Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib
For a long time, I thought I hated whiskey.

Then I learned I just hate bourbon, as all people with working palates do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

Ratoslov posted:

So what's the state-of-the-art with bad D&D Next design decisions?

And also, I've got this bottle of black rum. I like it- it's like rum-flavored rum- but it's a little strong. What's a good cocktail that uses black rum?

The two best things to do with rum are a Cuba Libre with real has-sugar Coke (from Mexico or kosher) or a Dark & Stormy (1:3 rum:ginger beer over ice, lime slice, do not use ginger ale or you are a horrible person).

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

Winson_Paine posted:

I make my own ginger ale. It will make you weep with joy.

Ginger ale is wonderful, and so is single-malt Scotch, but neither has any place in a Dark 'n Stormy.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib
hey guys I don't have much of an opinion on what makes an RPG D&D other than being pretty sure most of you are wrong, but how about cryomuddling up a thai basil rum daiquiri?

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

TalonDemonKing posted:

So whats TGs opinion on Glennfiddtch? It's a single malt whiskey that got introduced to when I was first able to legally drink; during a bout of DnD games. I always tie the taste to minis, DM screens, and dice now.

Glenfie's perfectly acceptable tipple. My own taste is more in the direction of Aberlour's superb A'bunadh, mind you, but Glenfiddich is tasty stuff.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

Halloween Jack posted:

Just boil the mint for syrup, for Christ's sake.

I guess if you just don't care about heat-denaturing essential oils, you could totally go with that.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

AlphaDog posted:

4) You know how a lot of people in the USA talk about "good meatloaf"? I've never had a good meatloaf, and I'm not sure such a thing exists in Australia. Can someone point me at a recipe that produces meatloaf that isn't bland, dry, grey, awfulness?

Did you ever make a good hamburger? Ok, do that, but in a loaf pan. BOOM DONE.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

Ulta posted:

if you are putting Pablo breadcrumbs, and egg into a hamburger, you don't know how to make a good hamburger.

Why would you put breadcrumbs and egg into a meatloaf

Who would do that

edit: Given that most meatloaf recipes insist on breadcrumbs (gross) and also baste it with ketchup (double gross), it's no real wonder so many people hate meat loaf. It's really not that hard -- it's just a large, oblong burger that you slice.

palecur fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 6, 2013

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

Winson_Paine posted:

Meatloaf that doesn't have breadcrumbs is way, way too beefy.

I'm prepared to believe this assertion, but I'm going to need some kind of explanation about how a six-ounce slice of no-breadcrumb meatloaf is too beefy, but a six-ounce no-breadcrumb piece of steak is not too beefy.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

Winson_Paine posted:

Hamburger gets dry as gently caress, especially when baked.

That makes a lot more sense to me than 'too beefy', yeah. Mixing with sausage and adding a bit of egg as a binder seems reasonable too, but I am still having trouble seeing breadcrumbs as structurally necessary.

Data point: I never use or eat bread-based stuffing for turkeys. I love bread, but not generally as an ingredient in meat dishes.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Also, this is the best recipe for Chicken and Waffle Sandwiches:

1 Rotisserie Chicken
Several waffles
Sliced Havarti cheese
2-4 tart green apples
Butter

Optional:
Mayonnaise
Maple syrup

Toast and butter the waffles to use as bread. Carve the rotisserie chicken and apples into thin slices. Pile chicken and apples on one waffle, covering with cheese slice to melt. Spread mayonnaise and/or syrup on other waffle if desired, then use it to sandwich the chicken. Serve with green beans, drumsticks and wings.

I will always love you for coining the phrase Aggressively Hegemonizing Ursine Swarm, but that recipe is an emetic in text form.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Given the amount of grease involved, it's actually more of a laxative, but Chicken and Waffles is seriously loving delicious.

Sweet things and meat don't go together. Pineapple on ham is an abomination, and so is maple syrup on chicken, or mayonnaise on absolutely anything.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

PeterWeller posted:

I like playing clerics and other types of religious characters. I like coming up with tenets and theologies for weird fantasy deities (one of the reasons why I like FR's god for every little thing pantheon), and I don't think you need to play them as fanatics or zealots.

Also, the chicken in chicken and waffles is supposed to be fried.

I particularly like how the backstory for Invokers lets you play someone who just stumbled across a fragment of divine power and is, essentially, drafted into divine service, much like The Secrets of Isis and other representatives of the 'intrepid archaeologist touches the wrong artifact and is imbued by ancient forgotten gods' trope. Okay, you fit that onto any of the Divine classes in 4E, but it's a great fit for Invokers, and weirdly, a good off-model for Avengers, who otherwise lend themselves nicely to full-on zealot models.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

Mr Beens posted:

Is this an American thing? In the UK every house has an electric kettle. Do you guys seriously boil water in a pot on the stove?

No, typically we use the microwave.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

AlphaDog posted:

Edit: Do you really boil the water in the microwave? My granny would have cut you for that.

The whole point to a microwave is heating water; that's, like, its core operating principle. It takes 88 seconds and I can heat just one glass' worth. An electric kettle takes at least 4 minutes and a 1 liter minimum.

Also, the right brewing temperature for tea is 'whatever temperature will be just barely not too hot to drink 120 seconds after putting the tea in'. That applies to all teas, infusions, tisanes, and whatnot.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib
Sourdough's taste profile is worlds apart from challah, to the point where I'm wondering if you've ever had any of either.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

Reason posted:

I want to share this empanada recipe, my family is from Ecuador and we made these for my dad and he loved them. I'm not so keen on the sauce, but man I love empanadas. Make sure to get the fresh chorizo and not the nasty pre-packaged poo poo from Fred Meyer though, that really makes a huge difference.

Reason if you can tell me where to find potatoes in the US that will make an acceptable locro or llapingachos I will debase myself in any way that you like, nothing available locally has the right waxy/starchy ratio and I wind up with decent potato dishes that are emphatically not locro or llapingachos.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

Halloween Jack posted:

Is there another way to scramble eggs?

The best-and-only way to scramble eggs is in a double boiler for 45 minutes, the way Nero Wolfe directs you to in The Mother Hunt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib
Wouldn't the use of AND mean that, to maintain a rage, you had to both attack and take damage each turn? Because that seems far worse.

• Locked thread