Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

This is a thread for discussing D&D Next. It is a game. Some people think it is a fun game, others do not believe this is the case. This is the thread for discussing the game. Try to do so in a constructive manner. Or don't. You may also discuss bourbon and meat in this thread, or other things which may be relevant to my interests.

If you would like to know more about D&D Next, I suggest you find something out about it for yourself. Doing your own reading is always better than trusting some dolt on the internet. Don't be that guy. Be your own dolt. You can probably get a copy of the playtest packet here. Or don't, I don't care. I hope you enjoy discussing D&D Next in this thread for D&D Next discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dekar
Feb 17, 2011

Winson_Paine posted:

You may also discuss bourbon and meat in this thread, or other things which may be relevant to my interests.

If I like meat, will I like D&D Next? This is an important question.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I think Blanton's is really good.

It tastes really smooth but still has good bite and it has an excellent after-taste. Really leaves you wanting more.

It also has a pony on the cork, so you know it's good. Because that's how things work. Obviously.

O, and I don't think that D&D Next looks like a very good game.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
I am having great difficulty pan-frying a steak to a good, solid rare. Does anyone have any tips?

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Gau posted:

I am having great difficulty pan-frying a steak to a good, solid rare. Does anyone have any tips?

Cast iron is the cure for what ails you, my friend.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Gau posted:

A heavy cast iron skillet and a good broiler will help you immensely in this. Using butter or oil will aid in the browning as well. It is known that the new barbarian class uses this, and I kind of like it. The fighter expertise dice were sort of complicated and confused me. The barbarian runs at things, and hits things. I can respect that. That is what I want out of a class.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
The Barbarian uses butter, oil and a cast-iron skillet? Fancy that.

I am a filthy college student, so I enjoy Wild Turkey 101, ginger ale, and the way being bourbon drunk sneaks up on you. Also just made Canton Style Barbeque Pork tonight and it owned; next time I'll let it marinate overnight like it's supposed to so it can own harder.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Gau posted:

Ignore everyone else. Use any pan that's oven safe and isn't non-stick. Stick it in the oven at 500 degrees for about fifteen to twenty minutes. Take it out and put it on the burner on high. Salt the top of the steak and flip it onto the pan for two minutes. Salt the top and flip it over. After a minute, put if back in the overn for another two minutes. Take it out, put it on a plate, rest it for five minutes, and eat it.

Then go roll up a barbarian and play 4th.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
So some friends and I have a standing argument over whether or not a whiskey sour counts as a fruity girl drink girl. I maintain that as long as you use sugar and lemon juice as opposed to generic store-brand sour mix it's perfectly acceptable. Thoughts?

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Froghammer posted:

So some friends and I have a standing argument over whether or not a whiskey sour counts as a fruity girl drink girl. I maintain that as long as you use sugar and lemon juice as opposed to generic store-brand sour mix it's perfectly acceptable. Thoughts?

The idea that an alcoholic beverage could be gendered is ridiculous. I myself endorse very few things, but recommend Snake Juice. It is delicious. That said, mixer from a store or sugar and lemon juice accomplish the same thing. They waste your whiskey, and they waste your time. Don't do either of those.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Gau posted:

Ignore everyone else. Use any pan that's oven safe and isn't non-stick. Stick it in the oven at 500 degrees for about fifteen to twenty minutes. Take it out and put it on the burner on high. Salt the top of the steak and flip it onto the pan for two minutes. Salt the top and flip it over. After a minute, put if back in the overn for another two minutes. Take it out, put it on a plate, rest it for five minutes, and eat it.
This, but for rare you probably only want to cook it 30 seconds on each side before putting it into the oven.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

My wife has recently adopted mafism, or eating only non-mammal meat. This means that I, by extension, have as well. I've been eating the gently caress out of fish and poultry lately, and it's pushing me to enjoy new dishes that I haven't though of before. I'm not saying that turkey bacon, chicken sausage, sushi, or bean-based sandwich patties are for everyone. I've found lots of meat and near-meat experiences outside of everyday hamburgers, steaks, and corndogs.

Druids are allowed to eat and wear and wield their friends and that's bullshit. D&D Next should impose mafism as a pre-requisite to any druid who can wildshape or communicate with animals in any way. Druids should also be prohibited from using wooden objects, unless explicitly crafted from deadfall or driftwood. Any violation should result in the Druid failing as per Paladin failings. Leather must likewise be prohibited, unless specifically cut from the flesh of an Aberration or Outsider with no connection to nature.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
I feel like there is a nice range of bourbons. When I'm mixing things or making hot toddies Jim Beam is fine. When I am wanting something mid-range to drink with friends, Buffalo Trace is pretty good.

