Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mambo No. 5
Feb 25, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

:siren: Episode 3 is online! :siren:

I like this show, and ditto about the earl being a paranoid dumbfuck. I hate his wife too. And Rollo is a dick.

edit: I really hope they keep up this trend of posting the next episode online 6 days before it airs on television.

Mambo No. 5 fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Agustin Cienfuegos posted:

Here's a good start:

Bloodtaking and Peacemaking: Feud, Law, and Society in Saga Iceland - William Ian Miller

The Viking World - Stefan Brink

Norse Mythology: A Guide to Gods, Heroes, Rituals, and Beliefs - John Lindow

Appreciate it, thanks!

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I enjoyed Ep 3, but I still find the Earl annoyingly two-dimensional. It's a terrible character that is thus far preventing me from really embracing the show.

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost

qbert posted:

I enjoyed Ep 3, but I still find the Earl annoyingly two-dimensional. It's a terrible character that is thus far preventing me from really embracing the show.

Thanks Tumbleweed for the reminder! I agree, the Jarl is the weakest part of the show so far (nothing against Gabriel Byrne he's just a poorly written character). I was hoping we'd start to see his motivation by now but oh well. I am looking forward to more :black101: though! Now I'm going to go and read Asterix and the Normans. If only everybody in this show's name ended in -haf!

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
I agree with the thoughts on the Earl. He invited the dude to gently caress his wife, then kills him for it :wtc:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

I agree with the thoughts on the Earl. He invited the dude to gently caress his wife, then kills him for it :wtc:

He should have proven his honour by refusing! So the Jarl would just kill him for saying his wife wasn't good enough for him.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Just saw Episode 3, this show is awesome. I hate where they ended it though :reddit:. Also, is the Jarl expecting to get all the treasure, since Ragnar said he could have it all?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Just saw Episode 3, this show is awesome. I hate where they ended it though :reddit:. Also, is the Jarl expecting to get all the treasure, since Ragnar said he could have it all?

Ragnar is playing on his greed, so I'm going to go with yes. I still don't get why the Jarl hasn't been murdered by now by someone.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Admiral Goodenough posted:

We have several Landsting, county councils.

We also have the Tingsrätt which is the district courts.

Have to agree on the Jarl. It feels kind of unecessary for the show to even have him, the whole den of vipers/game of thrones mess back home feels a bit out of place in this cool exploration/raiding viking show, and i feel it'd be cooler if Gabriel Byrne (who is as said an awesome actor, just playing a poorly written character) played something equivalent on the english side of things (the mentioned king perhaps?), since that is what i find really interesting about the show, the way theese two cultures will react to eachother, especially now with that bloody ending in episode 3.

Other than that though this show rules. Loved the temptation act on the priest, poor little thing.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Just wanted to say I also am not a fan if the Jarl character. He's just evil for the sake of being evil which is shallow. I'm sure we'll get a backstory that "explains it" but regardless he's still a shallow rear end character that you know was written just to be a bad guy first, then slot in whatever bullshit is necessary to make him make such terrible decisions like killing tremendously rare skilled workers.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
The Earl is prone to the occasional weird staring-off-into-space moments. I'm hoping this is to hint at a backstory/motivation that we'll be getting to soon, not just the show trying to make him look extra insane. I also can't see his paranoid murders remaining secret long in a community of that size.

This was what I thought was going to happen when Ragnar and his wife bounced out of their room to proposition the priest. It was so bizarre I kept expecting it to be a dream sequence or a trick,but nope. Looking back the whole scene was darkly hilarious. I like to imagine there was no ulterior motive, they just had the idea in the middle of their per-episode bang session: "Hey guy, I know we just plundered and burned your monastery, murdered all your friends, and took you as a slave, but you wanna hop in the sack? C'mon, we're both reeeaaally hot!" :hawaaaafap:

That poor bastard, though, getting tricked into drunkenly giving away raiding tips.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
I liked the third one. It' still pretty cool to see people being badass in a culture that has relatively little media. Who really knows how much is accurate, but I don't care.

