Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Is it just me, or did Troy use Jake's real name when they were first talking to Jordan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

jivjov posted:

So I just got around to watching the most recent episode of Megaforce; isn't it a bit early in the season for them to be pulling out the "Use all the Zords at once" combination?

They get other MegaZords as well, Hyper/Ultra Gosei Great is a speed bump on the road to power.

In other news, Cipher Pol 9 posted this article in the Tokusatsu thread about how the Gokaiger suits will be used as a super mode for the current Goseiger suits. I don't know if I like this, but I'll wait to see it in action before condemning the idea.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
I can't stop laughing at how Troy is more robotic than the actual robot. :roflolmao:

Pinwiz11 posted:

I gave up on Goseiger after a couple of episodes when it was first broadcast, so I never realized that there were three waves of main villains before the end. Now I'm much more intrigued as to how Saban is going to work the rest of the season, since they main boss is still alive at this point.

I don't expect the show to get any better, but intellectually I'm intrigued as to how they are going to plot this.

I am too, I always liked Boukenger/Operation Overdrive's parallel villain groups. It can't be too much worse than OO, anyway.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

mikeycp posted:

You take that back! OOO was great!

I said OO, as in Operation Overdrive. I don't think Kamen Rider OOO was bad at all, aside from the movies being not great. :shobon:

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Liar Lyre posted:

What time is Megaforce on anyway? I'd probably watch it if I knew when.

1:00 PM EST Saturdays on Nick. You can also watch episodes on Nick.com.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
For anyone who remembers, Linkara's History of Power Rangers just updated with Mystic Force.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Are they seriously planning to put the Megaforce rangers in the Gokaiger's civilian outfits? That's not quite stupid enough to wrap back around to awesome.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Does anyone know where I could see episodes of Power Rangers Samurai? I missed everything after Lauren's reveal and got curious as to how it ended.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Get a memory wipe and watch Shinkenger.

Also, Japan is going to be airing dubbed episodes of Samurai, which is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

I've already seen Shinkenger, I just need to know how badly Samurai flubbed the rest of the story.

Speaking of flubs, does anyone know when new episodes of Megaforce are supposed to start?

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
I was pretty down on Megaforce, but Robo-Knight rapping is far too hilarious to hate. I have to see what nonsense they'll come up with next. :roflolmao:

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Well, that's one way to tie Goseiger and Gokaiger together. At this rate, Megaforce is already 10 times better than Samurai. I hope it doesn't get boring.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Super Megaforce hasn't had a "Rapping Roboknight" moment for me, but for some reason I find the seemingly random leaving in of un-adapted sentai intriguing. I also wasn't expecting any cameos until the Legend War happened, so they're a nice surprise as well.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
So far so good, I guess. I'm gonna miss the dancing and the announcer isn't nearly as energizing, but at least they're trying to mix it up a bit. Though that dumping on Pink came out of nowhere.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
I still miss Torin and the dancing/samba, but Dino Charge is going surprisingly well so far. I also like that the team is airing out conflicts, even though Tyler didn't really have anything to apologize for this time.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Burkion posted:

Yeah- though I tend to roll my eyes at times when they are actively NOT killing the monsters they're fighting, SPD made the correct call given what they're supposed to be.

Super Sentai isn't about Judge loving Dredd so they shouldn't share his morality. And unless the Dekaranger villains were WAY more inhuman than the SPD lot, that's pretty hair raising.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Aren't the judges of the Ultimate Courthouse they request authorization from basically omnipotent? I thought that was how it worked.

As far as I remember, the executed criminals in Dekaranger were mass murderers who had already been given their death sentences. The whole 'Judgement Scanner' thing was more about confirming identity than anything else. There's even a few times where the Dekarangers think they've found their MOTW and used the scanner only to find that wasn't the criminal they were looking for.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

It's also just a pretty cool thing to have in the back burner "There's a sixth ranger around there somewhere, but that ranger is without zord and doesn't know of us... or knows and doesn't want to join!"

The episode was pretty good, too. Nice to see a girls episode done so well, hope they start becoming better buddies.

