Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Can anyone help me figure out if this character exists/what Power Rangers series he appeared in?

I recall there being a Power Ranger that had long frizzy blond hair, and giant alien ears. Sound familiar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

SpazmasterX posted:

Okay so, this is a shot from the darkest corner of television history. Are you possibly talking about Radu from Space Cases?

Oh god, yep, that's it. How embarrassing! Thank you for solving the mystery.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Al Borland Korn posted:

Was chromite the carranger Mook?

Is there a good reason why Power Rangers stopped using sentai's foot soldiers? Seems like it would limit their ability to use sentai footage without much payoff.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Larryb posted:

Technically they only did it in MMPR Seasons 2 & 3 (though to be fair, the Tenga did at least fit in with Kakuranger's whole Youkai motif), Turbo, Space, Lost Galaxy and Dino Thunder. Even then, with the exception of the first two the Sentai mooks almost always show up anyway in some fashion.

Not entirely sure why they bothered but to be honest more often then not I actually like most of the PR-exclusive foot soldiers better than their Sentai counterparts.

Thanks. I guess I'm showing my ignorance because I only watched MMPR through In Space. I'm slowly making my way through the sentai equivalents now.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

MisterBibs posted:

I wish I could get into Sentai more. Every time I watch any of their seasons, I wind up wishing I was watching the corresponding Power Rangers season instead.

Like, intellectually, I get that Power Rangers is usually trash, and I should be into its source more. I think it might be the language barrier, I don't know, all I know is that there's this base-level "I'm not interested in this" that permeates every incarnation I watch.

Huh. I'm watching Zyuranger and feel like we got ripped off with the Power Rangers. There are some really great visuals in this. It's definitely got some annoying issues, it's formulaic like the Power Rangers and every episode has to feature a child that needs help, but when things get serious, holy poo poo. I love it. And it's surreal seeing characters like Bandora/Rita communing with Satan.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Is it bad that I would've completely agreed with Justin using his powers for personal gain here? They sure wouldn't gently caress with him anymore if they got the poo poo beaten out of them by the Blue Ranger. Or hell, apparently even an unmorphed Justin could've broken some teeth. That's a really strong child.

No. That moment annoyed me when it aired. And all that annoyance boiled back up when I watched that clip.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Lizard Wizard posted:

Today on Power Rangers, the second best soccer episode to date.

Man, the Super Sentai Elgar looks so much better than the Power Rangers version.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Sea Lily posted:

Bulk and Skull deserved to become power rangers

Their actors' convention panels on youtube are worth watching - they still have amazing chemistry.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Is April confusing the names of each turtle from the original airing, or your editing?

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Burkion posted:

Dragonzord is still my favorite MechaGodzilla

The first appearance in Dragon Caeser in the sentai is amazing.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Wouldn't they take on human form when morphed?

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

mateo360 posted:

It took me a little time to figure out what even would establish that but you mean like in the case of Shadow Ranger and DC Silver right?

I am not enough of a Power Ranger fan to know what you're talking about, but Justin Turbo ranger, and that dog dude in one of the shows.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Burkion posted:

What makes it special is holy Goddamn sweet Jesus the fights. Especially the Zord Fights

I haven't revisited MMPR aside from clips, but I watched Zyuranger a few years back and the Sentai guardian beast footage is something else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWRVnt-EPFQ

Edge of my seat watching children's programming. Just pure awesome.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

drrockso20 posted:

I imagine they're limited more by the quality of the Sentai footage than by the Saban made footage

Anyone know the tech specs on the show? It looks like the Japanese footage was shot on film, and American footage on video - guessing it was edited on video as well?

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Aww man. He was always cool to folks at cons. "Jesus didn't tap" takes on a whole new meaning when you realize he was probably dealing with some awful poo poo.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Genuine question, I heard some people mention he didn't seem well at the last Power Morphicon. I looked up some videos, and there's a ton of footage of him mentioning he's tired of covering up his tattoos, and that someone thought he doesn't fit the image expected of him. Did whomever owns the Power Rangers IP these days give him poo poo over his appearance?

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Austin St. John:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMzHNM8Cqc0

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

LividLiquid posted:

People frame it like it's some cowardly or selfish act, but suicide — like addiction — is really just a lack of resources to pull upon in the face of overwhelming pain.

The thoughts convince you that you're doing everybody a favor. That the world will be better off without you. It's a fantastic liar.

It's a permanent solution to a temporary problem that has convinced you it will never, ever end.

Yeah... And sometimes it goes on long enough (in my case 5 years) that you have good reason to think it will never end.

I can't imagine the pain he was dealing with. gently caress depression.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Larryb posted:

Also apparently Rita is coming back in the anniversary special as a cyborg with Barbara Goodson returning to do the voice

https://twitter.com/HurricaneGold_/status/1615375076257562635

It's probably safe to presume the footage with the Green Ranger and Rita are flashback or dream sequences.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Anyone know how long the 30th anniversary special will be?

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Speculation, but spoilering in case folks are avoiding the trailer

Looks like Robo Rita shrinks/transforms Tommy, Jason, and Kimberly to explain their absence.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

J33uk posted:

Only thing missing? Surely we could wrangled the Dragonzord in there somehow. Say it's all pissed about Tommy and it's just showing up to wreck some baddies.

How can you have the green ranger and not play the dragon dagger music!?

Part of me is annoyed that they had stand-ins for Tommy, Jason, and Kimberly but then I realized that's part of the tradition of the series - not only cutting between super sentai footage and american-shot footage, but having awkward stand-ins because of pay disputes or actors walking off the set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Craptacular! posted:

In MMPRTM Zedd sounded nothing like he did on TV but he still sounded great.

I feel like I'm losing my mind, because the performance sounded identical to the TV show, maybe with some post-processing/EQ to give him a deeper, thicker sound.