When I'm willing to spend a little more, Bulleit and Knob Creek are my favorites, but I am always up for trying more bourbons.

The steak advice so far is good, but I recommend waiting a few minutes after your oven claims it's at 500 degrees unless you have an oven thermometer. My oven beeps for 500 while barely over 400 degrees. If you go by that, the pan won't get as hot and give you the awesome crust you want.

I think wizards are probably the best at cooking steaks out of the core classes. Eventual access to hellfire and lots of skill points for profession (chef).

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Anything you add to whiskey outside of ice cubes is a travesty.

I like the lofty, applies-to-everything ideals of next, but as it gets play tested, it becomes restricted. That said, I've read through the playtest package, but most of my information on Next comes from months old podcasts. I think expertise dice is a cool idea, and the stuff you can do with them is versatile. Is that a fighter only gimmick?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
The issue with expertise dice is the same issue there's been with maneuvers in every edition other than 4th - when your choice is between "Do X" and "Do more damage", "Do X" is never the right tactical choice.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

IIRC, you could save on expertise die for a parry (roll = bonus to AC) and save the rest for damage, rather than using it for all or nothing

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

fatherdog posted:

The issue with expertise dice is the same issue there's been with maneuvers in every edition other than 4th - when your choice is between "Do X" and "Do more damage", "Do X" is never the right tactical choice.

Unless you're a wizard: "Do more damage" is never the right tactical choice when your X is "end the encounter".

Both sides of this axiom are still true in 4e to certain extents: if you are a Striker, "Do more damage" is always the right decision. Unless you're a Warlock, then "Do X" is better than your damage until Paragon. Or you have something like the Rogue's Knockout.

Wizards have really crazy good Dailies if you come from a Caster Edition mindset (old Sleep, Charm of the Dark Court, Phantom Chasm/Visions of Avarice/Twist of Space, Summon Succubus, etc) and your "Do X" At-Wills (Hypnotism, Winged Horde, Beguiling Strands) are generally better than your "Do more damage" At-Wills (Witch Bolt, Arc Lightning, et.al.)

e: Goons With Spoons has a loving amazing pulled pork recipe that everyone with a slow cooker and some time to kill should make at least once. Go Advanced and use molasses instead of cornstarch.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

A D&D Next article about lycanthropy posted:

Medium (varies in animal form) Monstrosity
Alignment:
Werebear—chaotic good
Wereboar—neutral
Wererat—lawful evil
Wereshark—chaotic evil
Weretiger—neutral
Werewolf—chaotic evil

Those Old School players may recognize another way that D&D Next has failed to capture the true flavor of D&D. Any games can have a variety of were-creatures - what preserved the feel of D&D was the most important shape-changer that ever graced the pages of the game.

Wereboars aren't the same, WOTC!

Where are my "powerful and evil" devil swine? They are the only antagonists worthy enough to face Winnie the Bear.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib
For a long time, I thought I hated whiskey.

Then I learned I just hate bourbon, as all people with working palates do.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

I recognized Winnie, Tigger and Piglet right away, but Roo took me a while because a wolf goes A-Rooooooo.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

palecur posted:

For a long time, I thought I hated whiskey.

Then I learned I just hate bourbon, as all people with working palates do.

Find a bottle of this and learn how wrong you are. Be prepared to write an apology to bourbon.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Lord Frisk posted:

Anything you add to whiskey outside of ice cubes is a travesty.

I like the lofty, applies-to-everything ideals of next, but as it gets play tested, it becomes restricted. That said, I've read through the playtest package, but most of my information on Next comes from months old podcasts. I think expertise dice is a cool idea, and the stuff you can do with them is versatile. Is that a fighter only gimmick?

Lord Frisk posted:

IIRC, you could save on expertise die for a parry (roll = bonus to AC) and save the rest for damage, rather than using it for all or nothing

Both of this is I believe fairly old info. Expertise dice is last I checked no longer a fighter only thing. Instead they just get more things they can do with expertise die, which, as was already mentioned, won't matter if "do damage" is still better the those things.

Parry is the "fighter only" mechanic, as their expertise dice regenerates every turn, not round, if I recall.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

So what's the state-of-the-art with bad D&D Next design decisions?