Also, the ONE single thing making the Jarl bearable is that I want to know what happened to his son(s), and was that scene meant to show that even though his wife was talking him up that strongly, he is impotent? I don't think having a floopy would go over too well in this culture.

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
The actress who plays the shieldmaiden is phenomenally attractive. Her facial features are really striking in a perplexing mix of beauty and badassery. I still have a hard time wrapping my head around that the actress who portrays her was born in 1977.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Crisco Kid posted:

That poor bastard, though, getting tricked into drunkenly giving away raiding tips.

I was concerned there would be some sort of "and then Ragnar learned to be a "better" man from the Christian and thus won unlikely success" storyline, so it was kind of refreshing to me to see Ragnar treat the priest as a human being yet not magically stop being Viking-like.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Crisco Kid posted:

This was what I thought was going to happen when Ragnar and his wife bounced out of their room to proposition the priest. It was so bizarre I kept expecting it to be a dream sequence or a trick,but nope. Looking back the whole scene was darkly hilarious. I like to imagine there was no ulterior motive, they just had the idea in the middle of their per-episode bang session: "Hey guy, I know we just plundered and burned your monastery, murdered all your friends, and took you as a slave, but you wanna hop in the sack? C'mon, we're both reeeaaally hot!" :hawaaaafap:

I think the scene was to contrast between Ragnar and the Jarl. The Jarl is paranoid about everyone around him and uses it as an opportunity for an "aha, he really is out to get me" moment while Ragnar just thinks it's weird that he can hear what's going on through the wall and doesn't want in on it like a True Viking.

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

DoggPickle posted:

Also, the ONE single thing making the Jarl bearable is that I want to know what happened to his son(s), and was that scene meant to show that even though his wife was talking him up that strongly, he is impotent? I don't think having a floopy would go over too well in this culture.
I got the same impression from that scene. The Jarl had a dream sequence in the first ep that seems to have been a flashback. I thought there was more than one kid in the hole because he was cut into so many pieces. While that gives enough information to explain his paranoid assholery a little, I am still with the rest of you who think the Jarl character is thinly written.

I am getting serious Medea vibes from Jessalyn Gilsig's character. (Does she have a name?)

They need to lay off the aggressive color correction on Travis Fimmel's eyes. In some scenes he looks like an Underworld vampire.

Casting trivia: I had to look up Travis Fimmel to reassure myself he was not Jax from SoA (ravens + uncanny resemblance messed with my head, too). Turns out he was that blond Tarzan from a few years back. Also Jessalyn Gilsig and Gabriel Byrne voiced father and daughter characters once. Who remembers Quest For Camelot?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It's more a long term cunning plan, sure Ragnar gives up a majority the treasure but he forced through a popularity contest to convince the Jarl to change his raiding plan to go after England.

It's why he got mad at Rollo for taking more than his share since the Jarl still has a big support advantage over Ragnar.

So it's a short term loss for long term gain assuming Ragnar can continue to scheme and out plunder the Jarl while building his reputation.

Remember in Viking culture the two main incentives behind the yearly raiding were financial(slaves to sell/loot) and more importantly a way for a young warrior to build a reputation as a effective military leader.

etalian fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 12, 2013

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

DoggPickle posted:

I don't think having a floopy would go over too well in this culture.

You get a cool name like "The Boneless"

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Pfffffffffft posted:

You get a cool name like "The Boneless"

I love Viking names so much. We're not sure if Ivar the Boneless was called that because he was "so flexible in combat he seemed boneless", whether he had osteogenesis imperfecta, or whether he couldn't get it up.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 12, 2013

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Jarl Haraldson the Rope Pusher

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

BarbarousBertha posted:

They need to lay off the aggressive color correction on Travis Fimmel's eyes. In some scenes he looks like an Underworld vampire.

I kept thinking that too, but sometimes there are other people in the same shot, and even their blue eyes are normal. If those are real, he has the brightest blue-green eyes ever in a human. I'm enjoying the actor though. He has this crazy "I'm just freaking awesome" vibe about him, and so far it's been justified, so it comes off cool and not cocky.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

saganite posted:

The actress who plays the shieldmaiden is phenomenally attractive. Her facial features are really striking in a perplexing mix of beauty and badassery. I still have a hard time wrapping my head around that the actress who portrays her was born in 1977.

