Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Elmo Oxygen posted:

Yep, no one has ever had any real issues with clerics being solely responsible for healing in D&D. No sir.
With D&D Next's modular design you can make the game YOU want (as long as it's the same as the game I want).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'm a grill man myself for hamburgers. Egg, breadcrumbs, beef/chicken/pork/turkey(depending on what I feel like), herbs to complement the meat choice. Mix em up the day before, stick them in the fridge overnight, pop them in a preheated grill and flip them every 5 minutes until they're done. You know they're done by breaking open a Sacrificial Burger, looking at the inside, saying "looks fine to me", and then eating the Sacrificial Burger in bits as you bun up the rest.

If you don't have a grill an oven will do but it won't taste quite the same.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Winson_Paine posted:

I think it is because rolling more dice is fun. Like, that is the actual reason. Having a lot of dice to throw around is a visceral appeal, and having a little pile of dice you can spend is fun as a whole mess of indie games have shown. I am pretty sure at the heart of things that really is the deal.
It's true, throwing lots of dice around is a lot of fun. It should be noted that using some of a Fighter's special abilities result in rolling less dice.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Winson_Paine posted:

Well, gently caress those special abilities. I think one of the reasons I like the new Cortex+ Marvel game is generating whacky dice pools for every roll.
Play WFRP3 and/or Danger Patrol. In both of these the player and GM response to pretty much everything is "roll some more dice".

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Majuju posted:

Gau: there was a Danger Patrol game but it only ran for like two pages before it was abandoned :( I miss my GHOST DETECTIVE.
Link? I'd like to see how you handled DANGER DICE in a PbP format.

Actually, give it to me in the chat thread to keep the hamburger and bourbon thread from getting too derailed.

VVV Splatbooks for next? What? VVV

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Your post just went form :stare: to :golfclap:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
So you're saying that you prefer them making pie-in-the-sky claims that bear little to no relation to the actual game rules over having a clear design goal which they then successfully work towards?

e: To be a little clearer: Everything you described about roles, "correct" class combinations was true of 3.X and Pathfinder if not more so, they just pretended otherwise. You seem to be saying you dislike transparency in what works and does not and like a lack of mechanical support for the game's stated design goals, which is weird to me.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 2, 2013

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

petrol blue posted:

I'd really disagree with 4e not taking things from MMOs - the idea of the tank that punishes the target for hitting anyone else, abilities being on a cooldown.
Actually, 3.X was the ability cooldown system, with all those once-per-day mechanics, spell durations in minutes/hours etc. (e: Barbarian rages lasted a number of rounds based on your constitution!) 4E was a departure from this in that the majority of your actions are based on a more narrativey mechanic of "once per encounter". Also, somebody did a post up where it's pointed out that various marking mechanics have been spread throughout D&D since the AD&D Kender writeup. There's very little new in 4E, it's just all presented in an actually intelligible manner and with (most of) the obfuscating bullshit stripped out. (Ability Scores why do you still exist! :arg:)

Now, you want awful, try playing constructing a Halfling Paladin in 3.X.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 2, 2013

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ProfessorCirno posted:

The grand irony is that, by and large, 4e fans aren't buying it. But the crowd that hates 4e is. They've managed to piss up the group they were trying to set up as their supporters while failing to win over the group they were vaguely trying to trick in.
By "Buying it" do you mean "purchasing" or do you mean "believing the "it's like 4E!" bullshit"?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kai Tave posted:

angry fair-weather fans
The problem isn't fair weather fans. The problem is fans who look at a nice, sunny day and start complaining that the sun is too bright, what's this blue bullshit why can't it be a nice, normal pink colour like Gary envisaged it, frostbite builds character, and the weatherman is a secret reptilian.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ImpactVector posted:

