Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Orange Red Bull posted:

How does Finland figure into viking history? I always imagined I had some viking in me since my ancestry is Swedish and Finnish. As far as I could tell the vikings didnt really gently caress with the finns because they considered them to be too crazy/dangerous.

It's important to realize that the history of Scandinavia is incredibly muddled and most accounts of stuff like Vikings are second hand accounts from OTHER cultures because we got so little from the actual cultures themselves. In all likelihood the borders between Norway, Sweden and Finland were extremely diffuse back then and was mostly just a bunch of towns strewn about until some really powerful warlords kings started unifying stuff. Realistically Vikings consisted of both Norwegians, Swedes, Danes and Finns up to the 10th century... Especially since it's theorized that the Rus were vikings and they founded Russia way in the east.

The "history" of Harald uniting norway is mostly obscure legend kind of stuff:

quote:

Most of his life remains uncertain, since the extant accounts of his life in the sagas were set down in writing around three centuries after his lifetime.

and for example, It is not known when and how the kingdom of Sweden was born.

All of Scandinavian history before a certain point is mostly guesswork based on sagas, legends and second and third hand accounts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

savinhill posted:

Is he really king of that much already in the show's current timeline? Between Ragnar being a much larger heroic figure and king himself and his interactions with his stalkee bae, I thought he still had a lot left to do to fill out his historical resume

Also, I was bummed when his brother announced he'd be splitting with him to go raiding with Bjorn in the Mediterranean. I think the two brother characters and their actors have great chemistry and find their scenes together some of the most entertaining out of the many side-characters/subplots, even if the writing for most of them this season did fall to the dumb n cliche level of most of the rest of the show. Also bummed that their new ally met his demise so quickly, thought he had potential to bring a new and different type of perspective to the Viking political n conquest scheming, as well as enjoying his scenes with the ultra-rad tattoo face bros. I don't even really see the point of them having introduced that character outside of giving Lagertha another opportunity to show that she's just so much the baddest of badass Vikings that she never even has to use more than a single facial expression when she's effortlessly and lethargically overcoming another non struggle(to her anyway, any other character would've been overwhelmed and barely scraped by while struggling mightily, maybe even resorting to the cowardly tactic of emoting under duress)

King Bro will be an only child by the time Bjorn learns about Tapas

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gonz posted:

Henry VIII gonna own so many fools next season.

I'm not quite up to speed on my viking history but I'm pretty sure Henry the 8th won't show for at least another 700 years or so. Now that would be a time jump.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I'm not quite up to speed on my viking history but I'm pretty sure Henry the 8th won't show for at least another 700 years or so. Now that would be a time jump.

Are you intentionally being dense

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I said my 8th wife not the 8th century!!
*laugh track*

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Zzulu posted:

kattegat is the furthest away from Norway and is just between Sweden and Denmark

I've bathed in kattegat :getin:

I so hate that loving name. How lazy do you have to be to name the main character's village after a body of water? It wasn't even called that until medieval times.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Idiots can't pronounce Hafnarfjörður for various reasons. Let it go, it's been 4 seasons.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I hope we get to see Henry VIII jerk off into a bucket like last time.

Too bad Brandon is off being Superman or else we could get the whole band back together

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rocksicles posted:

Idiots can't pronounce Hafnarfjörður for various reasons. Let it go, it's been 4 seasons.

It also wasn't a viking town. There was lots of towns in the viking age who was both easy to pronounce (Kaupang, Lade, Jomsborg etc.) and with real historical significance.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 8, 2017

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Kattegat was an actual viking town. We know this because it's on The History Channel, not The Fiction Channel.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

The History-ish Channel

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Does this mean Odin is real :stare:

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live

savinhill posted:

I couldn't disagree more, not only is the Last Kingdom a good show in it's own right, it's first season is vastly superior to Viking's latest mess of a season, or half-season, or whatever it's being referred to

probably not the first thing you've been wrong about

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015
Last Kingdom's production values in particular, and the set design/costumes/etc all have some very strange and bad choices that stop me from enjoying it on the same level as Vikings. The actual storyline is fine, and the acting is alright too.

Also the main charcter's adult version looks... really bad to me, and I hate the fact that the Anglo Saxons have square shields and pitchforks(?).

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Just pretend there was a town called Kattegat and the body of water got named after it later if it'll help you aspie fucks sleep at night

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
kattegat had a lot of jellyfish in it let me tell you

i'd pick em up and toss them at my sister

it was good

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Zzulu posted:

I call upon Odin everytime I go to battle against my ex-wife

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zzulu posted:

Snorri Sturluson actually believed that the norse gods were real, historical people who was worshiped as gods:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ynglinga_saga

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

We just saw the historically accurate visit by Odin to the Sons of Ragnarr, informing them of their fathers death.

