Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

...$2,200 to make a shirt for a bunch of people? What the gently caress? How do people completely miss the point of Kickstarter so often?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Paper Gazelle posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/collectors/collectors-can-a-comic-book-collection-survive-mar?ref=category
He really doesn't ask for that much, only 1800 dollars. He is trying to fund a printed version of his web comic about some guy who apparently collects comics and how his wife doesn't approve. He will still offer his hilarious comic online, so why should people buy his prints? Well, there will be even MORE comics about how the wife disapproves of the comics!

Good God that's a terrible drawing. AND he made it the cover of the first issue.

I also love this line: "Also, everyone knows that the first issue of any comic series will be worth millions in the future!" Well, you sold me, Eddie.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Noyemi K posted:

I knew, from the very second I saw the name, that it'd be flexible funding. Hmmm, wonder why that is...

Is there any reason not to do Flexible Funding on IndieGoGo? I don't think I've ever seen a project that doesn't have it.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

My jaw dropped during the video for this. What in the gently caress was that??? I have no idea what the product was, the animation thing that took up 80% of the video made no sense (and was unbelievably poorly done), and to top it all off, "It's not just gamging." Holy poo poo.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

DStecks posted:

That second kickstarter you linked is a horrible idea. In the event the link ever goes dead, the kickstarter is for dice made of wood. Wood is not an internally homogeneous substance, so those dice will roll idiosyncratically.

In English, the dice won't roll randomly. They'll have some numbers they favour and some numbers that rarely come up, because wood has variable density and other little things that are part of being a naturally forming substance, that make it a terrible material to make dice out of.

Not to mention they look like poo poo, judging by the pictures he posted.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Iron Prince posted:

I don't really know what to make of this one. I was just browsing around local projects. Apparently St. Paul the Apostle was reincarnated as a 21 year old guy in Newfoundland, Canada. Who knew?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1806558764/st-paul-reincarnated-twice?ref=home_location

The intro video is the creepiest thing I've ever heard.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Cyril Sneer posted:

This is from a few pages back but these are both good ideas and I would probably buy them, though not at the listed prices.

You should consider buying pants that are the correct length.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

DancingPenguin posted:

That is probably some of the worst rewards I have ever seen.
3000$ to get a preview of a review from a newly started review-channel?

$4000 for a DVD filled with a bunch of YouTube videos. Yup.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

FallinInTheBlak posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/198369721/the-epic-video-game-project?ref=sidebar

Let's give two people who have not yet made a successful game $250,000 to make 5 games. What could go wrong?

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

"We'll see you on the high scores"

Ugh. :suicide:

Depressing Drawers posted:

Minimum pledge reward - $100.00

Good luck with that one guys.

This is so obviously a joke, you guys.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
I think you're severely overthinking this joke.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

tlarn posted:

Are you tired of Family Guy yet? Apparently there are people who aren't, and there are people who want to try and get their own show in the fray. Contemplate upon Monkey-Chicken's first mistake it commits with its video.

4 backers, $1,510. Uhhhhhhh

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Orzo posted:

What does autism have to do with Kickstarter (nonstarter)?

Because the collective internet has decided to use "autism" as a blanket insult for people that have awkward social graces or nervous ticks.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Over $1000 now with 4 weeks to go. :toot:

And of course he begins the slow process of beating it to a pulp by creating "merch" for it (see: any animal-centric Youtube video with more than 1,000,000 views)

quote:

We're making a lot of great progress. I think it's time for us to think about getting hats made. I added a new donor level for people who want hats. For those who are interested the hats could look like this: http://www.zazzle.com/i_love_potato_salad_mesh_hat-148005376484063142

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Somebody needs to quote the picture because GOD drat :stonk:

Nightmare.jpg

Seriously that's like the most unappealing thing I've ever seen in my entire life. Kill it with fire, from orbit.

sweet i've always wanted to get cranked off by a tumor'd up Hellboy hand

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
Did anyone from that reddit thread in that article ask the creator to explain this butt photoshop job?

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

"Suspended" is different than "Cancelled," isn't it? Or am I misremembering?

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wibberding/the-card-clip

This guy is either completely unaware of his surroundings, or he's advertising for Costco. Or both.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Oh there's so much more that this guy is unaware of ...

Sure, but do the makers of those "card clips" do jumping jacks after every sale?

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
hey could someone please post an Awful Kickstarter thank you

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Stick Insect posted:

why not post some yourself?

i did, and there was one post about it before people started talking about cat calling or whatever

Therion posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1246820613/blood-sport-the-ultimate-in-immersive-gaming

A device that drains your blood via a syringe each time you get hit in a video game. Immersion!

this reeked of "performance art" at first glance, but yeah it just seems like a nerdy blood drive. they need $250k to travel across Canada and buy medical equipment, and I'm not sure I should trust these people with my blood.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Rosalind posted:

hilariously awkward Gamergate meet-up

You can't just say something like that and not share a link or something.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
e: nvm

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

TraderStav posted:

I had to read this sentence three times to realize that it didn't say CHLOROFORM.

quote:

Third-I would love "COLORFORMS" to pick me but if they do not I need PLAN B!

This guy is good.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Zybourne Clock posted:

Ben invented a new kind of battery that runs on biofuel which will keep your phone charged for over a month. If you're going to scam us, the least you could do is not point out that your prototype is made of tic-tac boxes.