Warhammer Fantasy and Star Wars both ditch the grid, but keep an abstracted positional system that seems kinda similar to what I remember from my brief glance at 13A, where the distance between combatants is measured in the number of movement actions between them. But between WHFRP's card focus and both system's gimmick dice that generate story/situation twists on the fly I'm extremely intrigued. After I wrap up my Dungeon World campaign in a few weeks I'll likely run the Star Wars beginner's set for my group.
It's surprisingly easy to grid-up WFRP3. I really like the abstract system but if the lack of a grid is scaring anyone off there's quite a few grid-ey variations. The one closest to the abstract is the Big Grid:
    1 square = 1 engagement
    Adjacent square = Close
    One or Two squares away = Medium
    Three to Five squares away = Long
    Everything else = Extreme
    Flanking: Standard game rules say that if your team is the biggest team in the engagement you get white dice.
    Cover: Just chuck some black dice at it.
    AOE spells: Pretty much all AoE spells are "engagement", so there you go.
For D&D-size squares there's a few houserules out there, best to go searching and pick one you and your players like. An easy one is to just to use the above but get all fancy when it comes to a particular engagement's positioning (flanking gets you white dice etc).

Also, last night I made delicious chips*. I peeled and thick-cut my potatoes, then I fried a couple of thick-cut rashers, some garlic, and one of the mystery death chillis** in a small pot a bit more than a chips-depth of oil. After about five minutes I scooped out the chilli, garlic, and half the rashers, and threw in half the chips. After another 5 minutes I took out the chips and rashers, put the chips in a colander, and put in the rest of the bacon and chips. After another 5 minutes I took out everything, colandered the remaining chips, and put them all into the oven for a few minutes while the chicken breast they were being served with finished cooking. The rashes were diced and put in the fridge for a later recipe eaten while the chips were finishing because I'm a lardass :(
*Fries to you American heathens.
**I don't know what they are, I found them unlabelled in my corner shop and they are murderously hot. They're possibly some form of scotch bonnet.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Mar 4, 2013

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AlphaDog posted:

Also, the bees will help defend the brewery, because any decent sort of apocalypse will turn them into giant intelligent bees who are my friends.
You're thinking way too small

I made two what is wrong with me

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Mar 4, 2013

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lord Frisk posted:

So what characteristic would need to be retained for TG to consider it D&D?
Levels.
Classes.
Treasure.
The words "D&D" on the front.
e:Also, Crunchy Combat.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 4, 2013

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

TalonDemonKing posted:

So whats TGs opinion on Glennfiddtch?
It's time for another round of System, Setting, or Spirit!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mendrian posted:

My basic opinion is that if you want to become a billionaire writing RPGs, you need to pump out a lot of very innovative products very quickly. You need to become the RPG equivalent of Stephen King.
How to become a billionaire writing RPGs:
Step 1) Buy a lottery ticket with some of your RPG earnings.
Step 2) Spend your remaining two dollars on some chicken wings, maybe a coke (Optional step, only recommended for those in the 90th percentile of RPG-based earnings or higher)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Spoilers Below posted:

I think part of the problem is that TTRPGs can't really be done in isolation, and there's a pretty large curve for GMing well. I can buy a console and a bunch of games and enjoy myself without every having spoken to another person about it. I can buy some needles, yarn, and an instruction booklet and I'm pretty much good to go. And it's also unlike the problem that TCGs have with bad players: you spend 15-30 minutes playing the guy, then it's over and you play someone else. The jackass at your D&D table doesn't have this sort of built in removal mechanic.

Not so with any TTRPG. You need at least one more person, preferably 3-4 more, willing to commit to a mutually agreed upon system and schedule for at least a few months. Not impossible by any means, as most of us have found, but certainly more difficult than doing something by yourself when you have free time and are in the mood. Having a contingent of established folks who actively hostile towards new players can make a game rather difficult to set up. Those assholes in the back of the gaming store really can hurt the business and lower sales. The bar for entry is much, much lower for WoW or Diablo or any other game that costs less than your average gaming manual to start, or, indeed, most hobbies. If I don't like my knitting circle, I find a new group of friends to sit around a gab with while we knit, or I can do it alone while watching television or something.
I'm waiting for a decent 3D tabletop to exist, like that 3D boardgame posted a while back where you could see everyone's cursors and fight over cards and stuff. Attach a voice client, make the board a generic grid, add in some virtual pens to scribble with and a way to import pre-rendered 3D scenery objects, tie it all up with a way to save/load sessions and stick it on steam or something and you come close to being able to actually run "pick-up" RPG sessions. If organising a one-shot is as easy as organising a quick game of L4D2 then the hobby might actually get somewhere.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 5, 2013

