Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He'll learn it better if he realizes it himself. Captain Mitchell is a flawless human being. If only he were also a dog and could morph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Carter is the only power ranger in the franchises history who understands that he has a gun at all times.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If Lost Galaxy is the Battlestar Galactica of Power Rangers, Lightspeed Rescue is the Stargate SG-1.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hey remember that episode of the kids show power rangers where a human guy pulled A loving GUN on a bus full of people?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just did some checking and now Power Rangers is the longest running (in terms of number of episodes) English language sci Fi series. Dr. Who is at 827 with the 2016 Christmas special and the season premiere of Ninja Steel was episode 832.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

She agrees to date him in the last episode, and next time he shows up they're married, I'm relatively sure.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Has 9/11 happened yet? You can really tell which episodes were made after it.

Was the episode where Ransik's is on TV making terrorist threats the original version or the post 9/11 version? (after 9/11 they edited out his dialogue and replaced it with music and a montage of monster clips)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I did not realize power rangers has the first gay superhero in a big screen film. That's kind of insane that the haven't been any others yet.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Burkion posted:

It really should have been Billy if they were going to make any of them gay.

Then they could, you know, not make him actually autistic, which is just sickening if you actually think about it.

Just loving Christ think for one goddamn minute Hollywood

Wait, what? It's awesome that they have a superhero on the spectrum. Why is that sickening?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

God you're so loving cynical.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just think it's a lovely attitude to say a gay woman doesn't count as "gay enough" to be solid, progressive representation in a genre where gay characters are underrepresented.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I've seen far more rage aimed at Beauty and the Beast for Emma Watson not being French enough to play Belle, which I guess is a thing people care about?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I recall the original Sulu thinking it was lame and not liking it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You absolutely haven't actually seen how they handle the character though.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Maybe an autistic person would like to imagine they could fight giant aliens.

Every autistic person is different anyway. My nephew is diagnosed as aspergers and he takes karate and even does competition and is good at it. He also does mascot stuff and when he's in a suit it is like he's an entirely different person. He basically could be a power ranger.

If you're gonna say "an autistic person shouldn't be fighting aliens", like, no teenager at all should be fighting giant aliens, they should jump straight to Lost Galaxy and have all their characters be trained military.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 20, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Burkion posted:

Do you mean in Sentai or Power Rangers?

Cause Tommy was the leader when Jason left as the White Ranger. I feel like there's another example I'm forgetting

Delphine was the leader of the Alien rangers.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Variety and Forbes reviews have been rather even handed saying the film has positive and negatives, Variety more towards the negative and Forbes more towards the positive. All the reviews I've seen including the negative make that Screenrant one look like a hackjob takedown though.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Whatever you wanna say about Wild Force, I don't think you can Debby Merrick, Zen Aku, and the Wolf Ranger are badass. He's definitely top tier sixth for me.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Just manslaughter. I still maintain his innocence. His roommate was asking him how to acheive huge gains and Ricardo thought he would blow up and grow to gigantic size.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Here's hoping he doesn't have to join a gang and become the White Power ranger.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oh poo poo isn't forever red like right after this episode?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Because the real power was in their jackets all along.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There was a late season 2 power rangers episode with an evil Billy clone who convinces everyone to give him their communicator for upgrades, and Tommy is like "I'm just going to hold onto mine until you finish with everyone else's".

It was the most competent decision any power ranger had made to that point, from Tommy of all people, a man who forgets his watch so much he sent a message back in time asking if he could borrow his own watch.

