Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

So just what is Super Sentai?

Super refers to the gadgets and giant robots, and Sentai translates to "task force" or "fighting squadron". A group of people come together to fight evil, and are given powers that are either magical or technological in nature, which allow them to transform into colorful themed heroes.

The show uses "Monster of the Week" setup. Outside of the occasional two-parter and season-ender, each episode has the Big Bad sending a different rubber-suited monster to terrorize the city/enslave the populace/whatever. The Sentai show up to save the day by transforming and fighting their way through a bunch of generic footsoldiers before taking out the Monster-of-the-Week. Then the monster becomes skyscraper sized, and the Sentai will have to summon their mecha to take it down for good.

And what about Power Rangers?
Power Rangers is the American version of Super Sentai. The action scenes (when everyone is transformed and fighting the monsters) are dubbed, and new scenes with American actors are filmed for the suitless parts. Some seasons adapt the Sentai plotline pretty faithfully, while others go their own direction with it. One general rule of thumb is that Power Rangers tends to take itself a bit more seriously than Sentai. The Sentai shows are generally not full on comedy, but you can tell everyone is aware that its a fun show for kids and families, whereas in Power Rangers, the general vibe is a bit more serious. However, the attempted seriousness can make the Power Rangers come off as silly or over-acting.

Current Shows

In Japan, the current show is Kishiryu Sentai Ryusoulger

We're doing dinosaurs again, this time with a side order of medieval knights

The current American show is Power Rangers Super Beast Morphers (an adaptation of GoBusters)

Goon-response has been positive so far, and really...after how tepid Ninninger was anything is likely an improvement!

Why has this series gone on so long and been so successful?

Well, Power Rangers has been going on so long because its a pretty cheap show to make. Half the show just needs dubbing work, and the unsuited portions are generally not very action heavy. It also moves a lot of merch, between masks, morphers, toy Zords, etc.

Sentai is at its heart a morality tale of standing up for what's right and fighting against evil. It makes a great children's show, and generally isn't too irksome for parents to watch with their kids.

As a kid I was a huge fan of Power Rangers, and lately I've been going back and watching fansubs of Super Sentai. I felt that it would be nice to have a thread here on SA to discuss these shows, so let's have some fun and talk about guys in spandex beating up rubber monsters!

There is a tokusatsu thread over on the Anime board that covers other similar shows like Kamen Rider, if you're looking for that sort of thing.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

LividLiquid posted:

Is this that season where they can turn into any Power Ranger from the past or summon other Rangers or whatever? Because the two gifs I saw of that hit my nostalgia buttons pretty hard.

That would be Gokaiger. Akibaranger is a parody series aimed at adults in which all the Sentai shows are just that, TV shows. I haven't had the time to watch it yet, but it's apparently quite good.

Gokaiger, the one where they can use the powers of all 34 past Sentai teams is pretty fantastic, I just finished watching it yesterday.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

LividLiquid posted:

I meant the Power Rangers season, not the Sentai season.

Currently Megaforce is just using Goseiger footage. Gosei's little command center has Ranger Keys spread out around it, but no word yet on if they'll be used or not. We know that Gokaiger footage is going to be used in Megaforce Season 2 (Super Megaforce), and Troy (Megaforce Red) keeps having dreams about the Great Legend War and past Rangers.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Zyuranger was in 1992, not 1993.

It ran February-to-February, so it spent a couple months in '93.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Autumncomet posted:

You might want a link to the tokusatsu thread in ADTRW, which covers the same stuff on the Japanese side, plus Kamen Rider and the like.

Crap...I didn't even realize that thread existed...I was looking for just a Power Rangers/Sentai title, and didn't even consider we'd have a full-on Tokusatsu thread...

Well, I'll add a link in the OP, and if this thread dies a slow death, it'll be no more than I deserve.

EDIT: Ah, and thanks for the shoutout over there!

jivjov fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Feb 26, 2013

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
My current guess is that the guy who was pretending to be the Red Ranger is gonna end up becoming Gosei Knight, or getting to borrow one of the morphers for an episode. They spent a little too much time with him for him to be a one-off, I think.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
If Jason David Frank shows up in any capacity I'll be happy. I'm just glad the guy is super chill about being the #1 fan favorite Power Ranger.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

boom boom boom posted:

Yeah, that really needs to be in the OP

Done and done. Thanks for pointing that out.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Pinwiz11 posted:

e: I'm so glad there's a PR/Sentai thread in TVIV again. I still miss that one goon's attempt to watch an episode of PR a day through the entire run.

