Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
^^ The delay between Saban getting the rights back from Disney (the lousy 'remastered' MMPR rerun season) widened the gap.

SilentChaz posted:

It was actually producer/executive producer Jonathan Tzachor who was obsessed with turning Power Rangers into a sentai clone, which started with Time Force and continued with Wild Force. Then PR was sold to Disney and Tzachor had nothing to do with it until Saban bought it back and they did Samurai, which was the worst.

:eng101:

No argument on Rick Medina being a huge tool, though.

And the Sentai thing isn't always a problem, it's all in the execution. RPM and In Space ditched the Sentai plot almost totally and worked very well for it, Time Force did pretty well cribbing heavily from Timeranger, Wild Force... less so. Although I still have a soft spot for a Power Ranger who beats monsters to death with a pool cue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Zonekeeper posted:

The main thing driving up the cost is the fact that it adds a lot of diecast to the model, WAY more paint apps, more accurate stickers and generally better (and shinier) everything. It's the same mold as the 2010 Megazord remake, but they took that and pretty much made the best quality toy they could with it.

With the announcement of a legacy Dragonzord capable of combining with it, I'm having a hard time keeping myself from picking the Legacy Megazord up despite owning the original 2010 version. (which looks like poo poo in comparison) :ohdear:

Wait, do they mean combine as in Battle Mode (the full mech, with the Dragon instead of the T-Rex and Pterodactyl) or Hat Mode?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
...Goddamnit, and my buddy was awesome and got me an original Dragon Dagger toy for my birthday this year. Not mint, but pretty good quality, sound effects still work, still has all the stickers... But now there's a die-cast one with a modern sound chip?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Liar Lyre posted:

Three professional wrestlers and DMC of Run DMC.

I was like "The Samoan guy looks familiar...", but the context just wasn't there for me to click that it was The Shield. It's weird to think that those guys probably grew up watching JDF.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

jivjov posted:

It angers me far more than a children's toy commercial ever should that Tommy forgot all about Kimberly in order to pursue the next pink ranger to show up.

Didn't Kim dump him via a Dear John?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

JT Smiley posted:

No, Disney wanted to drop the show after Jungle Fury. I believe RPM only existed because of contractual obligations.

Wasn't it Bandai wanting to keep selling toys?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Box of Bunnies posted:

That's part of the reason I keep watching Power Rangers alongside Super Sentai and prefer it to not just be a direct translation. It's fun seeing how designs and footage are recontextualised.

Well that, and the seasons that go a totally different direction tend to work best. (In Space/RPM)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sockser posted:

That shot of all the rangers at the end was just American rangers. What a bummer. Was really looking forward to Battle Fever J being somehow worked into the American show.

I was looking for the Dairanger suits considering that con promo that made a BIG deal out of them had me intrigued.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

jivjov posted:

I can understand what they're doing. The name of the game is gonna be minimizing Gokaiger footage use, since so much of it is going to be completely useless in America anyway. Unless they're gonna go full-bore "Oh yeah, there are rangers that were never on TV! (unless you're Japanese!)" half the fight scenes from Gokaiger would have to have big chunks cut out of them. By doing Super Megaforce as "Goseiger part 2, with a dash of Gokaiger on top", they can stick to the letter of the contract that mandates an adaption of every sentai series without having to film as much American footage to fill in gaps.

They should just go balls out and use footage from the older shows that they never aired the first time round. Bonus points if they manage to work in the Decade crossover into Shinkenger.

"Who's that guy in the pink armour?" "Beats me!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I will not stand for quiche on my scifi trains. Only rice piles with tiny flags and chunks of hot dog shaped to look like tiny octopii!

I'm actually a little surprised Toei and Bandai haven't pushed for Den-O to be adapted, actually.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

RBX posted:

"ZEEEEEEO!!!"
"SAMMMURAII!"
"OPERATION OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVERRRRDRIVE!"

Why wouldn't they pay that guy $20 dollars to say it in english is beyond me. These kids weren't even around for most of these seasons.

Or at least have the song for each season play.

(...OK, I just want the choral "ZEE-OHHHHHHH!")

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

Andros was the best Red Ranger because In Space was the best series. :colbert:

He was also the best because he was a nice enough guy that he'd totally be friends with you, even if you were just trying to hang out with his fox of a sister. :swoon:

Speaking of, I always really liked the way they handled bringing Karone back in Lost Galaxy. It was a neat audible to call when the actress playing Kendrix got sick and had to bow out, and having the previous season's primary villain end up as the Pink Ranger was a nice bookend to her story.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
DELUXE KYORYUZIN MEGAZORD! WITH LIGHTS AND SOUNDS!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sockser posted:

Wait wait wait wait wait

So they hack Gokaiger to pieces so they don't have to explain all the non-US stuff and then go ahead and use Dairanger anyways?

