his chest and he wasn't hurt and I'd just seen him become a murderous theme park ride last night. What was I supposed to do? I apologized. Maybe I should have gotten the police to help. Maybe I should have just dumped him and booked it. But I was scared, so I did what he wanted. When he wanted me to help hide him, I did. When he asked me if I loved him, I said of course.

Then came the Huntersberg Massacre. I was there for the real thing, before the FBI sanitized the reports. It was devastation in a way the papers couldn't even tell. But after the dust settled and they searched through all the wreckage, all I could think was that he was gone. He was gone and I didn't have to be afraid.

I could focus on class again. I started working on a research project with one of my professors. The world didn't want to make sense, but I would make it make sense again. I even started dating again.

And then Rodney came back. I had to call him Railrunner or he would get angry. I had to tell him I loved him or he'd threaten to bite me. I had to stall him. I sent a message to Captain Vick, and the police were there in record time, but even with all that time preparing, they couldn't stop him. And Rodney said he'd be back.

He was. He said I was in danger from some big bad evil roller coaster and he had to protect me. I had to leave, to come with him, first to a friend's cabin, then to a factory where he used to work. He wanted to give me rides and have me lay on his stomach and made me eat whatever food the silver roller coaster wanted to make. He wanted me to tell him I'd love him forever and I'd be with him forever. He asked me about being a roller coaster and I gave him some bullshit 'I'd be purple' answer. My favorite color is green. Not that Rodney would know that.

Turns out the big bad evil roller coaster is real. Rodney rushed off to fight him, got his rear end kicked, and then the evil coaster came for me. Honestly, he's more civil than Rodney, but that doesn't make much difference when I'm being dangled by roller-coaster-wheel-fingers.

And now we're back to where I started.

The panicked look in Rodney's eyes is almost sad if I try to blot out all the bodies I saw him leave in his wake. Maybe it could have worked out without the roller coaster stuff happening. The detective had told me something when I had gone in for questioning—that Rodney had snapped, he was all predator inside. I think that's not entirely true, but whatever isn't predator in there isn't what I liked about him.

The black roller coaster holds me by my collar with his wheels. I've put up with days of getting fondled by those wheel-fingers of Rodney's and I still don't get how they work anatomically. Maybe I should have gone into med school, I think for a brief moment, before the monumental stupidity of all this crashes around me again.

They're roller coasters.

It's down to two of those dumb wheel-fingers holding me up.

I'm going to die because of roller coasters.

I'm hanging off of one of the wheels. Below me on one side is the black roller coaster's train, another side the clocktower, and the ground below.

The wheel slips. I'm plummeting. I don't want to die.

“Railrunner!” I belt out at the top of my lungs. He's psycho-husband crazy about me. He'll catch me. He has to catch me. But I can see him hesitate, like he wants me to fall. rear end in a top hat.

Falling takes a lot less longer than I'd think. Ground, even with picnic-ready park grass, is harder than I'd like. I can't tell how many things broke but I'm in so much pain I can barely think. Adrenaline rushes in and numbs me.

It takes dying to finally wrest some courage out of me. I'm ready. Of course I have regrets, but it's time to go. And at the very least, it'll get me away from Rodney. Living isn't worth being stuck with a horny, abusive, magic roller coaster boyfriend.

Something pushes its way into my face. It's hard to see but that big red snout is pretty obvious. If I blink a bit I can make out his big puppy-roller-coaster eyes. I feel bad for him, against every fiber of my dying being. He doesn't deserve my kindness, but I'm too nice. I give him what he wants. Maybe the good karma will help wherever I'm going.

“Railrunner,” I say. That name will never not be hilarious. The air is leaving my lungs but it's not going back in. Good thing, or I might chuckle.

“Yes, Clare?” he asks.

“I love you,” I lie.

That's it.

...ouch.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Part 2

Did he just bite me? Come on, Rodney, mourn for, like, five seconds so I can die in peace.

I try to relax, but I can't sink back down. It burns like motor oil on an open wound, spreading from my neck down my arms and into my chest. My bones scrape back into place with the sound of a fingernail dragged across brushed steel. Blood vessels repair themselves with the tiny crackling of rice cereal.

