Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just watched the Lightspeed Rosie where an armed gunmam hijacks a bus but then the bus passengers all team up to save his life, and then he drives the bus to save all of their lives and turns himself in and promises to change.

That really kicked rear end! That episode didn't even need a monster!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

It's so blatant I always assumed Toei did it as a joke to US fans. Remember the second time they used those suits it went much better.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I just watched the Lightspeed Rosie where an armed gunmam hijacks a bus but then the bus passengers all team up to save his life, and then he drives the bus to save all of their lives and turns himself in and promises to change.

That really kicked rear end! That episode didn't even need a monster!

GoGoV did that as an episode as well

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Agent Rush posted:

The Non-PR Sentai stuff was the most baffling bit of Super Megaforce to me. If they'd said "no unadapted suits" and cut them all out, I'd understand that. If they said "who cares, throw it all in", I'd understand that too. But the way they cut some and left others made no sense at all. I just can't believe Super somehow ended up worse than Megaforce. :(

Has Beast Morphers Season 2 hit Netflix yet? I've tried to watch it on Nick's app, but it's such a pain to use. I don't even think it has all the episodes, but hell if I can tell one way or the other.

I think the us aired 8 episodes so far, while the UK will finish airing it next week. Itll be a while for US netflix.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

RBX posted:

It's so blatant I always assumed Toei did it as a joke to US fans. Remember the second time they used those suits it went much better.

The Zyuranger tribute episode was like just before the finale and didn't even play the song, it was weird.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

MorningMoon posted:

I think the us aired 8 episodes so far, while the UK will finish airing it next week. Itll be a while for US netflix.

Ah, ok. Thanks, looks like I'll be struggling with Nick's app some more then.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

spoilers for Beast Morphers in the UK are out.

They revealed Evox's origin. He was originally Venjix.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Nodosaur posted:

I can't believe they are following up an 11 year old cliffhanger. How is this a better anniversary season then any of the actual anniversary seasons?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Chip Lynn's just like, this is my last hurrah. I'll get Austin St. John back, I'll bring back Venjix, I'll just keep the mic instead of dropping it.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Nodosaur posted:

Now tie in RPM Venjix with Forever Red Venjix and the circle will be complete.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Funky Valentine posted:

Now tie in RPM Venjix with Forever Red Venjix and the circle will be complete.

I'd rather they not. Venjix works best as Dr. K, and now Nate's, personal responsibility. Making him be some other old villain would reduce the impact of the hand they played in his rise(s) to power.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Nodosaur posted:

I'd rather they not. Venjix works best as Dr. K, and now Nate's, personal responsibility. Making him be some other old villain would reduce the impact of the hand they played in his rise(s) to power.

they beat Venjix at the end of RPM and he gets sent back to the past where he becomes the secret creator of the machine empire.

and then he survives his destruction in forever red, and becomes THIS evox.

Is easy to fix.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That'd be hard to pull off now because his becoming Evox specifically had to deal with messing with the Cell Shift Morphers from RPM.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I don't think the words DEEPEST LORE have ever been more appropriate. Chip's wild last ride is insane.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Just make it a pilot test for a physical body with a backup consciousness that convinces it to merge with Morphing Grid Energy for ultimate powah.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

so the finale aired a couple days ago
some neat ideas, ultimately morph-x running through human-dna let them deal deadly damage to venjix and save the day, at the cost of the towers. The season didn't grab me entirely, but there were some really good ideas here and there. Interested in seeing where Power Rangers goes from here, but the world building Chip did here really enriches the show, i think.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, I just finished the whole series recently. Overall, Beast Morphers wasn't the best show but it was definitely a step in the right direction for me (and much like its Sentai counterpart J/Steel is probably the best part), hopefully things will continue to improve in Dino Fury.

Out of curiosity, have they said anything regarding when Season 2 is supposed to resume in the US yet?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Larryb posted:

Yeah, I just finished the whole series recently. Overall, Beast Morphers wasn't the best show but it was definitely a step in the right direction for me (and much like its Sentai counterpart J/Steel is probably the best part), hopefully things will continue to improve in Dino Fury.

Out of curiosity, have they said anything regarding when Season 2 is supposed to resume in the US yet?

Concrete plans for airdates? That doesn't sound like Nick.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Concrete plans for airdates? That doesn't sound like Nick.