They're going to reedit MMPR season 2 with the Dairanger footage. We have always been at war with Lord Zedd. :tinfoil:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

To be fair, giant castle men look way more imposing than frogs and stuff.

But that's the point, Saban did it the logical and traditional way(the poor mech-suit actors usually get so much crap piled on them by the end of the season that they probably don't even need to be in the suit), and Toei had the normal-dude looking one be the upgrade.

SUPER-MEGA-NINJA-PIRATE-EDIT: Good god... the more you hear 'Super-Mega ____' the dumber it sounds, especially when they're poo-pooing something similar but more reasonable, like 'ultra'.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 22, 2014

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Here, have a Norwegian nerd/metal vocalist singing arrangements of all the PR themes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4CU2HEKJzk

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Ninja Storm, Jungle Fury and Lightspeed Rescue or GTFO.

EDIT-NO-JUTSU: I actually think Jungle Fury is really underrated, and this is speaking as someone who really liked Gekiranger. The guy who played RJ was actually very good at selling the faux-Jack Sparrow/Mr Miagi side of the character, but still able to shift into being kind of a badass when needed. The shades as morphers was a neat and silly idea, which was more a problem just because the props looked really cheap. And they actually did a decent job with a fairly straight adaptation of the sentai, but using the Spirit Rangers to sidestep the animal suits. Plus the the chorus of the theme is just really cheerful and smile-inducing.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Mar 7, 2014

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Probably that, combined with "It worked when we stole from Dairanger".

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I do wish Saban or Disney would have the guts to put a girl in one of the male roles from Sentai again, ideally Red, obviously, but any of them would be neat. Because otherwise the best you can hope for is something like Kakuranger or Timeranger, where Pink/White is the second lead and PR has to follow suit to some degree.

Super-MegaEdit: I know they won't, because Bandai would poo poo bricks at having to figure out how to market g-g-girl toys for an action show.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Except female Riders have a bad habit of being there to let the show kill someone off. The only one who didn't was Kivala, right?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Mercury all the way. :colbert: (It's literally my favourite suit design in the entire franchise. Followed by Jungle Fury Purple/GekiViolet)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Inkspot posted:

GekiViolet is a big list of things that shouldn't work together on a costume coming together to make something awesome. If you added the same kind of shield/shoulderpads that MMPR White or Zeo Gold has, he'd be unstoppable.

Nah, you'd lose the Muay Thai feel that the costume's going for.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I actually feel the way you do about BoukenSilver. The mirrored silver, the black, orange, metallic blue... all shouldn't work, but it comes together because there's a theme behind it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Senerio posted:

I wasn't expecting to really like Jungle Fury, but I have been. Excluding RJ (for obvious reasons of him being the clear best), I'm surprised that my favorite character is Camille.

I love that Geki/JF had a logical reason for weird colours for the extra rangers. Black and green were already taken. (In the Legend War footage, they're even included in the sixth hero group, if I recall right) So gotta have purple and aqua and white w/ orange trim and poo poo.

Edit: ...I kind of like the fly dude in both versions. :shobon: The combat sport focus of the season makes having a play-by-play and colour commentator make sense.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

I'm afraid new Saban would poo poo the bed if they tried a Rider series again

Didn't they trademark a Rider thing a while back, which people thought might be so they could use the Decade episodes as a backdoor pilot? (Though if they were to do it, Kabuto or Double is probably a better bet to start with.)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Liar Lyre posted:

Mystic Knights is really cool. Not the best show, but it's a really fun Sword and sorcery show that is really easy to enjoy.

It was at least ambitious in that it was a wholly Western concept, and didn't completely cheap out like Tatooed Teenage... Jesus I'm not finishing that name.

Plus the extra warrior that came in later had twin hatchets, if I remember right, which was awesome. (EDIT: I seriously do twin hand-axes whenever possible in an RPG almost entirely because of that dude)

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Apr 5, 2014

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'd recommend Boukenger and Gokaiger. The former because it's where I started and as the anniversary series it is, it feels like a nice cross-section without being too gimmicky. Gokaiger because I've heard good things and it seems to be almost the opposite, a buffet platter of all the prior shows IS the gimmick.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Senerio posted:

Basically, how my friend summed it up to me, Power Rangers is at its best when it's trying to be serious, while Sentai is at its best when trying to be goofy.

E: Or is that wrong? I only watched the sentai versions of the series I actually liked.

Probably more accurate to say that Sentai is most POPULAR when it's goofy? Didn't Carranger do crazy-good ratings. while Turbo's tanked? And I know Kamen Rider Den-O is a huge cash cow, and was a pretty silly show/character, compared to Ryuki, or Kiva, or Kabuto.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

In short: That's wrong.
In pretentious: While the overall tone of Sentai series (plural) vary significantly, every year will still have both goofy filler episodes, and a final arc where poo poo has gotten real. A goofy filler episode can be anywhere from completely asinine (Go-Onger) or absolutely hilarious (Kyoryuger), and the drama can be anywhere between legitimately compelling (Shinkenger) to falling flat on its face (Gekiranger). It really all comes down to what the writing staff for the year is good at, and how well they work with their strengths and weaknesses within the guidelines of the franchise.