Well I started this thread because I've been doing something even more insane than that...I binged all of Gokaiger in about 2 weeks, I'm watching Megaforce and Kyorunger as they come out, and I'm catching up on Gobusters and Akibaranger.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm working on the 2nd episode of Go-Busters, and apparently the mecha use a Saitek X52 as a primary input system. I find it pretty great that I've got the same joystick the Zords use sitting on my shelf.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Speaking of delays, are we normally 3 seasons behind in terms of adapting Sentai? We're just now using Goseiger footage. I thought the gap was a lot smaller.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Oh yeah, I remember hearing that when they were working on Dino Thunder, they didn't know who the Triassic Ranger was gonna be, so they started filming some character development for that reporter kid in case it turned out to be a new character rather than a Red Ranger upgrade.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Dr Tran posted:

Holy crap, Megaforce was awful today. Awful in a Tommy Wiseau way. Good show.

Anyone know off hand when the episodes make it to Hulu? The wife and I decided to not actually invest in getting any kind of TV service since we hardly use anything besides Netflix and Hulu.

Also, related to Hulu, I just noticed that on their big banner image on the Megaforce page, you can see Gosei Knight reflected in Red's visor. I guess they're really not trying to keep it a secret (from new american watchers) what the 6th member looks like

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm actually really excited to see what the American adaptation of the Great Legend War is. Anyone notice that in Troy's dream in Episode 4, you could clearly see the Red Dairanger? I wonder if they're gonna incorporate some previously-Japanese-only Sentai into the american Great Legend War, or if it was just a mistake.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Episode 33 of Gokaiger was a Dairanger tribute. The red Dairanger was the appearing legend, and it was the one where the monster eats Gai's morpher and he has a crisis about how he's useless because he can't transform.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Cliff Racer posted:

Ahh but there you are loving up, Zyuranger did get a tribute episode right at the end, but the only tribute part was Goshi showing up for a second to save some random civilians. A lot of the series seemed to get ones like that.

I think someone realized "oh crap, we never did one for Zyuranger...see who we can get on the phone to come in to film for an hour or two".

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm going to a convention next weekend at which Tony Oliver (supervising Producer on Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers and co-producer of Zeo) is gonna be a guest. Anything you guys want me to ask him?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

LividLiquid posted:

Ask him if Tommy Oliver was named after him.

That was the first thing I thought of to ask him. We're on the same wavelength here.

Something else I was going to ask was what the thought process was behind adapting Dairanger and Kakuranger footage into Mighty Morphin was.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
In the Tony Oliver panel at Naka-Kon now.

Tommy Oliver was in fact named after him, but Tony was not responsible for that decision.

He claims responsibility for the black kid being the Black Ranger and the Yellow Ranger being Asian, but says it was an unintentional oversight.

The name Mighty Morphin Power Rangers originated from a 10 minute meeting with half a dozen panicked executives because the original name was Dino Rangers and someone saw upcoming Dairanger or Kakuranger footage.

The actor who played Bulk got to pick the actor to play Skull, and they're still good friends to the day.

The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers movie tanked in box offices, but was the #2 home media seller for the year when it came out on VHS.

The Mighty Morphin theme song that was heard on TV is actually the demo version. Haim Saban was such a fan of the demo tape that he didn't want them to go back and add more lyrics with an actual singer.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 17, 2013

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So I just got around to watching the most recent episode of Megaforce; isn't it a bit early in the season for them to be pulling out the "Use all the Zords at once" combination?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Pinwiz11 posted:

It feels that way, but that was Episode 12 of Goseiger so it's matching the Toku.

Oh yeah, we do only get half the episode count. Forgot about that.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Not to toot my own horn too much, but if anyone here is a tabletop gamer, I'm getting ready to run a Power Rangers Play-by-Post using the Fate Core rules. Tenative title is Forums Sentai AwfulRanger but I'll probably change that.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Agent Rush posted:

1:00 PM EST Saturdays on Nick. You can also watch episodes on Nick.com.

