Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

JT Smiley posted:

The Go-busters story wasn't that dark and could easily be watered down enough to work for PR. Aside for Time force, and Samurai Pr has always done its own thing when it comes to adapting Sentai anyway.

Frankly, RPM isn't too far from Go-Busters in terms of storyline or darkness considering the city is the last remaining piece of civilization on Earth. Going for a direct version, the Rangers, instead of being sent into subspace are artificially upgraded into cyborgs. The upgrades are flawed however and each ranger has a different flaw. Buddyroids don't need to change much beyond the name, but any scene involving them will probably have to be reshot entirely given their heavy interaction with the rest of the team. Gold, instead of being trapped in subspace, might instead be an AI. Everything else can go in as is.

On the other hand, they can completely rewrite the script as you say and make the Buddyroids and villains something else. Maybe robots from another dimension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Larryb posted:

Yeah pretty much. It's really just a question of how much of a trainwreck this turns out to be, especially when we get to the second half.

Also I'm hoping the fact that this and Samurai have almost the exact same theme song is just some ill-conceived attempt at nostalgia and they make something different for the eventual Go-Busters adaption. The whole role call thing they've been doing in the opening is kind of annoying too.

There's going to be a problems if the Gokai suits are a power up suit and not just an upgrade where they dump the old ones given obvious factors like the colors and how different the actors and some of their colors are (it's only the boys that are the problem).

Has it been said how long Saban has PR? I do hope Go-Bus ends up being the hand off season since that usually leads to a better than average season.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Tae posted:

Power Rangers hasn't had a good theme song since SPD.

That's because the composer for SPD's opening its the same one that did the first few openings.

At this point, I think Saban is just trying to run out their contract before offloading it while crapping out toys and episodes as needed.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Tae posted:

RPM was Disney, this is Saban that doesn't want to pay union aka better actors.

Or Writers given the dreck of a plot that was served up. Still, Saban could just crib RPM and run from there.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Liar Lyre posted:

If it makes you feel better, way back in 93-94 they did the same exact thing. Air until the spring/summer and then go away until the fall.

That's how a number of shows of that length are actually. If they're not broken into a Spring season and a Fall season, then they do a midseason break for the Summer/Winter as new promos or footage is filmed. I may be missing or off on some details however

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

jivjov posted:

It really makes me wonder though...how bad is the acting in the original Sentai stuff? I've long suspected that I find it better than it actually is due to the language barrier, but if nothing else the writing is way better in Sentai. I posted over in the Toku thread that by the end of Shinkenger I was super invested in the characters and how things would turn out for them.

From what I've heard, they're pretty poo poo actors too. It's just that the language barrier masks the poo poo. The writing can be good in PR, but it depends on how much they have to adapt from the original and who's actually writing.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Well that, and the seasons that go a totally different direction tend to work best. (In Space/RPM)

The ones that really shined were those where cancellation or switch-over loomed so the writers were given more free reign. Zeo, for example, pretty much did its own thing as does Megaforce right now.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Here, have a Norwegian nerd/metal vocalist singing arrangements of all the PR themes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4CU2HEKJzk

The music is great. His singing is way too high pitched though given the original vocalists for most of those tracks so it feels unnatural in that sense. Is there a version without him singing?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Astro Nut posted:

Yeeeeaaahhhh, its kinda crazy. The best handwave you can maybe wring out of it was that Alex was betting his luck on ~timeline shifts~ to cheat himself out of that one, since he was actually dead before history started getting mucked about with, despite it theoretically having minimal impact on the events that killed him.

But, as the series has shown, Power Rangers and time travel is weird.

The same could be said for sentai though,I think

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The closer PR gets to the original Sentai, the worse it ends up being. Megaforce being the exception is loose adaptation still being rear end and Time Force being decent while still carrying mostly everything but the villain and Time Fire directly over

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

So, there's something called Morphin Madness going on where you vote for one of two rangers for sweepstakes entries and coupons for deals on Power Rangers merch.

Only a couple tough choices in the bunch. Zeo 5 VS MMPR Red, for one. I may have lost my PR fan card for voting Doggie Kruger over MMPR White though. :( Sorry, JDF. He's a dog.

Round 2 of this has just started.

