Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Look, shape shifting is just a thing that happens when you morph

Look at Doggie or Justin for proof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Lightspeed rescues cast was

Joe Airplane
Dana Swanson(daughter of mentor, Captain Ron Swanson)
Miss Lady Scientist
Carter Grayson
Eric Trump
Louie Dae Kim
Tanya Swole
These names are pretty perfect. :allears:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Sockser posted:

That makes sense, I imagine the Zyu ones are sized for a small Asian man and not a svelte American martial artist

I believe the Japanese guy who wore it was the same guy who was every leading Kamen Rider for years now. He's like 5'9 but has a big frame (which is funny when leading Riders are these scrawny boy band types.)

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Burkion posted:

Look at Doggie or Justin for proof

And Shou Lonpou! He even gains a human mouth.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Ramirez gets a girdle.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

So which seasons was it where the original sentai character was male but the ranger was female? I remember one season where a yellow ranger had a massive bulge in Sentai footage which always made me die from laughter.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Testekill posted:

So which seasons was it where the original sentai character was male but the ranger was female? I remember one season where a yellow ranger had a massive bulge in Sentai footage which always made me die from laughter.

First occurrence is actually, well, the first ever season. Zyuranger only had one female on the team, compared to MMPR's two.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Testekill posted:

Zyuranger(MMPR S1), Gingaman(Lost Galaxy), GoGoV(Lightspeed Rescue), Timeranger(Time Force), and Gaoranger(Wild Force). The last one (it's either him or the one from Timeranger I believe) is especially easy to tell as the suit actor happened to be particularly...well-built in the Sentai

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Larryb posted:

Zyuranger(MMPR S1), Gingaman(Lost Galaxy), GoGoV(Lightspeed Rescue), Timeranger(Time Force), and Gaoranger(Wild Force). The last one (it's either him or the one from Timeranger I believe) is especially easy to tell as the suit actor happened to be particularly...well-built in the Sentai

IIRC that's why they gave her super strength powers lol. I think that was the first time they bothered trying to explain the gendered costume inconsistencies.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Fun fact; whenFiguarts put outAmerican MMPR figures, they used the male (no skirt) lower body and a female (has breasts) upper body for Trini's. Clever consistency with both sets of source material.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I always hate when the Sentai team is made up of five guys and one lone girl on the team.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Saban knew if he had %40 girl cast he could have %40 girl audience and have a more valuable IP and I wonder why sentai doesn't seem to care.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Saban knew if he had %40 girl cast he could have %40 girl audience and have a more valuable IP and I wonder why sentai doesn't seem to care.

Not much to wonder about

Japan is the answer.

Like it's super easy to go Lul Sexism Japan but it's actually kind of a huge issue over there. It's slowly getting better sort of but basically Girls have Girl Things and Boys have Boy Things.

You get some fun undercurrent gender politics in the original 1954 Godzilla actually which was interesting to see.

Like, there's a reason why Japan's answer to Wonder Woman, their most iconic and popular female super hero

Is Cutie Honey

Who is entirely a fetish thing made to appeal to men and 99% of every joke, scene, plot, or story involving her devolves into She's Sexy.

Sailor Moon is the second closest to her in theory, though you have more obscure ones if you'd like they tend to come from straight up comedies though, and whoo boy.

It is getting better by and large, sort of, but the old guard still think in really old fashioned ways. See the last Dino Sentai where the STATED REASON for there not being two girls to begin with was because girls aren't strong.

But it is getting ever so slightly better. Just, yeah. Different culture, different norms, different markets.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

To me it's like the Fetengi not realizing that they could profit off selling clothes to women

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Al Borland Corp. posted:

To me it's like the Fetengi not realizing that they could profit off selling clothes to women

It's worse in Kamen Rider.

The first non Movie Rider female who didn't die since the franchise started was in Wizard, and that was because she jsut happened to get the closest thing to mass produced powers as there were.

Dragon Ball has finally added more than just A Girl that can fight at least. The ratio is still hilariously skewed but you know.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well I think GT was ostensibly supposed to be Pan's franchise until they panicked and made it DBZ 2

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Well I think GT was ostensibly supposed to be Pan's franchise until they panicked and made it DBZ 2

Oh they recently did an interview about that

Pan was going to be able to become a SSJ, but they decided that'd make her too violent and strong and they needed her to be meek and lady like for Goku to save.

