Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

You know what a city that is still recovering from billions of dollars in hurricane damage needs? A pool in the middle of a river!

I love the pages and pages of CGI renders and marketing buzzwords compared to the one small paragraph three quarters of the way down where they admit that so far all they've done is do is a small filtration test and that this might not actually work at all. Or the stinger that even if its technologically feasible they have no idea whether or not they can even get permits for the thing.

It's like the ball pit in an abandoned house except it raised 100 times as much money. Hopefully that means it will be 100 times as funny once it fails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Just what I've always wanted, a mug that I can't use with my right hand.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Finally, stripper clothes you can wear when you're not stripping!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Jedit posted:

Just what we all needed - a way to stop people tracking us via our mobile phones, for a mere $85!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/offpocket/off-pocket?ref=home_spotlight

Alternatively, you could use the Off button.

Uh, how many of these are on Kickstarter??

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Jedit posted:

I don't know, but this one was on the front page and had a Staff Recommended badge so it deserves increased mockery.

Oh wow, I didn't notice it just started and has a ton of money raised. I bet the Rapp it up guys are kicking themselves for not making better infographics and using iphones in their pictures.

And the minimum reward to get one is $75? That's twice as much as the Rapp It Up!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Nnep posted:

instawinks

At first I thought it was some sort of printer that would communicate with your phone somehow and print out various photos with 90s hologram technology, but apparently it's just some service that mails you them for an exorbitant price.

pay for my vacation and i'll also paint some sears buildings

This got me thinking about a couple other successfully funded instagram-polaroid-related projects from last year. Let's check in on them!

Impossible Instant Lab is a polaroid camera that uses actual polaroid film and takes a picture of your phone's screen so you can print out your fake polaroids on actual polaroid film. It's just about to start shipping to backers and should be at retail next month.

The Instacube didn't fare so well. It's a digital photo frame that connects to instagram and displays pictures. They apparently blew the $600,000 and are now seeking out investors to raise another $600,000 to complete the first production run. Keep in mind they only had a $250,000 goal. Oh, and they're willing to issue refunds after the first run is produced and shipped.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

OrganizedInsanity posted:

Donald Trump's got you covered . Just remember that they'll take 9% of your funds if it doesn't fund.

9%/5% is about the same as indiegogo (9%/4%) and kickstarter (5% for funded projects).

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

OrganizedInsanity posted:

Wait, Indie-gogo takes money from you when you don't fund?

Well, only with flexible funding, so 99% of indiegogo projects.
http://www.indiegogo.com/how-pricing-works-on-indiegogo

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Happitoo posted:

For some reason, this one really bothers me:

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/save-encore-cinemas

It's for a cheap movie theater near where I live.

For starters, the entire point of the kickstarter is they don't have enough capital to update their business. But they use flex funding. So even if they don't get enough money to update, and therefore stay in business, they're still going to run off with your money.

On top of that, all their rewards are predicated on them staying in business. If you pledge to get movies for 6 months, they don't make their goals, and they're not in business for 6 months they just ran off with your money and you get poo poo.

Flex funding in this case is complete bullshit. Those projectors have a finite cost. You know exactly how much money you need to update the theater as a whole. If each projector is $50,000 and you need 2, that's $100,000. It's not like if you raise $25k the people selling the projectors are going to go "oh, ok, you tried your best... here's a cookie and a projector." So why the gently caress would you do flex funding when you know it's impossible to deliver if you reach below your goal? Oh... ya, because that way you can run off with people's money when you close shop.

The entire thing just screams "Hey, I'm going to run off with your money". At least if they didn't use flex funding it wouldn't scream scam. But then they'd never get their money.

I'm kind of conflicted when it comes to Flexible Funding. Before Kickstarter, someone seeking donations online would just set up a Paypal account and take as much money as they could raise. About five years ago, my local historical theatre went around town soliciting donations and nobody was upset that their ten dollar donation didn't come with a guarantee that it would keep them in business.

