Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
I like how all of the art of carousel horses shows them with normal hooves, yet they are totally able to thumb through books and handle keys etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
Thanks, now I'm going to imagine roller coasters sleep in really big dog beds. :allears:

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
I love that nobody can tell what color he is just because he has a coat on. His loving face and hands (and presumably legs, but really nothing past the roller coasters' torsos ever matters in either the art or story, does it) are fully visible. Couldn't they have just spray painted him, his skin is metal :rolleyes:

Also if roller coasters can only be harmed by each other, why would they make any other rides fight them in an arena?

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX

attackbunny posted:

Not to mention, the coat must be twenty feet long. What's stopping it from flying or up towards Railrunner's back end? Does it have an individual sleeve for each leg? Is it held on with bungee cords? Really, it just proves that Miranda Leek barely remembers that coaster trains extend past their first few cars.
Okay, so I tried a quick doodle of the general idea I think she was going for anatomically - a centipede dragon. At least I think that's what was intended, until the roller coasters all grew abs and had everything after the first three cars surgically removed.

Imagine any kind of a coat or covering on that thing that'd obscure all the red parts? I can't. Also remember that the first four pairs of limbs are the arms, so whenever it's "standing up" it still has seven cars trailing it uselessly.

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
All of the drawings and descriptions treating the rides like anthropomorphic biped creatures really makes me think of the countless deviantART OCs with fuckoff huge wings which are optional / don't appear in shapeshifted forms / retractable / can be made invisible because they're too hard to account for. Don't design a character with a bunch of ostentatious bullshit details if you're not going to stick to it! :argh:

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX

Dreggon posted:

bahahahaha

e: just look at it holy gently caress

e2: ok ok no seriously think about it a human is supposed to fit into one of those seats so imagine how big the bed + equipment must be, then think about how big that equipment needs to be (i.e. a tenth the size) then look at the horse and :unsmigghh:
Don't forget about how long that bed must be, unless 2/3 of him is just flopped onto the floor out of frame.

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
How can she possibly think her art has improved? Compare any of the old images to any of the new ones - there were actual backgrounds, the roller coasters had full bodies, and their teeth could feasibly fit into their mouths. Now they've all been diluted down to abs, giant arms, and insufferably smug wedge-heads that sprout fangs everywhere when they need to get dramatic.

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX

pathetic little tramp posted:

Holy art style change batman, this doesn't look nearly as bad, it's as if more thought went into it. I think this is what makes me most annoyed - the premise is kind of goofy but it could work. If only all the rules for her world weren't inherently contradictory, if only all her characters weren't scummy assholes who we want to see die, if only if only if only, we could have a respectable story on our hands.
More shading =/= better art. The background consists of nothing but rocks, random tracks, and more fog than Turok, and the characters are still whittled down to torsos with one pair of arms. Check out any of the layouts on the older work, you can actually see everyone's body and they're interacting with detailed environments.

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
Every time I see this one, I can only think, "those poor cats" :cry:

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
Holy poo poo is that ever the best example of Torso Disorder. Look at that loving thing. Remember that those "legs" are just the second pair of arms on that car. The designated "legs" aren't even supposed to be for two more pairs iirc. What once was a biomechanical lizardpede is now a halfassed, disembodied torso, floating in a void. Obviously she found alive rollercoasters to be too tedious / boring / unsatisfying to draw and Flanderized them into smirking abs. If I looked at that thing without any context and tried to guess what it was supposed to be, I'd probably say some kind of hosed up anthro robot stegosaur frog fursona.

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX

Iced Cocoa posted:

Railrunner drowning I wish. What the hell is this perspective anyway?
Good lord the anatomy on here is all kinds of hosed up, even discounting the fact that it's supposed to be a rollercoaster. Look at those lumpy-rear end feet, what the christ? Also take note of the magical morphing torso, look at his first car or whatever is the one with his first pair of arms on it (I guess his head doesn't count as a car?) and compare it to any of the torso void drawings. The sizes and placements of limbs and poo poo don't match up at all.

Also I still like how all of these take place in featureless brown crosshatch hell.

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
The racist spiders are still the funniest poo poo ever. They were never important in the least either, were they?

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
lmao that goofy motherfucker has a seat piercing, that's the dumbest detail ever.

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX

Iced Cocoa posted:

Temple of the Red

She has now given completely up on displaying anything but four limbs and head and cart.
Ugh. UGH. It's so loving blatant anymore. It takes away the ONLY INTERESTING THING ABOUT THEM, which is the fact that they're biomechanical centipede monsters. I'm seriously tempted to ask why she doesn't draw their bodies anymore because the old color art was miles better, but I think it's probably dangerous to care that much.

:sigh:

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX

Iced Cocoa posted:

This is Thunderbark injured after his fight with Ironwheel in the human world.
Ironwheel must have at least one abnormally tiny hand to have made the clawmarks on his face, there.

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
The only reason they have wheels at all is because they're roller coasters. Same reason they have seats, those don't do jack poo poo for them (besides being a location for obligatory piercings) but they have to be there because roller coaster. That's it. You know that's the only reason they even have token cars on them past the torso now too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
Hahahaha his stupid cloak, of course it still only covers his anthropomorphized torso. Remind me again how the gently caress anybody missed his enormous red rear end trailing around like a lumpy tapeworm when he was running around in a ~trenchcoat~?

• Locked thread