I'm so glad they aren't just having Shelby and Kendall snipe at each other for the entire series.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Burkion posted:

So I've mentioned this a time or two before, here and there. I am working on getting a comic series started based on Power Rangers, and of course Super Sentai. The title of the book is proposed to be The Lightning Brigade (Or The Lightning Brigade 5, LB5 for short)

I've found an artist who might be up for working on it in two months when his schedule clears, and if he is we'll be attempting to shop it around to various comic companies. It's not a sure thing, as anything could come up, but the artist in question can be found here- http://www.davidfernandezartist.com/ If you look around his work, you'll find he's not shy about doing Sentai/Ranger inspired stuff.

Would you guys care to hear about this project? Tell me how it sounds as the general audience for this kind of thing? If so I'll drop the basics of the plot and some short spoiler free character bios down. If not ah well.

I for one would love to hear about it. I always like reading about the formation of these kind of projects.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Has anyone here seen any of Ninja Steel? I'm trying to gauge if I should make the effort of watching as it airs or just waiting until it hits Netflix.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

JesusSinfulHands posted:

It is not good. Feels even more childish/sanitized than usual. Has one interesting concept (main villain is motivated by being on a game show) but I'm already writing it off as a mediocre/bad season, unless the tone and dialogue of the series significantly improves.

Come back for the Ranger cameos next year, maybe:
https://www.powerrangersnow.com/a-running-list-of-super-ninja-steel-returning-actors/

Ah well, Ninninger wasn't very good either. Shame the anniversary falls on such a series, but maybe it'll turn around. (It probably won't)

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

drrockso20 posted:

Did they not use the Magi Mother suit in Mystic Force?

They did, Soga played a different character though.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Open Marriage Night posted:

The first prelude issue to the Power Rangers comic event came out yesterday if anyone cares. I haven't read the comics, or watched the show since I was a kid, but Atop the Fourth Wall had me nostalgic, so I'll follow the books for now.

Is it the mainline book or Go Go Power Rangers?

EDIT: Just went to Comixology, it's the mainline book. The comics have been pretty good so far, hopefully the event doesn't send them spiraling into crap.

Agent Rush fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 22, 2018

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Even in Go-Busters it was bizarre that Hiromu's weakness was chickens. Like, the other two had legitimate issues from their powers, but he's just... scared of chickens.

Like was said before, Hiromu's weakness was that he froze when he panicked. He just panicked at the sight of chickens because of he was attacked by one as a child, and was such a cool customer that nothing else scared him that badly.

I didn't realize Power Rangers had moved to an early morning slot and missed the first episode, is there any way to catch it now or do I just have to wait for it to show up on netflix/nick.com? I caught the second one, and so far it seems pretty good aside from a weak theme song.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Liar Lyre posted:

You can watch it on the Nick app if you have a cable login. Doesn’t work with Comcast though.

I put that on my roku, but the only Power Rangers I saw there was Nijna Steel. Is it listed under that, or did I just miss something?

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Talking about the comics, does anyone else get the vibe that Alpha-1 from Go Go is entirely too good to be true? There's two ways I see this arc going down:

A: He goes too farTM in his pursuit of everlasting peace and has to be destroyed for the greater good.
B: He sacrifices himself to stop an overwhelming threat.

I'd honestly be more surprised if he just ends up retiring off to Florida or something.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
The Nick app finally decided to start working, so I was able to catch up to ep 4 of Beast Morphers. It's pretty great so far, if it keeps up this level of quality it'll easily rank as one of the best seasons of PR. Still a shame it's on so early, I keep forgetting to catch it on tv.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
I remembered disliking Wild Force pretty heavily as a kid, but seeing it again during the Twitch marathon my opinions have apparently softened on it. Not nearly as dramatically as say, Lightspeed Rescue (currently one of my favorites), but I like the team (Cole's boringness aside) and the villains have good character bits.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Did Beast Morphers just fall of a cliff or something quality wise? I've missed a ton of episodes since I didn't know it was on Netflix as well, but the early ones seemed promising.

Steel has been a surprisingly good counterpart for J, it's actually pretty impressive and gives me hope for the next adaptation. Has that been announced yet?

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Ah, ok. I've kind of fallen of my toku viewing, is Ryusoulger any good?