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Rexides posted:

Augmented reality battlegrids. Just point your phone's camera on the grid and witness the amazing animated virtual miniature action taking place on your table.
This would be cool (e: and is something I've nattered about with friends) but I was talking about the exact opposite:

http://www.wolfire.com/desperate-gods

I found the game I was referencing. Give this a fiddle, imagine a blank grid with some snap-to scenery, the full range of die types, and a scribbly pen.

e: Make sure to join a game with someone for the full cursory effect!

Splicer fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 5, 2013

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AlphaDog posted:

3) Assuming that the D&D team managed to overcome the previous two points, which isn't impossible, can you imagine what the fan reaction would look like if D&D Next came with some software that you could use to play the game on the internet?
The game above has made me realise that what I want out of a virtual tabletop is an actual virtual tabletop. A 3D table covered in dice and figures that my friends and I can access from anywhere. I don't need built-in rule stuff, that's what the rulebooks are for, and not having anything like that hardcoded makes houseruling easier.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I like to put a lot of spices and things into my hamburgers so if I don't put something in to hold them together they tend to turn into a lot of little hamburgers.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

whydirt posted:

I don't inherently mind the fighter killing the warlord and taking its stuff
The Fighter is not killing the Warlord and taking his stuff, the Fighter is being handed the Warlord's mutilated corpse after the Bard and Cleric have burnt his stuff and pissed on the ashes.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Rexides posted:

Personally I don't mind if my Warlord's character sheet actually says "Fighter (warlord build)".
Me either, but from what they're saying the only way you'll actually be able to play like a Warlord is in the form "Bard 1/Cleric 1 WARLORD"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jimbozig posted:

Wait, wtf. When i take 10 damage and te cleric heals me, my guts are miraculously returning to my body?!

Stranger still, if I don't get that heal, I will continue to fight goblins at 2hp with LITERALLY my guts dragging on the floor?!
Mearls, are you serious?!
You're right. Clearly Fighters have too much HP.

Edit: Also, even the most grievous of injuries, including having your arm chopped off, can be healed with sufficient bed rest.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Asimo posted:

Crappy options leading to mechanical traps and broken combos are basically inevitable in a game full of discrete mechanical bits supported by a supplement treadmill
I've said this before, but the problem is that they're not discrete mechanical bits. Discrete mechanical bits would be like 4E's power system stripped of Ability Scores and feats. Sure you have powers that are better or worse than others, but if you just pick powers based on what names look cool you can still make a decent character.

The problem is the parts that interact. If the only difference between being an Elf Wizard and a Dwarf Wizard is that the Dwarf Wizard gets Second Wind instead of Teleport then you can be whatever you want. Sure you can probably come up with some power combo that exploits teleport rather than tunnel better but that's far from a mechanical trap. The problem comes in when being a Dwarf Wizard instead of an Elf Wizard has a direct impact on how other choices function, such as ability score bumps to key stats. Similarly if you can pile passive effect upon passive effect then you get effectively punished for playing a Teleport Wizard Dwarf because activating Second Wind doesn't trigger your eleven different "when you perform a teleport action" feats.

If mechanical bits were actually discrete, each being mutually exclusive or have limited activations, you could poo poo out as many options as you like with minimal character creation comboing possible, while also limiting the "damage" caused by taking a sub-optimal power. There'd obviously still be a power scale (Taking an encounter power that prones on a hit along with one that can be triggered out of turn when someone stands up from prone is obviously going to be better than taking one of them along with a generic "just do a fuckton of damage" power) but it would be much, much smaller.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Mar 7, 2013

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Bob Quixote posted:

I always thought of the increase in hit points between classes as a general indicator of toughness. Like, the wizard healing back to his full 4 HP while the fighter still has a few days to go to get back up to 10 doesn't mean that the wizard is bouncing around in the picture of health while the fighter is all hosed up, but more that the damage that the fighter suffered was more than enough to flatten two wizards put together and that only someone incredibly tough could hope to survive it.

