Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

drrockso20 posted:

The New Day would make an excellent Power Rangers team
But why would we have three black rangers and no others?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Is Hyper Force worth the time? I basically put it on the “watch later” pile then immediately forgot it existed.

Also, the system is homebrew, right? no chance of getting my hands on a sourcebook?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
To answer your first part: No not really. It's neat to see some old favorites show up and hang out, but you're watching people you mostly don't care about play an interactive fiction that doesn't involve the viewer at all. For most people, the only incentive to watch is guest stars and occasionally good quips from Paulie aka Bulk, but that's "nothing is on and I'm bored" material, not must see TV.

To answer your second part: It was just announced a home game is going into production.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Honestly, if the GM was better, I feel like it would hang together as a show better, but for a streamed TTRPG to work, the GM has to A) be a good improviser, B) be a good performer and C) basically be a moderator for her players. In what I've watched of HyperForce, their GM isn't really good at ANY of that. Plus the system seems entirely gimmick-laden to encourage fan interaction- it's basically the whole reason the channel it's hosted on exists. The dude behind it used to work for Geek & Sundry and was very, very into the Twitch gimmicks, like letting people in the chat spend bits or donations to affect the games being played, which... I get it, it seems like a natural use of the platform, and a way to 'drive engagement' but in practice, it's basically taking a kind of interactive fiction that thrives off the people at the table controlling it, and fucks with that, either by giving the internet way too much influence over the story, or by forcing dumb houserules and mechanics that make adhering to any rules of the system basically pointless. Why bother rolling dice at all when you've been given 200 re-rolls by the chatroom?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

LividLiquid posted:

But why would we have three black rangers and no others?

They can be the Patrangers, while The Shield can be the Lupinrangers

Or maybe they can be the Hurricangers and The Usos can be the Gouraigers

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Gaz-L posted:

Honestly, if the GM was better, I feel like it would hang together as a show better, but for a streamed TTRPG to work, the GM has to A) be a good improviser, B) be a good performer and C) basically be a moderator for her players. In what I've watched of HyperForce, their GM isn't really good at ANY of that. Plus the system seems entirely gimmick-laden to encourage fan interaction- it's basically the whole reason the channel it's hosted on exists. The dude behind it used to work for Geek & Sundry and was very, very into the Twitch gimmicks, like letting people in the chat spend bits or donations to affect the games being played, which... I get it, it seems like a natural use of the platform, and a way to 'drive engagement' but in practice, it's basically taking a kind of interactive fiction that thrives off the people at the table controlling it, and fucks with that, either by giving the internet way too much influence over the story, or by forcing dumb houserules and mechanics that make adhering to any rules of the system basically pointless. Why bother rolling dice at all when you've been given 200 re-rolls by the chatroom?
There's much better D&D type games out there. As far as fan interaction "Unforgotten Realms" is second to none. It's pretty silly and the rules are played pretty loosely to just provide better content, and the DM Rob has a good idea of what to do with the stories, how to keep players moving, and probably the most genius way of making money off twitch, by having donation events that trigger if they're met that always feature cutscenes and change the flow of the story. Behind the scenes, Rob is a bit of a prick and thin-skinned and certainly takes advantage of his younger fan base's disposable income but it's all built from the ground up and has nice campaigns

All of Rooster Teeth's D&D campaigns are great too, but that's because they've all got really outstanding dungeon masters and the players are all pretty good at comedic timing, even if they're not great at playing the game itself.

From what I watched of Hyperforce the game is a little too serious, the players and DM are unexperienced, and there's very few people there with the natural type charisma or back-and-forth with one another to make it fun to watch

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I was never able to get into Hyperforce for all the reasons mentioned above, but at least there are other shows on HyperRPG that benefit from an "anything goes" audience interaction format. D&D plus muppets equals comedy gold.

I'd also recommend checking out the RollPlay shows if you are looking for non-audience interaction. I'm eagerly awaiting their new Stars Without Number series.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Today on Power Rangers, the writers have no loving idea how computers work.

Also I'm sorry, credits are wrong and I lost the project file, can't be bothered to remake the video and fix it

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think if someone made a fighting game where the combat mechanic was answering trivia questions today it would be a huge indie hit.

Also this the episode where Rocky becomes the best character

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 19, 2018

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I just want to break down the sequence of events: Jennifer formats the hard drive, shows an example of how the program should function on the computer (how?!), then says something about the microchips not responding and runs home to do some tests. With no copy of the program in her possession.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Also apparently her program is good enough to control an entire robot with clearly some degree of AI. Somehow.

That said there's a much worse example of computers later on, and I genuinely thought you were talking about that one. I didn't even remember this episode.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Lizard Wizard posted:

I just want to break down the sequence of events: Jennifer formats the hard drive, shows an example of how the program should function on the computer (how?!), then says something about the microchips not responding and runs home to do some tests. With no copy of the program in her possession.

Obviously her home computer has the trunk of the program and the lab computer was just a checked out branch

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also apparently her program is good enough to control an entire robot with clearly some degree of AI. Somehow.

