Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
Chapter 48: Start Together

Guys, this is it. We've got our jewels, and we're ready to go to the Star Tower and end this. Before we do just that, however, there's a couple of things I want to do.

First off, I killed an Ice Mongrel! By the way, even this late in the game only Hiro's Poe Sword does any real damage to them. At least you're faster now, so you've got a chance to get them before they run. Also, I'm pretty sure you get Advantages the higher in level you are compared to the enemy, so that helps to bag one. Grinding on them is quite feasible at this point, but at this point I don't know why you'd bother.

And there's one last goodbye.

Oh, wait, Gwyn doesn't actually have anything interesting to say. Lame!

: It's almost time for you to go, Hiro. I'll be lonely when you leave, but Lucia is lonely all the time. You belong together.

Aw :unsmith: All right then, to the Star Dragon Tower.

Fun fact! In the original game, the Blue Spire theme played here (and it played here earlier in the game.) Working Designs thought that it was kind of lame for the last dungeon in the game to reuse the Blue Spire theme, so they made a whole new song for this dungeon. It's also used in the remake.

Oh hey, the zombie people are still here.

: In this world there are many things that are a mystery. This tower is foremost of those. It's been here for centuries. Some say it is a way to travel to the Blue Star. Is that possible?

Only one way to find out!

: We're some team, huh?

: Welcome, my intrepid adventurers! Have you come

Oh, who am I kidding? We all know who this is.

: Welcome, my intrepid adventurers! Have you come looking for the way? Ah, yes! The way to the Blue Star is sealed within this tower. Try to find it if you think you have the power, but warned: only the strongest will survive the trial you face. Come to me, if you dare to test fate!
: ...
: Uh, Hiro... are you sure this is a good idea? I mean, maybe you can get a pen pal instead...
: Ruby!
: Just checking...

So, here's the thing about the Star Tower.

It's a really, really simple dungeon.

Seriously, it's so simple. All the floors are super small, no branching paths, no puzzles, no mazes, no treasure, nothing. Just a straight shot to the top.

They make up for that, however, by jacking up the encounter rate and having all the encounters have a ton of enemies.

Honestly, you might as well go all out. It really doesn't matter, and this dungeon is still quite short even with the jacked up encounter rate.

Before you move onto the seventh floor, however, you might want to make sure Hiro is all healed up. And has plenty of Silverlights. And maybe an Angel Ring equipped. Or a Dimension Ring/Blue Dragon Crest. Or a Heal Ring. And you make sure to save.

...you know, just to be careful.

: Are you the one seeking the Blue Star? The one impudent enough to test his mettle against my superior power?
: Who... who are you? Show yourself!
: Ha ha ha! Cool your temper, tiny. You will be shown the face of your tormentor soon enough. For now, all you need know is that I am the Star Dragon.
: ...

Yeah, you're right Hiro. I probably should change his portrait that we know his real identity.

: This tower is the only link between the Blue Star and this world. There are yet many years left to pass before the Blue Star can awaken again. Until that time, I will let no one use this tower to travel there. Do you understand?

I really don't know why the insist on giving us an option if it's a yes/yes option. In any case I choose the first option because it sounds better.

: What could she possible need from a human?
: She's alone. Alone on a world I know nothing about. I know that if I were there, I could find a way to help her revive the Blue Star! And then, some day in the future, our two worlds will come together again! But to make any of this a reality, I have to go there and find Lucia! Sir, you must let me pass!
: Then show me the strength of your resolve, young human! We fight for passage!

I see you've missed me.

So, yeah, solo battle time. While the Star Sentry is easier than his earlier form at the Sunken Tower, he's no pushover. He's got 7600 HP, which is a tall order for a solo battle. At least we've got something that helps immensely.

When used as an item, Althena's Sword casts Purity Litany, which always heals for 255 HP. You'll pretty much need to do this about every other turn or so. For a solo battle, the Star Sentry does decent damage.

His normal attack is the least threatening. He'll usually alternate between this and doing a special attack.

When he's holding sword like that he's going to use the Mile High Attack, which is what he started the battle with. It'll usually do a little under 200.

Like in the previous battle, if he's crouching like this, he's gonna use Aura Blast. It'll do about the same amount, maybe a little more.

Oh, and he still does the sword twirly thing, and it does the same thing as it does in the previous fight: you can't hit him while he's doing it, and then he'll use Snake Attack. Fortunately, in this fight he's a lot slower, and if you're at a decent level, you'll always go first.

Honestly, this ends up being a pretty tedious, drawn-out battle. Normally you pretty much Poe Sword, Heal, Poe Sword, Heal and so on until you win.

I decided to see if Blue Dragon Vigor would speed up the battle any.

Eh, it's okay. Without any sort of power buffing spell or Pressure Cooker, Hiro's damage output is just slightly better than Jean's. With the Dimension Ring on you'll do between two thousand to three thousand per Blue Dragon Vigor, depending on how lucky you are. Which isn't bad by any means, three thousand is almost half this boss's HP, but it's not really curb stomping the boss.