EDIT

Plus since there aren't any wound penalties and only the last 1 HP matters as to whether or not you are dying its just a representation of the fighters greater durability and vitality, not that the wizard recovers from getting stabbed faster.
Fighters have more HP because they're supposed to lose a lot of HP. Making the Fighter recover HP at the same rate as the Wizard is like making the Wizard recover Spells at the same rate as the Fighter.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ProfessorCirno posted:

I feel that the fact that he directly quotes edition war rhetoric with his "you can't shout a hand back on!" in turn speaks volumes.
You can get back up to full health by sleeping, it just takes a while. If Warlord HP healing represents "shouting a hand back on" then that implies Fighters are perfectly capable of regenerating their own limbs, it just takes a while.

Kai Tave posted:

Also if you like things like pizza but find that the tomato sauce is too acidic, add just a little bit of milk to the sauce while prepping it. Not a bunch, just a little bit. It cuts the acidity right down and even gives it a bit of added richness.
If I'm using store-bought bolognese I always put some milk in the jar and swoosh it around to get whatever doesn't pour out on its own. I never really thought about it much, it was just a way to get the last of the sauce out, but if your post is accurate it explains why I never really liked bolognese until I started cooking for myself.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nessus posted:

"How can a Warlord give me a do over on a spell? Does he just shout at me so hard that I immediately remember the spell and conduct the exact scientifically rigorous action of that spell, expending the memorized slot (which he has also restored) including a total duplication of the spell components expended? That's a pretty major power to give some dumb sports coach." :smaug:
You're doing it wrong.

"How can being shouted at make a Fighter able to swing twice as fast? Oh please. Now let me tell you about Time Stop."

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ProfessorCirno posted:

Actually, here's the second catch: every negative prediction regarding 4e materials has been true so far. Boring fighters, vancian casting, divine only healing, no warlords, hell they even removed the warlock class!. We did wait. Why are you still waiting?
Denial's not just a river in Mulhorand.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AlphaDog posted:

Hmm... we do most of that stuff, which got use down from "at-level combat takes an hour" to "30-40 minutes". Maybe we just play slow.
The biggest thing I've found to cut down on time is dice first, math later. If you have +1 to-hit then it will not matter literally 95% of the time. So roll your die, add your fixed modifiers (and combat advantage), announce. If the GM say "A hit!" then that's a whole bunch of bullshit you didn't have to add up. If they say "A resounding miss!" then an extra +2 or 3 from various bullshit isn't going to matter. If they say "Eh... what else you got?", start mathsing. In any game I've played the people who just roll spend literally half the time per turn than the people who insist on totting up every bullshit modifier beforehand.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Have you played a healer in D&D4E? It's balls to the walls fun.

e: Oh hey a new page.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I think part of the problem with HP is that the on/off nature of it is asymmetrical across the encounter. Assuming you are fighting an equal number of enemies, Dungeoneering 101 says you focus fire on one until they're dead, rinse, repeat. On the Monster's side the dead monster almost always stays down, on the Hero side not only will a downed Hero usually be brought up again, but a Hero is much less likely to go down in the first place. Monsters are there to be killed, Heroes are there to be nearly killed.

The consequence of this is that if we pretend that each side consists of two, multi-headed, multi-action taking behemoths called Hero and Monster, Monster steadily loses effectiveness across the fight while Hero does not. So Monsters effectively have a sliding scale of HP -> effectiveness while Heroes are pretty much always at 100%.

Now, PC/NPC asymmetry is fine, and required in this case for the above reasons, but it needs to be taken into account when you're designing your system, otherwise the fight tends to hit foregone conclusion quite early. Which is, again, fine, assuming your system has some way to account for this other than "Well I suppose they give up or something."