Kickstarter changed all that, not only by using an all-or-nothing goal, but mostly by popularizing donation incentives. People started to treat their donations as pre-order purchases rather than donations. People started to price their rewards at lower prices than the potential product would sell at retail because if they priced them higher, it would draw complaints. It should have been treated like PBS fundraisers where you had to donate $100 for a tote bag or whatever.

But at least with Kickstarter you knew the minimum amount of money that could be raised. You could make your own judgement of whether or not they could deliver on their promised rewards with the money they requested. With Indiegogo those rewards can be really misleading. I kind of wish they would not allow rewards on flexible funding campaigns.

Although the theater project you linked is actually one of the least offensive ones I've seen. The rewards do depend on them staying in business, but they are things that don't cost them much so you know they won't blow their money on them or fail to deliver if they DO succeed. Also it doesn't sound like they will go out of business if they don't raise their goal, so they could put that money to use elsewhere or hold on to it and look for other investors to complete their digital conversion.

I was kind of sad to see this line in there:

quote:

Over the past six months, we have experienced backlash from guests who insist on digital presentations or 3D where we can only play 2D.
3D is a fad that won't be around much longer, and I don't even know the visual difference between a "digital presentation" and a 35mm print. It sounds like staying with their old system really restricts their selection of movies to show but I have to wonder if going digital would really "save" the theater after all.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

A Good Username posted:

Who cares about OUYA? Soon we're all going to be playing unlimited numbers of procedurally generated games.
Playing them anywhere.
On a wall. On a car. On a door.
Coming in 2014.
OTON

This is the biggest scam ever. They took money last year on their site (otonx.com, though the domain expired yesterday) and then kind of disappeared.

Here's the "CEO"'s reply to someone on their facebook page saying it's a scam:

quote:

I'm going to be as professional and polite as possible with my reply Maksim. I will not allow you or anyone else to defame my hard work, and work of my team with false lies and false rumors. 1.) We have the specifications for the current board for the OTON use at OTONX.com. 2.) We have spoke with a vendor sir if we hit a certain volume we can get volume discount. I been doing this for 10 years sir and I do have a better handle on the development of a game console more than you think. We will only use the best parts for our console and to meet a price point that people can afford. As for the Kinect feature sir, we also have a vendor that will provide a near similar function for OTON if we meet our volume goals. 3.) I'm going to say this and say it once. I Have Develop A Algorithm that create games!!! It is clearly in the video sir! No it's not complete just like any other start up or project. For some reason we're not allowed to have a working model but others get a pass. Why is that sir? The games will be different! You play the same games over and over on other systems for years and plunk your money down like nothing! So don't come to my FB page saying my tech isn't real sir! Our system will use the same quality and care to develop games. It seem that folks are mad that I worked my butt off for three years and found a better way to improve an out dated console model sir! 4.) Sir my EVO units sold out and sir for the record those units were beta units for testing so we could get feedback. So don't come on my FB with miss leading facts. We're pleased with our EVO console. 5). Sir I have no intentions taking anyone money if we don't make our goal. Flexible spending was based on votes and feedback from this very community! So stop looking for a reason to bring lies to my LIFE work! If you don't support us move on. And last sir! I created a Android console before Ouya almost two years before these guys...it's just they had the media coverage we didn't get. I will close with this sir! Don't come on my FB pages spreading lies and miss information about my work that I have spent my money, my time and love for this industry on. It's obvious some other issues are going on for people to think we are trying to scam folks and it has nothing to do with OTON.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They're not pants but here's an Indiegogo project for Wearable Wallets. Finally the wallet:human dynamic has been revolutionised by combining them with state-of-the-art technology (clips and belts)!!!

What's up with the third person here?

Just clip it on your bra, that you're wearing backwards...

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Machai posted:

So the breasts don't usually go in the front?

Oh, it's obvious now. All I could see was a profile of her facing away in her hair on the right.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Maera Sior posted:

The Tiny Inconspicuous Handcuff Key, for when you're unlawfully restrained. Proudly made in the USA! :patriot:
This is great.

quote:

The TIHK is meant to be part of your Everyday Carry so it is there when you need it.