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Ah, ok. Thanks for the answers! Go-Busters was good and Beast Morphers is too, maybe the adaptation of Ryusoulger will be an improvement!

Also, is there anyway to see the new episodes of Beast Morphers? Netflix only has the first season and the Nick app is a nightmare to use.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Thanks, I'll give it a look sometime.

Is there a thread for the comics? I've scanned BSS but didn't see one.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Wow, has it been that long?

Anyway, has anyone here been reading the comics? What are your feelings about the Necessary Evil arc?

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Thanks for the replies! I've been enjoying Necessary Evil about as much as Shattered Grid, but I agree we could do with some shorter arcs. I get that the original team/suits are popular, but I kind of wish they'd do some stories about other teams. Maybe like a "Tales from the Morphin Grid" scenario where they bounce around teams a bit before returning to the Mighty Morphin rangers.

Also, what's everyone's favorite team? Right now I'd say it's a toss-up between RPM and Beast Morphers.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
It's a pretty even mix of expected answers and curveballs in regards to favorite teams, that's cool! It's always a shame when your favorite ranger doesn't get much focus.

:roflolmao:

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm not sure if I'd want something like that because last time the comic went with a different team it sucked and they were all written as far worse people than they really should have. I feel that, if we got focus on another team, it really would have to be from zero like the MMPR, a complete reboot instead of having them from a random point in history and have the writers struggle to rewrite them to fit their own tastes with no real growth before.

Team-wise, I do have a big soft spot for Time Force, but the SPD team was really good as well and I liked the Wild Force goofs.

Which team was that again? I'm totally blanking because the last one I remember had Alpha-5 in a top hat and mustache as part of a flashback.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Beyond the Grid. Coinless Kim/Ranger Slayer, Tanya/Zeo Ranger II Yellow, Andros/Red Space Ranger, Mike/Magna Defender, Cam/Green Samurai Ranger, Heckyl/Dark Ranger and newcomer Ellarien/Solar Ranger.

Ah, guess it speaks to Beyond the Grid's quality that I totally forgot about it! I wonder what happened, given that the other teams in Shattered Grid didn't get bent out of character like that.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Even when I first saw the series as a kid, I found it incredibly bizarre that they had to give back their jackets. The morphers fine, that made sense, but why the jackets? That was so silly.

The real answer is probably that they had to give back their jackets at the end of Gaoranger, but that series made more of a point about the rangers giving up their lives to be superheroes, like how they generally use their color instead of names to refer to each other.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

:roflolmao:

Wow, that's a pro click. I especially liked the background!

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Larryb posted:

It’s almost kind of impressive just how utterly soulless and lazy Megaforce was (particularly in the second half though the Goseiger stuff wasn’t exactly great either), they tried to rehash MMPR without really understanding what made that show work, Non-PR Sentai suits were used with little to no explanation, the show was almost entirely devoid of original ideas, they flew out several guest stars for maybe like a minute or two of screen time (some of which didn’t even have any lines), and that’s just to name a few of the things wrong with the show.

Like I said, even SAMURAI was arguably better handled than that. I’m not entirely sure how Saban managed to drop the ball on an anniversary season that badly.

The Non-PR Sentai stuff was the most baffling bit of Super Megaforce to me. If they'd said "no unadapted suits" and cut them all out, I'd understand that. If they said "who cares, throw it all in", I'd understand that too. But the way they cut some and left others made no sense at all. I just can't believe Super somehow ended up worse than Megaforce. :(

Has Beast Morphers Season 2 hit Netflix yet? I've tried to watch it on Nick's app, but it's such a pain to use. I don't even think it has all the episodes, but hell if I can tell one way or the other.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

MorningMoon posted:

I think the us aired 8 episodes so far, while the UK will finish airing it next week. Itll be a while for US netflix.

Ah, ok. Thanks, looks like I'll be struggling with Nick's app some more then.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Dawgstar posted:

How's the main Power Rangers comic? I really dig Go Go, but when I tried the main book initially I kinda bounced off of it. Maybe it was Kyle Higgins' writing?

