Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

ShadowCatboy posted:

Eugh our First Lady is so fat and disgusting.

I would totally name a band Boogie Pork Fever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
Are we sure if Sylly Wabbit is real or not?

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
I read DrudgeReport, National Review Online, and occasionally listen to Limbaugh in the car to get some other perspectives. I don't find myself agreeing with them most of the time, but I don't dismiss it before hearing it.

What country did you come from, ButtonJ? But I absolutely agree that "ObamaCare" is awful, and just a handout to insurance companies. It's not real healthcare reform and probably the worst of both worlds.

The whole reason our healthcare costs so much is the insurance companies; the solution isn't to pay them with tax dollars, but to get rid of them. Surely "cut out the middleman" is a Tea Party-friendly position.

(click for big)

ButtonJ posted:

Oh, I forgot that you soros supporters are obsessed with the Koch Brothers.

I thought you guys would be more receptive to a libertarian view than a conservative view. I guess I was right that you will deny any source that disagrees with you as not being a reputable source.

I guess you won't believe anything unless it comes from Soros.

Haha that is a joke; we're doing it because the accusations we've heard about it were hilarious -- and if we can freak some guy by "confirming" the conspiracy, that's doubly funny. In reality, anybody of leftist persuasion around here thinks George Soros is a terrible person who profits off of third-world misery and is not above crashing currencies and starving people. He's a parasitic crook.

OwlBot 2000 fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 2, 2013

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
Just to let ButtonJ know we've got a diversity of opinion here, "gun control" is pretty low on my list of priorities. Having said that, I think we absolutely should not let known crazy-people get guns and that a capacity limit of say, 30, is not the same as "taking away your right to bear arms" -- having a pistol with 10 rounds, a semi-auto rifle with 15, etc. is still "bearing arms." But regardless, I think gun violence is a symptom of bigger issues like poor mental health services, poverty and insecurity over basic needs like healthcare and education, and a cutthroat, hateful, shallow society -- so we need to fix that if we want any real change.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

ButtonJ posted:

Have to go to work. so as far as you guys are concerned, I'm running away with my tail between my legs. I can live with that. As someone already said, I'm old. I'm old enough that mindless insults don't bother me.

Have a good day at work, ButtonJ. You seem like a good guy and hope you come back and talk some more.

I'd like to know how you'd react to the assertion that Food Stamps are actually GDP positive, in that a 1$ government expenditure on food stamps results in a $1.73 increase in GDP. Also, tax cuts can work, but usually not for the richest brackets.

This might seem weird at first, but it makes sense if you think about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marginal_propensity_to_consume
Basically, if you give a impoverished person $1,000, they will spend it right away on food, clothes and rent. If you give that same amount to a person who has all their necessities met, they don't have any immediate necessity to do anything with that money. They can just put it in savings and never spend it in their lives. The more wealth and income a person has, the lower their marginal propensity to consume. So giving extra money to someone with a lot of money already does very little, macro-economically speaking. But giving extra money to someone with very little almost always results in increased demand and economic activity.

By the way, these numbers come from Mark Zandi, the chief economist at Moody's Analytics, whose concerns are less about politics than just making sure investors who use their services make money.

OwlBot 2000 fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 2, 2013

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

escape artist posted:

I always loving bring this up. Anyway you look at it, Jesus was basically conceived via ghost rape.

That's a funny image, but where do you get the idea that it was non-consensual? I mean, at least in the Catholic and Orthodox faiths she's honored for willingly accepting the Christ-child.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
I agree that CATO is almost always terrible (though people in D&D sure liked them when they endorsed Portugal's legalization policy) but it's a good thing to point out specific problems with the methodology, numbers and so on in addition to pointing out their funding.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

:iceburn: Niiice. I somehow doubt he'll get it, though.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
Also any job increases would be for like, 2 months as that individual stretch is completed. Also, tar sands / fracking etc. has a lot of bad potential for environmental damage and hurting humans nearby as well, even if that danger hasn't yet been realized.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

Divine Disclaimer posted:

May I ask how you did the creepy text for the dead painter? It's super weird.

Zalgo. ZALGO. Z̙ͨͩLͪ̽ͨG̈Ö́͑!̀̓ͨ

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

Mitchicon posted:

Do these people like "2016", or is Dinesh D'Souza's name too weird for them to handle?

Nope, he's One Of The Good Ones™

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

Mister Bates posted:

Also, are they seriously attacking Clinton for being too capitalist?