My skin starts to go. It's turning hard, like leathery hide, but somehow flexible despite its metallic appearance. Blunt blades jab against my back and I reflexively tense my muscles. Every pinprick of a budding bone digs against the inside of my flesh. A second pair of arms, covered in my new hide, stretches out to both sides of me. I have to repeat the process again, growing another extra pair of shoulders and arms and hands. If I'd gone to med school I would be furious right now.

I never thought of vertebrae as individual bones. But once they start fusing together, and once they spread outward and grow huge cavities, stretching my body out like a rubber band—then I really notice my vertebrae. I want to reach behind my back and tug and grasp at the giant, gaping holes opening and the pairs of spiny growths jutting from them.

I flop onto my stomach as my skull became like molten glass. It stretches and warps and pulls forward and I think my skin might burst but it's becoming that hardened, flexible, paradoxical metal-like material. And it's purple.

gently caress. I know what's happening to me.

My eyes shoot open. I have to close them immediately as the flood of colors overflows the spectrum I'm used to. Smells leap out at me, plowing into my mind harder than the pain of having half the bones in my body broken and mended. I reach back, hands unsteady, and grasp where my hair should be. My wheel-fingers dig into a pair of my cushioned headrests. I know they're mine because I can feel my wheels squeezing against them.

I try to speak but all that comes out is a roar. My mouth is different and squared off and full of this lizard tongue and big fangs that are hard to work around.

Rodney looks at me. He's so happy to see me alive it makes me sick.

“Clare?” he says.

He wouldn't like what I try to say, but again, I can only roar.

And then bad goes to worse. There's a voice in my head. I can feel the borders of where it sits in my mind, back among my distant memories. It's saying how much it loves Rodney. It calls him Railruner. It's saying it wants to be with him forever. It calls itself Shadowtrack.

No, I'm not letting this happen. The instincts to fight come easily now, even though my body is strange, even though I can still feel bursts of pain each time a new car adds itself to my train. I've got to be thirty feet long now. All it takes is an urge to fight, and I'm already coiling, ready to strike.

Claws burst out of the wheels on my hands. I curl my finger and bare my fangs menacingly. Rodney looks scared—good. I'm going to tear him apart for what he's done to me, my life, and my hometown.

My eyes snap up to the moon and suddenly Shadowtrack's voice in my head is louder. My body locks up. I tumble over onto the ground, kicking and thrashing as much as my cars will allow. The whole length of my train writhes like a worm on a hot grill. My feet—christ, how many of those do I have?—tear at the ground.

“I love Railrunner and I want to have his baby and I want to rub up against him and have him stroke me and he's the best and maybe I can even get pregnant and we can be king and queen of Amusement Park Between forever as long as I do what he says because he always knows better than me!”

No, let me at him, you bitch! He doesn't deserve his perfect purple love-coaster. He deserves to die for what he did to me, let alone what he did to my town. Let me go!

A roar escapes my lips and anger like I've never known floods through me. I grasp toward Rodney with my claws but I can't reach him.

“Be quiet, dumb human. Roller coaster love is pure and eternal and nothing can keep me apart from Railrunner!”

The silver one says something about a curse. I'm beginning to realize what the curse is. My body stops responding. The curse isn't just becoming the coaster. It's having to watch yourself become the coaster.

I stand up, but it's not me. It isn't my words coming out of my mouth. I act like I don't know what's happened, then I'm gushing at Rodney and hugging him and I want to tear his throat out but Shadowtrack is squeezing me back into that corner of my mind.

Maybe the same thing happened to him. Maybe Rodney, the real Rodney, is probably in that big red bastard's head somewhere. Maybe he's screaming just as hard as I am. I hope he is.

I'm just along for the ride now. And roller coasters are immortal, so it's going to be a long ride.

Djeser fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 1, 2013

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

JosephWongKS posted:

Looking forward to your interpretation / re-imagination of Chapter 66, in which Clare gets her roller-coaster name.

Iced Cocoa posted:

And we haven't even gotten to the part of how Shadowtrack gets her name.

Part of me is saying, 'it's just getting a name'. The other part of me knows how deep Miranda's rabbit hole coaster track goes. Count me horrifascinated.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Djeser posted:

Part 2

I'm just along for the ride now.