Standings:
Two Super Megaforce Rangers remain (beating the Crimson Ninja Storm Ranger and Zeo Blue).
Robo Knight is the only Megaforce ranger remaining by beating the Signalman/Blue Senturion from Turbo. (Robo Knight is now facing the Phantom Ranger in a twist of Turbo Fate)
All of the Mighty Morphin rangers are still in the running except Pink (who mas beaten by MagiMother/Mystic Force White).
There's only one OO ranger and that's BoukenSilver/Mercury who beat RPM Silver (Gold beat the Quantum Ranger however).
There's two Samurai left and they're both Red
The Titanium ranger is the last Lightspeed Rescue member (and beat Wolzard/Mystic Force Wolf for it)
Zeo Gold is the last Zeo member left (after beating Samurai Gold)
All SPD entrants are out, but all of the the Dino Thunder1 entrants are still in

1: Just realized the similarity of that name and Dino Charge. At the very least they could've named it "Jurassic Charge" or something to keep it a little distinct

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So will the Phantom Ranger make his appearance or will they just drop him for no reason?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Solaris Knight posted:

One of my main scruples with Megaforce is that instead of using the vast mythology of Edenoi, terra Venture, Ko-35, etc, they've mostly been Earth centric to save on budget, I assume

I almost want Saban to tank in ratings so we get a third hail mary balls out season that redeems them.

If Power Rangers was always in end of contract mode, I would be satisfied.

Edit: Also, third round of Morphin Madness is up and SuperMega Red still hasn't lost, wtf? also, the first Jason/Tommy match has started and it's Zeo Gold vs. the White Ranger.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 25, 2014

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I'm honestly surprised the Mystic Force White Ranger is still kicking around.

Phantom Ranger and Titanium Ranger are doing better than I thought they were last time I saw their ratings.

Time Force Pink is doing alright as well, so that makes me happy since it looks like only her and Mystic White/MMPR Yellow remain as female representation.

I think the brackets were organized like that on purpose to mostly ensure there'd be one female in the final five

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

JT Smiley posted:

Why are people rigging a popularity contest? Who cares if Tommy wins or not? I'm not even a fan, but it just seems like a lot of effort with no actual pay off.

The payoff is happening right now. JDF getting in a huff about it is a form of payoff.

And fwiw, Andross should win anyways.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Small update on the "Morphin' Madness" thing: It seems like JDFDF has turned it around and he's winning all three of his things again (or the bot has hosed up and is now voting for the other side since the disparity is now going in the other direction)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

RMZXAnarchy posted:

MMPR Yellow vs Time Pink? Dammit, I wanted both to win.

But Time Pink it is, sorry Trini, Jen's better written. Too bad the votes have sided against her though.

And it appears Phantom Ranger is winning against Not-Marvelous, awesome.

If we could get two original rangers, that'd be great. Even if the Phantom Ranger was just a one shot character in Sentai

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Solaris Knight posted:

Decade's also laden with continuity stuff

Honestly, Masked Rider may have crashed horribly, but Beetleborgs and Dragon Knight were surprisingly popular, and Saban/Bandai would benefit from more money flow.

I'm afraid new Saban would poo poo the bed if they tried a Rider series again

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Astro Nut posted:

...I'm imagining that theme with the words 'Power Rangers' replacing Inspector Gadget. Thanks for that.

Honestly though, on its own, Dino Charge works as a morphing call. They're freaking batteries, so you just put them in to charge the gun and oh god that's where the title comes from. Well, that and the image of stampeding ancient beasts, but yeah.

Though I suppose it would sound redundant to yell out 'Dino Charge!' for the morph, to then announce that they're Power Rangers Dino Charge. Would make it sound like they have to morph twice.

The name announcement might be part of the morph

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I like how everyone is mysteriously eighteen. Like, I get it, they want to cast young to get kids to go "gently caress yeah, that could be me", but I really think it's lazy to just make everyone the same age. Some variance in makes for more interesting characters, which is why I've totally dug sentai having dudes around my age lately. (And let's not forget Masato Jin, the 40-year-old BeetBuster.)

Also, mega-lolz at Ivan the British Knight from the year 1113. What is this, Mystic Knights of Tir-na-Nog?

For what it's worth, I've never thought that hard about the ages of the characters in PR and just assumed they were whatever was appropriate for the setting

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

This makes me wonder if they're going to continue to cut out those kind of gags (like when Gai said to use the ninja ones and he transformed into Shurikenger and the rest of the team transformed into Kakuranger) or if they'll flip them around so it's "Orion isn't familiar with the Power Rangers and sometimes uses the 'wrong' keys."