Really? When did you first start the main book? I've enjoyed it for the most part, especially Shattered Grid. Beyond The Grid was a slog, though. Necessary Evil also leans pretty heavily on Shattered Grid, so if you didn't like that as much as I did it might annoy you. Overall I thought it was a pretty good examination of The Power Transfer and Adam's, Aisha's and Rocky's characters alongside the world expansion.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, I started when the book did and fell off before we got to Shattered Grid. That's why I wondered if it wasn't the initial writer I didn't care for.

Oh, ok. Yeah, if you didn't even get to Shattered Grid I'd suggest giving that another look. I'd say that's the high point of the book so far though, so if it doesn't grab you there's probably no reason for you to keep going. There's a few neat side stories though, like Alpha 5 meeting the Ninja Steel team and knowing one of their mentors through a hinted-at adventure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Craptacular! posted:

Speaking of Scorpina, I've been reading the comic where the inhabitants of Drakkon's world try to hold things together without him, and it's interesting but very edgelord and kind of uncomfortable.

(spoilers follow)

The basic gist is that Slayer-Kim has become the head of what's left of the world, and with the Ranger-Sentries is cleaning out what remains of Drakkon's loyalists. They open up a prison he built (where apparently he found the labor to build the Black Dragonzord) and find their universe's Jason, who was confined in something of an iron-clad suit and locked away. Drakkon made the sentries by taking the power coins and sticking them in a machine that can split their power among many individuals, but none are as strong as the original rangers. Because he he diluted each ranger's powers unto an army, he ensured he was by far the strongest ranger in the world. Jason was thus forced to watch as dudes in red ranger suits commit crimes against humanity.

On top of this we have Scorpina, who unlike all these other characters is actually "our" Scorpina from the normal timeline fans are familiar with, though she's changed her armor quite a bit from the show. Scorpina's motives are questioned a lot, as she previously worked with Drakkon before his capture. You know how people wonder what happened to PR's most famous bad guys in Drakkon's timeline? Scorpina tells Drakkon about Dark Specter, and Drakkon wasn't aware of his existence. Thanks to Scorpina's blabbing about the greater threats of the universe, Drakkon set up a beacon in the prison complex that will, in case he is defeated in Shattered Grid, will alert Dark Specter to Earth's existence as a big "gently caress you" to the world he left behind.

So this universe's Ecliptor (who is a lady) arrives on the planet and begins doing a sort of Silver Surfer-inspired thing of heralding Dark Specter's arrival and starting some kind of summoning ritual. Kim calls the sentries to gear up, which is when the rescued Jason begins complaining that This Isn't How It's Done, you guys need to take your coins out of the machine right now and we need to go back to being the power rangers. Kim tells Jason that this world is now very complicated and that his pining for their days as teenagers isn't going to help things much and I ought to note on top of it, this universe's Billy is still MIA so they're not a complete team. Jason calls Kim a fascist and leaves.

So they try fighting Lady Eclipta, and along the way Scorpina develops a sort of angry villainess crush on Adam, calling back to that one second season episode where she reappeared out of the blue. Ecliptor makes quicks work of Kim, spars with Scorpina a bit (there's a funny bit where Scorpina introducers herself "a big fan"). Adam seems to have a sneak attack planned out but when he comes to strike, all the sentries armor disappears, and he is killed quickly. Everyone has to retreat, Scorpina is distraught and having conversations with an Adam who isn't there, and without the sentries the very Mad Max like population of Earth begins rebelling against the only real authority that exists.

At which point Jason shows up in the red ranger costume, and suggests the world needs the Power Rangers.

Overall this is kind of an uncomfortable storyline to be doing because the Rangers were never meant to be heads of a tribe or state, there's always a sort of implied thing that power rangers do jobs nobody else can do but otherwise stay out of humanity's way, and in this case they're picking up the pieces of a post-apocalyptic world and trying to keep this mutant Earth from gnawing it's own arm off. It seems pretty clear though that Jason is going to end up being As Bad As Drakkon, though he'll do it "because that's how Zordon would have wanted."

The new issue of Drakkon dropped yesterday, it's pretty neat to see them using the idea I'd thought of when they focused so much on the Diffuser (Make it power everyone, not just the rangers or sentries.). There's another sting at the end of the book, though I could see it both as a lead-up to the next issue or a cliffhanger ending. I guess we'll see which one it is.