Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

David Yost, aka Billy, has declined an invitation to appear in Super Megaforce on the grounds of why the gently caress do you think?

To be fair, Billy can't ever leave Aquitar lest he begin hyperaging again and die.

GOD, DIDN'T YOU PAY ANY ATTENTION TO POWER RANGERS ZEO?!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Being one of the biggest heroes to an entire generation of kids is a hell of a marketing tool. JDF just uses that as fully as he can, and I think it helps that he's just as earnest and authentic a guy as he appears. He's kind of an awkward dorky jock, but he can kill you in three seconds and then he'll commend your soul to Jesus, who didn't tap.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Sign up for his Power Rangers Boot Camp, then. Or go to one of the seven conventions he attends a month!

His facebook feed gets a bit much sometimes.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I'll be honest and say I'd much rather meet David Yost. Billy was my guy as a kid, and hearing all the poo poo he went through is just heart-breaking.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I don't know how very down to Earth a show can be when it's about ancient dinosaur-clan warriors, powered by dinosaur gods, fighting the forces of a witch who is on the moon who uses fairy tales and mythological monsters to attack children.

Like, maybe I stopped watching really early, but in my defense, Boi and Dan are horrible characters.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Oooops, someone doesn't know how to run karaoke in avisynth or whatever the gently caress.

And yeah, Boi's the ninja. Goushi is the guy with the axe, hacking and whacking and slapping. He just hacks, wacks, and chops that meat.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I have to say, the random covers in the end credits of Akiba Tsuu are awesome. Girls in Trouble was the best loving thing :allears:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Eugh, sorry for the double post, but I didn't feel editing it into the previous post was the best way to have it seen. I was reading about how both Walter Jones and David Yost have declared they will not have anything to do with Super Megaforce and I noticed this at the end of the article.

Huffington Post posted:

"Power Rangers Megaforce" follows the Power Rangers as they battle the evil Warstar aliens. The series stars Ciara Hanna, Christina Masterson, Andrew Gray, Azim Rizk, John Mark Loudermilk and Robo Knight.

The kayfabe is thick here. A whole bunch of real people "and Robo Knight" :allears:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Soooo.... JDF has some pretty interesting photos up on his facebook page this morning. :stare:

We all knew he would be in Super Megaforce anyway, but he's rockin' the Dragon Shield finally. :dance:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I find it really awkward how they interest-checked 60 Rangers from 20 years of the franchise, picked ten of the lot, and then chose multiple actors from the same shows. Two from Samurai, two from Lightspeed, two from In Space, two from Lost Galaxy? Plus Wes from Time Force, and Tommy from Every Season Ever with the inaccurate helmet :supaburn:. What the gently caress, man. At least Gokaiger had the excuse of many older actors being retired, or in some rare cases dead, and they still managed to get a dude from nearly every series by the end. (Shouji aged poorly, perhaps he should have sat it out.)

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

Jason Narvy discussing his opinion on the true nation of Shakespearean soliloquies is something I never thought I'd see:

I believe you mean Professor Jason Narvy, Ph.D. :colbert:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Green Ranger was Dragonranger from Zyuranger, which was the show the first season of MMPR was based off. White Ranger was Kibaranger from Dairanger, which is where the Thunderzords in the second season came from.

Kibaranger was a ten-year-old boy.

e: I provided a picture, suck it :smug:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I can only assume they kept the Zyuranger suits for so long because Daigo's suit is green and they didn't want to confuse kids when Zack's black outfit changed colours and no one else did. And then they skipped Kakuranger, which did have a black costume and no green, finally changing costumes in Zeo which did not have black but had green instead :v: Their insistance on a continuity between seasons hosed them over hard for splicing random things together and hoping it came out coherantly, when Sentai mostly just shrugs and goes "totally new universe" every year, with some notable exceptions.

Also, Shouji is the best Dairanger and those costumes are pretty cool. And the Gouma generals are amazing, being themed after fasteners :allears:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Uh, Ninjaman, hello? They could have just upgraded Alpha 5 into a whole new robot!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Well, you gotta fire someone, and Haim Saban's distaste for David Yost hadn't quite hit the "screw him over constantly" phase it would hit in Zeo, so... get rid of Rocky? Then Tommy could be Red and they could have fun trying to explain away all the footage where Red's kind of an idiot and obviously not in charge.

Turning the robot buddy into a Battleizer (especially if it was Ninjaman, oh god) is something they only thought of with SPD, which I thought was a weird thing to import back to Japan for the Magiranger/Dekaranger movie. Murphy was Umeko's partner, don't take that from her, Ban :qq:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Aquatarians aren't even people, they don't count.