That specific one might not work since the Alien rangers never really got any indication that they were Ninjas beyond how they look. Dinosaurs (Zyu vs Abra) or Space (Mega vs Kaku vs Deka) or "Japan" (Hurri vs Samurai) would work though.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Astro Nut posted:

Whilst I imagine it would involve some original footage, I'd love to see Orion get stumped when the team says something like unleashing their inner animal spirit (for Jungle Fury), and he just looks at all the various animal designs on teams.

Forgot about that possibility and there are 2 (3 if Lost Galaxy counts) that would fit

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'd honestly say that PR is generally at its best the further it is from the source sentai. Megaforce is an exception

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Liar Lyre posted:

Studio doesn't matter that much. Yeah, they will influence the production a bit, but I don't think Lionsgate is a strict studio. You should be waiting to see who is writing and directing. I have no idea who I'd want for a Power Rangers movie. I just hope whoever it is takes it somewhat serious.

I would sacrifice offspring to see a Sentai by Guilermo Del Toro. It's never gonna happen obviously, but it would be cool.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Sir Coq of Nandos posted:

Fat Anerican fingers.

Fingers, toes, tongues, etc. could get stuck

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SpazmasterX posted:

American Children: Ruining Toys For Over 20 years.

I'm sure the same thing happens to Japanese children too. The difference is that their parents just take their kid to the hospital and then leave it at that as opposed to American ones suing the company to pay for the bills, any future complications due to the "injuries" and any additional compensation due to "emotional trauma" while calling it completely unsafe.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Morby posted:

Ok, so I am kind of new to Power Rangers. I loved Mighty Morphin back in the day, but stopped watching it until fairly recently. My girlfriend got me to watch Super Megaforce and I liked it ok, but then she had me watch Gokaiger and now I'm hooked back in. Since then, I've watched Jungle Fury and Mystic Force (which I really liked), Goseiger, Magiranger, and a little bit of Megaforce. I've got Dekaranger, Boukenger, and Gekiranger to try next.

Do you guys prefer to watch the Sentai before the Power Rangers series or vice versa? Or do you just entirely skip one? I watched Magiranger after Mystic Force and found them both really enjoyable and the things that made them different made them both great in their own ways. I apologize if this is something that has been debated to death and I can edit my post accordingly.

I'll weigh in as well I guess. As a kid, I basically watched PR when I could. I started with the later MMPR seasons and I completely blank on early Turbo, but I remember watching all the way until Ninja Storm. I only picked up Sentai due to watching RPM because of a clip where they're literally taking the piss out of the whole genre. From there, I went to Gokaiger and have been watching Sentai since. PR doesn't interest me as something to watch, only something to observe.

For acclaimed PR series that's not from the classic Saban continuity, try RPM which completely ditches anything to do with Go-Onger and substititues it with its own plot and SPD which stays pretty close to Dekaforce.
For Sentai, there's a lot but Gokaiger, Go-Busters and Kyoryuger are all extremely solid series.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

I skip Power Rangers entirely. I did try to get back into it some years back, but I picked probably the dumbest part of Overdrive to tune in for and it just shut down any desire I had until RPM came around. Gave that a shot, it was so unlike Go-onger that I just walked away. People say RPM was good, but I just haven't had an urge to bother with the franchise since.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVrTsryg_CM
This is probably the reason I even decided to pick up RPM. Also, it goes all out in terms of being a last season under a given company so it could get away with a Post-Apoc setting for a kids show.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SpazmasterX posted:

So you wanna start watching some post-MMPR Power Rangers:

• RPM. As usual, the threat of permanent cancellation gets a writing team off their asses for once. Watch please.
  • Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters. Sentai only. They're skipping this to make Dino Charge, which is either a godsend or a travesty because Go-Busters was amazing and genre-defying, and a modern Saban version could probably only gently caress it up. Definitely track down subs for this.

One of the eeriest things is that Go-Busters could be directly adapted and turned into a straight sequel to RPM. Civilization begins to reexpand, remnants of the big bad turns into a computer virus, and the design aesthetic of Dr. K continue onwards. It would transition beautifully.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Adjunct Cheesecake posted:

RPM. Wow what a season. There wasn't much I didn't like about this season and lots of things I did like. Aside from a brief lull late in the season before the two-part finale, the pacing worked pretty well. Of the seasons I've watched so far, this one seemed to have the least filler episodes, each episode usually did something to advance the plot. I liked that each ranger got their own focus episode more or less, more than any other season I felt like I knew who the characters were. Scott was a bit underwhelming as a red ranger. I liked Gem and Gemma but can see how others found them annoying. Although the black ranger had a lot of focus throughout the season, it didn't get old to me, there was usually something going on with his character. The plot seemed very good overall. This is definitely the best season of PR I've watched. I don't think any other season comes very close for me.