Good point

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also fun fact regarding Beast Morphers:

Not only does Evox turn out to be Venjix but he’s actually been played by the same guy for the entire series (Randall Ewing is just an anagram of Venjix’s original VA Andrew Laing)

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Here's an interview with the showrunner for Dino Fury

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I saw that. A lot of people are mad about it (especially the serialization part) because this fandom can never know peace.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think they could use a good dose of serialization. Some of my favorite seasons have very little overarching plot.

Lightspeed rescue for example has a few mysteries here and there that see eventual answers but no real overarching narrative and it doesn't really need one. All of MMPR is essentially a procedural.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

The only negative emotion I have about that interview is them talking about how the lockdown went so well in New Zealand that they can go back to normal with minimal cases and are on top of them. :smith:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I was looking to move to new Zealand earlier this year but I don't think they'll take Americans now. You have to have a job offer and nobody is going to wait an extra 14 days on top of the time it takes to move even if I have an attractive skill set.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Larryb posted:

Also fun fact regarding Beast Morphers:

Not only does Evox turn out to be Venjix but he’s actually been played by the same guy for the entire series (Randall Ewing is just an anagram of Venjix’s original VA Andrew Laing)

So the crazy theory was completely right? I appreciate the show even more now.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Geostomp posted:

So the crazy theory was completely right? I appreciate the show even more now.

Yup, it's actually a pretty well done twist by Power Rangers standards. Dr. K even pops up in two episodes of the series as well along with a cameo by Colonel Truman in the finale.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jul 5, 2020

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Sometimes I wish we could have the same team with people coming and leaving like the early days. I don't know if it would go over well or not and its harder and it would get harder to fit in with the footage/settings of each season. It would be fun to see if it was possible.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The one weird thing in that interview is where the interviewer states power rangers as a show for 2-6 year olds. I've always thought of it as being aimed at 5-10 year olds. The kind of superhero show for 2-6 is more like Paw Patrol or PJ Masks. 5 is around when my kid aged out of those shows and aged into Power Rangers

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The one weird thing in that interview is where the interviewer states power rangers as a show for 2-6 year olds. I've always thought of it as being aimed at 5-10 year olds. The kind of superhero show for 2-6 is more like Paw Patrol or PJ Masks. 5 is around when my kid aged out of those shows and aged into Power Rangers

Yeah that's a pretty wild assessment of your target demo. Even the toys are probably too complicated for a good chunk of the 2-6 range.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
That does explain the constant dialog and refusal to let anything be established by implication though

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well I think it wasn't the showrunner who said that age grouping, it was the person asking questions

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

People are putting in some real work getting the Lightning Collection figures more accurate:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCRTW-zgqgJ/

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
dumb idea that just popped into my head: Boom should do a Scorpion Rain graphic novel

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Dawgstar posted:

People are putting in some real work getting the Lightning Collection figures more accurate:

I always got the feeling that, like the comic characters, these were deliberately sculpted to be Not Too Accurate so that actors can't claim likeness royalties. It keeps with the Power Rangers ethos of management's boot stomping on the worker's face forever.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Dawgstar posted:

Zelu is a next level customizer, I've been following their work for years. Hard as I try, I don't think I'll ever be able to paint faces as good so some of these people do.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

https://www.theilluminerdi.com/2020/07/08/hasbro-end-power-rangers/

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Quoting myself from Toku thread

I'm going to have to call a hard skeptical on that until we get official word.

I'm pretty sure every existing PR IP is tied with Sentai and Toei- if Hasbro left Toei, they wouldn't be able to use any existing IP. Everything would be effectively over.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

True, which would also mean they couldn’t use the Boom comic either since those primarily feature official Toei designs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
They had just announced a new showrunner, who interviewed with a fansite like last week. The timeline for this rumor coincides with the end of the contract that Saban signed with Nickelodeon in 2018 a few months prior to selling to Hasbro.

Given the launch and failure of The Hub in the prior decade, this probably has more to do with Hasbro's network negotiations than anything. They clearly wanted to build a home for their branding somewhere but the market wasn't there for it and cable TV is drying up anyway. Saying "there's no orders for more episodes after this so we'll just wrap up production if nobody wants any" as a way to see if anyone, whether channels or streaming services, want to jump in.