Our current four pixel, single-ply biological battery

They say they have a prototype that's been charging a phone for three months, but the only picture we get is a lovely-looking mess of electro-bits connected to an LED? This has to be a joke.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

I don't know how to feel about this:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/265641170/kraftwerk-highly-innovative-portable-power-plant

The idea isn't bad for things like camping/hiking/etc..., but that video is just full of WTF?

From the weird belly tat guy walking up and posing refilling his Kraftwerk, to taking it to a coffee shop and work...places literally full of outlets and USB ports...to then giving one as a gift to his wife in a box you'd expect jewelry to be in, and then her revealing her own Kraftwerk...again, that she is using in a place FULL of outlets.

I like the totally appropriate and necessary shot of belly tat dude glancing over at the "hot chick in the cafe," and the twist at the end that he has a wife/girlfriend/findom.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Holy poo poo, it really takes balls to sell shrink wrap as some revolutionary new product. Reminds me of Soylent. God nerds are dumb.

B-b-but it's different!

Heat shrink kickstarter posted:

What is the difference between Sleev and standard heat shrink?

The main differences between Sleev and standard heat shrink include the quality. The quality of standard heat shrink is generally lower as compared to that of Sleev. Also, once Sleev is placed on the wire, the center is rigid while the ends remain flexible, allowing for free movement while protecting the integrity of your wire. This free movement is possible because of the several different shrink ratios found throughout Sleev, which is not found in standard heat shrink.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

ErIog posted:

The crazy thing is how that's something in a FAQ. As a marketing thing, the difference between their product and normal heat shrink wrapping should be loving front and center. There should A/B comparison shots saying, "Yo, our product is different from this bullshit over here. Here's how." That's not something you just footnote if you are going up against an established product. Nobody who wants to know how it's different(if it even is) is going to bother to read their FAQ.

I also like that they show a lighter being used to shrink it in their graphic about how it works. Then in the text it also tells people to use a lighter. They didn't run any of this poo poo by a lawyer, obviously.

They should use their kickstarter money to pay someone good at marketing to re-do their kickstarter page.

I'd wager a guess that their market is "people who don't know what heat shrink is."

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
shut the gently caress up you nerds and donate to this knee-jerk Kickstarter

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/958078205/thedress

"I have no idea what I'm doing but I think this might work give me money"

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
I think the "Fool me once..." adage is pretty appropriate right now.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Sleeveless posted:

Remember that legally-dubious show about a bunch of internet weirdos entrapping people for entertainment under the guise of justice? You know, the one that didn't actually get very many convictions, was widely criticized and rejected by actual law enforcement, and is directly responsible for multiple suicides?

It's back, in Kickstarter form!

TCAP rules.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Xandu posted:

The sad thing is, I don't even think this is the first kickstarter based on that concept. There was another one that was some sort of magic underwear for strip clubs.

I think that one had the opposite effect, wherein the underwear had a slick, "lube-like" texture that helped you cum from a lapdance.

I can't believe I just typed that.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
I'm glad that even mentally unstable dummies can scam people out of money with Kickstarter.

Oh, the Kickstarter itself even looks like absolute dogshit. A fool and his money etc etc.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

ALFbrot posted:

From the comment section:

quote:

I don't expect this project to be successful. There is no reason for my to expect that. As you and Geist have already pointed out, none of my project so far have been. (Although I should point out that even though my projects have not been successfully funded they were finished successfully.

So what in the gently caress is the point of his Kickstarters if he's able to finish them without funding?

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Here's the kicker:

You can GET black Chapstick.

Yeah but is that "Great for EDC (Everyday Carry) tactical"???

Also :laffo: at $5 for one stick.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
this thread got extremely lovely, extremely quickly

I'm surprised how polished this kickstarter is considering what it is. Also, what exactly is it?

Jerry Seinfeld has a new favorite as of 12:48 on Jul 2, 2015

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
good posts guys hilarious awful kickstarters y'all are posting keep it up

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

ErIog posted:

Listen, CJacobs is the god-king emperor decider person about how other people should spend their money, and this is bad! You can't like, question it, man. There's a project, and CJacobs doesn't like that project so therefore it's a bad Kickstarter. Same goes for all the other products CJacobs doesn't buy. If they were good things then CJacobs would purchase them, but CJacobs does not purchase them so therefore they are not good. CJacobs never wastes money on frivolities themselves.

Also, we all know that publishers provide infinite funding for games so therefore there's no reason a developer would ever see a need for having more resources to work on the project they want to work on. That's just sound logic, and like I said, CJacobs kind of calls the shots on this, so I hope that helps.

Jesus Christ, this is the biggest overreaction to a post I've seen in a long time.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Phanatic posted:

This guy wants people to pay for his moving expenses to Portland and they get mad and then he gets upset:

http://www.gofundme.com/fuzt6zgk

All I see is people making fun of him in the comments, and no response from the creator. Am I missing something?

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

freelop posted:

Is your overpriced laptop not attracting attention anymore?
Is only having to carry the laptop too convenient?

Well for only $75 at retail price you too can balance your tech on a high stand so everyone can see it.
Benefits include:
Having to now carry about a keyboard and mouse
Watching as it all topples over as someone walks past with a wide bag and clips it

They've sold these at every major electronics retailer since laptops have existed. I'm pretty sure I've seen one that looks exactly like the one in the picture as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Azubah posted:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/retro-vgs#/story

It's a retro style game system for modern games using the same mold of the highly successful atari jaguar.

Wow, that's a pretty nice looking controller prototype they have here!

...hold up

Eh, just a coincidence I suppose.