I'm a straight girl, but I think she is very pretty too. Probably not a guy thing, but I like how they did her hair for the voyage. That only makes her 36. 30 is the new 20.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

DoggPickle posted:

I'm a straight girl, but I think she is very pretty too. Probably not a guy thing, but I like how they did her hair for the voyage. That only makes her 36. 30 is the new 20.

It's a realistic age for a person with a 12 year old son, especially if she had the time to build up a reputation as a fighter before settling down.

silly
Jul 15, 2004

"I saw it get by the mound, and I saw Superman at second base."
I was all-in after the first two episodes but the third raised some doubts. I was willing to accept the Earl character to a point but now he just seems unabashed evil without much sense. I just hope Gabriel Byrne is just a one-season credibility sign-on and this doesn't turn into some kind of Jax-Clay thing that just simmers on boringly forever.

And then there's this whole bring your wife to raid thing and leave this random foreigner to run your farm. Willing suspension of disbelief is just wearing down.

Still onboard for now though, we'll see what happens on this raid.

TemetNosceXVIcubus
Sep 8, 2011

by Pipski

silly posted:

And then there's this whole bring your wife to raid thing and leave this random foreigner to run your farm. Willing suspension of disbelief is just wearing down.

Still onboard for now though, we'll see what happens on this raid.

Leaving the priest to run things is pretty much a trust thing. He cut the rope, but left the chains of bondage intact. The priest can't run away, because there is nowhere to run to. He won't gently caress the kids, because he has more or less been "tested", and the kids he's been left with are already more battle ready than the priest. If the priest had put up a fight somewhere along the line, he wouldn't have got the job.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

DoggPickle posted:

I kept thinking that too, but sometimes there are other people in the same shot, and even their blue eyes are normal. If those are real, he has the brightest blue-green eyes ever in a human. I'm enjoying the actor though. He has this crazy "I'm just freaking awesome" vibe about him, and so far it's been justified, so it comes off cool and not cocky.

I literally thought this was just me having consumed some drugs/streaming from my PC to TV or something. Glad I didn't make it up.

Also going to vehemently agree that Katheryn Winnick is absolutely stunning, and the way she plays her character is also pretty attractive in its own right.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

DoggPickle posted:

Oh thank god somebody else noticed this. I see the green often enough, but his eyes occasionally are a light violet. Ragnar sounds close enough to Aegon right? :toot:

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

Oh thank god somebody else noticed this. I see the green often enough, but his eyes occasionally are a light violet. Ragnar sounds close enough to Aegon right? :toot:

Except they didn't go with purple for any of the Targaryens in game of thrones!

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

So the 'Eric' character looked familiar to me...

here he is learning to steer in his youth, before he could grow a beard:

turns out, the actor (Vladimir Kulich) was the leader in The 13th Warrior as well as the voice of Ulfric Stormcloak in Skyrim. He does look pretty vikingish so fair enough.

Qmass fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 13, 2013

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Qmass posted:

So the 'Eric' character looked familiar to me... turns out, he was the leader in The 13th Warrior as well as Ulfric Stormcloak in Skyrim. He does look pretty vikingish so fair enough.

One of the Vikings is played by the same guy who was the warrior that managed to keep killing despite an arrow through the god drat neck in Kingdom of Heaven.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

doctor 7 posted:

One of the Vikings is played by the same guy who was the warrior that managed to keep killing despite an arrow through the god drat neck in Kingdom of Heaven.
oh drat, I know exactly who you are talking about now that you mention it too.

just looking at imdb again, it looks like Donal Logue is in at least 2 upcoming episodes.

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost
I also have to say I LOVE the way they're handling the different languages. That's a really nice touch that doesn't usually get enough attention. My only wish would've been no subtitles in episode 3 when they land on the beach and meet the king's men.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Qmass posted:

So the 'Eric' character looked familiar to me...

here he is learning to steer in his youth, before he could grow a beard:

turns out, the actor (Vladimir Kulich) was the leader in The 13th Warrior as well as the voice of Ulfric Stormcloak in Skyrim. He does look pretty vikingish so fair enough.

