Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

This is a thread for discussing D&D Next. It is a game. Some people think it is a fun game, others do not believe this is the case. This is the thread for discussing the game. Try to do so in a constructive manner. Or don't. You may also discuss bourbon and meat in this thread, or other things which may be relevant to my interests.

If you would like to know more about D&D Next, I suggest you find something out about it for yourself. Doing your own reading is always better than trusting some dolt on the internet. Don't be that guy. Be your own dolt. You can probably get a copy of the playtest packet here. Or don't, I don't care. I hope you enjoy discussing D&D Next in this thread for D&D Next discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Gau posted:

I am having great difficulty pan-frying a steak to a good, solid rare. Does anyone have any tips?

A heavy cast iron skillet and a good broiler will help you immensely in this. Using butter or oil will aid in the browning as well. It is known that the new barbarian class uses this, and I kind of like it. The fighter expertise dice were sort of complicated and confused me. The barbarian runs at things, and hits things. I can respect that. That is what I want out of a class.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Froghammer posted:

So some friends and I have a standing argument over whether or not a whiskey sour counts as a fruity girl drink girl. I maintain that as long as you use sugar and lemon juice as opposed to generic store-brand sour mix it's perfectly acceptable. Thoughts?

The idea that an alcoholic beverage could be gendered is ridiculous. I myself endorse very few things, but recommend Snake Juice. It is delicious. That said, mixer from a store or sugar and lemon juice accomplish the same thing. They waste your whiskey, and they waste your time. Don't do either of those.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Darwinism posted:

Have they said why they're going back to martial competency = roll more dice?

I think it is because rolling more dice is fun. Like, that is the actual reason. Having a lot of dice to throw around is a visceral appeal, and having a little pile of dice you can spend is fun as a whole mess of indie games have shown. I am pretty sure at the heart of things that really is the deal.

palecur posted:

The two best things to do with rum are a Cuba Libre with real has-sugar Coke (from Mexico or kosher) or a Dark & Stormy (1:3 rum:ginger beer over ice, lime slice, do not use ginger ale or you are a horrible person).

I make my own ginger ale. It will make you weep with joy.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

moths posted:

I used to mix a half can of beer, some seasoning, and diced onions in with the meat before forming patties. That will keep them from setting out.

Start off at a medium-high setting, flipping frequently, until brown, then turn it down to a lower heat and cook until the middle is how you'd like it. You won't need to flip as frequently at three lower temp, and you can cover it now if you'd like.

You know, I have tried a lot of these sorts of things and the result always tastes more like a meatloaf sandwich than a hamburger. I am a fan of a well packed patty with salt and pepper on the outside.

fatherdog posted:

If Fighters got the same "Save or gently caress You" maneuvers as Wizards got spells, I would be entirely content.

One of the things I liked about the Mongoose Conan d20 game is they actually gave fighters save or die and save or suck maneuvers, so they could kabong a guy in the head and daze him or just cut his goddamned head off if they were a cool enough dude.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Lord Frisk posted:

You lie! How is this possible?

A very simple recipe is take a cup of water and a cup of sugar and boil them until the sugar is dissolved. While that is getting up to temp shred up a SHITLOAD of ginger from a fresh ginger root, once the sugar is dissolved and you have a clear simple syrup throw your ginger in and let that poo poo steep for an hour or so, basically until the poo poo is cold. Strain the resultant liquid into a clean two liter (you can save the shavings because they are basically ginger candy) and then fill the two liter up the rest of the way with water. Add like, 1/8 of a teaspoon of yeast to this, screw the cap on, and then put this under a sink or somewhere dark and cool for about 36-48 hours. After that it should go in the fridge, to stop it from exploding. Fuckin' delicious. Once you get the hang of that, you can start messing with the basic recipe, I have added lemon zest with good results ferinstance.

Splicer posted:

It's true, throwing lots of dice around is a lot of fun. It should be noted that using some of a Fighter's special abilities result in rolling less dice.

Well, gently caress those special abilities. I think one of the reasons I like the new Cortex+ Marvel game is generating whacky dice pools for every roll.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Splicer posted:

Play WFRP3 and/or Danger Patrol. In both of these the player and GM response to pretty much everything is "roll some more dice".

What is Danger Patrol? I know it is a tangent and a derail, but I checked with the mod and he said it was OK.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Slimnoid posted:

Well I know what I'm going to try tomorrow.