Part 3

I'm my own worst B-movie.

All I can do is watch it happen. I've been kicking and screaming for the past ten minutes and all that's coming out of my mouth is more of her lovey-dovey bullshit. I don't mind the roller coaster body any more. I don't mind still being alive. I'd prefer being human and dead, but I might be able to deal with being a magic carnival ride if it wasn't for Shadowtrack.

She's literally nothing. She's intense, devoted, crushing nothingness waiting to be told what to do. Without Rodney around, I doubt she'd even bother to think. And I can't do anything but watch her fawn over him.

We're sitting back and watching Rodney and the black roller coaster fight it out. Me and her, plus the morons Rodney drags along with him. Shadowtrack makes this loving coo every time Rodney tries to make a one-liner. He's worse at telling jokes as a roller coaster than he was as a human, and that's saying something. I want to punch myself in the face. Rodney too. If this purple moron wasn't holding me here, I'd be ripping his train off, car by car. I bet that hurts roller coasters a lot.

Shadowtrack cringes when I think about it. That's the best I can do: make her a bit uncomfortable. We're bleeding together a little at the edges. If I have to deal with her dumb vapid love, she's going to have to deal with how much I hate her.

The black coaster rears up. “You're a joke, Railrunner! You're a selfish psychopath, like every single Red back to the very first, and you try to call me a tyrant.”

I can hear them roaring at each other from down here. I might hate every last roller coaster in the drat multiverse, but if there's one I could tolerate, it's the black one. With him alive, there's hope for sanity. He's not afraid. I wish I could have been like him. Maybe I wouldn't be like this if I had.

In between the lightning popping like fireworks between rails and powerlines, the flashbulb explosions of the fairground lights getting overloaded, and the howls echoing back and forth in the open air, the black one rushes at Rodney. They linger together for a moment, then Rodney goes toppling off the track and crashes in a pile of twisted cars on the ground.

Shadowtrack is in shock. Thundering waves of her concern for him crash against me. I clench my teeth and ball my hands into fists against the onslaught of alien emotion. My real, physical teeth grind together and my actual knuckles turn a whitish-purple.

I don't even give the realization time to reach my conscious mind. I don't want Shadowtrack to notice. Every second is precious. I break out in a tearing dash for Rodney and the others are following, but I'm going to get to him first.

By the time I reach Rodney, the blood is soaking into his seat and pouring across the underside of his cars. He looks up at me with clouded eyes. Ten minutes ago, I took pity on him. Funny how ten minutes of hell can harden you.

“Rodney, I hate you.”

He makes a dim smile so I guess he didn't hear me. I'm sick of that smile, sick of everything to do with this. There's a deep red gash that runs along the underside of his first car. I sink my claws into it and pull and he gurgles and more blood swells out over my wheels.

I understand the black coaster's plan. He wants Rodney in a coma, unable to do anything but still alive, alive forever so there will never be another red roller coaster born.

I want Rodney dead. He's what keeps Shadowtrack ticking. If he's gone, so is she, and I'll be free. I'd hunt down red roller coasters for the rest of eternity if that's the price of freedom.

Another tsunami of fear and grief bursts from Shadowtrack and nearly drowns me. My body locks up and the silver coaster pushes me away so he can look at Rodney's wounds. My train twists a bit as I roll to the side. It took a constant mental effort just to control my own body, and now I need rest. But I can't rest until he's dead.

“Will he make it?” I squeeze through my locked jaw.

“The way I see it, Railrunner has a ten percent chance.”

My delight crashes against Shadowtrack's dread.

“So, you're saying he may not live!” It's a good thing I sound hysterical or they might get suspicious.

I lay back and close my eyes. I have to stifle a few laughs. Shadowtrack's concern tugs at my heartstrings but I ignore her. After a few uneven breaths, I crawl on my front legs toward Rodney. He's barely breathing and his eyes are sliding shut.

“Stay with me!” Shadowtrack forces past my lips.

No. He's dying, I won. You can curl up into a little bitch ball and sob yourself to sleep.

