Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Gau posted:

I am having great difficulty pan-frying a steak to a good, solid rare. Does anyone have any tips?

Cast iron is the cure for what ails you, my friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Have they said why they're going back to martial competency = roll more dice?

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Winson_Paine posted:

Dude there are a metric assload of people trying to do this in RPGs. Major brand holders who have established brands almost never do this, because it can derail the brand. You sort of saw it with 4E where they actually made big changes for the better, and the result was Pathfinder taking off like a rocket.

To be fair that was more of a perfect storm situation; the 2E->3E swap had tons of groggy people decrying Diablo on paper, it was just that 3E went the OGL route and fully opened their doors to someone exploiting the fact that a lot of people are just averse to change.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Is the "NO BINDER IN BURGERS" argument like the "IF IT HAS BEANS IT'S NOT CHILI" argument because seriously there's nothing wrong with a burger that's got some binder in it, nor is there anything wrong with a burger that doesn't. Personally I don't usually find the need for anything past salt/pepper/garlic/chopped onion but if you like some burgers that really stick together go ahead and toss an egg in there.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Winson_Paine posted:

Well, a hamburger should not need binder. Binders make things stick together, and meat sticks to itself just fine. So if it is just a burger, even one with stuff in it, if you have enough stuff to need egg or something to act as a bonding agent it is probably no longer a burger and has become some other form of patty? I dunno if including an egg would do anything for the flavor, I guess.

Yeah people get het up about beans, although it is mostly a Texas thing. I like beans too, again mostly because I am broke a lot and stretchin' that meat dollah is a bonus.

I dunno, I've made some burgers that just fall apart partway through cooking them, so I can see the appeal of having a little bit of binder in there. Plus I'd imagine it would help if you wanna get all fancy and add a chunk of gorgonzola or something in the middle.

Also bean-less chili is bad chili in my book, too, because I am both cheap and like varied texture/flavor.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Another thing that helps speed up 4E, and hell any D&D combat, is informing players of a range of defenses. For instance, one of the groups I play in has a whiteboard in front of the DM for initiative, conditions, player HP/surges, all common stuff, but at a convention lately the DM straight up told us, "If you roll below an 18, you miss, if you roll above a 24, you hit." Nothing about specific defense ranges, just what would miss everything and what would hit everything on the map. We've adopted it and it cuts out a lot of, "Well I rolled X, did I hit?"

Also, if you don't have a board for initiative it is very good for the DM to call out who is next up in initiative so they can have their moves planned out solidly.

Darwinism fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 9, 2013

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Splicer posted:

The biggest thing I've found to cut down on time is dice first, math later. If you have +1 to-hit then it will not matter literally 95% of the time. So roll your die, add your fixed modifiers (and combat advantage), announce. If the GM say "A hit!" then that's a whole bunch of bullshit you didn't have to add up. If they say "A resounding miss!" then an extra +2 or 3 from various bullshit isn't going to matter. If they say "Eh... what else you got?", start mathsing. In any game I've played the people who just roll spend literally half the time per turn than the people who insist on totting up every bullshit modifier beforehand.

Also people keeping track of the buffs they hand out is good, too. It's pretty easy to ask, "Hey, you remember that +2 to hit on him," or, "Are you adding the +3 damage from X ability?" Alternatively a little whiteboard in everyone's view makes this a lot easier if someone's willing to step up and jot quick notes down as they come up.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

palecur posted:

Sweet things and meat don't go together. Pineapple on ham is an abomination, and so is maple syrup on chicken, or mayonnaise on absolutely anything.

Look at how wrong you are. Just look at it.

Sweet and savory can easily go together, it just takes a little effort. Cherry-glazed pork loin, for instance, is amazing. As is a brown sugar/soy sauce/garlic/crushed red pepper marinated flank steak. The list goes on; not every meat is good with sweet, and you don't want sweet meatstuff every time you go for a protein, but they can easily compliment each other.

vvv Eh, I don't mind so much; it's not my thing, but if you like it go for it. But saying that sweet and savory don't go together? That's just kind of silly.

Darwinism fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 10, 2013

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

fatherdog posted:

There are a variety of ways to cook vegetables since there are about a million varieties of vegetables. But if you're ever in doubt, a good default is to put them in a pan, cover them with 1-2 tablespoons of a neutral oil and some salt, and roast 40-70 minutes at around 400 degrees.

40-70 minutes at 400 seems like a pretty insanely long time for some veggies, but I do similarly by chopping up veggies, tossing with oil/salt/pepper/herbs in a mixing bowl and just roasting them for about 20-25 minutes. Works for almost any veggie.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

It's amazing how regressive D&D is compared to hearing stories about guys in the early days playing balrogs and vampires and having entire classes made just because it was what people wanted to play/needed in the game.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Lord Frisk posted:

I have more than one friend who puts ketchup on goddamn everything. Eggs, potatoes, sandwiches, you name it.

Conversely, I have other friends who do the same thing with Sriracha. The two groups see eye to eye on nothing concerning condiments, but they love putting a red sauce on everything edible. Sriracha group won't put ketchup on stuff, and the ketchup group won't venture to the land of the spicy cock.

I'm grasping desperately for a D&D reference, but I can't make my brain function right now.

Alternatively it's just another parallel of edition loyalty; once you're used to the way things taste smothered in ketchup (hint it tastes like really sweet, salty tomato paste) anything that changes that is bad. Sriracha get that condiment outta here it's not a REAL condiment like ketchup, look at the tradition ketchup has. Heinz 57 forever.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Red_Mage posted:

Let me tell you about Phoenix Command...

There's definitely games out there that're much more combat rules finicky but it always gets me when people insist that D&D does political intrigue/in-depth skill-focused adventures/anything but combat, really, very well because, seriously, the skill system is a binary pass/fail system and even that is a relatively new innovation beyond silly stuff like BB/LG and thief skills.

I mean, okay, you definitely can do some political intrigue game in D&D but it's going to be 99% the group, the system's binary nature by RAW does not lend itself really well to degrees of success. And, in my opinion, a political intrigue game isn't about casting Glibness on yourself, running to the king, and shouting at him that you are the real king and he is an impostor while your party supports you and then having him believe it because you passed your skill check.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Have they ever directly addressed how, exactly, they're going to circumvent the problem of trying to attract these people who found a system they like and stuck with it? I know the blurb about having something for everyone, but nothing so far has attracted me to Next over something another edition does.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

FRINGE posted:

2e (at least up to ~level 12 or so which was about were our games seemed to find their natural retirement) generally remained fun for both wizards and fighters. Rogues were the class that struggled unless the player just loved their RP, or the specific game was built to ensure their useful place.

Rogues have always had a weird place in D&D. If one's in your party the DM feels compelled to add sympathy traps, except then it really sucks when the rogue missed on his roll and get slammed by an acid spray or lightning bolt for rolling poorly, maybe even catching multiple people in the blast. If there's no rogue, well, traps may as well not exist for the most part (unless your DM hates you).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

I do love electric kettles, but when I want to make a cup of tea? Microwave + Ingenuitea. God I love this thing. Microwave it to boiling, put in your loose-leaf tea (why are you not using loose-leaf, I bet you think those little baggies are great you goddamn heathen), wait a few minutes, put over mug, enjoy delicious tea. The easiest way to enjoy really good tea that I've found.

• Locked thread