Gekiranger's drama worked fine. :colbert:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Liar Lyre posted:

We'll probably get Paul WS Anderson :(

Be really daring and they get Paul T Anderson

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

jivjov posted:

You can get your wrong opinions clear of my thread, bub.

But yeah, I'm not really all that optimistic for Dino Charge...the Mega/SuperMega hybrid adaptation was handled in such a slapdash and lazy manner, plus just the general childishness of recent seasons overall...I think Saban has just decided to market straight to small children and not try to do a quasi-all-ages thing like the older seasons.

Makes sense. If you aim at older kids, they might have developed taste and be able to tell that they're being talked down to or that the acting or writing is poor and stop watching, thus not buying toys and merch. Tiny babies will just watch what Mum and Dad put on for them, and most parents don't think about quality in that content, even though they should. "Of course it sucks, it's for kids!" is a notion that should be outdated but sadly is far from it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Pyroi posted:

Well, there are many energems, including the one inside the Long Lost Monster Gun, which allows for its user to summon monsters by placing cards inside of it. I have a picture right here...

I knew this was Decade's fault somehow!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Astro Nut posted:

As said above, it was partly because Saban was worried the first gen suits were too at the time. The other thing I would say largely contributed though was an uncertainty as to whether or not fans would continue to care if they weren't 'The Mighty Moprhin' Power Rangers'. Saban had spent years trying to get the sentai franchise state side in some fashion or another, and even with the rampant success of MMPR's first season, they weren't willing to yet risk the 'new team per season' format that sentai, in case it killed off interest, so they compromised in various ways. In Space, even if relying on characters from a previous season, was also the first were none of the first generation rangers, or anyone who'd worn a dino themed outfit, were part of the regular cast at any part, and given it had saved Power Rangers rating wise, proved that fan interest didn't necessarily rely on it being the originals. Lost Galaxy then brought this to full fruition by starting with a whole new cast, though it still had some carry over elements just in case, like Bulk and the Professor (even if sorely underused), the Astro Megaship, Alpha, etc. Whilst Lost Galaxy saw a subsequent downturn and a very troubled schedule, it nevertheless proved decently successful, and so Lightspeed Rescue without any connections save for minor aesthetics and the one crossover episode. They basically took their time about being convinced this sort of thing could be done.

This makes way more sense than the idea of the movie being too close. The movie's built around them getting new powers (including the halfway ninja suits) and would've been SO easy to use as a means to introduce a version of the Kakuranger suits, at least.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

Speaking of Power Rangers and "What would have happened" I only recently read about Hexagon and drat I really wish that actually existed because it sounds incredible.

It was also insane, because it would've cost way more than the previous years at a point were they were looking to cut costs. You're bringing back past cast members in a way that positions them as selling points, you're re-using old costumes. You'd need a TON of original suit footage and mech fights, as no matter how you cut it, Hurricanger is not going to fully fit the bill. AND they were talking about adding a seventh ranger to fit in another girl? So that's more design work and more original footage.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Probably, but not nearly as decrepit. I recall an interview with the dude who played Kamen Rider Black, when they brought him back for Decade, and he mentioned how they were still shooting in the same abandoned warehouse, but half of it had collapsed or something.

You'd think Toei would spare a couple hundred thousand yen to fix a regular shooting location up.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
You all forgot Hang Time, AKA Saved By The Bell WITH BASKETBALL. Mostly notable for being Anthony Anderson's first real role.

But USA High as TTAFfBH is possibly the best analogy ever conceived. USA High similarly felt like they built like 3 sets from cardboard and papier mache and hired the kids from the local high school that the school drama club wouldn't take.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jul 17, 2014

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
This is always what Orci does. If I'm recalling right, he's the one of that pair that adds in all the stupid callbacks and continuity references, which go from neat little things (the Enterprise NX-01 model on Peter Weller's desk in ST:ID) to ripping off scenes wholesale from earlier movies in the franchise (the rest of ST:ID, big swathes of the Transformers movies) regardless of if they make sense, and cramming in plot McGuffins and props that have no reason for being there or being named what they are in that film.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Liar Lyre posted:

He's only executive producer, so hopefully his influence won't be that strong.

Let's see that hope turn to ash when the trailer features a 'Zeo Crystal' that doesn't behave anything like the crystal from the show. And is the wrong size and shape. And isn't a crystal. (See the Matrix of Leadership from TF2. Which looks barely anything like the version from the original movie, and has nothing really to do with leadership.)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Which is kind of hilarious. 3 Captain America movies. None released on 4th of July weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Huh. I didn't know JDF was a goon.