Still, we've got this fight down, right?

Whenever his eyes are flashing he'll use Slaughter Slice, like in the previous fight.

And like the previous fight, he'll always follow it up with Mile High Attack.

Oops. Yeah, you have to be at full HP to survive that. Retry!

This time I put on the Angel Ring instead of the Dimension Ring. I kept the Blue Dragon Crest because I still wanted to use Blue Dragon Vigor. Honestly, if you know what you're doing you don't really need the Angel Ring, and I could kept the Dimension Ring and had more powerful Blue Dragon Vigors. Ah well.

Oh, and this is what you get if you choose "You must let me pass" instead of "but I must get to Lucia!"

: Why do you think you can help her, human? She needs no help reviving the Blue Star. It is her assigned task.
: But that is why I must go. Her task is my task. We are as one... but, I guess you wouldn't understand that... Suffice to say that I must go to her. Working together, I'm sure we will revive the Blue Star, and some day, maybe our two worlds will finally be united again.

Anyway, fight time! I've mostly covered this boss, but a few more notes.

Sometimes, when he attacks you, he'll only do one damage. He did that a lot this time around.

Oh, and this is how much HP Hiro has left after a Slaughter Slice + Mile High Club. And yes, he had full HP at the beginning of the round. It's pretty important to keep up with the healing.

Honestly, though, as long as you make sure you're always above 200 or so HP, and always heal up to full when his eyes are flashing, you'll be okay in this fight. His first Blue Dragon Vigor did 2100 damage, and second one is the same amount. Which adds up to over four thousand damage. That's decent, although that's still just a little over half his HP, and after two castings, Hiro was out of MP for Blue Dragon Vigor.

I could have healed his MP, but honestly I was hoping that a couple of Poe Swords would end the battle. I thought I was closer than I actually was, honestly. Oh well. Still, I was really in no danger.

: The strength of your resolve is admirable, young human. I hope that it is enough to overcome the cold, bleak landscape of the Blue Star. This is but the first step on a long road you have yet to travel. Find the hope that lies buried among the stars, young human. Go now! The way is open you. I will wait here, believing that you have the power to make dreams a reality...

The way is open to us now. There is but one thing we have to do.

Leave!

All right, let's head back to-

Uh, game, I think you might be overselling these Sand Sharks.

So if you warp out of the tower right after fighting the Star Sentry, for whatever reason you get the boss theme instead of the regular battle theme. It's just for one battle, sadly.

Anyway, let's reload and stop loving around.

: The way to the Blue Star is before us! ...I... guess this is where we have to say good-bye, isn't it?

Indeed, it is.

: Boy Hiro, I never thought you'd actually find a way to get back to Lucia! But here we are! You know, you're one in a million! When you come back, you and Lucia just simply have to join the magic guild! Promise me, okay?

: Hiro, there really is nothing left for me to say, except that I hope you find happiness where live leads you. Stay true to your heart! Our paths may cross again. I look forward to that time.

: I'm gonna miss you Hiro. You're one of a kind! Say hi to Lucia for me, okay? I miss her so much. In fact, I've got a new dance step she just has to see! You two have got to see me perform it some time.

: Well chief, I guess I'm saying goodbye again. I hope you find your little snugglebunny. God knows I found mine. Enough about me; this is your moment. Go get her tiger!

: Oh Hiro! I wish you didn't have to leave! The legends say that the Blue Star is a dangerous place. Please be careful. I want you back here just as soon as you find Lucia, okay? You've got to come back! I'd be lost without you. You know that.

I guess it's kind of hard to accept that this really is goodbye forever.

: And tell Lucia that I... said she better take good care of you... or... or else I'll... Oh Hiro... good-bye!
: Oh Ruby! I know I'm going to miss you most of all! Know that if there is a way to come back to see you, I'll find it! Take care of yourself!

: I sure hope this gizmo gets you where you're goin'! If not, this is gonna be the most expensive gamble of your short career! ...but hey! I know it's gonna work, so don't worry. Besides, you've got someone pullin' for you upstairs, I just know it. We'd better cut the gab, Lucia's waiting. Go get her, tiger!
: Uh... thanks Ronfar.

: I mean... I could go with... wait, what am I saying? This is probably something you want to do by yourself. Well, good luck, godspeed, and remember... if you get in trouble, you can always dance your way out like I taught you!
: He he... thanks, Jean.

: One day, we will get back to the true teachings of Althena. And when that day dawns, lasting peace will finally be ours. I hope you come back to see it...
: I will Leo. I promise.

: But I know you have to follow your heart and your dream. I hope Lucia knows what a find she has in you. You're worth your weight in silver! Take care, Hiro.
: Oh Lemina... thanks. That means a lot to me.

And... that's it. It's time to take the plunge.

So Hiro walks up to the crystal and...

You know what? This won't do. If I attempt to transcribe this next scene it just won't work. So I can only urge you to watch it instead. It's worth it.