Also Hulu.com, the day after each episode airs.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Well, his adherence to his specific way of doing things doesn't help. He watches all of a season, then gets halfway through the next one before ever starting to script the videos. Wants to give himself some distance so he's not just reporting "this thing I just watched an hour ago is cool". I can see the point though. Wait a few weeks and see what actually sticks out after the fact.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

PerrineClostermann posted:

Anyone catch Akibaranger S2E02? They've made up for the boring recap in E1 for sure!

This screen seemed a bit appropriate:

I had a good laugh at that one. As well as aRe YoU iNtO bUtTs?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Autumncomet posted:

You should probably change the link in the OP to that for the new tokusatsu thread.

Done, thanks for catching that.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Tae posted:

Power Rangers hasn't had a good theme song since SPD.

The exact order of seasons is eluding me at the moment, so this may actually be an empty complaint, but Dino Thunder had an awesome theme too

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Zedd posted:

I think they wanted to skip Gokaiger, but their adaption contract did not allow it.

Yeah, I don't have the details on hand, but there was some clause about having to adapt every season in order to maintain the rights.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Larryb posted:

I thought it was Goseiger they originally wanted to skip?

That I don't know about. The guy who was at the convention I was at a couple months ago mentioned that the current contract had some manner of "no-skip" clause, but couldn't elaborate due to not actually being on active production staff anymore.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
It is no exaggeration when I say that meeting Jason David Frank is on my top 3 Life Goals list

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Oh I know he's not a hard guy to meet, I just have very little spare cash for travelling out to conventions.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Here's another filming pic someone posted over in the Toku thread. Good god Carter got old, haha

Dr Tran posted:

If you think Wes looks old

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Tae posted:

I'm not sure if they can since I'm assuming Saban hired non-union as usual and Disney hires union.

Surely there's some way around that, especially for a one-off like an anniversary special.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

MisterBibs posted:

I suspect the assorted unions don't have a "anniversary special" clause, but I might be wrong.

Oh I know there isn't a special clause, but since its a one-off, I would think that everyone involved could sit down and negotiate out a one-time thing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The Green ranger was the 6th ranger from Zyuranger, the show Mighty Morphin was based on.

The White ranger was from Dairanger. That suit and the Zords got used in the later seasons of Mighty Morphin, but the rest of the team kept the Zyuranger suits.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Kibaranger was a ten-year-old boy.

And that is why Tommy-as-White-Ranger was so hyper and jumped around a lot. The sentai footage was of a character who was 10 years old but got to fight in an adult-sized body. (You'll note that they reused the "kid becomes adult sized" thing for Justin, the Blue Turbo Ranger)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

I can only assume they kept the Zyuranger suits for so long because Daigo's suit is green and they didn't want to confuse kids when Zack's black outfit changed colours and no one else did. And then they skipped Kakuranger, which did have a black costume and no green, finally changing costumes in Zeo which did not have black but had green instead :v: Their insistance on a continuity between seasons hosed them over hard for splicing random things together and hoping it came out coherantly, when Sentai mostly just shrugs and goes "totally new universe" every year, with some notable exceptions.

Also, Shouji is the best Dairanger and those costumes are pretty cool. And the Gouma generals are amazing, being themed after fasteners :allears:

Yeah, the short version is they were running out of usable Zyuranger fight footage, but didn't want to change the characters too much, so they just started lifting Zord combat from Dairanger and Kakuranger while keeping Zyuranger suits around. They had to phase out Green though, since they didn't have much footage of him at all (in Zyuranger, Burai, the green ranger, lived in a cave and also later died mid-series, so there wasn't a whole lot of stuff they could use)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

What was the point of any of this? :psyduck:

To sell some toys to Japanese children :ssh:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
It wouldn't surprise me if they started slapping a filter of some kind over the finished Power Rangers episodes to sorta "equalize" the look of the American and Japanese footage. Other than that, I think it may be that the Sentai footage got better quality: a lot of the recent seasons look really really good (CGI aside) for children's morning entertainment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

hiddenriverninja posted:

Wait... why is he green again?

Gokaiger was the 35th anniversary season in Japan, compete with "returning legends" from past seasons. With Jason David Frank/Tommy being arguably the most famous and iconic (and by episode count the most prolific) former Ranger, he's the first guy you'd call to be a returner. And since he originated as the Green Ranger (and for a lot of older fans, that's his best role) that's what they brought him back as.

I saw a picture of him holding his old White Ranger helmet too, so maybe he'll trot out all 5 of his Ranger power sets.