The low amount of filler is also aided by the truncated season length.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Hinoarashi posted:

I'll probably always have a "What could have been?"-melancholy attached to RPM around it's show-runner, Eddie Guzelian, being fired halfway through filming and replaced by Judd Lynn. What we ended up with under the new regime was good and I like Judd Lynn's body of work as EP and am glad he's coming back for Dino Charge, but the bits and pieces of Eddie's endgame that have been revealed since seem pretty epic and I kind of feel a little bit cheated.

Well part of that was because he blew the budget on the series and that's generally something frowned upon.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Sounds like he probably wouldn't come back which is a drat shame.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

So Dillon absorbs the remainder of Messiah Venjix's programming and becomes Ranger Dark Buster?

Like I said, Go-Busters may as well be the sequel to RPM

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Potsticker posted:

It's not so much a slam as it is an acknowledgement of the hate-boner. Some of TV-N's work is better than others, but the overall quality is low enough that that tumblr exists. I think some of the entries there are pretty nitpicky, but they had at least enough content on hand or submitted to them that kept it going for a while.

And then there's Magenta's occasional blog posts about TVN's Gaim which end up boiling down to "they could be so much better but they're not."

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Tae posted:

Say what you will about disney seasons, their actors don't seem to complain too much about the production behind the scenes after all's said and done unlike a lot of Saban era before and after Disney.

I think the Green SPD ranger was appalled at the "money" Saban offered to cover cameo costs.

The green SPD ranger is a pretty cool guy. He marries the professor and doesn't afraid of anything.

Just imagine if Disney still had PR. They'd probably do some sort of tie-in for Star Wars or Marvel or just have an episode written with tons of licensed references

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

greatn posted:

Do you mean lightspeed?

Actually, I meant RPM.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Awesome antagonists is what PR is missing :colbert:

Also, all of Go-Busters, apparently. At least Escape won't be inflicted on North America.

A Westernized version of Escape could be good if she was made as dramatic as Enter.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

jivjov posted:

Yeah, have fun on turtles. I'm...sick that week. Very sick. No voice. Can't do it. Broken eyes too. Can't watch.

I don't think it was that bad. I was 7 or 8 at the time though (don't remember what year that all was), so I might be entirely mistaken and horribly wrong.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

It was mentioned in the toku thread in ADTRW that Saban seems to have decided to skip ToQger for localization. The reasoning is that since trains aren't as big of a thing in the US as they are in Japan, the theme of the show would kind of fall flat, and they suspect toy sales won't be as high due to that.

If this is true then I guess we'll either get a half year long hiatus between the first and second half of Dino Charge, or they might do like they did with Samurai and we'll get Super Dino Charge or something (potentially also with a hiatus).

While you're not wrong about that, Megaranger, while definitely an internet/high school based Sentai, didn't have that theme so prominent in their mecha or outfits. Just looking at the Megaranger suits and robots doesn't really say "INTERNET/TECHNOLOGY" as much as the ToQger outfits and robots say "TRAINS."

It's not so much of a "This is impossible to adapt!" thing as it is a matter of "Kids might not really be as into the theme in this country." Same thing with Dino Charge, Kyoryuger has a very obvious dinosaur theme to it, there isn't any way they could hide that. Not that they need to, because kids love dinosaurs, so Dino Charge is probably going to do great. Trains is a bit of a different story.

The fact that they also skipped Go-Busters also says something about how much effort and budget they they really want to allocate given that Go-Bus is fairly locale agnostic and the only hangups being the Enter and Escape's perpetual non-suit presence. Otherwise, it's 100% ripe for adaptation, but I don't recall any actual statements as to why there's no adaptation. (Here's hoping they go back to adapt it since ToQ's a no-go though.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I do hope Dino Charge gives the Female Cyan suit more use than Kyoryuger did. I also hope the Caveman backstory for Blue isn't as completely as retarded as it sounds. On the other hand, Kyoryujin Western would make 100% more sense given that there's an actual cowboy character in the lineup. Kung-Fu stops making as much sense in exchange.

Also, here's a thing that's kinda old: http://www.jefusion.com/2014/04/power-rangers-dino-charge-character-info_5.html