Bear in mind since it is a naturally fermented product, it is gonna have yeasty poo poo in the bottom. Just leave it sit so that poo poo settles and pour it slowly so it stays where it is. It won't hurt you or anything, but some folks don't like the taste.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Kai Tave posted:

Of course, the problem they'd run into there is that if you've got a hankering to play BECMI then all you really need to do is go and grab the Dark Dungeons BECMI retroclone which is completely free and pretty much comprehensive for all your B, E, C, M, and I-ing needs.

As a fan of that, I rec Darker Dungeons to the modern reader. It is the same thing with some house rules that make sense and while the math is not changed the numbers are shuffled so it follows the d20 metric of just add things.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

I figure it will stay a whimper until maybe this time next year, when you are gonna see a full court press of marketing on the ROAD TO GENCON for the release. I am assuming it will be released at GenCon of next year, anyway. This huge lead is so silly.

On a related note, I just knocked back two sammiches of crock pot pulled pork. Holy poo poo, those were good.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

CaptCommy posted:

Did you make your own sauce for this or just use something out of a bottle? If the former, I'd love to see the recipe. Been trying my own for a week or two, haven't found anything I love yet.

I tend to vary what I do for the rub, but it generally goes like... a tablespoon of chili powder, salt, and brown sugar each. After that? powdered garlic, black pepper, cinnamon, whatever I happen to have on hand and smells good. Rub your pork shoulder with that poo poo, let it sit for awhile in the fridge, and then crank your oven to 500 or so and throw your rubbed pork in there. You want the oven stupid hot, because you are looking to carmelize and char, not cook. After a half hour or so in the oven when you have some cooked bits on the outside, throw it in your crock pot with a chopped up onion and some garlic. Use beer or chicken stock in there, maybe a cup or so. Cook that poo poo on low for a few hours, flip it after two or three. Make sure your liquid doesn't get to low. I just eat it like that, although this time I threw some sauce on top for grins.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Splicer posted:

Levels.
Classes.
Treasure.
The words "D&D" on the front.

I would throw the big six attributes on that and probably throwing d20s to hit stuff. Although to look at the bigger picture, WHAT IS THE SOUL OF D&D is the dumbest loving conversation ever and will never go anywhere good.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

ImpactVector posted:

It was mostly this bit that set me off:

You've basically already given up on making a good game right there when you set the bar that low. Why can't it be the best RPG? They've probably got the biggest team and the most money out of any RPG company in the entire industry. They're a bunch of people whose actual day job is sitting around designing games. There aren't many game companies that can say that these days. They've got everything going for them except their need to cater to their own legacy.

In the end what it boils down to is that I don't want to have anything to do with a game that doesn't try to be the best at whatever I'm looking to do. There are so many great games out there and our time for gaming is limited enough that it doesn't make any sense to me to settle for less.

Actually, I sort of have an answer there. D&D has never been the best RPG except for maybe back when it was the only one. But even by the time 2nd Ed came out other systems were already starting to lap them in terms of rules and such. They stepped away from that a little with 4th, but not a whole lot. They are catering to their legacy because D&D has never tried to be the best, it has tried to be the most broadly appealing. To a fair extent it has succeeded? It is trying to be the best, but what you are thinking is the best is not the best best they are going for in the same way that McDonalds is never going to produce great food but goddamn if a lot of people don't eat it.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

I had no idea that 4E players were so persecuted, or that TG was some kind of safe zone for them. A shelter in the storm, as it were.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

fatherdog posted:

How long will it take for someone to start referring to 4th edition as New Coke

I am gonna go into PSP and start in about how PRIDE was where all the real fighters were. :argh:

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Jimbozig posted:

No. And neither is pathfinder. If Nintendo made a game about orcs and humans and undead fighting, it wouldn't be warcraft. The fact that it's being made by the owners of the IP is important. Burger king is like McDonald's, but it's not McDonald's. There may be burger joints that do McDonald's thing better than McDonald's itself does. Some people think Dungeon World is better than D&D at its own game and that's perfectly fine. If it was made by WotC and WotC slapped a D&D label on it, it would totally be D&D.

It's perfectly valid to ask what makes a good burger or what makes a good fantasy RPG, but asking what makes a McDonald's burger like it's something that can never change is silly. Should they keep adding "pink goo" to their burgers for legacy reasons?