Yes, it will go great with your handgun, flashlight, and multiple foldout knives.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Zybourne Clock posted:

Things you can use to separate egg yolk:
* Your hand
* A strainer
* Your friend's hand
* An empty bottle
* Two cracked eggshells
* An 8 dollar plastic gadget

It amuses me that this guy isn't even the first person to launch a KickStarter for this idea.

Here's one that came out a year ago I saw on Quirky today:
http://www.quirky.com/products/426

Seems like everyone decided to make one of these things at the same time.

edit:

quote:

I got the idea for The YolkVac a little over a year ago after watching a viral Youtube video of someone using a water bottle to separate an egg.
I guess that explains it.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Leroy Diplowski posted:

I don't know if this has been posted, but it shows the danger of being a victim of your own success.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1649827049/kerfluffles-marshmallows-all-natural-handmade-yumm/comments

I just feel bad for all of the people who received moldy mallows.

Yummy

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

monster on a stick posted:

Also you won't have to pay $50 since it's not going to get funded.

($3,200 for a vent hood?)

If you read, he actually spent $8,000 of the $10,000 he apparently netted after fees and backers pulling out just buying the vent hood. The money now is just to install it.

Last I heard he had found a used vent hood for a lot cheaper. 8k seems ridiculous, but I'm not in the vent hood business and I haven't kept up on the project since it was funded.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

dijon du jour posted:

Besides, the actual hot dogs he sells shoot laser beams and are surrounded by the blood of their enemies. :black101:

It's funny, those hot dogs look way better than the old picture, but then he made it tiny and mspainted all over it. It's like he scanned it from a cookbook and needed to disguise it.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

TetsuoTW posted:

Oh wow, a Humble Bundle knock-off that has lower standards than Indie Royale?

Man, the only good Indie Royale offering was their first one, which included Gemini Rue, Nimbus, Sanctum, and ARES for $3 or whatever. I've received 89 emails from them since then and nothing else has ever looked any good.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Nenonen posted:

Just google 'camera stick' and you'll find a plethora in the market. What's different with this one is that it's got a button on the handle that instructs the camera via bluetooth, whereas the traditional ones rely on a timer function on the camera.

Although you can download an application to turn any bluetooth device like your handsfree set into a remote shutter, so again, why bother.

You could also google "tripod" to find another device that works for this purpose.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

TTBF posted:

Ever wanted a pinata in the shape of a Minecraft block? Luckily there's a kickstarter for that! And don't worry, this won't be a failure - with a funding goal of only $1, funding has already been met.

Check out his video to see him destroy an "unrefined diamond" (blue egg pinata) with a golf putter.

When did Kickstarter make the minimum goal $1? Were they tired of missing out on that sweet indiegogo flex funding money?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Frozen-Solid posted:

The Pebble smart watch wasn't cool. You know what's cool? The same exact thing only 6x the size and straight out of Star Trek/Fallout! Check out this hilarious "wrist communicator"

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-rufus-cuff-more-than-a-smartwatch-a-wrist-communicator

At least I can respect them for using fixed funding.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Wow, good for Doobie. Is the frog painted on the side yet?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Is this a... rack mounted clock? :psyduck:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

TetsuoTW posted:

Literal scam involving impossible technology and flexible funding - That's cool, just make sure you make us a big-rear end cut, k?

It seems like it should be up to the backers to decide whether or not tech is impossible before donating, not indiegogo.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Zeether posted:

Remember Bob's Game? He's trying to do a KS for it (again): https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bobsgame/bobs-game?ref=discovery

Can't wait to see how this poo poo turns out.

Will this guy never disappear?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Hopefully never.

Wow, I apparently haven't visited his website recently. The front page is a 60,000 word (130 pages single-spaced) autobiography about him. :stare:

http://bobsgame.com/

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

KittyLitter posted:

What,s that? Free email service? For KIDS?!!?!?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/buggmail/buggmail-free-and-safe-email-for-kids-free-games-a?ref=category

No... He didn't just straight up jack the logo from the Cricut Company for his campaign. Why do you ask?