Other than that moment, I think kid Tommy was good, and I love episodes where he does silly poo poo like he can't stop eating or can only talk by singing.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Good profile on Haim Saban.

https://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-haim-saban-power-rangers-20170319-story,amp.html

I can't believe how cheap he bought back the Power Rangers franchise from Disney.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You seem like an expert but I've always wondered how hands on was he with those first few seasons of power rangers? Like how much screwing over actors and such came down to him personally?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

drrockso20 posted:

I still hold to the theory that it's either a fake or a prototype which is why it's both so small and so easily destroyed

Yeah the real one should be either in the M51 Galaxy or on Triforia or whatever planet Zedd was invading in C2D.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I actually used to go on ranger board back then, fans were somewhat livid the series wasn't "serious" anymore.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like both styles. Especially since even "serious" seasons have completely goofy episodes like "My Kung Fu Master mistakenly trained a monster to kick my rear end" or "So I dated a mermaid" or "I'm dating my best friend's sister who is also the main villain" or "we ran into a movie studio and are magically in movie land".

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The most unrealistic thing in the show is in the abaranger episode, when the three of them are watching the TV, Ethan leaves for whatever which leaves a big gap on the couch between Connor and Kira, and he a teenage boy watching TV late at night alone with a cute teenage girl makes no attempt to scoot in next to her.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That way he could never be mind controlled by evil again, because his good dinosaur would mind control him to be good. Or imagine if they could have just mind controlled Master Vile with their good dinosaur.

I think this was the plot of that Disney movie the Good Dinosaur.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Brother Entropy posted:

this got me thinking about how american sentai fans must've reacted to this episode when this aired(probably joylessly) and then that got me thinking how dreadful the fansub scene must've been back in the early '00s, i don't think even tv-nihon was a thing yet

I posted that I liked the episode on one toku board and was immediately banned.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I wonder if they'll make it to 1000 EPs. It would be about nine or ten more seasons given their current 20 EPs a season.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

jivjov posted:

If the sentai keeps going, I can't imagine Power Rangers will go anywhere.

Yeah but once Nickelodeon gets tired of it where will it go? Kids networks seem to cancel shows, even successful well liked ones, to make room for new ones on a whim.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

McTimmy posted:

Cartoon Network will probably be thinking it's a good idea to try a live-action block again by that time.

Cartoon Network bought rights to air Pokemon a while back, and then once the franchise really started picking up heat with Pokemon go and the new game being the fastest selling ever, they shunted probably the best series the show has ever had to 6am once a week, often preempted. I think Disney has it now.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I believe if you gave Jason David Frank a real Morpher he would do the right thing, but if you gave it to someone else, he might become possessed by the evil Dai Shi plan.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Why did they stop putting in another girl if the Sentai didn't support it?

Earlier seasons there would always be at least two, even if the Sentai had only one, but it seems starting with Ninja Storm if the Sentai had only one Power Rangers would have only one. The teams just started seeming a lot less gender balanced, which was disappointing.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

TFRazorsaw posted:

The guy is an egomaniac at the very least. It's an open secret that he never appears with Austin St. John at conventions or other outings and demands that he always be given top billing and that nothing ever be allowed to upstage him. Then there's how he tried manipulating the anniversary Morphin Madness poll to try and get all of his ranger forms, and his aforementioned shittalking of the Disney seasons despite all the attention they gave him for DT and allowances for absences during filming.

Not to mention, given how he's shown himself to be pretty much a fundie Christian, the way you can just see David Yost flinch when JDF gets in his space in recorded footage of the MMPR set, and the fact the two of them have never made any public appearances together in years since... well. I think you can draw conclusions about his involvement in certain black marks on the franchise's history.

I think Yost has said it's the crew that was dicks to him, not the cast. Frank is definitely a fundie, but I think that came later. He's more of an "extreme gains for Jesus" metal fundie than a Kirk Cameron scared of people who are different fundie.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah, I think RPM is the only series with a "sixth" ranger girl, and her twin ranger brother.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

As Nero Danced posted:

Reading about JDF reminds me of that weird group of weight lifters that went around to schools ripping phone books in half to convince kids not to do drugs. I think they came to my school once, they couldn't rip the book apart :(.

Ironically they probably could have if they did some drugs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

TFRazorsaw posted:

That was Samurai. And they simultaneously adhered too close to the Sentai plot line while totally screwing up the context in which it worked.

I never actually watched samurai. Didn't RPM have twins that had, like, cat gyrocopters or something?