The Morphin Grid is for humans, the way Zordon intended.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I finished watching all of Dairanger tonight. I thought Dekaranger was poorly written, but Dairanger... oh my god. What the gently caress was that bullshit? Fifty episodes and Shadam was a loving clay doll the entire time? And so were Gara, Zaidos, and Emperor Gouma? What was the point of any of this? :psyduck:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Oh? The guys at TV-Nihon are the ones who wrote Dekaranger? poo poo, I gotta give that group credit, who knew a half-dozen guys on the internet had the budget to film a tv show in Japan? :what:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I was pretty upset when I realized Time Force would never travel through time and have cool battles in ancient Egypt or anything at all. It's in the credits, you guys at Saban are assholes who should have known better! :qq:

But Time Force turned out to be pretty sweet anyway.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

The clasps come and go even today, because they're the stunt helmets. The clasps are actually visible in some of the sentai footage, they're just a lot better at hiding it. I would assume they only forwarded the high-quality stunt helmets to Saban back in the day, rather than the expensive hero helmets which have some fancy internal clasp system. When Sakamoto came on with Power Rangers, he probably infodumped on them about thorough shot-planning to get around the clasps, explaining why you don't see them as often anymore.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Aren't the American toys total poo poo nowadays, like they're smaller and made of cheaper plastic which doesn't hold together as well? I could swear I've seen pictures of RPM's Ultrazord being substantially smaller than G12, while my black MMPR Megazord is almost exactly the same toy as DaiZyuJin.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

mateo360 posted:

He said on his facebook that he is doing cameos as both the Green and White rangers. The other three though I have my doubts.

They totally ignored his tenure as Red Turbo during his coma in Dino Thunder, and it never made sense when he and TJ were reds together in Forever Red anyway, the Turbo powers run off the Zeo crystals, loving Saban. :mad:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Poor TimeFire, all those donuts at the precinct :qq:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

mateo360 posted:

the poster was recently reviled.

Accident or intent?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

What it's like to meet a Power Ranger

quote:

The coolest thing about the whole experience – besides, you know, watching a Power Ranger punch boards in half WHILE FALLING THOUSANDS OF FEET FROM THE SKY – was seeing how JDF embraced his history and his fandom.

How many cult actors or child stars immediately try to distance themselves from their most famous project? It’s like they feel ashamed of the work they did. But, as you see in the video above, JDF still embraces the Power Ranger legacy.

He talks about it openly, jokes about it freely. For crying out loud, he spray-painted his hair green just for the attempt. Judging this attempt could’ve easily turned into me meeting a legitimate childhood idol, only to learn he’d grown bitter and full of contempt for playing a role that provided a seminal part of my youth.

The video's pretty cool, too.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Those new Ranger Keys are loving hysterical. It's so funny this obsession Power Rangers has with portraying everyone as being Schwarzenegger in spandex. They also look spring-loaded, which I don't think the originals were but I've never seen one in person to know for sure.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

They are doing Alien Ranger Keys, at least.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

The novelty of watching a bunch of westerners somehow be samurai? Plus those ridiculous armors for zord-operating? Japan will love it and wonder why they didn't think of it first.

Are they getting the Shinkenger cast to dub their Power Ranger counterparts? I remember reading the Dekaranger cast did that for SPD.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Liar Lyre posted:

I'm sure I'm not the only one that appreciates this photo.

Obviously the one guy is Professor Thomas Oliver, but I have no idea who anyone else in this photo is.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Pasteurized Milk posted:

Trying to buy Power Rangers toys back when they first came out was crazy too. I got some figures out of a guy's trunk who was selling in the parking lot of a mall. Good times.

I remember going to a flea market and seeing a set of MMPR weapons in a box covered with strange text I didn't understand. I begged my mom for it, but she said no, that it was just some cheap Chinese knockoff crap, and I didn't want that junk, did I?

Years later, I would realize those were probably an imported Zyuranger Howling Cannon. If only she had known :qq:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

The Dekaranger team leader was actually Umeko, so SPD is less progressive than the original series :v:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Yeah, there's a few shows where someone else is ostensibly the leader, but Red is always The Guy Who Makes It Work. Kakuranger was like that, the leader was Tsuruhime, but Sasuke was the man who made the team gel together. It's pretty obvious when you consider the first episode of every series where they show assembling the team, it's usually about Red finally joining because the team isn't right without him.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Yeah, poor Leo. He wasn't the chosen one at all :v:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

They just had to give Tommy his own white Zord, drat. But, shee, man, sometimes he'd just pop on into the Pink Shogunzord and snuggle up with Kim Kat for some afternoon delight, you know? A man has needs.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Well, Kim hosed off to France to study ballet and live with her mom and step-dad who was an evil french cat monster with a beret and baguette, I think.

I think.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

:stare:

You... you looked that up on RangerWiki, right?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Cyan is actually chubby instead of just a palette swap :newlol:

And hey hey hey, there's Armed Ons but no Deinosgrounder? I call bullshit.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

"Adam? What's wrong?"

"I'm a racecar."

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Just release it as is. Subtitled.

Kids will loving flip over Gorisaki and Nick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Wasn't Go-Busters supposed to be Toei purposely making a show they felt would be easy for adaptation, as a way of apologizing for how incredibly unfriendly Gokaiger would be to an adaptation? I remember hearing rumors of that back when people were still throwing hissy fits over LET'S MORPHIN and MEGAZORDS, but that could be as much apocrypha as the dumbass rumors about Kamen Rider Hibiki.