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

eth0.n posted:

And as for making retreat difficult... well, good? I'd rather PC death happen because the others decided to leave a man behind to a pack of worgs, than because I as the DM decided to coup de grace, which was pretty much what it took in 4E, or just because of a random fluke of the dice.
Again this is fine, if your game accounts well for semi-regular involuntary character death,or there were alternatives other than "leave him to die". It wouldn't work in 3.x or 4E because a) making a new character takes ages, and b) there's limited ways to insert a new character into the game mid-dungeon. Let's say you're halfway through a three session dungeon and a guy gets dropped and everyone has to book it. If this is 4e/3.x char creation then your player has invested a LOT of effort into making this guy. He now has to come up with an entirely new character concept, in both the mechanical and backstory sense. Also, the player has nothing to do for the rest of the session. And no, these are not problems that solve each other automatically, because spending half a session of 4E/3.x making a new character while everyone else is off fighting goblins is not enjoyable player participation.

Then there's the fact that you're several hours' travel inside a vast sprawling underground metropolis. How exactly are you going to insert new characters into this? If characters only die every so often then it's not such a big deal; it's not unlikely that you might find an emaciated cleric tied up in goblintown, or a half-mad druid just chilling in the middle of gofuckyourself woods, or everyone just says "gently caress it let's head back to town and grab the first guy we see with a sword". If you have character death every session though then the constant parade of hero-level characters just arsing about in the middle of nowhere is going to get a bit silly,

Finally there's the more wishy-washy issue of game continuity. Both the 4E and 3.x systems put a heavy emphasis on individual characters, due to both the general tone and, possibly more importantly, the complexity of character generation. If you're spending almost as long making your character as you are playing him then you really stop getting invested in them. 4E and 3.x just aren't suited to "Oh did Snori and Gori say they were twins? Haha, we're actually triplets - Rori the Dwarf" style play and, in my experience, that kind of thing is actually looked down upon.

Basically, how big of a deal character death is has to be proportional to how much input the player has into its occurrence. If losing a character can be pretty drat arbitrary then integrating a new one has to be pretty drat easy. If you want a system where making a new character is a Big Deal then you have to limit character death to times when the player wants them dead (or has willingly and knowingly chosen a potential dead character option over a viable alternative). The sheer effort and complexity involved in making a viable 3.x/4E character means that having people die because a fight went a bit south early on is not really an option.

Now, having to retreat so you can rescue them later, or being on <0 health during a retreat means you need serious healing to get back up again, that's different (again assuming the player has some way to participate).

e: There's very few "can't"s in game design, they're almost all "yes but"s, but if you don't account for the buts then (poop metaphor).

Splicer fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 10, 2013

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Payndz posted:

Best thing to do is come up with a god of some really random thing, whether from real-world mythology or made up. I'm partial to Terminus, god of boundary markers ("I smite thee in the name of accurate surveying!" "I restore your mangled face to its previously well-delinated borders!") or good old Dionysus/Bacchus, for whom getting shitfaced is a sign of your devotion. Or take a Pratchett-esque tilt and have your cleric be a follower of the God Of Lost Keys And Other Small But Surprisingly Important Items, or something equally mundane (yet possibly useful).

Actually, a paladin of Bacchus could be a lot of fun to play. Sure, you're lawful good, but you're going to have a loving great time spreading the word, since you're a follower of the god of wine, ritual madness and ecstasy. You'd only fall if you were a teetotal, self-denying prude. :haw:
Chaotic gods can't have Paladins in 3.X. Paladins aren't allowed be fun.