I'm not joking you can look this up. This is from one of the main writers.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Dragon Ball Garbage Trash

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

It took til Wizard to not kill off a female rider? Jesus.

loving Tackle, cursing the whole franchise.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

It took til Wizard to not kill off a female rider? Jesus.

loving Tackle, cursing the whole franchise.

I can and will defend Tackle to my dying breath don't you try me

And I should clarify- Female Rider in a series.

First female Rider that didn't die in a movie would be Kivala in Decade but she never showed up in the series

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The last three episodes of Teenagers with Attitude was the Masked Rider crossover and pretty hilarious.

I think my favorite audio clip from the series is now Tommy saying "Dex, what has happened to your planet, and what are those crystals... on your face?"

The end of the part two episode has a speech by Dex intercut with a speech by the same actor in another movie explaining the crisis in some war torn European country.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Burkion posted:

I can and will defend Tackle to my dying breath don't you try me

And I should clarify- Female Rider in a series.

First female Rider that didn't die in a movie would be Kivala in Decade but she never showed up in the series

Or ever again in the franchise to my knowledge (even in human form), which is kind of weird to be honest. In fact, pretty much everyone who isn't Decade or Diend just kind of drops off the face of the earth after that movie.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also should be noted

Wizard is also the only series to have a female Rider that doesn't die at all!

To this day! (Respawns still count as dying)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Burkion posted:

Also should be noted

Wizard is also the only series to have a female Rider that doesn't die at all!

To this day! (Respawns still count as dying)

Nico didn't die in Ex-Aid (nor did Natsumi but as I said we never see her again after Decade/W so she might as well have).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 14, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

Nico didn't die in Ex-Aid (nor did Natsumi but as I said we never see her again after Decade/W so she might as well have).

I thought Nico did

That'd be my mistake

Natsumi only counts for movie Lady Riders, not series

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Larryb posted:

Or ever again in the franchise to my knowledge (even in human form), which is kind of weird to be honest. In fact, pretty much everyone who isn't Decade or Diend just kind of drops off the face of the earth after that movie.

Narutaki shows up periodically! :v:

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

This too, is Decade's fault.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah right, forgot about him. But to my knowledge neither Natsumi or her grandfather appear in anything following that movie for whatever reason (though if anyone's seen Kiva then you know what happens when normal humans try to use those powers).

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I've watched countless hours of PR and Super Sentai, but I've never been able to sit through more than an episode or two of Kamen Rider.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

JT Smiley posted:

I've watched countless hours of PR and Super Sentai, but I've never been able to sit through more than an episode or two of Kamen Rider.
I was the same, untill Ex-Aid. That show hooked me.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

JT Smiley posted:

Which have you tried?

Because Kamen Rider has some WILDLY different shows depending on what you want to see

If you want super cheese, the original 1971 series is actually kind of amazing even if a solid third of the episodes are pure trash. I've spent the entire year watching every episode with friends once per get together and we're on the final two and it's been a wild goddamn ride.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

One of the things I like about Rider is they tell very different stories, focusing a lot on relationships between more fleshed out characters. Sentai characters are generally more like archetypes to occupy a role within the team's identity. They can be a lot of fun, but they're very broad and don't grow a whole lot. Which is fine, I love sentai for its optimism and brightness. Rider is just fundamentally darker, it's built right into the DNA of the franchise starting with how Ichigou got his powers.

And that's another part I like in Rider. The heroes powers are always linked to the villains. Not a separate power built in opposition, but the same thing used for good purposes. That's a different kind of optimism, that nothing is intrinsically evil.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

One of the things I like about Rider is they tell very different stories, focusing a lot on relationships between more fleshed out characters. Sentai characters are generally more like archetypes to occupy a role within the team's identity. They can be a lot of fun, but they're very broad and don't grow a whole lot. Which is fine, I love sentai for its optimism and brightness. Rider is just fundamentally darker, it's built right into the DNA of the franchise starting with how Ichigou got his powers.

And that's another part I like in Rider. The heroes powers are always linked to the villains. Not a separate power built in opposition, but the same thing used for good purposes. That's a different kind of optimism, that nothing is intrinsically evil.