Corrupting objects: it just works.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I never really watched Zeo so I have no attachment to the themesong, but that gitar solo at the end is metal as f.

I love the computer interface.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Today on Power Rangers, the Machine Empire is horrifying, actually.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Looks like the Drakkon figure prototype will be shown off at some con this weekend.

I’m sure I’ll never find one for a reasonable cost since it’s a con exclusive.

Do any of you play the mobile game, Legacy Wars? I’m not sure why I like it a lot but I do.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't remember this episode at all but that was loving insane

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm not sure what kind of program gives a goddamn baby to teenagers to take care of. It sounds like a really bad idea, monsters or not.

Also clowns are evil and I'm glad that particular clown is dead.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tommy's like: well I guess since we're married we have to do it now. Ha ha wouldn't that be hilarious? If we did it? Could you like even believe it? Haha we should do it, as a joke

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Boo hoo, Tommy, you get to temporarily be in a relationship with noted smoking hottie Katherine for a weekend. My heart positively bleeds for you.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

MisterBibs posted:

Boo hoo, Tommy, you get to temporarily be in a relationship with noted smoking hottie Katherine for a weekend. My heart positively bleeds for you.

No, just Tommy. The monster wasn't really involved in that arrangement.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Do any of you play the mobile game, Legacy Wars? I’m not sure why I like it a lot but I do.

I do and have put more money into it than I should have. It’s very pay to win but the combat is enjoyable.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Lizard Wizard posted:

No, just Tommy. The monster wasn't really involved in that arrangement.

I have no idea what you're saying.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

MisterBibs posted:

I have no idea what you're saying.

________ the Clown

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Lizard Wizard posted:

________ the Clown

Normally you shouldn't explain jokes but I had no idea what you meant to say before that explanation and even there I had to read the original post a couple of times to get it.

With all of that though, it was funny. You should be a clown.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Blaze Dragon posted:

Normally you shouldn't explain jokes but I had no idea what you meant to say before that explanation and even there I had to read the original post a couple of times to get it.

With all of that though, it was funny. You should be a clown.

I'm still going to pretend that he was talking about this:

watch Rize you mother fuckers

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Lizard Wizard posted:

Today on Power Rangers, the Machine Empire is horrifying, actually.
I just realized they used a generic asian baby that didn't even look like the Japanese footage one. :stare:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zedd posted:

I just realized they used a generic asian baby that didn't even look like the Japanese footage one. :stare:

Genuinely, no one would have ever known in the 90s. Old CRT TVs hide SO much poo poo from you

I'm just glad they used an Asian baby at ALL.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Saban uses only the finest Asian babies.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Related, there's a few times when footage match got weirdly accurate. Two In Space episodes come to mind: Cassie wearing some unflattering shirt-and-overalls ensemble, and Ashley's grandma wearing some crazy neon poo poo. Both have their origins in the Sentai, and if I remember my Morphing Grid podcast right, the Cassie one was one scene that could've been cut out of the episode.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Don't forget the casting for Eric in Time Force

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

Don't forget the casting for Eric in Time Force

Yeah, his actor looked almost identical to the one who played Naoto (Timefire/Quantum Ranger) in the Sentai. In fact, I think they might have used some footage from the Japanese actor during his first morph.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Larryb posted:

Yeah, his actor looked almost identical to the one who played Naoto (Timefire/Quantum Ranger) in the Sentai. In fact, I think they might have used some footage from the Japanese actor during his first morph.

They absolutely did. It's completely unnoticeable unless you freezeframe it.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIzhXFnhURQ

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'll take a full on live action mini series about this please just like this

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I feel like that One Punch Man “OK” gif when watching that. They made it look like Not Just A Bunch Of Cosplay by trying too hard with the cinematography, and it’s weird to cap off decades of clips of budget sets and Sentai footage with 80 seconds of a Joss Whedon movie.

Im more interested in Zedd’s staff being over in the corner, since nobody knew if Zedd even exists in Drakkon’s world.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm just thinking about how great it'd be to see a whole thing with those production values

Just fully embrace the cheese, exposed clasps and all.

Have the loving awful Dragon Shield show up, swap Tommy's Green Ranger helmet back and forth from the silver stripe to the normal one

Go all in on the kitsch

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
"My mission is TO BRING YOU BACK!"

god I love Time Force

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Burkion posted:

I'll take a full on live action mini series about this please just like this
Little webisodes or whatever might be fun. I don't know that I can stand a whole lot of Old Man Tommy.

I noticed the suitlegs on him were either loose, or filled out by his legs, and it occurred to me that changing the Drakkon design to be less MMPR Spandex suit and more like a mandarin collar suit or something might be fun. Maybe too Bleach/animeish though.

The goon that posted a thought about him becoming Zedd by mainlining Super Zeo Timeforce crystals or whatever would be a cute end to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

"My mission is TO BRING YOU BACK!"

god I love Time Force

Looked like Space, Time Force, SPD and RPM were getting the bulk of the focus in the clips, and the solicits for the event seem to bear out that they're probably going to be the most prominent guests