He was also in Ironclad too, I guess he has the viking dude casting market cornered.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
In regards to Travis Fimmel's eyes, I was watching The Baytown Outlaws last night (really fun movie, like a redneck Smokin' Aces) and there are a couple of shots where his eyes are borderline Vikings blue, so I think at the very least, it's just the editing as a whole, not specifically on his eyes. Dude's just got some eyes where a little editing goes a long way.

Nthing the feelings on the Jarl and his wife. He seems pretty cartoonishly evil at this point, so I hope they either explain his character soon or are setting up the stage for Ragnar killing him in some awesome fashion. And they're trying so hard for a Cersei/Lucretia-style wife, but I just don't see Jessalyn Gilsig pulling it off (I haven't been able to take her seriously for years, I think).

I also really love how they've handled the languages in this show. I know other productions must have done the same, but I can't help but think of it as the Hunt for Red October effect.

Also, The Thirteenth Warrior was one of those movies my brother would watch at least once a week when we were kids, wore out several of the VHS tapes doing so, so I wasn't surprised when the character of Erik came up and he rattled off the entire "Lo, there do I see my father..." prayer.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
Vikings have the best haircuts. Are the styles used in the show based on historical information of any kind?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

While I agree the Jarl isn't a very interesting character, I don't necessarily think he drags the show down. He's clearly being depicted as some sort of tragic Shakespearean ruler who's losing his mind with grief and paranoia and is possibly being manipulated by his wife, gradually destroying everything around him to satiate his own insecurities. It's clichéd and I don't think they can pull it off for an entire season, but it works for now and aids in depicting Ragnar as likeable protagonist despite the fact that he's a complete piece of poo poo by any modern standard.

Man, this show rules.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Conquistador posted:

Also going to vehemently agree that Katheryn Winnick is absolutely stunning, and the way she plays her character is also pretty attractive in its own right.

She's Scarlett Johansson-esque,

:allears:

It's a amusing show which gets a few things right such as the monk massacre but still not enough sparks in the overall story to make it the type of show to tell other people for watch it conversations.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
Honestly, I would be happy if it never became a riveting character-based drama, just a Viking slice-of-life where we learn about using stones to polarize light, primitive sea-faring, and maybe smoking fish or hunting. In this episode, Ragnar and Ragnar Jr. go to a Thing; in the next episode, the shield maidenette helps tan some hides, etc etc. I know that's not the direction they're going based on the source material, but it would still be fascinating in a low-key way. Sort of like how the Viking-centric manga Vinland Saga has plenty of battle sequences, yet the arc about farming became a fan favorite.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

I, for one, would be perfectly happy to have something on TV where characters that hate each other with utter contempt don't "work together" because it makes the plot "more interesting" (aka. completely unrealistic). Hell on Wheels, another gritty time piece, started great but rapidly poo poo itself because of that.

I'm just tired of shows where you know what'll happen based on the now-cliche as hell plot of people who hate each other working together because no one has specific skill-set whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Crisco Kid posted:

Honestly, I would be happy if it never became a riveting character-based drama, just a Viking slice-of-life where we learn about using stones to polarize light, primitive sea-faring, and maybe smoking fish or hunting. In this episode, Ragnar and Ragnar Jr. go to a Thing; in the next episode, the shield maidenette helps tan some hides, etc etc. I know that's not the direction they're going based on the source material, but it would still be fascinating in a low-key way. Sort of like how the Viking-centric manga Vinland Saga has plenty of battle sequences, yet the arc about farming became a fan favorite.

For some reason the slice of life and somewhat realistic approach to things such as the monastery destruction were more memorable than the developing story arc and the forced confrontations with the Earl.

I liked how the whole monastery scene was so terrifying with all the monks realizing that they were going to die and the culture shock between the two groups before the Vikings started to casually slaughter them all except for the few slaves.

• Locked thread