I haul myself up on top of Rodney. I'm close enough to his face that the others can't see. I let loose the grin I've been holding in as a couple tears run down my hood. I'm shaking and I'm holding his head in my hands. This is all going to be over. I crush my face against his. I pin his lips together and jam his nostrils shut with my big stupid roller coaster snout. His breathing was already shallow. He trembles a little bit, then he goes limp, then I go limp and slide off to the side.

The others are saying things. I can't hear what they're saying, and I don't care. I win. Rodney's dead. My life is mine.

I close my eyes, just for a moment. I rest, and for the first time since Rodney came back, I feel happy.

Djeser fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 3, 2013

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

SSNeoman posted:

I never did figure it out, what was up with all the loving animal cruelty?

Rodney is a murderous sarcastic psychopath rear end in a top hat, and that's why we hate love him so much.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Djeser posted:

Part 3

I close my eyes, just for a moment. I rest, and for the first time since Rodney came back, I feel happy.
Part 4

The others' voices are distant and happy. Maybe they're glad that Rodney is dead too.

I can hear growling and snarling, though. I recognize it from all the times it's been leveled at me.

No. No!

I open my eyes and lift my head from the ground. Rodney's standing. His coils are twisting behind him. Every concept of injustice I've ever known doesn't even come close to describing how much hate I feel right now.

Then I feel that dumb, vapid, empty love blasting out of Shadowtrack's mind. I don't just feel it crash against my thoughts—I feel it as if it's my love. It's there, inside of me, forced into my mind. She makes me love him and I can't fight it. I'm happy and I hate it.

Rodney roars and Shadowtrack gets giddy and I curl my lips so that I can keep myself from smiling. She wants him to beat the black roller coaster and I want to see him die and I want him to beat the black roller coaster. I love Rodney so much I just want to stroke his chest and rip out his heart and eat it.

I'm still struggling to get ground beneath all of my feet when a shock wave crashes over me. If metal skin could get goosebumps, that's what this feels like. Gravity rotates sideways, then upwards, and I cling onto the ground with my wheel-claws as tightly as I can.

All around me, the rides are moving. Like a rippling, vibrating note, I can feel Rodney's will prickling across my hide. The horse and the bumper car and the silver coaster look like they're having a religious experience. Shadowtrack is babbling blissfully inside my head. I force my feet up and down, pushing myself toward where the two roller coasters are fighting.

Fantasies swell and crumble as Shadowtrack forces them to life in my mind and I crush them back down. She hugs Rodney and I push his sword against his neck, he whirls around and she's dueling with him and I lunge for his chest and then she's nestled against him, her train coiled around him and then I suffocate him like a boa constrictor. Each victory lets me inch closer to the fighting coasters.

And then none of the struggle even matters any more. Rodney's got the black roller coaster tied up. He summons up searing flames and crackling lightning and pours both into him. The black coaster's cars start to twist from the heat. They warp and the paint bubbles and the plastic seats sear and blister. In drips and hunks of molten metal, the black coaster's skin begins to slough off. I can see muscle and organs as they turn the gray of cooked meat before blackening, charred and cracked. He's still screaming, somehow, like the screech of tearing steel as a skyscraper comes toppling down.

My hands hit dirt as I belch oily bile onto the ground. Shadowtrack and I agree on something for once: we're both disgusted. But as soon as I've wiped my lips, her repulsive, empty love swells back up like a growing migraine.

With the black coaster gone, it's up to me. I'm the only one that can stop this, for everyone's sake.

The force of Rodney's will fades and I can relax. He leaves the charred husk of the black roller coaster on the tracks and comes down to the ground with a heavy slam. I'm suddenly terrified for him and I'm so glad he's alive and I rush toward him and hug his chest as tightly as I can.

“Railrunner, you did it!” I say. Or does Shadowtrack say it?

It had to be her. I wouldn't have called him that stupid roller coaster name. Then why did I do it? I let go. The others are congratulating him. I put my hand to my hood and rub slowly.

It's getting worse. Shadowtrack is closer. At first, she was like a voice in a crowded room—now she's among my thoughts. She's feeding me thoughts. She wants to make me part of her and I can't keep myself straight.