There's a plaque that marks the very spot it happened just outside the ruins of Old Kattegat.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Literally any old hobo could be Odin testing you. That's why you need to be nice to everyone.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

jfood posted:

We just saw the historically accurate visit by Odin to the Sons of Ragnarr, informing them of their fathers death.

There's a plaque that marks the very spot it happened just outside the ruins of Old Kattegat.

Which is on a beach in Arizona, I think

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Alhazred posted:

Snorri Sturluson actually believed that the norse gods were real, historical people who was worshiped as gods:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ynglinga_saga

It isn't that hard to buy that idea since it is just a half step away from Divine Mandate.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Grevling posted:

Literally any old hobo could be Odin testing you. That's why you need to be sure to die a violent and glorious death

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Odin posted:

A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Alhazred posted:

Maybe, but what Sturluson wanted to do was preserve the tradition of Norse skaldic poetry and sagas while also making sure to tell his readers he's Christian. Snorri is a Christian and he totally absolutely doesn't believe in pagan gods you guys, he's just telling you about Viking poetry. He sets the Norse gods up as historical or legendary kings etc as a literary device. He doesn't necessarily believe they were people worshiped as gods, it's just a way to preserve the stories while making it very clear he is Not Pagan and not promoting pagan ideas.

Remember that Sturluson is writing in about 1220, well after the Christianization of the Vikings.

edit: Sturluson also tweaks other things to conform more to Christian concepts. Notably, Loki is much more of a evil tempter Satan-like figure in Sturluson's writing than in the Elder Edda where Loki is more a neutral trickster.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 9, 2017

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
That's Euhemerism and it's how Christians explained away stories of pagan gods more or less from the beginning.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Zzulu posted:

Clearly. When was the last time you saw an ice giant!?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

is this on hiatus again? i went to look for last nights episode and its not on history.com

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Orange Red Bull posted:

is this on hiatus again? i went to look for last nights episode and its not on history.com

Yep.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
If they paced it right, they could've killed King Aella and set up the war between Ecbert and the Vikings for the next season premiere. It would've been way more exciting. Now I don't even remember what I'm supposed to be hype for next season.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Volkerball posted:

I don't even remember what I'm supposed to be hype for next season.

because some bishop with a sword boned a chick, clearly

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Wafflecopper posted:

because some bishop with a sword boned a chick, clearly

Oh yeah that's right. Woop.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Volkerball posted:

If they paced it right, they could've killed King Aella and set up the war between Ecbert and the Vikings for the next season premiere. It would've been way more exciting. Now I don't even remember what I'm supposed to be hype for next season.

You're not super hyped for Metallica Ragnarson's funeral?

Also would it have killed them to get the dude a contact lens so you would notice his freaky "Snake In Eye" outside of super CG close ups when he was a baby and as he died?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Volkerball posted:

The battle of Hafrsfjord:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Volkerball posted:

I don't even remember what I'm supposed to be hype for next season

new anglo-saxon antagonist

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Orange Red Bull posted:

While Ivar is presumably trying hate-gently caress the rest of England.

Also Bjorn and Harald's bro are going back to the med.

Speaking of Ivar vs. Henry's actor, any firm dates on season 2 of Last Kingdom?

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Orange Red Bull posted:

namely king henry viii, extracted from showtime and deposited directly into the danelaw, complete with primal scream orgasms

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah that part doesn't make much sense, but Kattegat is definitely supposed to be part of Norway and the landscape is a Norwegian fjord. Denmark is flat as a pancake, it's all islands, farmland, and bogs. Sweden is rocky shoreline and forests, Norway is mountains and fjords.
During this period, Denmark was basically covered in forest too, outside the heath landscape in western Jutland. Actually, pretty much all of Europe was significantly more forested than it is now, to the point where you could probably traverse most of it without ever leaving a forest if you wanted to. Villages and farms would basically exist in clearings in the primeval forest, except of course in places where the natural landscape was not forest, such as south-eastern Ukraine.

Zzulu posted:

kattegat is the furthest away from Norway and is just between Sweden and Denmark

I've bathed in kattegat :getin:
Norway used to stretch further south, including the province of Bohuslän, allowing the town of Kattegat to be both adjacent to Kattegat the body of water and be in Norway.

Grevling posted:

I so hate that loving name. How lazy do you have to be to name the main character's village after a body of water? It wasn't even called that until medieval times.
Plus it's a Dutch name.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

In Dutch, the word kattegat can be translated as 'cat's anus'.

The more you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

John F Bennett posted:

In Dutch, the word kattegat can be translated as 'cat's anus'.

The more you know.
The name comes from those waters being as tight to get through as a cat's anus, due to the various reefs and shallow waters.

• Locked thread