And also, I've got this bottle of black rum. I like it- it's like rum-flavored rum- but it's a little strong. What's a good cocktail that uses black rum?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Ratoslov posted:

I seem to recall Mearls basically saying Wardens didn't warrant their own class and that the "primal defender" would/could just be a Barbarian variant. Does that count?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Lord Frisk posted:

Actually, "you regain your spent martial damage dice at the start of each turn, whether it's your turn or someone else's". ...though this rules text appears only in the barbarian description for martial damage dice, not any of the other classes', but the barbarian was the most recently released class.

So I suppose you argue with the GM about it?

Anyway.

Have we heard anything about Paragon Paths, besides that they'll all need some in-game justification for you to take? It half-seems like they're supposed to be a large part of how your character advances beyond 10, since that's when feats and maneuvers/fighting styles die out, and the spellcasting classes stop getting new spell slots, save for one of each spell level beyond 5th.

But the Barbarian and Monk are still racking up their special abilities beyond then, so who knows.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

P.d0t posted:

I seem to recall Mearls basically saying Wardens didn't warrant their own class and that the "primal defender" would/could just be a Barbarian variant. Does that count?

That's pretty bad! There's always a lumper/splitter argument to have when you're making a class-based system like this, but... well, whatever.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Actually the most recent Next news was Mearls on twitter mentioning healers an using all 3e healers, and stating that warlord would not heal and likely would be a fighter "theme."

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Actually the most recent Next news was Mearls on twitter mentioning healers an using all 3e healers, and stating that warlord would not heal and likely would be a fighter "theme."

I believe that he also said that they're removing your ability to spend Hit Dice to heal, which gets rid of the last vestige of martial healing.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I am a big fan of Old Grand Dad, George Dickel and teriyaki steak strips made on a grill.

So far I am also a fan of D&D Next but not a fan of the name.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Have they said why they're going back to martial competency = roll more dice?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Darwinism posted:

Have they said why they're going back to martial competency = roll more dice?

Fighters don't get to be interesting.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.

Ratoslov posted:

That's right- we're going back to the good old days of fighters with twice the HP as wizards taking twice as long to recover.

Speaking of healing, Mearls also gave us this gem just recently:

Yep, no one has ever had any real issues with clerics being solely responsible for healing in D&D. No sir.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Elmo Oxygen posted:

Yep, no one has ever had any real issues with clerics being solely responsible for healing in D&D. No sir.
With D&D Next's modular design you can make the game YOU want (as long as it's the same as the game I want).

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I can't believe, I say I CAN'T believe, how goddamn lazy the entire team is. gently caress.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DnD Next is a lot like making an Old Kentucky Shark whiskey, You mix Old Grandad, Landshark Beer, and Gummy candies to create an unpalatable mess that nobody likes even if they like the individual ingredients.

Martial healing is like Wild Turkey American Honey, delcious and smooth with a sweet flavor that mixes well into citrus teas. It lets you do more as a group be letting your tastebuds focus on bolder flavors or allow you to simply sip alone if the encounter calls for the fighter to hang out by himself.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Is there some reason why they don't just re-release AD&D and can call it a day? They could call it, "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 5e Next."

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Mendrian posted:

Is there some reason why they don't just re-release AD&D and can call it a day? They could call it, "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 5e Next."

Because that would involve NOT spending several years and a bunch of money to develop a system that won't appease anyone :v:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

They actually just re-released AD&D and 3.5+ (with errata and updates) in print as well as a lot of other editions in PDF. I can't speak to the PDF, but my local experience is that people's money is absolutely nowhere near their mouth when out comes to supporting their "best favorite edition ever" (that they already own).

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Anything I could have to say on the matter of 5E has been said exhaustively by other people here and elsewhere. So far nothing they've put out appeals to me in any fashion more than games I already own, some of which are called D&D and some of which aren't. They still have a year to conjure up something interesting but at this rate it isn't looking tremendously likely.

So instead I'll ask about hamburgers. I don't have a grill or anything, just some skillets (one cast iron, one not) and an electric stove, but I love me some hamburgers. The problem I have is that my efforts at cooking hamburgers always wind up being kind of lousy. Either they end up overcooking and turning dry and tough or they end up cooking too quickly on the outsides and getting burnt and blackened.

How do you guys cook hamburgers on a stove? Do you prep the meat in any special way? Temperature settings, cook times, I'm all ears. Hit me with your best stovetop hamburger techniques please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I used to mix a half can of beer, some seasoning, and diced onions in with the meat before forming patties. That will keep them from setting out.

Start off at a medium-high setting, flipping frequently, until brown, then turn it down to a lower heat and cook until the middle is how you'd like it. You won't need to flip as frequently at three lower temp, and you can cover it now if you'd like.

• Locked thread