Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Even in their worst season, Disney did a pretty decent job of marking the franchise's anniversary.

Not the best episodes, but this (non-Overdrive) team is rad as gently caress.

With the way Saban Brands have handled things since getting it back, maybe Disney were right to smother the show when they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

RBX posted:

Mystic Force

RBX posted:

Terrible theme song!

:frogout:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Sorry guys.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Zonekeeper posted:

I think there was one series that got higher ratings than the original when it was re-imported to Japan.

This is a bullshit rumour.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
SPD was actually the series that got me back into Power Rangers (and subsequently Sentai and Kamen Rider). When the MMPR2010 reversioning had people talking about the franchise again I went on a bit of an MMPR nostalgia trip but SPD in particular caught my eye while watching opening compilations on Youtube so I ordered the DVDs and dug in.

It's got its issues, but I have a soft spot for it.

Gutcruncher posted:

At the end of SPD, Jack leaves so Skye gets promoted to Red and Bridge gets promoted to Blue, but Sydney and Z are still stuck on their old Pink and Yellow? By the year 2025 I thought all this space-sexism would be over :argh:

That kinda stood out to me too, but I think it's just a matter of real world logistics so I just shrugged it off. The guys are probably close enough in size that you can just swap their uniforms around without issue, but Monica May would be swimming in Matt Austin's green jacket and there's no point tailoring new ones for a brief scene at the end of the show.

Really cements the "this is a show for boys and the female characters really don't matter as much" thing though even if it was entirely innocuous.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Coq au Nandos posted:

Look out for Power Rangers: Glitter Bandits, coming to a television near you in 2015.

Sounds fabulous :sparkles:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
There were absolutely budget and/or schedule/production problems with RPM. That's why the head writer was given the boot mid series and Judd Lynn was brought back in.

It didn't have anything to do with the show being "killed" (as said, that had already been decided) but it did happen.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

JesusSinfulHands posted:

I always found the Aussie actors to be significantly better than the American/Canadian ones

That's because Disney actually got actors rather than models/dancers/gymnasts/martial artists, even if they had only been on Shortland Street or whatever other soap.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Liar Lyre posted:

an amazing part

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
More likely they saw the kid, wanted/needed to use the Megazord shot so rolled with it anyway and figured the seven year olds at home wouldn't notice.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The weirdest thing is watching Zyuranger and seeing completely different context for familiar stuff.

That's part of the reason I keep watching Power Rangers alongside Super Sentai and prefer it to not just be a direct translation. It's fun seeing how designs and footage are recontextualised.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Best Red Ranger? Well, technically...

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Sorry, I don't accept post-Wild Force Rangers :colbert:

The first few Disney seasons were pretty much as good as Power Rangers will ever be in terms of characterisation, not just for the Rangers but Ninja Storm's villain is brilliant.

Your loss :shrug:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Coq au Nandos posted:

Please for the love of god let it be Kyouruger. I'd love to see some grimdark dino dancing.

Whatever winds up happening with Kyoryuger, it won't be as good as Dino Thunder. That gave us the "teens with attitude plus dinosaur superheros" formula with kids from different cliques coming together in a way that was believable and made sense instead of "oh they're all best friends and perfect A students just because" like MMPR and managed to actually make Tommy an interesting-ish character. The only problem was the source material-forced iffyness with Trent.

I know we're still two or three years out from it but I will say now that Kyoryuger's adaptation won't be anywhere near a third as good as Dino Thunder.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Getting all "I'll explain later" with why Black changes to Green was funny and yelling the morph calls of the teams they were Gokai Changing into was a nice touch until they kinda just stopped doing it.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Raw Zyu2 footage including "new" Megazord fights.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
"So we've only got 20 episodes for this 'year after the anniversary' series, we should probably be paring back the Sentai footage and refilming around it where necessary to just use stuff that was actually in Power Rangers right?"

"Nah, just throw the rest of the White Ranger's team in there! Why do they have them? Where do they come from? Won't that be weird if we use the full team morph later on? Doesn't matter, Gosei can just pull them out of his metaphorical arse!"

I rewatched the Ninja Storm/Dino Thunder teamup last night. It was nice to see some Power Rangers where the production team cared about what they were doing.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

MisterBibs posted:

Was it pure "We don't know if kids will keep watching if we use other footage"?

Pretty much. They'd just found themselves with a big hit and didn't want to mess with brand recognition.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I don't mind the ninja pyjamas themselves, but I hated how their silly hijinks replaced the unmorphed fights in the show.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Hey wow they mostly shut up and just did normal fight noises apart from the Power Rangers New Powers sequence.

Super Megaforce 02 would've been a perfectly serviceable episode if it wasn't for the Dairanger mess.