All the kids are emailing these days!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

This hilariously impossible device has passed its proposed ship date. I'm sticking with my original feeling that it will never see the light of day, or if it does, it will be based on existing technology (Stirling or Peltier) and put out a few mA of current - not enough to charge a phone.

This guy did a good writeup of why it will never work.
http://www.solarheatengines.com/2013/03/02/why-the-one-puck-wont-work/

He figures it will only put out 0.18 Watts in realistic (but generous) conditions.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

You guys are crazy. It will end at 7 million or so.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Unfortunate timing for sure, but it's not that surprising. Seems like there's been a string of layoffs at Harmonix every six months for the past few years. The death of plastic instrument video games took a toll on them.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Otisburg posted:

Is there much to the video besides "it would be high maintenance and less practical than tons of other surfaces we could solarize first?"

Cause I'm not sitting thru a thunderf00t video, unless it's him being savaged by wolves or lowered into a cauldron of angry scorpions or something.

I don't know who thunderf00t is but it was a pretty good breakdown of all the problems with it. And then at the end he spends a couple minutes talking about his haters and how he's not being paid off by anyone, and promoting his own crowdfunding. So I can kind of see why you don't like him.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

O Hanraha-hanrahan posted:

Another smartwatch: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ritot-the-first-projection-watch

But this one has a pico projector to display all your notifications right on your hand where everyone can see them. As demonstrated by this sinister character:

Alright maybe it's kind of an interesting gimmick, I like the minimalism you get from not having a screen, but there's not a single detail about how it works beyond it using "special projector technology". Every image of it is a 3D render or Photoshop mockup on smarmy stock art models. Reading into it they don't even seem to have a functioning prototype. So, pay $120+ for these guys to get their idea past the back-of-a-napkin stage without any proof that it actually works, and maybe you'll get something in a few years time. Naturally it's flexible funding.

Their Gantt chart has it shipping in Feburary, which seems crazy.

I bet they'll be able to produce something that does what they say, but it will be disappointing. Hands are lumpy and projecting at that low of angle will make a crappy image. And be sure not to bend your wrist down to a negative angle because it won't be able to project at all! :gay:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

But it's so much better than Pebble!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

So the "Epiphany onE Puck" (the coaster that charges your iphone with a cup of coffee) is probably safe to call a scam now. No word from the creator in several months, and backers are getting restless.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/epiphanylabs/epiphany-one-puck/comments

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

That's what Ken Burns is up to these days?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Found on that Kickended site:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1724033185/mortal-kombat-final-kombat

And from the update page!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

bvoid posted:

hey could someone please post an Awful Kickstarter thank you

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/the6thfinger/6thfinger-keep-games-or-apps-active-without-human?ref=category

I assume this has something to do with free-to-play games and collecting currency.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

pathetic little tramp posted:

But there's apparently no way to program it - so you can't just have it tap on a dumb button over and over to farm gold or whatever, it taps randomly and tries to rotate the screen over and over?

They don't explain anything with it. It looks like it's "powered" by the headphone jack, so maybe you need to be playing music loudly for it to even work.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The Devo Documentary kickstarter is pretty aggravating. The original release date was August 2013. The last update was in February saying they were trying to edit it down 15 minutes for release, and that August 2014 was the new target date. No real updates since then, apart from the creator popping up every so often to post a video clip from the film (the last one was three months ago).

I understand that two of the band members have died since production started and that probably put a kink in things, but finish the drat film already! Or at least be extremely transparent during the process so people know what's going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

homewrecker posted:

So this ring that was supposed to let you control everything through hand gestures:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1761670738/ring-shortcut-everything

is apparently a terrible product:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBUWxROnqwA

Oh wow. Apart from products that never get made, that looks like the worst resulting product from a technology kickstarter I've seen. $165 for that?!