No no it's different -- Mussolini wanted to merge state and corporate power; the Tea Party wants to replace state power with corporate power. In other words, they want to let corporations and investment banks become the government, except they won't call it a government because it will be profit-driven and therefore inherently good. Conservatives are probably forgetting that big-business doesn't care about religion, immigration, abortion, gay marriage and so on, so that would be a rude awakening for them and they'd want their "big government" back as soon as they realized it.

The Mussolini quote doesn't really mean what people think it does, though; he's not really using "corporate" to refer just to incorporated businesses but to the view that society should be viewed as, and should function as, a body -- a corpora. The farmers and workers would be the legs, the military would be the hands, and the Leader (as the personification of the Will Of The People) would be the head, as it were. Fascism, while inherently evil, is a lot more complex than people give it credit for.

OwlBot 2000 fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 22, 2013

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

Hazo posted:

- The Citation Needed Award goes to Chris McKeown: "Jennie hate to burst your bubble those findings are in dispute in the scientific community. But here is a thought: It has been proven that some people who commit violent crimes over and over have a extra gene. Does that make it OK and that we should over look them folks crimes???"

He doesn't know what he's talking about, but he's likely alluding to something he heard about the MAO-A gene. It is strongly correlated with criminality and aggression, but it depends on early-childhood environmental factors. Someone who has the MAO-A gene and suffered childhood abuse or deprivation is much more likely to commit violent crime than an abused person without the gene. However, it seems not to be expressed at all (in other words, it has no effect) if the individual with the gene is raised in a stable, secure and healthy environment.

There has been at least one case in which an individual with the MAOA gene and a history of childhood abuse has had his sentenced reduced, yielding a rather complex answer to McKeown's simple-minded question. Here's an example; the authors of the article believe the gene's effects are dramatically exaggerated.

But again, the expression of the gene is heavily contingent upon environmental factors:

quote:

I'll give you an example of gene-environment interaction. James Q. Wilson and Richard Herrnstein wrote a book called "Crime and Human Nature" about the determinants of crime. They said there is a genetic predisposition for crime, and there is! Have you heard about the MAOA gene? If you go to the State Prison of Georgia or any other prison you're going to find an overabundance of what are called "MAOA genes." This gene is very predictive of violence, especially early onset violence. But it turns out -- and this is an amazing finding, within the last several years -- if you take two individuals with the same MAOA gene, one raised in a middle class environment, one raised in an environment with a tremendous amount of violence in the background and not much family support, it is only in the latter environment that the MAOA genes show any predictive power for criminality. In the middle class environment, it's as if it never was there. That's a powerful gene-environment interaction. And that's just one gene! When you're thinking about all of the genes we have and that 23 percent of all of them could be affected by these early environments.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
We should all fight for marriage equality, but sometimes it seems like the sole distinguishing feature between the American "left" party and the right-wing party. What ever happened to economics and foreign policy? We can obviously fight for economic justice and equality (they're not mutually exclusive and are in fact complimentary), but I kind of feel like the economic argument has just disappeared entirely.

Edit: I'm not asking gay rights advocates to "wait" or anything; I firmly believe they should fight here and now and that justice delayed is justice denied.

OwlBot 2000 fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 22, 2013

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
Heh, I'm such a Something Awful Forums User GOON :boonie:

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

The Rokstar posted:

There's absolutely no way that's the real Selaty Jr. you guys, come on.

mainly because the real Selaty Jr. doesn't exist :smug:
In all seriousness, what would be the motivation to make up a son as a programmer alter-ego? "I'm just a simple old country man and don't deal with no technology, "my son" does that for me."

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

zylche posted:

What would be the motivation of a man to change his surname from Chene to Selaty? :iiam:
Now where's the birth certificate Tim Jr?

Hrmm.. Selaty is an anagram of "Tea Sly", which could mean it's Sylvester Stallone doing Tea Party organizing under the radar. It's almost an acronym for LA Style, but it's unclear what the relationship is between the rave music group and conservative politics. This runs deep, very deep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

escape artist posted:

Satanists are basically "libertarians who adopted the term 'Satanist' because it got them notoriety"

I think that's backwards. It's rather that people who wanted to be Satanists chose extreme libertarianism as their ideology because it's a complete inversion of everything Jesus taught. "Why reinvent the wheel? Someone else already invented and developed Satanism and just didn't realize it."

Edit: "I give people Ayn Rand with trappings"
"[Satanism is] just Ayn Rand's philosophy, with ceremony and ritual added"
- Anton LaVey, founder of the Church of Satan

OwlBot 2000 fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Mar 24, 2013

• Locked thread