“Before we go home, Clare has to have a proper name,” the silver coaster says.

I look up. Shadowtrack's dumb grin blends with my sneer to make a blankly surprised expression.

“A name? I already have a name,” I say with as much sarcasm as Shadowtrack lets me have. 'It's Shadowtrack,' I almost add, but catch myself. This is getting harder.

“Ah, but it is a human name. For now on you use that name when you are indeed human. Anybody here have any suggestions?” The silver coaster looks away from me.

“Clare,” I snap, then bury my head in my hands. They ignore me.

Shadowtrack's voice rings through my head. “I know what my name is destined to be. I heard Railrunner calling me Shadowtrack in a dream!”

That's really romantic. Or maybe it isn't and Shadowtrack is making me think it's romantic.

“How about 'track' being the end of her name, like my mother's?” Railrunner asks. I mean Rodney. I'm not calling him that stupid roller coaster name.

“That sounds good,” I say. It does sound good. I don't want to be called Shadowtrack, obviously, even though it's a really pretty name and I was destined to have that name because I saw it in a dream, but Whatever-track sounds good.

No, it's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I'm starting to have trouble telling where Shadowtrack is overlapping with me. Why is this so easy for her?

“What about Venomtrack?”

“No. I'm Clare.”

“Flowertrack?”

“No!”

I haven't wanted to admit it to myself, but this is getting worse and worse. I know where Shadowtrack comes from. She's me.

“Magictrack?”

“No, that sounds cheesy.”

She's the worst parts of me. She's the girl who was okay with dating a guy who wasn't really interested in her and talked all the time about maybe one day going to an amusement park. She's the girl who put up with a cheating bastard during senior year because she was afraid of not having a boyfriend. All of the things I hate about myself, all of the things I wanted to change, all condensed into the person who's taking over my body and my mind.

I was wrong. The curse isn't being trapped in a body with someone you hate. The curse is becoming someone you hate.

“I think I might have one,” the bumper car says.

“What is it?” the carousel horse asks.

“How about Shadowtrack?”

I throw all my will into this. I have to say no. My cheek twitches a little and I want to say yes so badly. It's my destiny. I want everyone to call me Shadowtrack and I want to live with Railrunner forever. I want none of it but Shadowtrack makes me want all of it.

“I like it.”

Please no I don't want to be Shadowtrack just let me die let me be tortured kill me like the black coaster but I don't want it to end like this my name is clare i'm a human my name is clare and i hate rodney and i hate railrunner dont please pleese plese

“So, Shadowtrack it is then,” Railrunner grinned at her.

“You bet," Shadowtrack sighed.

THE END

Djeser fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 5, 2013

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

Furthermore, the fact their fingers are tipped with ungainly wheels will never stop being stupid.

Go ahead, try to go through your day with some toy truck wheels taped to the ends of your fingers. Or barring that, cookies. At least then you get to eat them afterwards!

Then remember that these wheels supposedly spin freely, making it even more of a clusterfuck to get anything done since they'd just wheel themselves off anything you tried to grip.

Then imagine what getting a hangwheel must feel like. Ouch.

Their anatomy in general is so dumb and made worse by the fact that they're supposed to be blood and flesh underneath the roller coaster skin. If you look back at the roller coaster birth pictures (DO NOT LOOK BACK AT THE ROLLER COASTER BIRTH PICTURES) she just doesn't include anything past the 'legs' because it doesn't make sense but that makes everything make even less sense.

Which is why those fight scenes she wrote were so unsatisfying, because it's just dragons fighting each other. There isn't even an attempt to work with interesting anatomy, and funnily enough, now that I think about it, the only time Railrunner actually goes on tracks is when he's being all roller coaster junkie at the temple, so there's no attempt to work in what might be unique habits of roller coasters. I was thinking about Chinese dragons fighting each other as an analogy for how coaster fights might work but now that I think about it, what would make a lot more sense would be some sort of race-jousting on the tracks. Because tracks are supposed to be like their native habitat, right? So you race around to build up speed, then come crashing together/try to spear the other coaster. And considering the 'amusement park ride bending' power that got pulled out of Railrunner's rear end, particularly powerful coasters could twist their tracks around to get a better angle and try to sabotage the other coaster's tracks by making bumps to derail them or slow them down.

