Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I think the biggest problem with both versions of Megaforce is the fact that it's just so lifeless. Because they rely so heavily on Sentai footage and cram two unrelated seasons together everything comes up feeling hollow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Now that's just spot one right there

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Coq au Nandos posted:

Just stumbled onto a couple of new scans about ToQuger - here be spoilers.

New robots

Sixth ranger

I know I shouldn't judge the series based solely on designs, but they're making it so hard not to.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Wow, they couldn't even come up with a better name than "The New Powers"? That's loving terrible and to make matters worse they just pop out of no where. I wonder if they're gonna bring over any other sentai only teams?

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The ninja pyjamas looked really cool in the movie. Substantially less so in the series.

And god, let us not discuss the disappointment over how incredibly lame the metallic armour was. I was hoping they'd found an excuse to bring in the movie suits, not have the Rangers attend a children's hobby meet :qq:

Ugh, thanks for reminding me! The worst thing about that was they hyped it up for several episodes only to reveal those weird glittery versions of their costumes. Which, of course, matched the stupid glittery versions of the toys that came out at the same time as the movie.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Everything after they got the thunderzords was pretty terrible.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Power Rangers: New Powers is a much better name than Super Megaforce.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Flameingblack posted:

I wish someone better than Linkara was doing a retrospective on Power Rangers, but in the time it's taken him to do them I've watched almost all the seasons on Netflix myself anyway, without a rage-driven spergy nerd with a shrill voice nitpicking the tiniest little things and turning it into a 35 minute rant. I'm sure he's going to completely hate RPM somehow and I can imagine that's the first time he'll watch the Sentai and then just put RPM down for not being anything like the source :v:

I couldn't agree more! I barely made it ten minutes into his one on In Space before I couldn't take it anymore. The idea is solid, but he's just so dull and annoying that it's a chore to sit through.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Box of Bunnies posted:

The only thing I can feel for people that don't appreciate Mystic Force's off-brand Outkast jam is pity.

It's seriously catchy as poo poo! Not to mention the acoustic version that played during the finishing attacks was amazing.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

So, there's something called Morphin Madness going on where you vote for one of two rangers for sweepstakes entries and coupons for deals on Power Rangers merch.

Only a couple tough choices in the bunch. Zeo 5 VS MMPR Red, for one. I may have lost my PR fan card for voting Doggie Kruger over MMPR White though. :( Sorry, JDF. He's a dog.

Don't feel bad, Kruger was a loving beast and had way better fights than MMPR white.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
It's a shame they waited until Zeo to actually give Rocky a personality. I wouldn't have minded the power transfer if bad rear end Jason got replaced with sarcastic dick Rocky.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Tae posted:

It was mentioned here that Robo Knight is Barizog.

Which makes no sense, seeing as how he was apart of the armada that attacked Earth moments after Roboknight disappeared.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Why are people rigging a popularity contest? Who cares if Tommy wins or not? I'm not even a fan, but it just seems like a lot of effort with no actual pay off.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
How much does that thing run? I'm not a tommy fan, but it looks too good to pass up.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Astro Nut posted:

That said, this might raise even more questions on where the keys come from. Because if Gosei had one shipped off into freaking space whilst even Megaforce was going on, the Rangers were left in the dark yet again by their so called mentor.

Also, if the Super Megaforce keys are just power ups why doesn't Silver have a Megaforce counterpart?

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I could understand keeping the Megaforce suits IF they used still used footage from Goseiger. But the way it's presented now is just really awkward and cumbersome.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
It's a Nick thing. They love these huge long breaks out of nowhere for some reason. I don't know who's worse them or Cartoon Network.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Also looking forward to seeing if they adapt the Go-On Wings key thing.

That's probably gonna get cut. I honestly can't see any male rangers gender bending at all on this show, even though the girls have done it once.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Senerio posted:

Basically, how my friend summed it up to me, Power Rangers is at its best when it's trying to be serious, while Sentai is at its best when trying to be goofy.

E: Or is that wrong? I only watched the sentai versions of the series I actually liked.

Shinkenger and Go-busters are mostly serious and they're both awesome.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Rubiks Pubes posted:

There's a new Coke commercial with some people sitting around eating take out and I SWEAR the current Pink ranger is one of the girls in it. Anyone else seen it? It's for their new slim box 6 pack drinks.

Doesn't seem too crazy, the green ranger is in a Best Buy ad :

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Sir Coq of Nandos posted:

Just only show the gem things in unmorphed footage and have gems power the batteries. Done.

Kind of like the Dino Gems in Dino Thunder.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I'm surprised they didn't just use the Morphin Brace from Go-Busters. That would have satisfied Bandai America's terror of giving western children implements of violence as transformation devices, plus their desire to filter UV rays from children's eyes.

I wonder if they'll actually use the guns to transform. After all they changed the Jungle Fury morpher to sunglasses because the knuckle brace was considered too violent.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Wait really? I thought it was because those things were terrible toys. They kept the Rhino morpher, and that was a drat blade.

No, they actually still sold those.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Wouldn't Toei have more of an actual say in this matter than Saban?

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Ninja storm had the best theme.

Wrong!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFu2EIj5b20

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Astro Nut posted:

Nick from Mystic Force was also played by a Lebanese Australian. The show's still got some pace to pick up in terms of possible representation, but its gotten better about it over time at least (overall).

Don't forget the Samurai's red ranger was Japanese! At least according to the show he was....

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
So, being the huge dork I am I gathered up all my random PR weapons and created this:

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Sockser posted:

Bullshit.

That's the Sword of Thundara. You get out of here.

Yeah I snuck a little easter egg in there just because.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
They seriously ripped off the best scene from The Amazing Spiderman.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
From the interviews I've seen Steward comes off more weird and awkward than the characters she plays.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Morby posted:

I'm so thrilled about this new team. I've been wanting a black pink ranger since I was 7!

It blows my mind that there hasn't been a black female ranger in over ten years.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
As cool as that case is, the entire series is on Netflix right this second.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Ninjasaurus posted:

Yeah that was bullshit... I don't think they even had a return of the actress playing teenage Aisha, did they?

Different Shade of Pink was done pretty well, I thought.

I met the actress who played Aisha a few years back and she told me at the time some of her friends were actually auditioning for her replacement. Thing is she had no idea she was being written off.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I get what you're saying but lets be honest here, Samurai had a female leader for one or two episodes. SPD's female red was evil and only around for the last two episodes of the season. And while Jen was technically the leader of Time Force Wes was more prominently featured and given the leadership role more often than not.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
If there's more than six rangers on a team what does it matter who's technically the "sixth ranger"? Especially now a days when the sixth ranger gets reduced to just another dude two episodes after he debuts.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Wait, what? Why would you shoot new footage featuring sentai rangers? I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess there's no name or explanation given to these guys.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I think the use of Sentai rangers wouldn't be so bad if they at least were clever about it. But to just have them there with no rhyme or reason and no explanation is just kind of lovely.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I might be the only person who lost interest in Kyoryuger. I made it up till Silver debuts and just stopped watching. Not that the show was bad, by any means, it just didn't hold my attention.

Morby posted:

I really like Jungle Fury and Mystic Force, but I have some friends who don't because of the red ranger (particularly Nick on Mystic Force). If they can't stand the red ranger, it doesn't matter how awesome the rest of the cast is.

That's how I am most of the time, even when it comes to Sentai.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Mystic Force wasn't the worst, but they made ALOT of mistakes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vA3H8sQK88

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Vortex is dead.