Fun fact, it's super easy to joke that Shocker really needed to stop making Kamen Riders because they kept going rogue on them...

But just taking the original show into account? Ignoring ALL of the other monsters that they made, all of which were exactly the same kind of cyborg monster that Kamen Rider himself is, they made two Riders that went against them due to outside interference- Hongo is saved by a scientist, Ichimonji is saved by Hongo

And then they made SIX more Riders who are just straight up evil. Not fake Riders, not monsters pretending to be Riders

Just straight up six evil Kamen Riders.

The only difference between Hongo and the Shocker Riders was that Hongo fought for justice. Nothing drives that point home clearer than that

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Larryb posted:

Ah right, forgot about him. But to my knowledge neither Natsumi or her grandfather appear in anything following that movie for whatever reason (though if anyone's seen Kiva then you know what happens when normal humans try to use those powers).

I think she showed up in that Decade vs Gokaiger movie that was really awful in almost every possible way(besides Big Machine that is), but she didn't become Kivala(partially because Kivala herself didn't appear in that movie), honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they had lost or damaged the suit

Also considering Natsumi's Grandfather is a version of Dr Shinigami, I really wouldn't be all that surprised if he had somehow made her part Fangire or something

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

I think she showed up in that Decade vs Gokaiger movie that was really awful in almost every possible way(besides Big Machine that is), but she didn't become Kivala(partially because Kivala herself didn't appear in that movie), honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they had lost or damaged the suit

Also considering Natsumi's Grandfather is a version of Dr Shinigami, I really wouldn't be all that surprised if he had somehow made her part Fangire or something

I know what you're talking about but I'm pretty sure that was actually the main girl from OOO instead.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Larryb posted:

I know what you're talking about but I'm pretty sure that was actually the main girl from OOO instead.

Could be, to be honest a lot of the main female characters of the Decade onward era kinda blend together if you haven't watched them in a while

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You mean the girl who was broadcasting "I've got one of Gamel's medals inside me" for the whole series, and then just... doesn't? And her super strength just stays this really weird unexplained slapstick thing.

OOO is my first and I love it but it also really did not get away from the mid-season course change untouched.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

OOO is a good series that serves as a great show of why Yasuko Kobayashi is an amazing writer who shouldn't be given long series. Characterization, beginning and end are all excellent...the middle part is slow as poo poo and mostly forgettable.

I love her series, Shinkenger and Go-Busters are my favourite Sentai, but she's much better in shorter series. Even Shinkenger suffers with the slow and boring Akumaro arc (much as the ending of it is excellent).

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Wow, uh I actually started to write out the characteristics of all the female leads and a lot of them are so similar with maybe one quirk that it's not even funny. Akiko from W probably stands out the most, because she's got a loud and obnoxious personality that is eventually subdued Due to her relationship with the secondary rider but I'm not sure I could tell you the difference between Hiyori (Kabuto) or Natsumi (Decade) or Hina (OOOs) or Mai (Gaim) without using their hobby or profession.

Then again if you want to be fair, secondary riders start to get the same personalities too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Funny you say all this, the toy line is suffering fits because girl rangers aren’t selling. I don’t give a poo poo about the toys for these shows so I don’t pay attention, but apparently Bandai Of America goes to conventions and threatens that the Legacy line is GONE FOREVER if people don’t throw lots of money at figurines RIGHT loving NOW.

Part of this sadistic relationship with fandom is complaining that female figures consistently sit on shelves everywhere in massive amounts relative to the guys. And when there was a rumor Bandai was basically looking to cut production of the girls, a bunch of guys applied Liberal Shame about how the daughter they’d have to get laid to have needs to want toys of the blue/yellow and sometimes pink Ranger.

The whole thing feels like mismanagement from Bandai coupled with some element of unrealistic fan demand. They should probably not make full Ranger teams of Legacy unless the most popular rangers sell well. They should make figures of the girls of whatever the current show is. Even Kimberly isn’t popular enough to sell out both her initial Legacy release and her metal-remix edition because nobody wanted to own two teams of MMPR to begin with. At the same time, best example I can think of is that Hasbro has no problem making some merchandise of MLP’s male characters and they are of secondary importance at best, and often filler.