This is maybe a little too reductionist to be satisfactory. McDonalds and D&D and all your other examples pretty clearly have established brands that conform to certain preconceptions. You can slay sacred cows all you like, but if you kill enough of them the brand ceases to have value. The question people are asking is not "ACCORDING TO AN IP LAYWER WOULD ANYTHING THEY CHOOSE TO MAKE BE D&D IF THEY CHOSE TO PUT THAT ON THE COVER" because of course it is. McDonalds could put the transmission of a 57 Chevy in a box and call it a Big Mac if they wanted. What people are asking, what actually makes for a productive line of discussion, is "how far can they deviate from certain cardinal points of a given brand and still conform to the popular conception of that brand, and what might those cardinal points be in the first place." Which actually facilitates discussion and could possibly even lead to conclusions or new ideas rather than trying to shut it down and claim a flawless victory on technical grounds.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Barudak posted:

Someone should create a well-integrated, streamlined iterative product that engages a new customer base by not being trapped in the stodgy mindsets of competitors and by offering a new experience is not exactly something RPGs should shy away from.

Dude there are a metric assload of people trying to do this in RPGs. Major brand holders who have established brands almost never do this, because it can derail the brand. You sort of saw it with 4E where they actually made big changes for the better, and the result was Pathfinder taking off like a rocket.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Barudak posted:

Given that by creating stand-alone universe experiences which did not properly integrate with 2e Core material is what helped kill TSR I'd argue its actually a really good example of how its not "DnD" in a brand sense.

Horrible business practices on the back end killed TSR. Mismanagement at the executive level. Blaming Dark Sun or any of the other game settings is adorable but wrong. Grossly overprinting product they weren't tracking killed TSR. The executives treating the company as a hobby killed TSR. Not bothering with accountants until it was way too late killed TSR. Having several game worlds is pretty low on the list of things that did damage to the company.

Winson_Paine fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 5, 2013

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

ProfessorCirno posted:

D&D's relationship with minis is odd. It was assumed you'd use a fairly rough method of keeping track of distances and such in OD&D, AD&D had the minis rules baked in hardcore to the point where things were measured in inches though some still didn't use them, AD&D 2e went polar opposite and assumed you didn't use minis at all, 3e assumed you used minis but a lot of people didn't which lead to rule wonkiness at times, 4e went back to AD&D levels of miniature assumptions but, rather then bake it into measurements of inches and such, baked it into the combat, and now 5e seems to be doing an unholy mash of 2e and 3e, though "an unholy mash of 2e and 3e" does describe the edition overall. Of course part of it is because 3e and 4e had much crunchier combat rules then AD&D and Basic did, and the mini usage went along with that. 5e has a strange number of combat crunch but is still trying to be cagey about the ~*~theater of the mind~*~.

AD&D actually had inches, grids, and hex rules as well as abstracting rules in the DMG. 1st Ed was well and truly loving well prepared for whatever you might want to play.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

jigokuman posted:

This makes me wonder if there's a Harry Potter pen and paper RPG, or at least a game that emulates it, because if there isn't, that makes me think the hobby is very much pointed in the model railroad direction.

The RPG hobby wishes it was a billion dollar industry that was expanding markets overseas. The model railroad analogy is a popular hobby horse to beat around here, but it is dumb as hell and I wish people would knock it off. Comparing a hobby with thousands of dollars invested in actual product on a set table vs. one that is almost exclusively IP driven is fabulous in its stupidity and that is compounded with the defacto assumption that because a product is niche or limited in scope it is automatically doomed or unsuccessful. Ugh.

ProfessorCirno posted:

From what I remember, there were one or two jabs at it but Harry Potter the IP is ludicrously valuable and it's owners kept a tight lid on it (outside of the inevitable sea of terrible video games that always somehow occurs). As for emulating it, the tabletop industry has been notoriously terrible about following actual pop culture stuff as it comes out, so...yeah.

Which is funny because there is a fairly gigantic internet culture based around freeform roleplaying that, from what I've seen, absolutely could be tapped into by the industry. But it doesn't, because they roleplay as like 18th century nobility or wizards and vampires (but not the "cool" tabletop versions), and it's predominately female, so...welp.