That took me ten minutes to come up with and I don't even like this story. I'm just upset at the unused potential of loving god drat roller coasters.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Iced Cocoa posted:

Also, have the second drawing, and guess at what chapter it's from and guess Railrunner's mood and what he's thinking!

Cheat key: He's reading about how he can change Clare into Shadowtrack.

What's with the anatomy on this drawing anyway? It's bugging me but I don't know enough anatomy to figure out why. Nor can I find any pictures of body builders shot from their side so I got nothing to compare this to.

Chapter: any, thinking about : himself

I think the thing with the anatomy is that we're supposed to be seeing him from the side, but the lats are so far back that it looks more like a 3/4ths view, and with the way his necklace falls, it makes his chest look really weird. Plus, he's got that big bulge on his lowermost abs and then his body just kind of sweeps away into genderless smoothness between his legs--the problem with this being that it looks kind of unnatural to be so neuter. Usually stuff like action figures/male dolls have a fairly large space between the legs that's just blank but he's got nothing. or maybe that last-ab bulge is his dick

Also massive cheekbones, wheels for fingers, and a complete disregard of any coasterbits below the legs.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Kjoery posted:

Why is the man on the right's arm so wrong

Same problem as the earlier picture of Railrunner, I think. The torso is drawn as if it's flat against the back of the chair, but the front shoulder is placed as if he's leaning his other shoulder against the chair, so it seems too far forward of its position.

That, and his wrist is wrong. It looks as if he's got no wrist, and on top of that, his forearm is a bit too long. Elbow to knuckles should be about the same as elbow to shoulder (at least it is on my body) but it's a lot longer.

That's not the only thing wrong with that particular one, though. She's using one-point perspective but consider where the vanishing point would be and try to reconcile the perspective you see on the laptop and the book. Hell, just the laptop and the books make no sense at all, and don't look at where Rodney's legs disappear off to, because if you look there, you'll notice that the chair has no seat and he's apparently standing with his butt up against the back of a seatless chair.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

SSNeoman posted:

You know what's funny? If Railrunner didn't have that bullshit magic potion, he would have been another notch on Ironwheel's belt. The dude is badass enough to take down Mary Sue coasters time and time again.

:irony:

There is no loving :ironicat: big enough for this book.

Sadly Photoshop had difficulties with my 39304x28900 image with three layers of recursion so you'll have to settle for two.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

YellerBill posted:

I think it's the lack of shadow, especially compared to the foreground.

:negative: I am critiquing artwork of sentient amusement park attractions. What am I doing with my life.

Also the fact that the perspective makes no logical sense, which makes it look flat, so without any shadow or fog or perspective to add depth it all looks like a painted-on backdrop.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Voltin Bolt posted:

Ugh. UGH. It's so loving blatant anymore. It takes away the ONLY INTERESTING THING ABOUT THEM, which is the fact that they're biomechanical centipede monsters. I'm seriously tempted to ask why she doesn't draw their bodies anymore because the old color art was miles better, but I think it's probably dangerous to care that much.

:sigh:

It's not just the physical fact of the roller coasters not having their trains with them. Think of the variety of expression that comes from humans depicting themselves in art. Except now, they're roller coasters. How is a roller coaster going to think of themselves? How would a roller coaster want to depict themselves? What parts of their bodies would be most important? What does 'regal' and 'awe-inspiring' look like to a roller coaster? A longer train? More elaborate seats? Is a broader roller coaster more handsome than a thin roller coaster? What iconography of power do you have, other than the Bullshit Medallion Augu Ra?

Take those statues in front of the temple. Why are they there? Are they the ancient rulers who commissioned the temple? Are they the gods of the temple? Are they lamassu-style protective spirits? None of these seem that consistent with the canine-like crouching pose and generic appearance. Kind of like she just copied the lions on the steps of the New York Public Library.

Ignoring what the perspective does to the architecture, the design of the temple is also such missed potential. Again, you've got a wholly inhuman creature building a temple. It's not just like a furry dragon built it, it's a giant centipede dragon that has wheels for fingers that built it. And yet it's just big blocks of brick/stone without any particular shape. I don't even know what to make of the crenelated thing in the lower left corner, and the window in the upper right is even more bland than the rest of it, and why the hell is there a wall of bricks just sitting inside the stone?