No, seriously, go do it. I'll wait.

We ready? Good.

After that heart-warming scene, we go into credits one more time. There's no point in going over my thoughts about this game again (it's awesome) so I'd like to thank a few people. Thank you Jenner and Lunar-net for the music, and for all Jenner's effort posts. Also Prism, for gameplay info. It's hard to get a lot of information about this game because it's so old and has such a small fanbase, so any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks to all of you who posted in the thread. And thank you, for reading this! I hope you enjoyed it, and that this either helped you revisit an old favorite, or an interesting look into the older version of Lunar Eternal Blue.

Good bye!

Actually, I totally lied. There's one more thing.

If you keep the game going past the credits, eventually these outtakes will pop up! (Undoubtedly scaring the piss out of you.) Lunar: The Silver Star actually had one outtake at the end; at the very end, Luna's voice actress will go, "oops, too long!" (And yes, this is an outtake; it doesn't matter how long you took to beat the game.) Working Designs first put an outtake reel into Cosmic Fantasy 2, and during Popful Mail they started to save their outtakes.

All right, now we're finally done. Again, thank you all for reading!

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

And to nip this in the bud: I will not LP Lunar: Dragon Song.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Thanks for showing a great run, Camel Pimp. And I always get a little misty eyed at the ending, especially the song. Have to say this was a great amount of fun and an amazing look at the original version of a game that I love. It's been fascinating seeing the differences and similarities, and how they refined the remake. Thank you. That's all I can really say.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Camel Pimp posted:

I don't know why anyone would ask; you can't LP a game that doesn't exist. :colbert:

Thanks for seeing this all the way through; I'd never played the original though I knew plenty of people who had, and I played the remake. It's interesting to see what they changed, and what I got a wrong idea of to begin with.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I think it would've been a little better if there was no way up there, and everybody pulled together & built a giant Magic Arrow for Hiro.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Camel Pimp posted:

You know what? This won't do. If I attempt to transcribe this next scene it just won't work. So I can only urge you to watch it instead. It's worth it.

You all really should watch this, it still makes me tear up...
The feels.

Camel Pimp posted:

Thanks Jenner and Lunar-Net.

No, thank you. :hfive:

Camel Pimp posted:

NOBODY is LPing Dragon Song. I will report them for their own good. :colbert:

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Jenner posted:

NOBODY is LPing Dragon Song. I will report them for their own good. :colbert:

I'm horribly loving tempted to see how bad it is now. I hate you.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Galick posted:

I'm horribly loving tempted to see how bad it is now. I hate you.

It's really bad. Really, really bad.

Camel Pimp: An excellent LP! Eternal Blue was always one of my favourites, and it's good to see it get the treatment it deserves. Hopefully my butting in with trivia wasn't too much of a bother when I was doing it.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Thanks yous all :3:

Prism posted:

Camel Pimp: An excellent LP! Eternal Blue was always one of my favourites, and it's good to see it get the treatment it deserves. Hopefully my butting in with trivia wasn't too much of a bother when I was doing it.

Nah, I love trivia!

Oh, and I made a silly thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_YQaEX8mKg

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
Coming from a lurker, thank you very much for LPing this. I remember playing Lunar 2 for the PSX and it was interesting seeing the differences between that and this.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I really like how Bandit Butt did a little cheer after each attack. A shame he was shoehorned in that many fights.
Going to miss cross-eyed Ruby.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Casull posted:

Coming from a lurker, thank you very much for LPing this. I remember playing Lunar 2 for the PSX and it was interesting seeing the differences between that and this.

I actually stopped reading the psx LP so I can start playing the game on my own. It'll be interesting to see the differences between the older sega cd verion and mine.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Really this makes me wonder how life actually is on the Blue Star. I mean, I know it's an arctic wasteland and all, but usually that means less things alive to mess with you.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Glazius posted:

Really this makes me wonder how life actually is on the Blue Star. I mean, I know it's an arctic wasteland and all, but usually that means less things alive to mess with you.

Well, I think "most powerful swordsman in the world ever" and "pretty much God" are going to do fine no matter what kind of stuff is there :v:

And if you're talking about people later, well, the entire point is getting the Blue Star able to hold life and such. So warmer among other things.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
Thanks for the LP, the two Lunar games were one of my favorite games growing up and was happy to see them again with these LPs.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Are these the same outtakes as the remake?

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Scalding Coffee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDBXUzNkB0Q Spoilers, obviously.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Scalding Coffee posted:

To answer anyone who didn't click either video; yes and no. They reused all of the original outtakes in the remake, with the exception of Hiro's (because he has a different voice actor) and Luna's one outtake (same reason). They added a lot more to it in the remake; the outtake reel in the original is only five minutes long, and in the remake it's over twenty minutes.

Elric
Mar 31, 2011

I loved the strategy guide for this game. It was hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Honestly, since this LP's now been archived, it's prolly time to close this thread. It's been fun you all!

• Locked thread