Harry Potter is kind of a neat case, and I don't wonder if the IP is actually too big to rate a PNP style RPG at this point. As far as them dismissing the freeform rpg/fanfic community because they are mostly women? That might be kinda true, but that community is hard to monitize in a traditional way. It is money I am sure they would love to have, but there is not a whole hell of a lot they can do to get it outside of conventions/personal appearances/etc. Honestly it is a measure of... something that they are more or less leaving those communities alone (although the battle over Harry Potter was pretty epic, although one the fanfolks ended up winning) rather than trying to regulate or control them. Maybe that is part of why there is no attempt at that sort of monitization, the community at which it is aimed is pretty paranoid about attempts at official intrusion.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

TalonDemonKing posted:

So whats TGs opinion on Glennfiddtch? It's a single malt whiskey that got introduced to when I was first able to legally drink; during a bout of DnD games.

True confessions time, I have never met a Scotch I could stand. It tastes liked someone soaked rotten wood in rubbing alcohol to me. The wierd part is while I have adjusted or learned to enjoy a lot of other poo poo, Scotch continues to elude my palate. I have no idea why.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Spoilers Below posted:

I wonder, though... To use another franchise, there are two different fan My Little Pony RPGs bumping around the internet. I know, I know, but that poo poo sells a ton of merchandise, to the point where Hasbro (hmm...) doesn't really care if all their commercials TV episodes are everywhere, and hence has had an almost completely hands off approach to anything not regarding selling toys to children. They don't care much about their fanatical periphery demographic for obvious reasons. But why would a fan buy the official version, when they've already got the free ones, and why would Hasbro produce something no 9 year old girl would buy?

I think with MLP it is because the target audience is little kids, at least as far as hasbro is concerned. They already sell RPG gear as far as an eight year old is concerned, because you can play pretend with your ponies. They don't really sell RPG rules to kids because kids don't need them. If your eight year olds want to play Harry Potter they can get wands and brooms and go run around the yard shouting at each other. HP is probably a better example since there is an adult segment that Warner Bros actually actively courts (rather than Hasbro's baffled tolerance of Bronies) so you could make a case for an RPG as a logical extension of the IP, but like Cirno said they are REALLY PROTECTIVE of that IP. So what you get is Fate Harry Potter or GURPS Harry Potter or D&D 4E Reskinned Harry Potter instead of an official release, because RPGs have always been a very DIY sort of hobby.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

MadScientistWorking posted:

Well the fundamental problem is that I've also seen far more niche and exorbitantly more expensive hobbies than model trains become far more mainstream than D&D will ever hope to be which kind of says something about RPGs.

Dude, you need to get over it. RPGs are never going to be the prom king and queen of entertainment. Just deal with that fact rather than this resentful poo poo where you cry that there has to be something wrong with the hobby. It is a niche market for a lot of reasons most of which are related to the level of time commitment you need for the thing. It is not a fundamental problem unless you are looking to become a billionaire on RPG sales. This is not a knock on the hobby, it is not a bad thing, but it is a thing. You are not being persecuted because you like a niche hobby, no one is going to take your books away, and it is not going anywhere any time soon. Sheesh.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Mendrian posted:

My basic opinion is that if you want to become a billionaire writing RPGs, you need to pump out a lot of very innovative products very quickly. You need to become the RPG equivalent of Stephen King.

King was not particularly innovative, really. What he was (or is, I guess) is a masterful storyteller who makes great use of established things and presents them in amazing ways. Spiders and mean clowns and such are not really breaking any new ground, it is in the telling of the story King really shines and why he makes as much bank as he does. I expect there is an RPG metaphor operant there, I leave it for someone else to pluck out.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Mendrian posted:

Isn't this sort of fatalistic thinking though?

'Nobody outside the hobby will ever get involved' is the kind of thinking that resulted in 'let's appeal to 40+ year old grognards and no one else'. RPGs may not be some kind of grand growth industry, and yeah, it's a risky bet, but if we as the fans continue to treat it as our own private clubhouse, it's never going to grow.

There is some kind of barrier to entry, certainly. As Winson said, it's probably a time investment thing. But I mean, somehow, videogames became popular despite years of people saying they were too niche to go mainstream. Hell, knitting became popular briefly in the early 00's. Treating the RPG market as if it were a stagnant undead thing isn't productive. If we assume it's a real business (it is), we* have to at least pretend the market can grow and we* have to figure out how. Treating it as a non-business is what got us in this position to begin with.