Also, Troy, maybe put your Morpher on vibrate while scoping out the bad guys huh?

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 23, 2014

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I like that the story of Super MegaForce 03 was basically Noah trying to save face after the monster made a fool of him while he was trying to mack on Emma

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I've only seen a handful of random episodes but my thoughts on Jungle Fury are:

• I don't care what anyone says, the sunglass morphers are :krad:
  • RJ is a cool dude

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Twelve by Pies posted:

If so, it's a pretty neat series, although I wish he wouldn't take up so much time at the beginning of each episode talking about how he'll never watch the Sentai and to stop asking him when the next episode will come out. I also shook my head in disbelief when he complained about the Ninja Storm characters doing ninja things like running on water.

The thing about his "shut up about the Sentai!" rants is that fair enough, not everybody has to watch Sentai and it's cool to just like Power Rangers or whatever but even some basic research would allow him to offer better context for certain production decisions and look at how Power Rangers did things to work around Sentai elements to tell its story instead of just yelling "WHY WOULD THEY DO THAT!?"

The best thing about his Ninja Storm videos wasn't even "why are the ninjas doing ninja things?", but his complete inability to understand young adults being into motocross.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Solaris Knight posted:

salvaged Mystic Force theme.

Mystic Force's theme is great and doesn't need salvaging :colbert:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
The only thing I can feel for people that don't appreciate Mystic Force's off-brand Outkast jam is pity.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Only a couple tough choices in the bunch. Zeo 5 VS MMPR Red, for one.

Uh that's actually a pretty simple one. Jason over Tommy, always.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

jivjov posted:

But what if MMPR Red is Rocky? I never vote for Rocky.

I think we just pretend Rocky was never a Red Ranger now since they use Quantum Ranger to pad out the numbers for stuff like Forever Red and 20th anniversary marketing materials when the Red Ninja Ranger (pyjama ninjas, not Kakuranger alien ninjas) would work just as well.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I liked Creeper Jayden. He just turns up at their table, is all "I've been watching you", then disappears when they look away for a second.

It's more interesting than he was in 40 episodes of his own show.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Jayden and Troy still being in it isn't surprising. Kids are surely voting too and they're going to go for the recent ones that they really know.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Oh god, picking between zeo gold and mmpr white was the hardest thing in the world.

Uh Jason over Tommy is always the easiest decision in the world.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

SpazmasterX posted:

In what universe do people pick the most boring "evil" ranger ever over goddamn MMPR green. :psyduck:

Trent's "evil" dilemma was more interesting than Tommy's "oh no a witch made me evil."
The excuses for working around Sentai footage for Trent were better than "oops, I forgot my communicator at the gym" or "I was literally tied up after losing a fight against the foot soldiers."
The Drago Sword is cooler than the Dragon Dagger
The relationship between Trent and Kira was, like everything in Dino Thunder compared to MMPR, better written than Tommy and Kimberly
The actor was hotter than MMPR era JDF

Suits are an even point because both Dragon Ranger and Abarekiller are boss designs.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Power Rangers Salt Force

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Jungle Fury was also one of the shows that got a marathon rerun on Nicktoons so it's in the recent exposure of the current batch of kids.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

toomanyninjas posted:

Did they split up last season like that with half at the front of the year and the other half at the back?

That's SOP since the Saban buyback/move to Nick.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Eleven Rangers looking for the same thirty stones :unsmigghh:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I appreciate that TV-Nihon's subs allow you to enjoy the full flavour of Japan's rich culture and language. Like the way they couldn't be bothered to translate stuff like "mum" and "sis" and whatever in Magiranger.

gently caress TV-Nihon.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Gotenks0053 posted:

I was pretty good with it until it hits Go Go Power Rangers yet again.

I'm okay with the use of Go Go Power Rangers here. It's like Zeo. Keeping that through all the themes doesn't bother me as long as the rest of it is original to the season.

The problem is when the whole song is just Go Go Power Rangers again like we've had through Samurai and Megaforce.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
An actual Power Rangers licensed game would have a shoestring budget and be nowhere near as elaborate and over the top as Wonderful 101 so it really is kinda "well we already got the best Power Rangers game we ever could from them."

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Burkion posted:

The astounding thing is

It's still better than Overdrive.

God drat Overdrive how are you so aggressively *AWFUL*

At least Overdrive kinda gave half a poo poo about the veteran Ranger characters it brought back :shrug:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Burkion posted:

and then as they start to get into a groove there, half of their main characters leave the show so abruptly that they had ADR lines to finish.

They could have avoided this one by just actually paying them properly after they said "hey, you're making megabucks off this thing but treating us like poo poo."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Operation Overdrive had a better anniversary celebration than Super/Megaforce