Like everything else, it's a concept that could actually have something creative (temple like a circus tent? all-rails inside to make it difficult for non-coasters? most holy places hidden where only roller coasters could reach? lots of ramps and slides in the interior? long rooms for roller coasters to stretch out their trains? guard-rails around the perimeter for temple guards to roll around on?) and there's no thought put into it because it's only a backdrop for Railrunner because, let's be honest, Avatar: The Last Airbender had Aang training in an airbender temple, so of course Railrunner should train in a roller coaster temple.

e: dear god why do I care enough to write that much

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Bobbin works himself too hard to get the last installment out. He goes out at night to pick up something to drink from the local minimart. He forgets that the minimart is out by the amusement park. He remembers this all too late.

The next morning all that remains of the minimart is a charred wreck with 'gently caress RAILRUNNER' scrawled in the unfortunate cashier's blood. The tracks of a hundred stupid finger-wheels trail off into the distance.

What I'm saying is take your time.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I wouldn't want to see that because it's best to watch this sort of thing from afar. It's a lot different to quietly observe a rhinoceros from afar (and snicker at it) than it is to have an angry rhinoceros charging at you.

I agree, though, that the incidental details are some of the most disappointing, because it's where you could be really creative and show what things rides would make for themselves but it's just human stuff all the time.

Maybe they're just complete hacks who can't make technology that doesn't derive from human technology, being human 'technology' themselves. So despite being terrible at using them, they just can't come up with a better bed than a human bed, or a better chair than a human chair.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

JosephWongKS posted:

But Miranda Leek Thunderbark said that “However, we have technology that is far more advanced than any humans". Are you calling her him a liar, hmm?

I'm saying rollercoasters are assholes with inflated egos and superiority complexes who think that being rollercoasters make them better than humans. Based on Railrunner, that's not far from the truth. So of course they'd think they had amazing technology when all they can do is make equivalents of human technology.

e:vv Yeah, Amusement Park Narnia is remarkably backwards in terms of technology. What if the created rides lack some sort of basic sense of ingenuity or creativity? That's why everything is so bland and copied from humans, because they don't have that ability to solve problems with new solutions, they can only copy old solutions.

Maybe that's what makes reds so special, because they're born and not created, so they're capable of ruling because they can solve problems creatively. Something hosed up though, or Ironwheel taught himself ingenuity, and that's how he was able to come to power, because no one was planning on another roller coaster with creativity besides the current red. Railrunner's gang throw themselves behind him because they just want to follow a red, no matter if he's psychotic, while Ironwheel is trying to consolidate his power so that he can uplift all the rides and they don't have to submit to tyranny.

So there's another explanation of how Railrunner is really the villain and Ironwheel is really the good guy.

Djeser fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 16, 2013

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

SSNeoman posted:

EDIT: Holy poo poo guys check out the book's Amazon page. (:nws:)

...I kinda wanna read that last one :stare:

While it is funny, the reason those show up are because Twisted was featured on The Worst Things For Sale, which also featured the latter three and whose author, Drew, did the vocals for Pleasure Nexus, which is...this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_JrCU8F-vs

That blog is where I found out about Twisted, then I posted about it on SA and someone said 'hey there's a thread in Book Barn' and I was like :aaaaa:

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Pick posted:

I think a lot of the confusion comes from the fact that I am not convinced she has ever actually seen a roller coaster.

Maybe she's like Rodney and loves roller coasters despite never having gone to an amusement park in his life.

Write What You Know!

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Mr.Radar posted:

Or for that matter, why is it the "Amusement Park Between"? What is it "between"? I think Bobbin Threadbare has exactly the right idea by changing it to "the Park Beyond" which makes much more sense considering that the realm is supposed to be the afterlife for amusement park rides.

It's between...amusement parks? As in like it's between all amusement parks, like some kinda wormhole that exists, connecting all the amusement parks together.

Still there's better names for that, like Amusement Park Nexus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

A horror best goldmined

• Locked thread