*'we' being the collective industry

I never meant no one outside will ever get involved, or that any growth is impossible. I just can't stand the idea that the hobby is doomed because it will never be as popular as the NFL or whatever. Success is entirely possible, but success doesn't mean you are suddenly the prince of everything and everyone loves you and your words are on the lips of all the little people out there. Success comes in a lot of sizes and shapes, and there is plenty of room for growth and success in RPGs without bemoaning the idea that it will never be super popular or whatever.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

palecur posted:

Why would you put breadcrumbs and egg into a meatloaf

Who would do that

edit: Given that most meatloaf recipes insist on breadcrumbs (gross) and also baste it with ketchup (double gross), it's no real wonder so many people hate meat loaf. It's really not that hard -- it's just a large, oblong burger that you slice.

Breadcrumbs are good for balance, and filler. Meatloaf that doesn't have breadcrumbs is way, way too beefy. Meatloaf is also poverty food, and breadcrumbs stretch a budget.

Egg is a binder, and helps things stick together. I tend to make it without egg, since meatloaf is pretty high protein anyway.

pre:
1 onion, chopped fine
3 cloves garlic, pressed
10 long dashes Tabasco
1 finely crumbled bay leaf
1-1/2 generous tbsp each salt & black pepper
5 strips very crisp bacon, crumbled
2 cups beef or veal broth
2 cups milk
2-1/2 cups bread crumbs
3-1/2 pounds ground meat
I stole this from S. John Ross, game designer. I rec for the meat 2.5 lbs hamburger and a pound of Jimmy Dean Hot Sausage. It does not dissapoint.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

palecur posted:

I'm prepared to believe this assertion, but I'm going to need some kind of explanation about how a six-ounce slice of no-breadcrumb meatloaf is too beefy, but a six-ounce no-breadcrumb piece of steak is not too beefy.

Hamburger gets dry as gently caress, especially when baked.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

palecur posted:

That makes a lot more sense to me than 'too beefy', yeah. Mixing with sausage and adding a bit of egg as a binder seems reasonable too, but I am still having trouble seeing breadcrumbs as structurally necessary.

Data point: I never use or eat bread-based stuffing for turkeys. I love bread, but not generally as an ingredient in meat dishes.

I dunno man, I guess I can say that I have never had a PURE MEAT MEATLOAF so I have no basis for comparison but honestly a big baked hamburger seems gross to me. Also breadcrumbs streeeeeetch that dollar.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

FactsAreUseless posted:

Exactly. Hamburgers, tacos, burritos, chili, spaghetti, meatball sandwiches, sloppy joes. There are so many better things to do with ground beef.

A meatball is basically a round little meatloaf, broseph.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Error 404 posted:

As one of 'the poors' I had a lot of meatloaf while growing up. It's pretty good.

I liked putting ketchup on it, but I'm with the folks who think a ketchup 'glaze' is gross. My mom used strips of bacon, or mashed/sliced potato on top instead.

I usually glaze with a mix of ketchup or bbq sauce, horseradish, mustard, and/or honey in some combo. Basically getting some sugar and some spice on top.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Darwinism posted:

Is the "NO BINDER IN BURGERS" argument like the "IF IT HAS BEANS IT'S NOT CHILI" argument because seriously there's nothing wrong with a burger that's got some binder in it, nor is there anything wrong with a burger that doesn't. Personally I don't usually find the need for anything past salt/pepper/garlic/chopped onion but if you like some burgers that really stick together go ahead and toss an egg in there.

Well, a hamburger should not need binder. Binders make things stick together, and meat sticks to itself just fine. So if it is just a burger, even one with stuff in it, if you have enough stuff to need egg or something to act as a bonding agent it is probably no longer a burger and has become some other form of patty? I dunno if including an egg would do anything for the flavor, I guess.

Asphyxious posted:

Whoa, what? As a maker of many chilis, all of which have kidney beans in them, this offends me greatly.

Yeah people get het up about beans, although it is mostly a Texas thing. I like beans too, again mostly because I am broke a lot and stretchin' that meat dollah is a bonus.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I come from the land that makes chocolate gravy, and even I agree with this.

You mean chocolate sauce or hot fudge?