4E? Knock yourself out on the bartop from getting falling down plastered.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AlphaDog posted:

Edit: Now I picturing a well-ordered drunken orgy.
Lots of drinking contests?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
As has been stated much previously, the original Cleric was literally Van Helsing with healing powers, because the group needed some way to recover healing and one dude wanted to play Van Helsing. So to correctly roleplay a Cleric, start at Jesus Van Helsing and progress from there.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Have Some Flowers! posted:

I'd agree that the way combat works in DND (4E and 3.5 especially) lends itself to one player micromanaging others. That doesn't really happen in Call of Cthulhu for instance because things are more nebulous and conceptual to begin with, and everyone's more interested in the story and playing their characters faithfully than sheer combat efficiency. Sometimes botanists drop their gun and run from a fight. Because that's what a botanist would do. And the GM usually plays along.

Making 'in character' moves in a 4E battle will just draw sneers from the grognards at your table.
If you're dropping your weapon and fleeing mid-combat in 4E (or 3.x, AD&D, OD&D) in any situation other than "OK yeah we're hosed just run" then it's not grognardy to ask if maybe you've misunderstood what kind of game you're playing. D&D isn't a game about Botanists, it's a game about wandering into holes in the grounds and coming out with piles of treasure. If you're trying to play a Cowardly Botanist in any version of D&D then you're playing the wrong system (or playing a reskinned LazyLord in 4E, which is boss).

If by "in character moves" you meant things like "Stabbing that guy might be optimal, but I'm going to stab the Big Bad because he's a cock", or "Guys, maybe we shouldn't be killing the king's guards, I'm going to sit this one out" then that's different and anyone who complains about that needs to calm down.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

I don't agree here. Your stat allocation and feat selection made a huge difference as to your combat ability. We may have the exact same powers, but my to-hit bonuses, damage, defenses, durability and options could be much worse than yours if I selected different feats (instead opting for more skills, skill perks and benefits). Obviously that's a choice with pros and cons, and that's a good thing.

But it's understandable why few people would sacrifice their effectiveness in combat for more and better skills. The skill system was given little attention or interest compared to the combat system. I can make dozens of unique swordsmen with complex interactions of powers, feats, weapon choice, magic items and so on. And then combat will test that swordsmen in dozens of different and interesting ways.

Skill challenges attempted to bridge the gap, but they were still heavily under-developed and misunderstood compared to combat.

I didn't say you couldn't make skill or social specialists, I'm just questioning why you'd bother (for the reasons above). I agree that players can make very strong and well-rounded characters by focusing on combat with one or two specialties on the side, but that's not what some players want to do. Look at the equally true alternative : I'm sure some players would take zero skills if that would give them better combat bonuses.

But what I've found as a GM is that some players just don't care about the mechanics of combat. To them dice rolling and miniature play aren't interesting compared to social interplay with NPCs and other PCs, things like problem solving, puzzles, story and so on.

If one player at the party decides to be a pacifist thief with amazing skills and utility, that should in no way at all hurt the party. And why should it not hurt the party? Because the GM should be tailoring content specifically to the party. Then that player gets to be who they want to be, and maybe the Ranger or Monk in your party who really wants to just roll huge damage dice gets the spotlight for what they wanted to do, too.

We had a player once who was obsessed with party logistics, rationing, weight allowances and pack distribution. Normally I don't give a poo poo about it, and neither does anyone else. But it was a big deal to him, so I made sure to challenge him with dilemmas and situations he could work through. And it was great.

Obviously it's something you try to resolve at an individual level, but it's an identified issue with all cooperative games. The most knowledgeable player often railroads the rest, even when he's being a nice guy or just trying to be educational and helpful.

The issue isn't even with optimized vs non-optimized play (because the GM should always tailor content to your party). It's the relative level of ability of players at your table. If 2 guys are okay and 3 are clueless, the 2 decent players will make the majority of the decisions. That's just how it works in cooperative games. In a game like D&D where 'being your character' can be just as important as 'beating the game', that hurts. I'm just looking for creative mechanics or ways to address it.
Sounds like you don't want to be playing D&D. D&D has always been bad at this. Maybe you should look into FATE?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Myself and thousands (millions?) of others have enjoyed the non-combat interaction and challenges in D&D. I don't think it's unreasonable to put attention on the non-combat aspects of the game, because that's a huge draw for many players, even for players like myself who also really enjoy the combat.
Let me rephrase... 4e was no worse than previous editions at this, and in some respects, arguably better. If you find you can't roleplay in 4E, then you couldn't roleplay in 3.x. If you found yourself able to roleplay in 3.x, you can roleplay in 4E. If you can roleplay in 3.x but not 4E, you're mistaking familiarity for system support and/or you went into 4E expecting to be unable to play in tabletop WoW and took this self-fulfilling prophecy as an issue with the system.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kai Tave posted:

To drag this poo poo back on topic, remember when Next was supposed to address the whole "combat/social/exploration" business directly, via some "three pillar" system? Yeah, remember that? Whatever happened to that? Have they brought it up at all recently?
Three Pillar Support, Original Flavour: The game can be split into three segments, combat, social, and exploration. Therefore, so will your character. You will not have to (and will in fact be unable to) sacrifice the ability to participate in combat to be able to participate in social situations or environment interaction, or vice versa!

(insert Next design process)

Three Pillar Support, New and Improved: The game can be split into three segments, combat, social, and exploration. Each class will be hard-coded to be functional in only one, maybe two of these situations. Except spellcasters who will of course remain good at everything. But a Fighter will be really good at swinging a sword because he has his Combat pillar maxed out, and a Rogue will have Not-Combat maxed out and some combat! But seriously, wizard still has to be best at everything. Pillars!

In other words, they completely inverted an excellent concept while keeping the same name. Because they're a pile of idiots.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

That's a fair point, too. It is what you make of it, and always has been. I think the confusion comes from where the players see all the structure is. If the majority of the instruction about the game is about combat, it makes sense that a player would feel like they were doing it wrong by focusing on non-combat roleplaying.

Think about your first experiences with making a character. Most of your decisions affect your powers and abilities in combat, and only a few speak to your background, quirks, relationships, motives and so on. I guess it's just assumed that players will focus on those things outside of the system, but I know many players (especially new ones) aren't wired that way unless you prompt them.

The initial state for most new players is "okay, what am I allowed to do" rather than "what can't I try?"
I agree, 3.x, AD&D, OD&D, and the Wargame they were based on did and do focus almost entirely on combat. A very good point as to a major failing of the D&D franchise which Next shows no sign of meaningfully straying from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kai Tave posted:

This is the crux of the issue with every edition change in every game ever except maybe Call of Cthulhu and even then I'm not 100% sure. If you're comfortable and familiar with the current edition, why would you change to the new one? Well, there are a couple reasons maybe, how compelling they are is debatable:
As per Goldjas's post, there's also option 4, where one system actually does so something better than the old one. At that point you have to weigh the base rule improvements of the new system against the benefits of both your familiarity with the rules of your current system, the houserules you've implemented to fit your playstyle, existing supplements etc. All of which are perfectly valid reasons to not change from your existing system. The issue only arises when the above are the only reasons someone have for preferring the previous edition, but take them as a reason to tell everyone that the previous version was objectively superior.

AlphaDog posted:

Oh?

Then my memory's flawed. Because what I remember is WotC saying "Three pillars, separated stuff, sounds pretty awesome, right?" and then the fanbase immediately responding with various renditions "Oh cool, so you can easily see that out of fight/explore/discuss, a fighter has like 100/0/0 and a cleric has 50/25/25 and a rogue has 25/50/25 and a wizard has 100/100/100! This is the best thing!" I don't think that's necessarily what WotC originally meant.

But I might be remembering goons (I think mainly you and Splicer) talking about how to do "siloing" the right way.
As I recall their original posts on the subject made it sound like they were talking about siloing, and we were all excited about it, and then it suddenly took a hard-right into 100% fighter town. Whether this was due to the original posts being misleading, the original posts being ambiguous and us reading them in the most favourable light, or siloing being what they originally meant but then they decided to change direction, I don't know. I'm leaning towards the last one though given how suddenly I remember the tone changing, it read like a Hensoo Wizard situation where one or more people had a good idea but ultimately lost the headbutting competition.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Mar 15, 2013

• Locked thread