Darwinism posted:

I dunno, I've made some burgers that just fall apart partway through cooking them, so I can see the appeal of having a little bit of binder in there. Plus I'd imagine it would help if you wanna get all fancy and add a chunk of gorgonzola or something in the middle.

Also bean-less chili is bad chili in my book, too, because I am both cheap and like varied texture/flavor.

If I am eating a bowl of red by its lonesome, I am pro bean. If it is being used as a topping or condiment (like on hot dogs or burgers) I dislike beans.

Also chili mac should have beans. Chili mac is like the ultimate dollar stretcher, really.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Question: does anyone have a dumpling recipe that doesn't suck? Everytime I make chicken and dumplings I get these hard little shotputs which are tasty but ultimately not really satisfying. I want floofy poofs of dumpling. Help.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

unseenlibrarian posted:

Something like this worked pretty well for my folks, except they used essentially pancake batter mix. Two parts bisquick or whatever to one part milk, mix until smooth, drop into soup.

Mom always used bisquick, and they turned out great. My attempts to make that from scratch have been flailing nightmares.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Dr Pepper posted:

I think my favorite part of D&D Next is when the developers talk about problems that were already solved in 4e.

Stop posting like this. While this is a more mellow thread than many, smug white noise drivebys are not going to do it any favors. If you want to contribute, do so.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Jimbozig posted:

The typical thing to cut down on the acidic flavour of tomato sauce is to add sugar. I've never heard of adding milk although I suppose it would work. I doubt it would be done at any self-respecting italian place. They are pretty big on tradition.

Milk is reasonably common depending on what part of Italy you are talking about, you need to bone up on your traditions. Milk sweetens the sauce a little and thickens it a little, it can also help to carry other flavors. You see it in pizza sauce sometimes for that reason, and in some Bolonese sauces. That said, it is not super common in what goes for like, standard US Italian Style Red SauceTM.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Randalor posted:

Anyways, so this post isn't just me bitching, I love Boston Pizza's Boston Brute sandwich and cactus cut potatoes. Does anyone have recipies to make something similar to a Boston Brute and cactus cut potatoes?

Cactus cut potatoes are pretty easy, just slice some spuds thin with either a mandolin or a sharp knife, toss them in oil, salt and pepper them, then lay them out on a cookie sheet and cook for... probably about 10 min, then flip them over and give them some more time.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

AlphaDog posted:

I haven't got the new playtest email. Anything I need to do? I didn't read the last one very closely, and I never got a survey either.

The emails come out infrequently, or sometimes not at all. There appears to be no rhyme or reason to it, I think they are just legit bad at maintaining a mailing list. Just go over to the site and download it, it is what I do. In like two weeks you will get an email.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

I AM THE MOON posted:

anyone know if any of the big chain grocery stores would stock gyoza skins? cooking with dog has given me some ideas but i cant make them without gyoza skin - and I am too lazy to even try and make them from scratch.

THey carry them around here stock, although if I want to buy a lot of them I will go to one of the Japanese markets.

Tonight's supper, homemade crust smeared with garlic, oil, and hot sauce. BBQ sauce topped with bacon, onions, and chicken. Colby and mozz. cheeses.

Since I always have leftover crust, I usually use it for bread sticks, braids, cheese bread, cinnamon bread, whatever. This time the two year old got her first pizza all for her:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Desty posted:

Gyoza dough is really easy, though. Like, the hardest part is waiting an hour while it sits in the fridge.

Put flour in a bowl. Put some oil and salt in there, and some cooking starch to help bind crap together. Start mixing it with your hand, and while you do that add hot water until you get the consistency you want. Cover the bowl and let it sit in your fridge for an hour, then roll it out into a tube and cut as thick as you want.

Proportions depend on how many gyoza you're gonna make and how thick you want to cut the dough. The cool part is that if you're not getting enough while you're mixing, just dump more of your supplies in there and keep going.

I was going to make a comment that it was a pain to make and impossible to get thin enough before I remembered I make my own egg and lasagna noodles now so more is the fool me. Still, I make them infrequently and the skins are SO HANDY if you want something quick and keep forever so I usually just buy them.

Kai Tave posted:

That pizza looks loving amazing, Winson. drat, now I want pizza.

It came out really well, I have my pizza tech down now I think. In a perfect world I would let the crust rise longer, but sometimes I want pizza in an hour or two.

• Locked thread